• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

Yes we really really want another manager for only 2-3 years! Not like we are trying to build something stable at the club.
You don't go hiring an employee assuming he will be with you for their whole career. That is baseless and stupid. You hire the best one out there who suit your needs TODAY. Then take it from there year on year.

This absolutely mind-numbingly brain dead notion that we need to hire someone for an eternity is what is killing us now. How many top club who have been successful have had managers stay with them for more than 5 years. There's only a handful at best. And they keep their manager because they have proven that they are winners, not due to some notion of romanticism.

Conte may not be the perfect fit, but I will take a world class manager who may need to spend than someone who doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to setting up teams because of the "United DNA" and other tripe like that.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Back 3 under Conte would be Maguire, Varane and Baily, Baily would look less lost in a 3 and if he's injured again Lindelof will come in. Shaw at LWB and AWB for now(till we upgrade) at RWB with a sneaky feeling Lingard could play there too. 3 in the centre would be Fred in the middle with Bruno and Pogba either side just like Brozovic, Eriksen(Sensi) and Barella. Then up top Rashford and Ronaldo. Sancho Greenwood and Cavani rotation.

There is already a balance there and at least if Pogba and Bruno get lost way up the pitch, we have at least 5 players back to cover. Shaw could also play as LCB with Telles as LWB where he's most suited. COnte would be amazing with this squad, a cheat code if you ask me and the board will back him, if they hire him believe me they'll agree to his demands and he'll have the control he wants. He would love it here and love to stick it to Pep and Kloop and Tuchel. His passion is needed and I want someone who is on the touchline for 90 mins. He's my choice.

Godfather

Going from LvG to Mourinho to Ole to Conte, is just the kind of thing why Man Utd have looked clueless for years. We cant swing between different types of coaches again and again.

I'd rather have Zidane in(similar to Ole, but better in everyway), or Ten Haag although I feel like he is the new Nagelsman/Rose(hipster manager).
One can only hope he is the new Nagelsmann. That would be amazing. Or do you not watch German football?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes we really really want another manager for only 2-3 years! Not like we are trying to build something stable at the club.
  • Ronaldo - 36
  • Cavani - 34
  • De Gea - 30
  • Maguire - 28
  • Fred - 28
  • Pogba - 28
  • Varane - 28
  • Bruno - 27
The exact thing we need is a manager to focus on the immediate future and figure out how to get this team competing at the top (and winning). We aren't rebuilding anymore. We are at a win now period, and if you aren't fighting for the top during that window, you find a manager who will.

NK86

Going from LvG to Mourinho to Ole to Conte, is just the kind of thing why Man Utd have looked clueless for years. We cant swing between different types of coaches again and again.

I'd rather have Zidane in(similar to Ole, but better in everyway), or Ten Haag although I feel like he is the new Nagelsman/Rose(hipster manager).
It's not the type we went for, it's who we got that has fecked us. We could have gotten Pep, Klopp, Tuchel - all three very different from each other in the way they play and still be successful because they improve players and play a system that is better than the sum of its parts.

Get in Conte. Give him the target to win the league next season and let him bring in his players to reach that target.

Sviken

People said the same about Tuchel when Chelsea hired him, that he will implode against the players and the owner in due time but that hasn’t happened yet so far, not even of a slightest hint. In fact things are looking good for them, he won them the CL and sits them at the top the PL table. Maybe we should take the chance on Conte as well?
This is actually a perfect comparison. Go check the Tuchel thread. Most of the posters here said he'd utterly fail and that the problems at the club ran far deeper, that their squad isn't good enough, that Lampard was let down by the players, etc. Lo and behold a couple of months afetrwards, Chelsea won the CL and are top of the league. I can never understand why some of my fans are so content to stay in the same slump rather than go and risk it, with the chance of winning because of the fear of losing. Well, we're losing under Ole. Even if Conte is not the perfect manager, he's a million times better than Ole, that's for sure. And that's all we, as fans, can hope for. That's how every top club is run. How many managers Bayern, Chelsea and Madrid circle through before they find the right one? But when they do find that manager, they find immediate success. While we're stuck here hoping Ole is magically going to turn it around. No top club is managed this way.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Conte would be good addition without doubt. For me first choice would be ten Hag as he ticks all the boxes but Conte would be very good addition too.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The exact thing we need is a manager to focus on the immediate future and figure out how to get this team competing at the top (and winning). We aren't rebuilding anymore. We are at a win now period, and if you aren't fighting for the top during that window, you find a manager who will.
This I agree with. For all future managerial appointments, the now must be the priority and if something more permanent happens organically then fine, football moves so fast these days.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Although Conte won’t be my preferred choice but the transition from Ole to Conte won’t be as extreme as it was from LVG to Mourinho.

Hawks2008

Imagine not wanting a ruthless winner like Conte when your club is run by the molde manager..

Mr PG

Hansi Flisk-Former Bayern Manager and Ralph Haussenhuttl of Soton are the equivalent of Tuchel and Klopp. Attended same famed academy and play same style.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely looks like something is going on and all the noise points to Conte being the guy when it happens.

Needham

I have my doubts about Conte but at least he's not up on charges/out of his depth/past it/past it/out of his depth like his post-SAF predecessors. We'll be getting someone at the cutting edge of the football times for once.

padzilla

Hipster
Not wanting Conte is one thing, not wanting Conte when the alternative is Solksjaer is quite another.

Nick7

Great manager. Not a great fit. I genuinely don’t know the answer to the question. A solid maybe. I’ll probably be happy with whoever Ole is replaced with for a while though.

Pronewbie

Peep
I know we’re desperate for someone but Conte will be another Mourinho. His style of play doesn’t suit this club and we’ll be back to square one sooner rather than later.

The White Pele

Conte is a top manager and will definitely improve us. There are concerns about the fit and also his tendency to have conflict with the club.

I could see it happening as the smoke is growing. I think this is the first time post Ferguson that I will feel genuinely sad when we change manager, even if it’s the right thing to do.

hobbers

Stability is a myth.

What we have right now couldn't be further from stability anyway. A manager out his depth and a bloated squad half of whom want to leave.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
To be fair, he quit Inter due to the fact they told him they needed to sell some of his most important players in order to balance the books. A good enough reason to fall out with the club and leave.

leontas

Give it to him for 18-months or so to steady the ship. Top class manager with a fire in his belly. Not a great fit from a drama POV but we won't find anyone available now for the long-term.
He'll instantly have the respect of everyone in the squad given his track record and will improve our defensive shape massively.

Longlivekeano

Conte is a top class a manager and tactician. Who cares what formation of set-up he uses as long as it’s a winning one. 1-0 win anytime over a cavalier, out-of-sorts 2-4, 0-5 losses.

Longlivekeano

Ole’s excuse is just illogically dumb. I deserve a chance after a 5-0 spanking because I was also whacked 6-1 by Spurs last year. Wtf??

Mainoldo

Didn’t love it back when Jose got sacked. But love it now.

He’s got b@lls to do what needs to be done. Apply balance and insert leadership. Give DDG back his captaincy.

Sviken

Works for Chelsea, Madrid and Bayern, doesn't it? If Conte leaves, no problem. We'll find a good manager afterwards. Even Ten Hag can come afterwards. Conte and Zidane are the only proven winners available and I don't see Zidane coming here. Plus, Zidane has question marks to his name while Conte has done it all.

Hot take.

Conte is not more risk averse or defensive than Ole.
People have no idea what they're talking about when they say that.. He dominated the league with Chelsea, almost reaching 90+ points. He reached 100+ points with Juve. With Inter in his second season he reached 91 points. His GA to Ole is also on another level. Conte is pragmatic, but he is not defensive by any means. Just for the record - last season he dismantled Milan 3-0, Juventus 2-0, Fiorentina 2-0, Lazio 3-1, Sampdoria 5-1, Roma 3-1, Napoli 2-0 and Atalanta 2-0, only losing to Juventus 2-3.

If this is a defensive manager, then I genuinely do not know how to describe Ole.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not wanting Conte is one thing, not wanting Conte when the alternative is Solksjaer is quite another.
I fall into this category. Conte is a great manager but not necessarily what I'd go for. Saying that, if it means we can move on and actually gain an identity on the pitch, I'll go and pick him up from the airport myself.

gza the genius

I don't think Conte is the long term answer but I think if we don't make a switch soon then the season is over. It'd be nice if we could just get him in until the end of the season and then have a go at a more long term option in the summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hot take.

Conte is not more risk averse or defensive than Ole.

Absolutely delusional to reject Conte because he's pragmatic when Ole is that and so much more.
What Ole is or isn't is pretty irrelevant given nearly everybody thinks he shouldn't be our manager. He shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

The question is whether Conte is more risk averse or defensive than other managers we could approach and whether he has other qualities that make up for that sufficiently.

The constant "how can you say [insert negative thing about prospective manager] when Ole [insert worse thing about current manager]" comments are strawmen.

Nick.

Conte would be brilliant and I don't know why people draw comparisons with Jose and LvG.

When we hired Jose he was past his peak. Same with Louis van Gaal. Antonio Conte is currently at the top of his game. Huge difference.

Dr. StrangeHate

Ten Hag is not coming here in the middle of the season. We can discuss that point depending on how well Conte does. But we need something now, not at the end of the season.
Give Ten Hag Ole's salary and he will drive to Manchester in a couple of days.

Edit: In 10 hours he will be here. Please note this includes a ferry.

Silverman

No. Hes the right character but not the right football manager. The football would be tough to watch.
Ten Hag for me.

bdspeedy

Yes. We are run by fools. Conte doesn't strike me as a man who suffers fools gladly. He would hurt or at the very least, straighten people out. Hopefully our owners.

Sviken

Give Ten Hag Ole's salary and he will drive to Manchester in a couple of days.
Highly unlikely. He is doing extraordinary well in Ajax, he has much football left to paly for, including CL, he is not poor by any means and he is a highly sought after manager. He's not gonna leave Ajax in the middle of the season to deal with Ole's shit. We'd have a chance at the end of the season, but now is next to impossible. We tried this same thing with Klopp and he wouldn't come here. Very few managers are ever going to abandon their clubs in the middle of the season just because a big club is after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.