• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Tito villanalova won the league post Pep then ill health failed him. Enrique won everything in sight his first time out, even retaining the league title before bowing out. Literally only Martino in between the two completely failed. So what on earth are you on about?
I said Enrique was the only manager post Pep who actually succeeded, so why are you writing the majority of your post about him ? :lol: Did you even read what you're replying on ?

Winning the league in the season Mourinho's Real imploded with ton of dressing room problems is hardly an achievement. They got humiliated by Bayern in CL this season.

Martino was shit appointment.

Enrique succeeded as I said.

Valverde won some league titles but his side was absolute shit in CL and got embarrassed frequently.

So bar Enrique, hardly any of Barca managers post Pep managed the kind of success Barca got under Pep. More reason to believe their way of hiring managers was shit and set them back more than it helped.

el3mel

What has become apparently clear is we have many fans who have learnt absolutely nothing from our recent history with managers since Fergie left.
Yes, because we hired Everton's manager who never won anything in his career, a Dutch manager who has been way past his best for years and the last club he managed was in 2011 when he was also sacked in his second season, and Mourinho who was just coming from an absolute disaster season with Chelsea.

That's enough data for us to not hire the best managers in the world and stick with what "it fits" because God knows what it's, Ex-United legends maybe.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What has become apparently clear is we have many fans who have learnt absolutely nothing from our recent history with managers since Fergie left.
Conte is in a completely different bracket compared the the dross you've hired as manager since then - do you not recall Mourinho whining about Conte celebrating when Chelsea beat you 4-0? Conte was already different class then and has also now secured a league win subsequently in Italy breaking a 9 year streak that he himself started - do you really think this is comparable to Van Gaal or Mourinho or Moyes or Solksjaer? Madness.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, because we hired Everton's manager who never won anything in his career, a Dutch manager who has been way past his best for years and the last club he managed was in 2011 when he was also sacked in his second season, and Mourinho who was just coming from an absolute disaster season with Chelsea.

That's enough data for us to not hire the best managers in the world and stick with what "it fits" because God knows what it's, Ex-United legends maybe.
Exactly this. Obviously it was disaster with Jose but taking that as example and should not hire better managers is absolute madness. Competition for winning things in pl nowadays can't be taken easily.

Coaches should do every thing to win every single point. Need to be proactive keep the players on edge give them the advantage with tactical know how.

Nobody will complain about ole if his team played well and unlucky to lose some points. Actually you are lucky to get this much points with the way you play.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Its obvious I'm talking about Barca when they actual had a succession plan for their manager seat. Not the one that has been doing the very thing some of you want done with our manager seat at United. Utterly plan less managerial recruitment

Every time they have picked manager's who didn't fit the ethos of the club it hasn't gone well for them. Which is the entire point......

Bayern are not remotely an exception. They too have picked the wrong manager for their ethos and long term plans from time to time. The only reason they never enter consistent doldrums is they are rather quick to learn form their mistakes
Mate, that's the exactly the point.Just because you tried two outdated managers doesn't mean we should keep waiting. Especially for a club like United where trophies matter and CL qualification is a 6 horse race. You dont get time and money like in Spain or Germany or Netherlands. When you have one of the best tacticans available you take that opportunity. Until we try them we don't know if they will make it or not. Barca completely trusts their board and scouting team and not just managers. So your point stating they had a succession planning is wrong. As @el3mel quoted , Bayern also has gone from various types of managers who all had different ideas. Ajax isn't different either.

Basically All of your arguments has been based on assumption that Conte won't cut it. That's pretty hollow and lack substance. It's okay to say I don't like his style and so I don't want him at United. But to say he would be a disaster because of some baseless assumptions is stupid.

bond19821982

Conte is a good manager but that's not all you need to win trophies. Good player recruitment is also very crucial and Ole has done that part well but then we also need to maintain it. Can Conte do that?
You mean the Ole who spent 50m on AWB,80m on Maguire, 40m on DVB, 70m on Sancho , 50m on Varane , 15m on Telles, 50m on Bruno ,35m on Amad ?

The answer is yes, for that money it isn't really hard to go wrong. It's not like he got some diamond deals with any of his transfers.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why do you folks insist on this second equally ridiculous straw man of 'long term managers''. What part of directional continuity is so hard for y'all to understand? Why do you think the likes of Barcelona went from Pep Guardiola, through Tito Villanova, Gerardo Martino and then Luis Enirque in their most recent consistently successful spell yet managers with far superior cvs were readily available? Do people seriously believe it was to pursue longevity of reign or done on a mere whim?
Is what you're playing now really that far better than Conte's football? Is it really better than what Conte played in the title season with us or with Inter?

As said above Bayern have gone through different managers with different ideas, Pep and Ancelotti don't exactly speak the same language tactically.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You mean the Ole who spent 50m on AWB,80m on Maguire, 40m on DVB, 70m on Sancho , 50m on Varane , 15m on Telles, 50m on Bruno ,35m on Amad ?

The answer is yes, for that money it isn't really hard to go wrong. It's not like he got some diamond deals with any of his transfers.
Yes of course buying good players when you have lots of money looks easy but

LvG - In his two seasons spent 351m on Di Maria, Shaw, Hererra, Blind, Rojo, Falcao, Martial, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian

Mourinho - In his two seasons spent 383m on Pogba Mkhitaryan, Bailly, Lukaku, Lindelof, Sanchez, Matic

Conte himself - In his two seasons at Chelsea spent 392m on Batshuyai, Kante, Luiz, Alonso, Rudiger, Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Zappaosta, Emerson, Giroud, Barkley

So tell me again how easy it is to buy good players because you have the money. Looking at the players Conte got at Chelsea, are you people ready to go back to recruiting these type of players if he comes here? I mentioned we need to maintain the quality of good recruitment under Ole and when I look at Conte's signings I'd say he's not going to do that at all

Last edited:

Son

Exactly this. Obviously it was disaster with Jose but taking that as example and should not hire better managers is absolute madness. Competition for winning things in pl nowadays can't be taken easily.

Coaches should do every thing to win every single point. Need to be proactive keep the players on edge give them the advantage with tactical know how.

Nobody will complain about ole if his team played well and unlucky to lose some points. Actually you are lucky to get this much points with the way you play.
Jose tbf to him won us some trophies and we finished with more points than Ole ever will get in his second season here.

It wasn’t great but for sure we were a better side in Jose’s second season than we have been since Fergie left. Sevilla aside. Ole didn’t even get past the group last season with us.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Is what you're playing now really that far better than Conte's football?
Irrelevant question. Have you seen me complain about Conte's style of football? I'm a huge fan of Conte and his football. One of the reasons I'm certain he is not a good fit for our job nor our match going fans because his football isn't the type our supporters like. Period

Is it really better than what Conte played in the title season with us or with Inter?
Our best football under Solksjaer would be picked over anything Conte's produces by 90% of our match going support because of the presence of wingers, the absence of a back 3 and still developing youth like Greenwood and Bissaka who are still being groomed on the job

As said above Bayern have gone through different managers with different ideas, Pep and Ancelotti don't exactly speak the same language tactically.
Which is precisely why Ancelotti couldn't survive long there despite being an excellent manager. The culture Pep and Juup left behind was not palatable to his success.[/Quote]

Mate, that's the exactly the point.Just because you tried two outdated managers doesn't mean we should keep waiting.
First I'm beginning to doubt people like you know the difference between waiting and picking the right fit. Because you constantly inter change the two.

Second. The 'outdated manager' shtick is a fantastic excuse the "hire Conte now brigade" want to hide behind whenever its pointed out LVG and Mourinho were both hired for being the men with the better cv than the man in the seat and the best cv available for the job with no regard for whether they were the best fit. The exact thing the hire Conte brigade want to do currently.

Especially for a club like United where trophies matter and CL qualification is a 6 horse race. You dont get time and money like in Spain or Germany or Netherlands. When you have one of the best tacticans available you take that opportunity.
The perfect receipt for disaster. The best cv and the best fit fora job are not necessarily connected. The best tactician available can also be the very worst fit for the job at hand at the same time. Which is the exact case for Antonio Conte with United. The kind of things that guaranteed failure for the likes of Rafa Benitez and Ancelotti at Real Madrid and Bayern respectively even before they started.

Until we try them we don't know if they will make it or not.
We don't have room to gamble any longer. That's the shit that got us wring fits like LVG and Mourinho. Both far superior managers than Solskjaer who he has had longer tenures than both as a result with a much tinier cv. We must consistently pick the right fit going forward who ALSO has the cv or we will be another Liverpool post 1990. Turning corners like we are on a round about.

Barca completely trusts their board and scouting team and not just managers. So your point stating they had a succession planning is wrong.
You are implying its the scouting team that sunk Barca in recent years. I honestly don't believe you

Basically All of your arguments has been based on assumption that Conte won't cut it. That's pretty hollow and lack substance.
You wish. My arguments are based on the provable fact he isn't the right fit for the job. Given he doesn't play a footballing style nor system our match going fans have ever taken to. (i.e a back 3 with no wingers) There are number of managers out there with arguably as good cvs who will suit the job better. Managers like Ten Haag, Zidane, Enrique even Mancini not only suit our club far more with their preferred playing styles, formation and overall philosophies and would seamlessly continue what Ole has been building, just with cvs up there with Conte's. It's remarkable how the likes of you constantly reject this notion out of hand.

In addition, you are the one engaged in constantly assuming. Assuming he will work out just because he is Conte based on nothing related to the United job beyond your mistrust of Solskjaer at the helm.

On top of laughable assumptions like this below

It's okay to say I don't like his style and so I don't want him at United.
Every time you encounter some one who doesn't buy into your "lets gamble on Conte because of his great cv" idea

I dare the likes of you to show any where that I have posted not liking Conte's style or his football for you to make the dumb claim its remotely a reason I don't want him in the United job.

But to say he would be a disaster because of some baseless assumptions is stupid.
What is remarkably stupid rather is for you to claim anyone has based not wanting Conte on anything as baseless as merely not liking his style. Its a classless straw man and a sign of utter and willful refusal to understand people's actual arguments that have been put to you.

Last edited:

RedKnight88

I'd prefer someone like Ten Hag or even a Zidane. But if it means the end of Ole i'd gladly take Conte until the end of season?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
get him in. he’s won leagues with a lot less

NK86

Changed my vote. Between Ole and him, it is now an absolute no-brainer.

JPB

Absolutely not. Get Ten Hag in before Barcelona do.

padzilla

Hipster
I would usually say no but there’s no comparison between him and Ole who is utterly out of his depth. There isn’t a manager in the PL who United fans wouldn’t swap for Ole though.

padzilla

Hipster

Has Ole’s recruitment actually been that good in reality? On paper yes but in reality?

bond19821982

Has Ole’s recruitment actually been that good in reality? On paper yes but in reality?
That was exactly my point though. No manager gets 100% of the signings correct. If we have a 50-60% hit rate then we can easily say they have been good.

Ole has been horrible in the market too. We spent a whopping 200m on defence and it's still not fixed.

Ranchero

Probably not. One name i havent seen mentioned and who i think is a superb coach but untested at the very top level is Graham Potter ot Brighton.

Abraxas

Losing to Leicester shouldn't mean changing your mind on Conte. That is just sheer emotion ruling thought out decision making.

I really hope our board have more sense than that and I think they have. It's not about is Conte better than Ole. The CV tells us that categorically. It's about long term and strategic decision making. Who is the man best placed to take us forward in all aspects of the club? That's the one we have to go out and get. No knee jerk decisions, no decisions based on one or limited factors.

SAFMUTD

Ideally no, but if choosing between keeping Ole or getting Conte there's not even a debate.

Losing to Leicester shouldn't mean changing your mind on Conte. That is just sheer emotion ruling thought out decision making.

I really hope our board have more sense than that and I think they have. It's not about is Conte better than Ole. The CV tells us that categorically. It's about long term and strategic decision making. Who is the man best placed to take us forward in all aspects of the club? That's the one we have to go out and get. No knee jerk decisions, no decisions based on one or limited factors.
that

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
DDG
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Bissaka Bruno Matic Pogba Shaw
Ronaldo/Cavani Rashford/Greenwood

Sexy team. May be Bissaka can fecked off or improve his attacking ability.​

Idxomer

Probably not. One name i havent seen mentioned and who i think is a superb coach but untested at the very top level is Graham Potter ot Brighton.
A lot of people mentioned him in the "Next Manager" thread but we all know our board would never go for such unglamorous name.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

What “long term and strategic decision making” have we exhibited under the current manager? Neglecting a defensive midfielder two seasons in a row? Signing two 34+ year old strikers on the last day of the window two seasons running? Having a lopsided attack that collectively doesn’t press?

Just lazy cliches being thrown about.

Ranchero

A lot of people mentioned him in the "Next Manager" thread but we all know our board would never go for such unglamorous name.
Yup. Will probably be more keen on a manager who speaks little English (Zidane). But my god if Watford are trigger happy, United are the flipside. Ole, love him, has had his chance. We need a manager that has an actual clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.