Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You cant keep running in the opposite direction when you hire a new manager ffs. Conte would us starting from scratch.

Ole has built a decent squad here. Our strength is in our wide attackers. Rashford sancho greenwood is a brilliant young pool of forwards. We struggle at centre back really and our full backs are hit and miss with wan bissaka awful going forward. Our squad does not suit contes style at all

We currently have no style so any manager that comes in would be starting from scratch essentially. Ole has built nothing, he's bought some good players but there is no team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What's good with the Conte link is that we'll be one of the most machine like team in our off the ball intensity in the PL. He will not allow any slacking and that should benefit the likes of Sancho, Rashford and Grewnwood in the long run. Plus given Maguire and Lindelof don't look great in a back 4 and we don't have a great midfield, a 352/343 might actually suit us? Would obviously need a couple of additions to Rwb and CM/DM.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Bingo. Never mind all the baggage he comes with.
I have no issue with baggage or even playing style (albeot not my ideal choice). I have a lot of time for h8m going all the way back to his playing days.

It makes absolutely no sense though. If you had to wipe out our squad and only keep three players to build for the future I have a hard time seeing any other than Rashford getting a game.

The notion that Dalot and possibly Telles would be almost nailed on starters is a pretty good hint. And then there's people sticking different combinations of Pogba, Fred, Matic and McT in midfield as if we had prime Beckhams in yhe wide roles... It would be as much a problem as it already is.

EtH

I have no issue with baggage or even playing style (albeot not my ideal choice). I have a lot of time for h8m going all the way back to his playing days.

It makes absolutely no sense though. If you had to wipe out our squad and only keep three players to build for the future I have a hard time seeing any other than Rashford getting a game.

The notion that Dalot and possibly Telles would be almost nailed on starters is a pretty good hint. And then there's people sticking different combinations of Pogba, Fred, Matic and McT in midfield as if we had prime Beckhams in yhe wide roles... It would be as much a problem as it already is.
Exactly. Would be another slow car crash of an appointment and transition ala Mourinho.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You cant keep running in the opposite direction when you hire a new manager ffs. Conte would us starting from scratch.

Ole has built a decent squad here. Our strength is in our wide attackers. Rashford sancho greenwood is a brilliant young pool of forwards. We struggle at centre back really and our full backs are hit and miss with wan bissaka awful going forward. Our squad does not suit contes style at all
All these objections had merit when we had some style (quick counters, mobile front 3) towards the end of 19/20. There's been no particular style since then. There's a collection of disjointed mismatched players, who can be asked to become a very defensive unit, or a counter-attacking one, or a possession/pressing one, with one or two transfers in and out.

amolbhatia50k

Thing is, the problems lessen when the manager is top class which Conte is. And I think our squad is more suited to a back 3 than one thinks. Maguire and lindelof for example come as unsuited to a back 4 to me. A lack of quality CMs may be masked by a 352/343 and Grewnwood and Sancho could work well in the two behind the 9. It's hard to predict these things. I'd prefer a mor expansive manager of course. But Conte's quality is clear. What he brings is organisation's, effort and efficiency. And we can't say we don't need those things.

amolbhatia50k

Exactly. Would be another slow car crash of an appointment and transition ala Mourinho.
Maybe. Or we can accept that he and Mourino are two different individuals with different tactical ideas and different career trajectories. We got Mourinho when we was wanted up. Conte is still one of the best around. And I don't think his teams sit back the way Mourinhos teams have had the tendency to do over the last 6-7 years. Conte seem (due to his age) more of a manager in tune with this generation.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He played two defensive midfielders in Matic and Kante in central midfield at Chelsea. There is no pair of central midfielders at this club that can play in a two in the middle of the park.

In the lineup you propose, we will play:

Rashford-Ronaldo-Sancho
Shaw-Matic-Pogba-Dalot
Maguire-Varane-Lindelof

We will get runover in central midfield IMO.
Of course a semi retired Matic would get run over.

Rashford-Ronaldo-Sancho
Telles-Fred-Pogba-Dalot
Shaw-Maguire-Varane

In attack, Shaw then pushes up to create a 3 man midfield (he used Azpi the same way at Chelsea). That is more than strong enough.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If we can't get Zidane or Ten Hag or Enrique right now then I'd have Graham Potter before Conte. Put Potter on a short leash and give him just this season to prove himself and if he fails then Ten Hag should be available by then. I also realise Potter is a risk but I think his worst case scenario is easier to overcome than Conte's worst case scenario.

EtH

Maybe. Or we can accept that he and Mourino are two different individuals with different tactical ideas and different career trajectories. We got Mourinho when we was wanted up. Conte is still one of the best around. And I don't think his teams sit back the way Mourinhos teams have had the tendency to do over the last 6-7 years. Conte seem (due to his age) more of a manager in tune with this generation.
Conte is probably better than the version of Jose we got but nowhere near Mourinho in his pomp. His CL record for one is horrific for any supposed top manager. And we just do not have the squad to play his football. Nor can I understand why anyone would want to see a transition to his brand of football. I think it would be a disaster which would set us back just as Mourinho did. We would be left with another significant transition on our hands as soon as he inevitably showed his arse and fell out with the board.

estel_manutd

Of course a semi retired Matic would get run over.

Rashford-Ronaldo-Sancho
Telles-Fred-Pogba-Dalot
Shaw-Maguire-Varane

In attack, Shaw then pushes up to create a 3 man midfield (he used Azpi the same way at Chelsea). That is more than strong enough.
That's an interesting idea. Might work. Although I have reservations about both Fred and Pogba as a defensive midfielders - they have no positional sense.

My other reservations about Conte is that he doesn't conduct himself like a manager of Manchester United. I was for the Jose appointment and that has left me scarred: once bitten, twice shy.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
That's an interesting idea. Might work. Although I have reservations about both Fred and Pogba as a defensive midfielders - they have no positional sense.

My other reservations about Conte is that he doesn't conduct himself like a manager of Manchester United. I was for the Jose appointment and that has left me scarred: once bitten, twice shy.
Fred and Kante are the same. Whereas Kante has higher tackle % vs a dribble, Fred beats Kante for total presses & makes more presses higher up the pitch than him. Everything else they are more or less equal. So Fred would be fine. Also Conte made Pogba into a star at Juve so im sure he would know what to do.

Also rest assured, Conte and Mourinho are not the same. It's another myth.
Also think it should be explained again why Conte‘s stints haven’t been working out for longer than a couple of years. There’s this wide perception that he some sort of angry demon who just explodes out of nowhere for no reason, falls out with all the players, and then loses the dressing room. That wasn’t the case at all here at Chelsea and certainly not at Inter. Juve I‘m not sure about.

What happened at both Chelsea and Inter was all about his ambitions and the clubs’ not lining up. He’s asked for certain players to be bought (he specifically wanted both Van Dijk & Lukaku here) and at Inter their owner decided to blow his team up after he won them their first league title in ages. He wanted to push on and improve the side.

Our supporters still loved Conte after he was sacked and still chanted his name. Think the Inter players were devastated he left as well.

The Oracle

Anyone picked up on the Conte-Solskjær connection yet?

We all know Ole is a club playing legend for his winner in the Champions League Final in the 1999 Treble season...

But did you know that Conte also scored a goal in one of the matches along the way to our amazing feat?

7th April 1999 (Old Trafford)
Man Utd 1-1 Juventus
Giggs (90+2) Conte (25)

Strelok

Fred and Kante are the same. Whereas Kante has higher tackle % vs a dribble, Fred beats Kante for total presses & makes more presses higher up the pitch than him. Everything else they are more or less equal.
Wth mate seriously. Your comment is a terrible offense to Kante. I wish Fred has a third of Kante's brain.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Can this post please be stickied?
I'm seeing tons of posts saying how Conte is another Mourinho, and leaves clubs in 'tatters'. Which is just blatantly false.
Also think it should be explained again why Conte‘s stints haven’t been working out for longer than a couple of years. There’s this wide perception that he some sort of angry demon who just explodes out of nowhere for no reason, falls out with all the players, and then loses the dressing room. That wasn’t the case at all here at Chelsea and certainly not at Inter. Juve I‘m not sure about.

What happened at both Chelsea and Inter was all about his ambitions and the clubs’ not lining up. He’s asked for certain players to be bought (he specifically wanted both Van Dijk & Lukaku here) and at Inter their owner decided to blow his team up after he won them their first league title in ages. He wanted to push on and improve the side.

Our supporters still loved Conte after he was sacked and still chanted his name. Think the Inter players were devastated he left as well.

At United he’d be walking into the best starting position (in terms of personnel) that he’s ever had. Conte with this squad + a new midfielder and a more polished attacking RWB and you’re golden soon enough. Maybe just not this season.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Wth mate seriously. Your comment is a terrible offense to Kante. I wish Fred has a third of Kante's brain.
They're closer than people realise. Kante's more robust and a better tackler, but Fred's pressing numbers are higher than Kante's, and he has more touches, & carries the ball further too.

My comment was more in the context of if Kante worked in a 343 under Conte, then Fred would have no issues too.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Fred is nowhere near the player Kante is, only on a Man Utd forum would you hear such nonsense.

Godfather

Lautaro kicked the bottles

Conte: Kick yourself in the head instead, phenomenon of my cock

Lautaro: Come in, See you inside (the dressing room)

Lautaro is really a dickhead
This made me spill my coffee out. :lol: Phenomenon of my cock is about the best fecking phrase I've ever heard.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Lost it at the Godfather soundtrack. :lol:
That handshake with Roy Keane at @3:15, too much testosterone in one picture.

SAFMUTD

I don't like conte at all, he's problematic and his teams are not exactly spectacular nor offensive but if having to choose between him and Ole I would chose him without a flinch.

Maybe we could see what this squad is capable of with actual coaching besides good vibes and pretty talk.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Stormed is a very strong word considering they finished behind a zombie like Juve under Sarry and barelly finished above Atalanta in his first season. In his title winning season he had the luxury of Juventus imploding and hiring Pirlo.

Conte has yet to win a title against a team that is at it's peak. Ie Liverpool and City right now
I'm talking about Lukaku.

Dante

Average bang

Fully agree.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean Conte can't do anything with this squad without spending big.

Assuming the club interview him about his intentions, the first question should be about how he expects to use the players already at his disposal. And it should be made clear that he won't be allowed to sell 4 or 5 in order to buy another 4 or 5. If he can answer that adequately (to people like Fletcher), then I'd have no problem.

pablotatt

Inter had a goal difference of +50 last season. Ours was +29. Conte isn't as boring as people perceive, yet our issues are an awful defensive structure which we need to fix and he would. We are an absolute disaster every game.

I'm not convinced that our strength are our wingers. We have one WF who likes to run in behind, 1 attacker who needs the ball to play in runners and an incredible kid forced out wide who can't do any defending. They look great on paper and are all talented but there's no plan. It's now an incoherent mess due to forcing Ronaldo into 3.

Conte converted Perisic to a WB. I think only Lingard could be that guy. Tuck Shaw into LCB, Telles or Dalot at LWB, Jesse at RWB. 3 in the middle. Then just 2 attackers. I suspect Sancho and Rashford.

We're a laughing stock and there's a winner out there who can sort us out.

Strelok

They're closer than people realise. Kante's more robust and a better tackler, but Fred's pressing numbers are higher than Kante's, and he has more touches, & carries the ball further too.

My comment was more in the context of if Kante worked in a 343 under Conte, then Fred would have no issues too.
Hell no mate. The most important thing about a midfielder is positioning and reading the game. Fred is basically shit and Kante is fecking great with that.

copen1945

Fully agree.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean Conte can't do anything with this squad without spending big.

Assuming the club interview him about his intentions, the first question should be about how he expects to use the players already at his disposal. And it should be made clear that he won't be allowed to sell 4 or 5 in order to buy another 4 or 5. If he can answer that adequately (to people like Fletcher), then I'd have no problem.
Will Fletcher be involved in the process? This love affair won't last more than two seasons.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know he can win the PL but does it worry anyone that he hasn't really done anything in the Champions League or even the Europa League?

He is not really a new manager.

I'm okay towards him but I'm not excited towards him, I have a bit of anxiety - for all the times he can sign a vidal, Kante, Hakimi - he has also signed players like David Luiz, Drinkwater, Morata, Barkley, Ashley Young, Sanchez.

It's not like you can control the transfers either because that’s what pisses him off.

On the other side, I can see certain aspects of our squad linking well with his tactics already for a short term go at the Premier league for a year or two - but I do hope that clubs have not gotten used to Conte round two and we are here left dealing with the left overs of the aftermath of Conte's management ideas.

I think I'm 50/50 to it but I'd prefer we now gamble completely and try something new like Ten Hag, or Zidane if he wanted to come here.

ti vu

Conte is probably better than the version of Jose we got but nowhere near Mourinho in his pomp. His CL record for one is horrific for any supposed top manager. And we just do not have the squad to play his football. Nor can I understand why anyone would want to see a transition to his brand of football. I think it would be a disaster which would set us back just as Mourinho did. We would be left with another significant transition on our hands as soon as he inevitably showed his arse and fell out with the board.
I share the skepticism regarding Conte shortcoming in CL, and that Mourinho peak is higher. However, I strongly disagree that this squad is unsuitable for his football.

We may not have depth or top choice for certain position yet, but to have a competent starting XI, I believe we already have it as is for Conte. And the required upgrade is not difficult that can't be done in couple transfer window.

Conte is good at quickly imprint his football in the team. And comparing to Ole, his football is more expansive. His team can actually play out from the back well. Good collective pressing as a team in the mid block. Can dominating team if given the chances.

The transition from Conte or Mourinho aftermath is overblown. Chelsea has shown how quickly they turn thing around for them to have them both succeeding each other. At other clubs, Mourinho and Conte aftermath is total worth the successes they brought during their time. Ole's 2+ seasons as manager full of excuses had created so many myth.

If Ole only did the interim time, then Conte took over, I believe we would have been in better shape now in term of trophies despite if Conte having meltdown and leave. Remember Conte picked up a fair few of our players from Mourinho. We wouldn't have wasted money on players that got bought but without a plan for them under Ole. That money would have been given to the new manager, while they're under a lesser pressure to immediately succeed (similar to post Mourinho meltdown patience for the new manager).

Skills

Snitch
Hell no mate. The most important thing about a midfielder is positioning and reading the game. Fred is basically shit and Kante is fecking great with that.
Is he? He's massively struggled whenever he's been asked to play as DM then. Kante was the reason Conte had to switch to a back 3 in the first place, because he left them way too exposed because he would always get pulled into towards the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.