• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

He’d be like 3rd on my preferred list behind Ten Hag and Zidane but I’d get behind him if we did go for him. If he can take our deadwood and make them league winners at Inter Milan, then imagine what he’d be like with our good players! :drool:

And who fecking knows who’s going to be a good manager or not? Conte might be an awesome fit in reality and we can laugh how we were all apprehensive about having him as he’s raising the Champions League trophy.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Conte doesn't play with winger or wide forward. He would be a nightmare for Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho. Not the right fit with the players Man Utd has at the moment.

NewYorkRed

I personally do not want him here. I’m Ole out, but don’t want Conte in.

However. Say we get him, he makes us competent, and then leaves in a year and a half. Would that really be the worse thing in the world? Maybe by that time, say someone like Ten Hag is available. Or a new manager emerges that more fits our ethos as a club. Or, if we’re wildly lucky, Naglessman (sorry if I spelled it wrong) is available.

Ole against Pep, Klopp and Tuchel does not work. Conte might.

So, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m Conte in.

Edit: as someone mentioned above; his style doesn’t suit most of our players at all. So fit wise this would be terrible, but I’m just so sick of what we do under Ole, and it seems the players are too. We just need a change at the club.

stu_1992

He's not the one for me. Too much of another Mourinho type. And by that I mean I'm more concerned about the abrasiveness of his personality and short-term focus rather than his pragmatic focus. I don't think we should be turning to a manager we know will abandon after a short time, even if things are going well. Our board would have a nightmare with this guy as he always falls out with his employers. Too much of a sharp turn in tactics/formations too.

Highfather_24

So you're saying if it fails we'll be looking at a new manager in 2 years? Sounds like the board would be learning then.

We already spent 400M on Ole. We're always going to spend. Our squad is relatively old with young players in like 2 positions. It needs to win in the next few years.
Haha, true.

I dont have a problem with us spending. The way I see it, our squad doesnt need a rebuilt, its a good squad, with 1-2 deficiencies, which any top manager can work around. I agree we should look for immediate success, because our squad warrants that.

I think Zidane would be a better option than Conte, I think he will be a better man manager, and get the best out of our squad, and get the best outta Ronaldo, which will be instrumental to any success we have. Also his football is better imo.

Flytan

Haha, true.

I dont have a problem with us spending. The way I see it, our squad doesnt need a rebuilt, its a good squad, with 1-2 deficiencies, which any top manager can work around. I agree we should look for immediate success, because our squad warrants that.

I think Zidane would be a better option than Conte, I think he will be a better man manager, and get the best out of our squad, and get the best outta Ronaldo, which will be instrumental to any success we have. Also his football is better imo.
Agree with your assessment. I think I like Conte more than Zidane but it's certainly close between the two.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Wan Bissaka would lose out if he implemented his usual system, can't play CB or RWB, probably something like this:

DDG
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Dalot Matic Fred Shaw
Bruno
Ronaldo Greenwood

Defensive solidarity comes first for him and players like AWB, Sancho etc wouldn't be great fits for this template, that's why I like Zidane as I think he will find the best formation/ play based on the players he has.

RUCK4444

Why is that “hating” the club? It’s merely questioning the competence of those running it. Which is very much NOT just Ole.

So what do you reckon the club’s “vision” is?

I’m a great believer in both attacking football and giving youth a chance, but post-SAF we’ve had very little of either other than the latter under LvG.
Not having a dig mate, just find it odd when United traditions are turned into meme's to belittle the club with.

I get that you were directing it at the clueless owners though.

Aretak

Conte doesn't play with winger or wide forward. He would be a nightmare for Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho. Not the right fit with the players Man Utd has at the moment.
On the other hand, his preference for playing three at the back may help with the defensive problems. Maguire has often looked like a clown in a United shirt, but was excellent for England in the summer playing in a three. It should also help mask the weaknesses (and brain farts) of Bailly and Lindelof.

ShinjiNinja26

I agree with that he either has identified who can play as a wingback or he will use any of the formations that he has used in the past. If I'm being honest my fear of Conte is unjustified because his back 3 isn't a back 5 in disguise which is one of my biggest issue with managers randomly using that formation and Conte isn't as predictable as people think, he has used a multitude of systems and formations, the only constant is that he relies on a dense midfield area whether it is by using three center midfielders are by having one of the CBs stepping up.
Yep, completely agree. I’ve been warming to the idea of him coming in since the Leicester game. The complete lack of any defensive organisation and patterns of play shows we need a drastic change and he could be the man to do it.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Assuming its a 352. Greenwood is the only player that I can see suffering, who else?
I would have concerns about him, Sancho, Rashford and Bruno, based on the formations I've seen people suggest he's used previously. AWB I think would need to go as I don't see him working in either a back three or right wing back but I'm not very worried about sacrificing him at the moment. I'm also not convinced Pogba would work in it but I'd like us to move him on regardless.

lex talionis

I've said this previous, I don't think Zidane is even interested in coming here.

I'd have taken Zidane over Conte.
Same here. Zidane would be optimal but it’s not happening. I’ll take Conte but if we can bring in Ten Hag at the end of the season I’ll go with a caretaker. Not sure about Fletcher as caretaker, however. Has he even conducted a single for training session at any level?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Has an entire Wikipedia section on 'controversy'

RORY65

He's the best manager available and over the next couple of seasons I do think he would get us challenging, which isn't to be dismissed because we haven't been anywhere near since Ferguson left, but the style of football and the aggro he brings means he wouldn't be my first choice.

I'd go for Ten Hag, get a manager who will bring in a progressive, attacking style of play and someone who will make the players learn and improve on a daily basis but there's not a chance that the board's recruitment process will go beyond who they've heard of and who has the longest "Honours" section on Wikipedia.

RUCK4444

Same here. Zidane would be optimal but it’s not happening. I’ll take Conte but if we can bring in Ten Hag at the end of the season I’ll go with a caretaker. Not sure about Fletcher as caretaker, however. Has he even conducted a single for training session at any level?
Agree on the bolded as well. We cannot afford somebody like Conte coming in, ripping up the squad and disappearing after a year.

Conte could come in and totally prove me and many others wrong, his record is excellent, but I have major reservations with him as a match for the club.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Any decent right wing backs available ? He won't stick with Dalot or AWB for sure.

Mr. Ant

I hope there is another manager under consideration because Conte will be a huge miss imo.

He will rip up the squad completely and I doubt he will win the league in two years time as he won't be here much longer than that.

Teja

Assuming its a 352. Greenwood is the only player that I can see suffering, who else?
Maybe suffer is not the right word, but we'll have 3 attacking spots (#10, two forwards) with six forward players (Cavani, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Sancho). Assuming Bruno, Ronaldo are locked in, there's one position to be split amongst Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford which is a bit of a waste of talent.

Still think that's what gets the best out of Pogba, Bruno, so we should do it.

I hope we can go back to something like a 4-3-3 next year if Pogba leaves and we get a DM to replace him.

passing-wind

Conte is night and day a superior manager to Solskjaer. This is in no wise a bad move the length of his tenure is where the skepticism should be. The club have a DOF or similar influence the hierarchy should determine signings etc with agreement for the manager but this is a good squad for Conte to take over it's completely different to Mourinho or LVG.

JG3001

If we could actually get him on a rolling contract, I think it would be the best move we can make. Think he sorts the problems quicker than any of the other appointments, and it would mean we can still consider all possibilities end of the season.

I realise I'm being far too optimistic.

Kaos

Ugh the more I think about this the more I don’t want it.

Can we just get a caretaker in and just pull out all the stops to bring in Ten Hag this summer, please please please.

Laurencio

I don't get all the negativity about Conte. He's a winner, he hates losing, is great at coaching, and tactically astute. He's a brilliant manager with a proven track record.

Kaos

I don't get all the negativity about Conte. He's a winner, he hates losing, is great at coaching, and tactically astute. He's a brilliant manager with a proven track record.
It’s the style of football and his short term focus that’s the primary cause of concern I think. I think we just finally want to watch United play fluid attacking football again, bringing in Conte feels like we’d regress to the LVG/Mourinho days of tumescent ball.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Can we just get a caretaker in and just pull out all the stops to bring in Ten Hag this summer, please please please.
No. He would cost too much. Not his salary but the rebuild require to make him work.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we knew it'd be short term he'd be perfect. The problem I have is we'll improve immediately no doubt, but then the boom-bust cycle will go back round the same way it has with all our previous managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.