• No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's a big stretch on a lot of moving parts, changing managers is hard enough but then to add someone who reports directly to a board that we fans don't see eye-to-eye with is damn near impossible.
Well woody leaves the job at Christmas so this would actually be a smart move. VDS is not only a clever CEO at Ajax but he’s also a football man and well liked by United fans. Whereas if they replace with Arnold, he’s another corporate bean counter and a glazer yes man

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like a Jose light tbh. :D
By all accounts, Mourinho had a difference face for the cameras than the one had behind closed doors with the players and staff. He's light-hearted and funny. Conte is kind of an intense guy on and off camera, but if you see it for what it is, a short term appointment to hunt the trophies this squad was assembled to win, and is capable of winning, then you'll be fine.

I fell in love with him immediately. I was at the opening game at home to West Ham, Costa scored a late winner, Conte celebrates wildly, dives into the crowd.

UpWithRivers

Didnt Conte play 3-4-3 at Chelsea with Costa up front with Hazard and Pedro either side of him? That means we can still use Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho. The players out will be Pogba and Fernandes because he always plays 2 defensive mids - Kante and Matic if I remember rightly at Chelsea. And WB will be out either way.

Highfather_24

We cannot have a manager start to dismantle the current squad and try to rebuild it again, we have to have a manager that will make the most of the players already here, plus making additions into central MF.
This is the biggest problem I have with him. Despite all the "Ole doesnt have a style", everybody knows what Ole's style is. Its to hit the team in transitions, try to win the ball back quickly and get it forward with least number of touches. When that doesnt work, try a more measured build up approach. Stress on wingplay with overlapping fullbacks, and building out from the back etc.

However, we all know the tactical limitations. The biggest plus I see with Conte is he will properly coach the players with all the basics of modern football like proper defensive organisation, pressing, attacking combinations etc. Things that the squad will benefit from when we get a more offensive manager like Ten Haag later on for example.

My concerns with Conte :

- Boring football and whether he can get the best out of our top heavy squad.
- Whether he can challenge the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel at their prime.
- His CL record.

Positives with Conte :

- Winner
- Will coach the team well, and drill them into being a modern tactically aware team
- Will make us defensively solid, and hard to beat.

The more I read about Conte, the more I think he is similar to Tuchel in so many ways.

Oranges038

Looks like the most likely thing now. Honestly absolutely ridiculous. We conceivably have a top 5 set of wingers in the world and could hire a staunch wing back manager. We possibly have the most exciting young attacking talents in the world and we could hire a coach with an extreme short term focus.

Ten Haag is totally unproven, less experienced than ole while being older, and still makes ten times the sense that this does
That's it for me too. I think the squad doesn't suit his style. It looks the the same as going through Moyes, LVG and Jose, just lurching to different styles.

Crashoutcassius

Alright, I'm worried about him now with that mentality.

We need to be much more solid but solid doesn't mean cowardly.
He prob does have an incredible intense mentality. But it often leads to mourinho style wierd moments to make a point, like the above. Just an example of the strange things that can happen when things go badly I'd say. He has rarely faced challenges in his career though which some see as a good thing but could be seen in a different light

Highfather_24

A 3 in the back lives and dies with the wingbacks, they are most important cog.

We dont have wingbacks.

saivet

Could Lingard be one of the forward players that plays as a wingback in certain games?

Crashoutcassius

No way we get top four with Ole in charge for the rest of the season. Your living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we will.
He has got 2nd and 3rd and would have got top four half way through the season if we weren't 8 points off or whatever in his first year. Clearly we can say he knows how to get top four. Your point which you are certain of is based on nothing but your negative feeling. Good luck with your feelings

We need an rvn

This is the biggest problem I have with him. Despite all the "Ole doesnt have a style", everybody knows what Ole's style is. Its to hit the team in transitions, try to win the ball back quickly and get it forward with least number of touches. When that doesnt work, try a more measured build up approach. Stress on wingplay with overlapping fullbacks, and building out from the back etc.

However, we all know the tactical limitations. The biggest plus I see with Conte is he will properly coach the players with all the basics of modern football like proper defensive organisation, pressing, attacking combinations etc. Things that the squad will benefit from when we get a more offensive manager like Ten Haag later on for example.

My concerns with Conte :

- Whether he can challenge the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel at their prime.
- His CL record.

Positives with Conte :

- Winner
- Will coach the team well, and drill them into being a modern tactically aware team

The more I read about Conte, the more I think he is similar to Tuchel in so many ways.
He can play whatever defensive style he wants. The simple truth is our DM's are not on the same level as those at the other 3 clubs - until we address that part, I don't think we'll see any improvement from this squad

Highfather_24

With Conte in charge, will people still complain about "patterns of play"? Will he satiate the demands of "hipster" fans?

Flytan

Obviously? But again it's October, you won't find many people who are deserving of it without a job. It's a world cup year, no international manager is leaving their job. They fecked it up keeping him after Villarreal. At least do something to try to salvage the season before our squad gets even older

WPMUFC

The positive for me if conte gets the job is that we can pre-write our "told you so" posts when he's sacked before the end of the season. :lol:

Christ alive, i cannot believe this is now a serious-to-likely scenario.

Wilt

He has got 2nd and 3rd and would have got top four half way through the season if we weren't 8 points off or whatever in his first year. Clearly we can say he knows how to get top four. Your point which you are certain of is based on nothing but your negative feeling. Good luck with your feelings
Whoopee big deal ….managed top 4 without ever remotely challenging for the title.

Lentwood

Whoopee big deal ….managed top 4 without ever remotely challenging for the title.
I am all for sacking Ole but this is a bit of a daft post to be honest. Consecutive top four finishes certainly WAS an achievement, given Moyes, LvG and Jose all failed to do it, arguably all with better/more experienced squads at times.

Let's not overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater every time. We have a good squad and a new manager coming in now will make the tough decisions Ole has been dodging, get some organisation into them on the training pitch and results will pick up before we know it.

I still believe we are two CMs and a manager away from being a very, very good side

BorisManUtd

Does anyone have a breakdown of which round his teams reached in the CL?
2012/13 - quarterfinals with Juve, out vs Bayern
2013/14 - finished 3rd in a group with Real Madrid, Galatasaray and Kopenhagen
2017/18 - round of 16, out vs Barca
2019/20 - 3rd in a group containing Barcelona, Dortmund, Slavia Prague, then obviously got to EL final where they lost 3-2 to Sevilla
2020/21 - 4th in a group with Real Madrid, Borussia Monchengladbach and Shakhtar Donetsk

As brilliant as he is league wise, out of all top managers, Conte's probably worst in Europe, at least his record so far suggests that.

Wilt

I am all for sacking Ole but this is a bit of a daft post to be honest. Consecutive top four finishes certainly WAS an achievement, given Moyes, LvG and Jose all failed to do it, arguably all with better/more experienced squads at times.

Let's not overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater every time. We have a good squad and a new manager coming in now will make the tough decisions Ole has been dodging, get some organisation into them on the training pitch and results will pick up before we know it.

I still believe we are two CMs and a manager away from being a very, very good side
Certainly don’t agree they had better squads but not Interested in the past. Totally agree with the last sentence.

fergosaurus

2019/20 - 3rd in a group containing Barcelona, Dortmund, Slavia Prague, then obviously got to EL final where they lost 3-2 to Sevilla
2020/21 - 4th in a group with Real Madrid, Borussia Monchengladbach and Shakhtar Donetsk

As brilliant as he is league wise, out of all top managers, Conte's probably worst in Europe, at least his record so far suggests that.
Thanks for checking that out. That is a concern for sure and something our board should be considering. Although if he can get us competitive again in the league and win a trophy that's a job well done I suppose.

Zoo

Could Lingard be one of the forward players that plays as a wingback in certain games?
Van Gaal tried him there. It’s possible if everyone knew their roles and the system which you’d imagine under Conte would be the case.

reelworld

I think only 2013/14 and 2020/21 that he underperformed. The rest should be as expected don't you think?

saivet

I think only 2013/14 and 2020/21 that he underperformed. The rest should be as expected don't you think?
2012/13 - a very good Bayern team but they lost 4-0 on aggregate
2017/18 - a 4-1 aggregate defeat to a Barcelona who were showing signs of their decline

2019/20 - this definitely was an underperformance

Drew to Slavia Prague at home in the first game thanks to an injury time equaliser
Blew a 2 goal lead at HT away at Dortmund, going on to lose 3-2
In the final game they needed a win to progress against Barcelona. This was the starting line up for Barca..
Neto
Lenglet, Umtiti, Todiob
Rakitic
Alena, Vidal, Firpo, Wague
Griezmann, Perez​
They lost 2-1

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm not 100% sold on him as the best replacement for Ole. But I can't help but to think that he could be what we need after all. He can be that man. I mean all the garbage players that we had, that we disliked, he bought lots of them and turned them into title winners while getting them to perform as what we expected them to perform for United. If he's good with our garbage, imagine what he can do with all the jewels. If he was able to get our rubbish performing then he could have outdone LvG and Jose easily. If he was managing another club right now, he's probably rubbing his hands waiting for another United player to get sold so he can buy him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Conte's CL record is the biggest black mark on his career.

It is appalling, but his league record is tremendous.

Still prefer Ten Hag over him. I'd rather bring in a caretaker and get Ten Hag in the summer than get Conte in now.

Flexdegea

I don't get that attitude. Would make sense if we were in the Champions League every season at a canter, but getting into top 4 been a massive issue for us since Fergie went. Not consistent at all for qualifying from league position.

All good having that we are United attitude, it's not a big deal, we aren't Arsenal, but the reality on the pitch for last 9 years has been telling us it's actually a big deal for future planning and for finance, as we've mostly been shite in the league.

BorisManUtd

You're probably right but his record is still worse than those other top managers. League wise, he'd make us strong and hard to beat, we'll probably finish next season with most points won since Ferguson, but I'm not sure we'd win the title. His record is great, but he did win Premier League in 2016/17, when Chelsea played one game a week and Pep was only starting his City career, it was early stages for Klopp too. Similar thing with his title with Inter, no real top competition imo.

I'm not trying to undermine his success, but it's not guaranteed trophies if he comes, it's a different league to the one from 5 years ago. That said, whoever comes it's not guaranteed success, it's just that I'd be happier if he had better CL record, so we have higher hopes of finally doing something worthy in that competition after years of being irrelevant in it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

My concerns with Conte :

- His CL record.

Positives with Conte :

- Winner

They're quite similar in approach. A lot of us wanted Tuchel so I'm assuming the same lot would want Conte.

Wilt

I don't get that attitude. Would make sense if we were in the Champions League every season at a canter, but getting into top 4 been a massive issue for us since Fergie went. Not consistent at all for qualifying from league position.

All good having that we are United attitude, it's not a big deal, we aren't Arsenal, but the reality on the pitch for last 9 years has been telling us it's actually a big deal for future planning and for finance, as we've mostly been shite in the league.
Slight cross purposes, agree it’s important …Utd should always be seen competing in the CL for all kinds of reasons.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
Does anyone have a breakdown of which round his teams reached in the CL?
When he was at Juve he got beaten in the QF by the Bayern side that won the treble. Hard to hold that against him though as that side was quite immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.