• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

If we were to go for a some what defensive coach, it would be simeone over conte, in terms of winning league titles in one of the toughest and best leagues in the world, getting his teams put 100% into nearly every match, working within a certain budget and squad rebuilding he ticks all them boxes.

Stormpetrel

What do you think of his transfers at Chelsea?
He won the league with his transfers. What are we winning with a bench our manager isn't even willing/trusting to use in extra time? A bench with a player he bought last year that clearly doesn't fit the way he wants us to play?

Harold_Giles

He won the league with his transfers
He did.

However, some of his purchases just scream to me to stay clear of Conte.

Possibly good for the short term, but another monumental rebuilding job in store when he leaves in 2-3 years (judging by his CV)

Alvaro Morata - £70m
Tiemoue Bakayoko - £40m
Danny Drinkwater - £35m
Michy Batshuayi - £33m
David Luiz - £32m
Davide Zappacosta - £23m
Emerson - £17.6m
Ross Barkley - £15m

What are we winning with a bench our manager isn't even willing/trusting to use in extra time? A bench with a player he bought last year that clearly doesn't fit the way he wants us to play?
We haven't won anything.
However I don't think Ole has been backed in the same way Conte was, for example.
I'm hoping that will change this summer and he'll be given every chance to fight for the top trophies.
If next season is a disappointing one, I'll agree that it might be time to move Ole on.

el3mel

He did.

Possibly good for the short term, but another monumental rebuilding job in store when he leaves in 2-3 years (judging by his CV)

Alvaro Morata - £70m
Tiemoue Bakayoko - £40m
Danny Drinkwater - £35m
Michy Batshuayi - £33m
David Luiz - £32m
Davide Zappacosta - £23m
Emerson - £17.6m
Ross Barkley - £15m

We haven't won anything.
However I don't think Ole has been backed in the same way Conte was, for example.
I'm hoping that will change this summer and he'll be given every chance to fight for the top trophies.
If next season is a disappointing one, I'll agree that it might be time to move Ole on.
A lot of these transfers came during his second season when he had problems with the board over the transfers and they players they're choosing. He wanted Lukaku not Morata, for example. We saw how Lukaku did really well under him with Inter.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-chelsea/transfers/verein/631/saison_id/2016

In his first season he signed Kante, Luiz, Alonso and Batshuayi. All of these were good signings back then. Kante is still an integral part of Chelsea team. Alonso gave them several solid years. Luiz was great this season and Batshuayi was signed as a backup option for Costa and nothing else.

He'sRaldo

Not at all my most dreamed of choice. But beggars can't be choosers, and we've been begging for near a decade now.

Yes is the obvious answer.

Last edited:

Eternitiy

No, a good manager, but too volatile and he won't be here for the long term.

I am prepared to let Ole have another season (please do not extend his contract).

Then when the time is right, we go for a manager who can build long term success at this club (hopefully Pochettino).

croadyman

City, Chelsea have the right structure in place to support the manager, we do not and any manager coming in will fail until that changes.
Yeah money that grows on trees in Chelsea's case and like many have said on here a completely bottomless pit in City's case

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We have a great manager and are making tons of progress. These threads just show the OP up to be another reactionary, knee jerk, superficial, immature fan. Like we don’t have enough already.

justboy68

Answered yes but not in the sense that I would fire Ole right now to do it. If Ole decided to pack his bags and we needed to find a manager tomorrow then I think you'd have to say he's at least a good choice.

croadyman

We have a great manager and are making tons of progress. These threads just show the OP up to be another reactionary, knee jerk, superficial, immature fan. Like we don’t have enough already.
This must be a wind up

Carolina Red

Staff
Conte is a world class manager but anyone saying yes to him as manager A- doesn’t understand what it means to be a Man Utd supporter and B - should be banned from the forum. These are the same people who thought Mourinho was the answer when it was never ever going to work. A manager has to be a cultural and philosophical fit as well as just being good tactically.
Yeah, well, you trusted in Januzaj.

LoneStar

So Conte doesn't fit our style apparently. I am curious about one thing - If Ole doesn't perform well next season, who is this coach who's available and plays the United way? Please don't say Poch, cause that's moving sideways.

I think Ole has done a great job so far, but I don't think he can get us beyond this. Going into next season knowing Pep will likely just crush the league again is a horrible feeling.

Marcus

So Conte doesn't fit our style apparently. I am curious about one thing - If Ole doesn't perform well next season, who is this coach who's available and plays the United way? Please don't say Poch, cause that's moving sideways.

I think Ole has done a great job so far, but I don't think he can get us beyond this. Going into next season knowing Pep will likely just crush the league again is a horrible feeling.
I agree. We know that Ole needs a couple of better players to move forward. Unfortunately, we can afford to buy maybe 1 world class player. We already know he will fail next season if he cannot get more out of existing players than he has. I am not saying that Conte is the long term solution. But someone like Conte who can bring short term success may not be a bad idea.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A lot of these transfers came during his second season when he had problems with the board over the transfers and they players they're choosing. He wanted Lukaku not Morata, for example. We saw how Lukaku did really well under him with Inter.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-chelsea/transfers/verein/631/saison_id/2016

In his first season he signed Kante, Luiz, Alonso and Batshuayi. All of these were good signings back then. Kante is still an integral part of Chelsea team. Alonso gave them several solid years. Luiz was great this season and Batshuayi was signed as a backup option for Costa and nothing else.
It’s not like you can assume Conte will get what he wants here? Right?

el3mel

It’s not like you can assume Conte will get what he wants here? Right?
He will do pretty well with the current squad, and will press the board to keep on reinforcing the team. Considering a lot of United fans seem to think the board don't give a shit, I thought they will like a manager who keeps on putting pressure on them to do, while still pulling out results on the pitch?

Yakuza_devils

Conte is a world class manager, no doubts. He won big trophies wherever he manage.

But, his tactics are close to Jose and Simeone.

After Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole, we need a modern attacking football manager. We have enough of negative football and stone age football. Man Utd is boring to watch for the last 8 years and we need to go back to Man Utd DNA which is attacking football.

Bebestation

I’m not saying he is good enough but why hasn’t Luis Enrique had a good club offer after his Barcelona management wins? Was his management good or did people think he reaped the benefit of previous manager works etc?

@Daysleeper

Houdini

Well he did win title at Chelsea against both Guardiola and Klopp so he is more than capable of holding his own in the Company of Elite coaches .
I know, it was the reaction to "with the players not good enough for United".

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He did.

Alvaro Morata - £70m
Tiemoue Bakayoko - £40m
Danny Drinkwater - £35m
Michy Batshuayi - £33m
David Luiz - £32m
Davide Zappacosta - £23m
Emerson - £17.6m
Ross Barkley - £15m
Chelsea's head coach (be it Conte, Lampard, Sarri or whoever) shouldn't really get any credit or blame for transfers. It's not part of their job really.

You honestly think Conte wanted Drinkwater or Ross Barkley?

There's the occasional case like Sarri getting Jorginho or Lampard getting Chilwell but for the most part they don't really pick who the club signs.

OrcaFat

Conte is a world class manager, no doubts. He won big trophies wherever he manage.

But, his tactics are close to Jose and Simeone.

After Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole, we need a modern attacking football manager. We have enough of negative football and stone age football. Man Utd is boring to watch for the last 8 years and we need to go back to Man Utd DNA which is attacking football.
United have been fantastic to watch under Ole. Not every single game but many times we’ve seen spectacular attacking football and it is clear that is Ole’s aim. We don’t want a manager like Conti but the main point is we already have the right manager for the Utd DNA. A couple of new players in the summer and we will see it more and more.

Most other managers would be a terrible step back for us. There was even some clamour for Tuchel on here. Sure, he knows how to make his teams difficult to beat but pretty much all the pundits are criticising Chelsea’s attacking play. So-called modern, flavour of the month coaches will not make us any more “Utd” than we already are.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Bebestation

tomaldinho1

I’m not saying he is good enough but why hasn’t Luis Enrique had a good club offer after his Barcelona management wins? Was his management good or did people think he reaped the benefit of previous manager works etc?

@Daysleeper
He’s phenomenal - broke a load of Pep’s records and won the treble as well. I think his daughter died from cancer or something horrible like that (there was drama when his assistant who covered for him when he was grieving then said he wanted to keep the job when Enrique came back). So not sure if he’s interested in the intensity of a domestic club again.

Yakuza_devils

United have been fantastic to watch under Ole. Not every single game but many times we’ve seen spectacular attacking football and it is clear that is Ole’s aim. We don’t want a manager like Conti but the main point is we already have the right manager for the Utd DNA. A couple of new players in the summer and we will see it more and more.

Most other managers would be a terrible step back for us. There was even some clamour for Tuchel on here. Sure, he knows how to make his teams difficult to beat but pretty much all the pundits are criticising Chelsea’s attacking play. So-called modern, flavour of the month coaches will not make us any more “Utd” than we already are.
We have enough of Ole style of play debates in this forum. Ask any opposition supporters, is Man Utd playing exciting modern attacking football, you will get the answer.

Yes, some of the games were exciting because the opponents were coming out to play against us and we were very good at counter attacking football. If they sits deep, then we are fecked. Endless side ways passing and then concede a goal through set pieces. Rinse and repeat roller coasters all season.

IMHO, this is not the style of play a major club should use.

Giggsyking

Cut the crap. This thing of Ole's fanboys doing nothing in this forum but go around insulting anyone dare to criticize Ole is not going to hide the fact we have a mediocre manager.

Giggsyking

First I thought feck not what I wish but at least better than Ole. But then, no, would rather get a manager who plays progressive football.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think Pep will coast the league next season unless another team gets as good a squad as he has. Personally if we replace Ole, I don't want us to have another defensive manager. All our managers post Saf have been very defensive. Unfortunately I'd don't see any ideal managers who want to come here.

OrcaFat

We have enough of Ole style of play debates in this forum. Ask any opposition supporters, is Man Utd playing exciting modern attacking football, you will get the answer.

Yes, some of the games were exciting because the opponents were coming out to play against us and we were very good at counter attacking football. If they sits deep, then we are fecked. Endless side ways passing and then concede a goal through set pieces. Rinse and repeat roller coasters all season.

IMHO, this is not the style of play a major club should use.
Yes I could tell that was your opinion.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He will do pretty well with the current squad, and will press the board to keep on reinforcing the team. Considering a lot of United fans seem to think the board don't give a shit, I thought they will like a manager who keeps on putting pressure on them to do, while still pulling out results on the pitch?
Exactly. Not sure how people keep missing this. Not saying we should sack Ole but we should always be prepared for a managerial sack and keep all the options open. If you want to break the monopoly of Pep, there is no one better than Conte, for now.

We have made some good progress under Ole. Now it's time to reach that elite level. For that Ole isn't enough. Just talk to Conte and let him take over next year when Ole finishes his contract.(just like Pep was taking over at City).

We should never be emotional when taking decisions related to club future.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You make that statement and then, blame OP in the second line ?

"Deluded" is an understatement.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Conte wouldnt last 5 mins at United. He would quit after a season of broken promises by the board

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
On managerial ability yes. But his personality would turn the atmosphere of the club toxic again.
The last thing we need is a Mourinho 2.0 situation.

RedStarUnited

@Daysleeper
He had Neymar Messi and Suarez upfront.
I guess people want to see how he does without that kind of talent.

Even with that forward line, he was actually close to getting sacked in January 2015. He ended the season with treble including Cl and La Liga.

Stadjer

Ole is a PE teacher and not good enough as manager. Poch isnt good enough as a manager because he never wins, Conte always wins but isnt good enough as a manager either because of his style. Nagelsman and Tuchel werent good enough as manager either because ‘hipster’ picks....

What do people expect exactly? A new Ferguson?

Conte is a lot better as manager than Ole and he is known for winning. If Ole would be replaced Conte surely is the best option? However i fully expect Ole to stay...

UpWithRivers

We need to just ask 1 question at the interview. Can you take the current squad with one summers transfer and make a title charge, or will you need a 3/4 year rebuild. Every manager we get seems to need a 3/4 year rebuild. We simply cant do that again. If Conte says he is confident all he needs a few gettable additions sign him up. If he fails find someone else who can make the best of our current squad. That way we are not starting from 0 every manager change. Is that too much to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.