• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Serious question. How is he supposed to save this season ? Do you genuinely believe he would mount a title challenge this season because his CL record is pathetic. I don’t see the logic in this potential appointment from any angle.
Get us into top 4 basically. His CL record indeed doesn’t indicate that he’s capable of taking us far there but I reckon he should still be able to get us out of the group and maybe win one knockout round which would be refreshing too.

I don’t really know what his issue with CL is though as he did pretty well with Italy in Euro. He was horrible with Inter but then got them to EL final.

Crashoutcassius

Looks like the most likely thing now. Honestly absolutely ridiculous. We conceivably have a top 5 set of wingers in the world and could hire a staunch wing back manager. We possibly have the most exciting young attacking talents in the world and we could hire a coach with an extreme short term focus.

Ten Haag is totally unproven, less experienced than ole while being older, and still makes ten times the sense that this does

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Di Marzio doesn't say a deal has been struck to appoint Conte but rather he's on the list with other names like Zidane and initial contact has been made with Conte and his reps.

Neil Custis is reporting that Conte, Zidane, Rodgers and ten Hag are the 4 names on the short list, with a agent instructed to guage the plan each candidate has for the club going forward including contract terms.
:drool:

Crashoutcassius

Get us into top 4 basically. His CL record indeed doesn’t indicate that he’s capable of taking us far there but I reckon he should still be able to get us out of the group and maybe win one knockout round which would be refreshing too.

I don’t really know what his issue with CL is though as he did pretty well with Italy in Euro. He was horrible with Inter but then got them to EL final.
Hard to get behind sacking ole and switching styles totally so that we can get top four and get out of a group that we are currently top of.

HoustonRed

Thats a fake vote count. The voting was opened in May, things are much different now. I bet the numbers will be a lot favorable to Conte now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hard to get behind sacking ole and switching styles totally so that we can get top four and get out of a group that we are currently top of.
Well getting top 4 is quite important and I really doubt we get out of this group with Ole. Both Atalanta and Villarreal will spank us at home and 9 points won’t be enough most likely.

He’s not my preferred choice though.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why are we not going all in for Brendan Rodgers?
Why are we not going all in for literally every manager in the world?
Antonio Conte is available and happy to take the job. They don't get much better than him.
Its because I believe that Ten Hag will be a perfect manager for our young players who will be much more interested in playing free flowing attacking football.

Conte is a great coach but his philosophy is similar to Jose's. We should appoint the next manager based on how we want to play football and not just hire the best available.

EtH

Di Marzio doesn't say a deal has been struck to appoint Conte but rather he's on the list with other names like Zidane and initial contact has been made with Conte and his reps.

Neil Custis is reporting that Conte, Zidane, Rodgers and ten Hag are the 4 names on the short list, with a agent instructed to guage the plan each candidate has for the club going forward including contract terms.
Don’t know about you but I am slightly if guardedly optimistic at the moment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What Custis is reporting makes sense regarding the club making contact with all 4 candidates (Conte, ten Hag, Zidane, Rodgers) and it seems the Italian media have reported their side of the story with Conte.

evil_geko

Conte would not be my first choice, but would rather have him than Rodgers, can't stand him.

EtH

I don't know what some fans are watching. What kind of football you think we're playing under Ole?
It isn’t a choice between Ole and Conte. It is between Conte and all other available options, some of which play much better football and promote youth in doing so.

Crashoutcassius

Well getting top 4 is quite important and I really doubt we get out of this group with Ole. Both Atalanta and Villarreal will spank us at home and 9 points won’t be enough most likely.

He’s not my preferred choice though.
Personally think we will both get top four and get out of the group, not sure why it is some kind of guarantee that we wouldn't. I agree with what you are saying that basically nothing to play for this season with ole or Conte, just think that means we should be patient and get a manager that actually makes sense

Sviken

It isn’t a choice between Ole and Conte. It is between Conte and all other available options, some of which play much better football and promote youth in doing so.
Conte is literally the best manager available. Who do you reckon we should get right now? And I'm not talking about fantasy appointments like Ten Hag. Give me a realistic target. And Conte doesn't play defensive football, that's a myth. Last season his Inter basically dismantled all the top teams in Italy with easy. If that's defensive football, then I really don't know what you'd call Oleball.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Strictly as an opponent fan this is my dream scenario. Man United settle on Conte and dismiss Ole. A week into getting Conte’s contract complete Conte objects to some seemingly nothing aspect of the contract. Four days go on trying to make it happen and finally both sides walk away. Big Sam is brought in for caretaker until the end of the season.

a Chelsea fan can dream!!

NZT-One

De Gea
Varane - Lindelof - Maguire
Dalot - Pogba - Matic - Shaw
Sancho/Greenwood - Ronaldo - Rashford

That's how we'll line if he plays 3-4-3. He'll prefer Matic as DMF for stability, and his pace won't be a concern as we'll be playing with 3 defenders, including Lindelof who can push forward to provide support to midfield if we need to.

He'll want to sign a RWB and will probably want to replace Ronaldo next season as well. If Pogba leaves he'll want to sign another top class attacking midfielder. That's 3 signings. Otherwise we'll be fine. The rest is good.

Bruno I think will be the one to suffer. He can play in 3-5-2 if we decide to go for 2 strikers instead of 2 wing forwards and strikers but I prefer the above 3-4-3 imo and I think Bruno won't be as permanent figure in the lineup as he's now.
The point in a 3-at-the-back formation is, that you can save yourself the DM. Makes no sense to put Matic in front of three CBs. If we wanted to do that, we wouldn't have to go 3-4-3 for it.

Crashoutcassius

What was the context here?
Conte said after the game that Wenger had been criticized for losing 3 nil the week before and that he wasn't stupid enough to play open and lose 3 or 4 nil, so they just stood there while 1 nil down. Was absolutely incredible. Reading a few quotes here to remind myself

Delano

Better than "boring defensive football" that's for sure. He would not be my first choice, but people are going so much overboard with how defensive he plays.
Pretty staggering when we've just finished a season where we scored zero goals against the "top 6" 7 times.

Andre Kagawa

I'm baffled by how many people are against Conte. He's absolute top dog and represents everything Ole doesn’t. If reports are true that he's 'keen on the job' etc I can promise you he already has a midfielder in mind to sign in January.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don’t know about you but I am slightly if guardedly optimistic at the moment.
I'm hopeful we steer clear of Conte because I'm hoping we take a holistic approach to hiring a new Head Coach. I'm a firm believer in coaches who implement a proactive brand of football that looks to impose and dominate the game. And 3 of the best coaches in the EPL do just that, with two of those implementing a strong positional game which is something someone like ten Hag also does similarly to dominate zones to exert control. I've had enough of seeing United play reactive football against the big clubs. Hopefully Paul Hirst is correct and we target a new man who will juggle the hear and now along with developing some very bright young talented players who are on the cusp of the first team.

I also have no issues with anyone wanting Conte and he has his methods which have been successful domestically . But for me i'm hoping we steer clear and it would be a knee jerk reaction by the club to run to the first available Manager after parting ways with Solskjaer. We should wait until the end of the season if we need to imo. We're not gonna win the league and shouldn't panic and just jump on the first available Manager.

Crashoutcassius

I'm baffled by how many people are against Conte. He's absolute top dog and represents everything Ole doesn’t. If reports are true that he's 'keen on the job' etc I can promise you he already has a midfielder in mind to sign in January.
Probably two, to replace pogba and Bruno to fit his system, plus a right wing back and a centre back I'd say. We are far from the ideal squad for a Conte team

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I love those trophies, but i'm more fond of what we'll be into the next 3 years. Conte is a short-termist (imho). And he left his last club in tatters, massively due to his purchases. Ten Hag or Zidane for me.

Sviken

I love those trophies, but i'm more fond of what we'll be into the next 3 years. Conte is a short-termist (imho). And he left his last club in tatters, massively due to his purchases. Ten Hag or Zidane for me. And no to this CONte.
Give up on the idea that every manager is clamoring for the United job and plans to stay here 20 years. Not happening. As far as leaving his clubs in tatters, that's ridiculous. Chelsea, Juventus and Inter now have been very successful after he left them. Leaving his clubs in "tatters" would be the last critique anyone would have of Conte.

EtH

Conte is literally the best manager available. Who do you reckon we should get right now? And I'm not talking about fantasy appointments like Ten Hag. Give me a realistic target. And Conte doesn't play defensive football, that's a myth. Last season his Inter basically dismantled all the top teams in Italy with easy. If that's defensive football, then I really don't know what you'd call Oleball.
Ten Hag. We have already been linked with him. Conte brings a myriad of issues to the table rather than solutions.

Sviken

Ten Hag. We have already been linked with him. Conte brings a myriad of issues to the table rather than solutions.
I said no fantasy appointments. We're not getting Ten Hag mid-season. Might as well have said we should try to poach Klopp or something, about as realistic of a scenario.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Pretty staggering when we've just finished a season where we scored zero goals against the "top 6" 7 times.
What we are doing right now has nothing to do with the next appointment. Getting it right is as important as sacking Ole. Wouldn't mean much if we screw it up with another defensive manager just because he was available. Anybody wants to talk about Conte's European record?

Eddy_JukeZ

I love those trophies, but i'm more fond of what we'll be into the next 3 years. Conte is a short-termist (imho). And he left his last club in tatters, massively due to his purchases. Ten Hag or Zidane for me.
His last club was Inter.

How did he leave them in tatters?

Slysi17

Personally think we will both get top four and get out of the group, not sure why it is some kind of guarantee that we wouldn't. I agree with what you are saying that basically nothing to play for this season with ole or Conte, just think that means we should be patient and get a manager that actually makes sense
No way we get top four with Ole in charge for the rest of the season. Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we will.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Conte said after the game that Wenger had been criticized for losing 3 nil the week before and that he wasn't stupid enough to play open and lose 3 or 4 nil, so they just stood there while 1 nil down. Was absolutely incredible. Reading a few quotes here to remind myself
Alright, I'm worried about him now with that mentality.

We need to be much more solid but solid doesn't mean cowardly.

EtH

I'm hopeful we steer clear of Conte because I'm hoping we take a holistic approach to hiring a new Head Coach. I'm a firm believer in coaches who implement a proactive brand of football that looks to impose and dominate the game. And 3 of the best coaches in the EPL do just that, with two of those implementing a strong positional game which is something someone like ten Hag also does similarly to dominate zones to exert control. I've had enough of seeing United play reactive football against the big clubs. Hopefully Paul Hirst is correct and we target a new man who will juggle the hear and now along with developing some very bright young talented players who are on the cusp of the first team.

I also have no issues with anyone wanting Conte and he has his methods which have been successful domestically . But for me i'm hoping we steer clear and it would be a knee jerk reaction by the club to run to the first available Manager after parting ways with Solskjaer. We should wait until the end of the season if we need to imo. We're not gonna win the league and shouldn't panic and just jump on the first available Manager.
Agreed. It is high time we took a more proactive approach on and off the pitch. I really don’t see the logic in appointing Conte considering his CL record and the current level of competition in the PL amongst other issues. But most importantly I hope we will be looking at our young core and going after a coach who can implement a system to get the best out of them and instill a new culture even for the next manager and the next. We need to end the cycle of transition from manager to manager and get back to what this club is all about which is attacking football and promoting youth. I am encouraged like you that we seem to be looking to do just that or at the very least didn’t just immediately plump for Conte as many expected.

estel_manutd

Another one who hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. He played 343 at Chelsea, with Hazard & Pedro as inside forwards. That suits our forwards perfectly.
If it's 3-4-3 then they play as wingers, if it's 3-5-2 then Rashford or Greenwood play as the striker next to Ronaldo/Cavani, and Sancho is fighting for the #10 position which is fine with him too. He's fine.
He played two defensive midfielders in Matic and Kante in central midfield at Chelsea. There is no pair of central midfielders at this club that can play in a two in the middle of the park.

In the lineup you propose, we will play:

Rashford-Ronaldo-Sancho
Shaw-Matic-Pogba-Dalot
Maguire-Varane-Lindelof

We will get runover in central midfield IMO.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Agreed. It is high time we took a more proactive approach on and off the pitch. I really don’t see the logic in appointing Conte considering his CL record and the current level of competition in the PL amongst other issues. But most importantly I hope we will be looking at our young core and going after a coach who can implement a system to get the best out of them and instill a new culture even for the next manager and the next. We need to end the cycle of transition from manager to manager and get back to what this club is all about which is attacking football and promoting youth. I am encouraged like you that we seem to be looking to do just that or at the very least didn’t just immediately plump for Conte as many expected.
Wouldn't speak too soon. There's every chance Conte will be straight in once they let Ole go. I hope he is.

sosolid4u09

You cant keep running in the opposite direction when you hire a new manager ffs. Conte would us starting from scratch.

Ole has built a decent squad here. Our strength is in our wide attackers. Rashford sancho greenwood is a brilliant young pool of forwards. We struggle at centre back really and our full backs are hit and miss with wan bissaka awful going forward. Our squad does not suit contes style at all

Status
Not open for further replies.