Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcurt

I would rather Conte than Ole.

Is Conte my first choice, no not at all.

I wouldn't have taken Tuchel a year ago and now seeing what he has done at Chelsea that feels foolish. With Conte he is a winner and his team's aren't as boring as many would like to make out. He sets up a team will to be solid and attack as a unit.

With him I think we would atleast get back to have a shape and style of play (whatever that maybe). An I'm certain he would find the 14-15 players to build a first team around and get them playing to their level.

I will always respect Ole, we have a better squad than when he joined and he will forever be a legend, sadly it hasn't worked out and he needs to go ASAP.

Xaviboy

Will coach the team and play a system with identity (Which is what is missing) and most importantly will show passion and drive. Never sits down from the touchline and looks lost as a coach when things not going to plan. Only negativity is some of the playes currently in the squad will get overlooked as won't fit in to his system or style.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Somehow it completely slipped my mind you have Telles - I genuinely think he could be an Alonso-level attacking LWB in the right system.

Cheers for the chat though mate; appreciate you sharing your perspective!
Cheers to you too. It's been a pleasant chat and a good to learn a different perspective like yours

ShinjiNinja26

Ole isn't the right fit either Gary but i dont hear you talking

So a serial winner isn’t the right fit for Utd but a man who relegated Cardiff in his last stint as manager in the PL is?? Great logic Gary, and you actually get paid to give your opinion on football matters? :houllier:

Conte isn’t my preferred option due to his defensive style and volatile nature but give me him any day over this current shite, might be a short term rollercoaster ride but if we come out the end of it with a league title then I’m all for it.

BigRon1985

I'm open-minded to be honest. He'd certainly smash the culture of cronyism that's rampant throughout the club and it would be nice to see some rage and passion on the sidelines instead of a statue.....:)

passing-wind

Conte answers many tactical issues at the club, his teams are organised, defensively solid and keep the ball better than anything Solskjaer has offered in his managerial career. I would understand the lack of desire to transition to Conte if we had Flick, Guardiola or Klopp in charge but Solskjaer is significantly below these calibre of managers. Conte is a monumental upgrade his character is the only question given his issues with hierarchy.

Teja

We can give him a short contract and see how it goes as Chelsea did with Tuchel.. he's out of a job already, can't see him refusing a deal from now until end of next season.

I don't think we can get coaches who are already successful at their clubs on this type of deal (Ten Hag, Rose etc.). It's another long contract and another potential expensive failure.

The feeling amongst the fanbase and the club I think is that the rebuild is done and we should start winning, so he won't get a chance to stay in the job if he's just barely hitting top four and winning the EL like our previous. managers have.

Keep Phelan and coaches around for continuity. Get rid of Carrick / McKenna / Ole.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Conte answers many tactical issues at the club, his teams are organised, defensively solid and keep the ball better than anything Solskjaer has offered in his managerial career. I would understand the lack of desire to transition to Conte if we had Flick, Guardiola or Klopp in charge but Solskjaer is significantly below these calibre of managers. Conte is a monumental upgrade his character is the only question given his issues with hierarchy.
Around 52% possession in the last two seasons, 6th in serie A. Organised and defensively solid maybe but he's certainly no Pep possession wise, I can predict the complaints now.

telstar96

I'm curious to know why some aren't keen on Conte. Is it the style of play? The formation? His personality?

Personally, I believe Conte would be a fantastic fit for United from both a tactical and cultural standpoint.

Conte played under Lippi for many years at Juventus and you can see Lippi's pragmatism in Conte's style. SAF has said before he's an admirer of Lippi and tried to model his United team in the 90's on the Juventus team at the time. So considering this, I can't really understand this narrative of Conte not being in line with the 'United Way'. In my opinion, he would be the best fit culturally speaking post Fergie.

If you look at the teams he managed, they're never shy of goals whilst boasting defensive solidity. He does favour a 3 at the back, but we've seen United play in this formation under Ole and excel in games against quality opposition (PSG away 2020, City home 2020). So I think we do have the personnel for this formation and Conte could really take us to the next level tactically, an area where Ole is lacking.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm curious to know why some aren't keen on Conte. Is it the style of play? The formation? His personality?

Personally, I believe Conte would be a fantastic fit for United from both a tactical and cultural standpoint.

Conte played under Lippi for many years at Juventus and you can see Lippi's pragmatism in Conte's style. SAF has said before he's an admirer of Lippi and tried to model his United team in the 90's on the Juventus team at the time. So considering this, I can't really understand this narrative of Conte not being in line with the 'United Way'. In my opinion, he would be the best fit culturally speaking post Fergie.

If you look at the teams he managed, they're never shy of goals whilst boasting defensive solidity. He does favour a 3 at the back, but we've seen United play in this formation under Ole and excel in games against quality opposition (PSG away 2020, City home 2020). So I think we do have the personnel for this formation and Conte could really take us to the next level tactically, an area where Ole is lacking.
Tevez actually compared Conte to Fergie when he played under the former.

While Conte will never do a 26 year stint at a club there is a similarity in how relentlessly consistent they are in league football.

When our last ex manager went to United I didn't care because I knew he was done as a very top manager, will feel the complete opposite if this one goes through, will give you a very strong chance of the title if you do it quickly (ala now).

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

While Conte will never do a 26 year stint at a club there is a similarity in how relentlessly consistent they are in league football.

When our last ex manager went to United I didn't care because I knew he was done as a very top manager, will feel the complete opposite if this one goes through, will give you a very strong chance of the title if you do it quickly (ala now).
Good post. The main issue I’d have with Conte is that he might not use the unestablished young players. Howeve, everything else is positive. His teams are very well set up defensively and tactically. They are fully coordinated and he’s ruthless. The culture at United seems to be about nostalgia and cronyism. Conte is ruthless and I think getting back to that wouldn’t be a bad thing. He’s also very creative. In all of his teams you’ll find innovation with at least one player. He used Luis and Moses really well for you. Hazard rated him very highly too.

Am interested. Tuchel has been great for you but is his style really much better than Conte’s was? I actually don’t think its that much more attacking, and the shape is compatible. Not a criticism of Tuchel but more saying there’s a myth that Conte plays ultra conservative football. From memory, he actually started at Chelsea trying to play a 4-2-4.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good post. The main issue I’d have with Conte is that he might not use the unestablished young players. Howeve, everything else is positive. His teams are very well set up defensively and tactically. They are fully coordinated and he’s ruthless. The culture at United seems to be about nostalgia and cronyism. Conte is ruthless and I think getting back to that wouldn’t be a bad thing. He’s also very creative. In all of his teams you’ll find innovation with at least one player. He used Luis and Moses really well for you. Hazard rated him very highly too.

Am interested. Tuchel has been great for you but is his style really much better than Conte’s was? I actually don’t think its that much more attacking, and the shape is compatible. Not a criticism of Tuchel but more saying there’s a myth that Conte plays ultra conservative football. From memory, he actually started at Chelsea trying to play a 4-2-4.
I think Tuchel gets a lot of unfair stick for the football (that said I said the same thing about Conte too), you don't have Hudson Odoi as a wingback option if you're a negative thinking manager.

This season the performances have been a bit iffy despite the results being good but under him last year I enjoyed the majority of our games, passing and movement was crisp and we were creating chances at will (all be it wasting most of them). I remember watching us at The Ethiad and we went toe to toe with that City side, Carragher done analysis of that on MNF and we were really playing with fire at times, had we lost we'd have probably got murdered for being "naive", quite fine lines in football.

Conte similarly isn't as bad as made out but the one difference compared to Tuchel (for us so far) is his team's aren't as good playing against a high quality press (even Wenger had a lot joy against him with that) whereas we've had no trouble with that so far under TT (bar the recent City game). A fully functioning Conte side however are ruthless against the fodder in the division, in the title season we only failed to win three non big six games (Swansea away, Burnley away, Palace home) and even two of them were smash and grabs that we dominated.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I am a huge Serie A fan. Well, my tag line kind of testify to that (although I am more of a Milan fan then Juventus). Yet I assure you that Conte would be a huge mistake for us. That's something most of my mates who support Juventus agree upon.

A- Conte doesn't like wingers. Greenwood and Rashford might end up playing upfront but the rest (Martial, Elanga, Sancho etc) will be sold off
B- Conte is a nightmare to work with. If you think that Mourinho is bad then you haven't met Conte. He burned bridges with almost everyone
C- Conte is a typical Italian manager. He believes that kids needs to prove themselves time and time again before getting a sniff of first team football. That won't go well with the EPL culture were young talent tend to be very impatient.

I was criticised because I was sceptical about Ten Hag. Well I prefer the Dutch man to Conte. Actually I'd rather give Ole a second shot then give the job to Conte as well

Suv666

If we get Conte he'll definitely want better fullbacks. Shaw and AWB are mediocre at best going forward.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think Tuchel gets a lot of unfair stick for the football (that said I said the same thing about Conte too), you don't have Hudson Odoi as a wingback option if you're a negative thinking manager.

This season the performances have been a bit iffy despite the results being good but under him last year I enjoyed the majority of our games, passing and movement was crisp and we were creating chances at will (all be it wasting most of them). I remember watching us at The Ethiad and we went toe to toe with that City side, Carragher done analysis of that on MNF and we were really playing with fire at times, had we lost we'd have probably got murdered for being "naive", quite fine lines in football.

Conte similarly isn't as bad as made out but the one difference compared to Tuchel (for us so far) is his team's aren't as good playing against a high quality press (even Wenger had a lot joy against him with that) whereas we've had no trouble with that so far under TT (bar the recent City game). A fully functioning Conte side however are ruthless against the fodder in the division, in the title season we only failed to win three non big six games (Swansea away, Burnley away, Palace home) and even two of them were smash and grabs that we dominated.
Cheers, good stuff. No stick for Tuchel from me. It‘s more that I don’t think there’s a massive difference in terms of how good they are to watch under Tuchel vs Conte.

I do think there’s a big upside left with Tuchel as well. His ideal football is better than Conte’s for sure. Though I’m a bit surprised he went for Lukaku as I don’t think that’s going to help Tuchel get to his ideal.

yipthatman

"He’s a great manager but I think certain managers fit certain clubs and I don’t think Conte fits United personally". Basically, he wins things when he expected to and this doesn't suit United. Underdog FC. We seriously need to get the swagger back.

If we get Conte he'll definitely want better fullbacks. Shaw and AWB are mediocre at best going forward.
Maybe he will coach them to be better?

Thinking about Tuchel and several other manager, I think a serious question for United to ask is why do we keep missing good managers and giving silly contracts.

gajender

I think we are at a stage where it's imperative we start winning big titles as soon as possible it's almost 10 years since our last title and considering its our best squad since Sir Alex retired it's really important we have something to show for it so despite my reservations about Conte I wouldn't be averse to get him because I think he is certainly capable of going the distance against Guardiola and Klopp and actually beating them to the title .

yipthatman

I think we are at a stage where it's imperative we start winning big titles as soon as possible it's almost 10 years since our last title and considering its our best squad since Sir Alex retired it's really important we have something to show for it so despite my reservations about Conte I wouldn't be averse to get him because I think he is certainly capable of going the distance against Guardiola and Klopp and actually beating them to the title .
I get the reservations about Conte or Zidane but how could it be any worse? Just get one of them in on a short contract and see how it goes.

The 'Ole is building a squad' argument that people come out with is stupid as he is not going to win anything so his squad building is pointless. So what if the next manager has a clear out to win something. Half this squad will be gone in 2 years anyway at this rate.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we get Conte, a big IF, it is typical United of the past 10 years. From one disaster to the next

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I get the reservations about Conte or Zidane but how could it be any worse? Just get one of them in on a short contract and see how it goes.

The 'Ole is building a squad' argument that people come out with is stupid as he is not going to win anything so his squad building is pointless. So what if the next manager has a clear out to win something. Half this squad will be gone in 2 years anyway at this rate.
What are the reservations about Zidane? He's literally the best possible manager for us that is available, you can tick most boxes with him

yipthatman

What are the reservations about Zidane? He's literally the best possible manager for us that is available, you can tick most boxes with him
He is unproven in the premier league is one for some people. I even hear people saying that he fluked his success at real because the squad was so strong (this seems silly to me). I don't buy either of those reservations and I think he would be a success. I also think Conte will bring success wherever he ends up and both are tons better than Ole.

gajender

I only have reservations about his playing style and I don't believe he would leave a mess behind either that's just pure nonsense maybe break up would be messy but there won't be any long term damage as some keeps pointing out , I actually rate him highly I know not many would agree with me but support him within reason he is is capable of going toe to toe with Pep and Klopp and actually beating them . When it comes to league challenge he is capable of creating a machine given the right backing.
So get him win the title hopefully and get monkey of our back and if then things go sideways take it from there.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
If we get Conte, a big IF, it is typical United of the past 10 years. From one disaster to the next
How will it be a disaster? He's won the league at every club he's managed.

There is a myth that he somehow leaves the club behind in shambles. Well this didnt happen at Juve, and the Chelsea team he left behind won the CL 18 months later. At inter, after breaking the Juve stranglehold, their board decides to sell their best players which is why he fell out and left.

Ill tell you what's a disaster, spending close to 500 million, not winning a single trophy and playing shit on a stick football.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He is unproven in the premier league is one for some people. I even hear people saying that he fluked his success at real because the squad was so strong (this seems silly to me). I don't buy either of those reservations and I think he would be a success. I also think Conte will bring success wherever he ends up and both are tons better than Ole.
Pep was also unproven, Tuchel too, even Fergie, so that's a stupid argument they bring up. And it shows the problem: many fans (and also some of the management at United) believe the PL is so special, hence you appoint Moyes, Jose....
If they knew what Zidane took over at RM and what he made out of it (even if you leave the CL out of it), it is just amazing. On top, he's one of the best players ever so he will get all the respect from players as well

::sonny::

Don’t see disasters when he wins 1/2 league and then gone, Juve won something like 10 league in a row

Chelsea won also with Sarri and Tuchel after him

lsd

The Oracle
Only real choice for me. I don't see the similarities to Mourinho which people seem to be needing him with.

Besides unlike Jose he is still at the top of his game and willing to adapt to different situations.

A proven winner who the players will immediately respect and the fans will love his passion

croadyman

Only real choice for me. I don't see the similarities to Mourinho which people seem to be needing him with.

Besides unlike Jose he is still at the top of his game and willing to adapt to different situations.

A proven winner who the players will immediately respect and the fans will love his passion
Yeah but for the fans who want us to appoint him our board won't go for a personality again after Jose

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah but for the fans who want us to appoint him our board won't go for a personality again after Jose

I don't think our board will go for anyone sadly. Woodward won't be thinking of a new manager now he is leaving shortly and if Richard Arnold as expected takes over i don't see him looking to change anything quickly.

The only things I've heard about Arnold are he is similar to Ed and has more interest in Rugby League than football

AFC NimbleThumb

We need to stop narrowing our talent pool to managers out of work. Yes we won’t get Pep, Klopp or Tuchel but we need to go full Bayern on the ‘next big thing’ & go from there. If OgS goes we can’t make the same mistake falling in love with the caretaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.