• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Unlikely to happen

He doesn’t have admirer in the board

Saf and the others don’t like him…
That's probably it. Which is funny given his teams have all played more exciting football than Ole's United with our conservative fullback and double pivot. We have this facade right now of having the 'right values'. Conte brings genuine excellence and more goals than Ole too, but he's still less the United way than our manager. Go figure.

hobbers

The board dont like him because he's liable to do what Mourinho did and expose their incompetence. Only as a current winner he'll do it with much more authority than a rock-bottom Mourinho.

The more I read about the old boys network not liking Conte the more I think he's clearly the right choice. Because the people around United, on the board and in the media, who dont want him are all deluded idiots with track records of abysmal decision making.

amolbhatia50k

Most of those who don't want him now are going to fall in love with him when he joins. His energy alone from the sidelines is going to be much more heartwarming than any brand of football a flavor of the month is going to try to play. Opposition fans are going to hate us when we are winning.

We are becoming a soft touch and way too uninspiring as a club, and everyone is just nostalgic and obsessed with ideals and phenomenons. Give me the old school form of winning any day.
Yup one thing Conte does it actually walk the walk. He is ruthless when it comes to maintaining standards. It's like getting Mourinhowhen he was actually good. Not my preferred option, but such an incredible upgrade it's a no brainer.

We're the only club on the planet who would rather stay with mediocre Ole getting battered left, right and centre, than go for Conte one of the world's best managers.

amolbhatia50k

The board dont like him because he's liable to do what Mourinho did and expose their incompetence. Only as a current winner he'll do it with much more authority than a rock-bottom Mourinho.

The more I read about the old boys network not liking Conte the more I think he's clearly the right choice. Because the people around United, on the board and in the media, who dont want him are all deluded idiots with track records of abysmal decision making.
Yeah Conte would call out any slackers immediately and that doesn't suit many people current at United. Better to protect their jobs and continue to fiegn competence. The United way :lol:

reelworld

Indeed.
It's my biggest worry how much the old boys network still have a grip on the club, and that includes Sir Alex sadly.
Conte is the best available choice right now. He wanted to come and he could come and fix our leaky defense immediately. I don't really care about Europe at the time being. But I'll say this, this Manchester United squad will be the most talented group of players he'll ever managed compared to his teams in Italy. There's a possibility that he could do better with them.
But that could be reassessed 2-3 years down the road once he's up for contract renewal anyway.

hobbers

Indeed.
It's my biggest worry how much the old boys network still have a grip on the club, and that includes Sir Alex sadly.
Conte is the best available choice right now. He wanted to come and he could come and fix our leaky defense immediately. I don't really care about Europe at the time being. But I'll say this, this Manchester United squad will be the most talented group of players he'll ever managed compared to his teams in Italy. There's a possibility that he could do better with them.
But that could be reassessed 2-3 years down the road once he's up for contract renewal anyway.
Give him a 2 year contract and reassess it at this point next year, if he's got us close to where we should be offer him an extension.

If Conte only lasts 2 years, that's fine. That's the point to look at ten Hag or Marco Rose.

This is what any competent board of a top European club would do in our position given the options available.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Give him a 2 year contract and reassess it at this point next year, if he's got us close to where we should be offer him an extension.

If Conte only lasts 2 years, that's fine. That's the point to look at ten Hag or Marco Rose.

This is what any competent board of a top European club would do in our position given the options available.
Agree completely.

United need a competent coach but also a dogged fighter right now.

This isn’t the time or situation for a ‘champagne’ football coach.

The club and dressing room needs sorting out, clearly.

Conte is the man to get it back on track with a nice short contract.

FatTails

Again,.a new manager will want his own players. We'll be back to square one very soon. That's the issue and perhaps the reason we probably don't fancy him.
We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world, we pay our managers handsomely, and an unproven Ole was backed to the tune of 440m in 2.5 years. It’s time we behave like the big club we are.

If we want Conte, then give him a 12 or 18 month deal, like Chelsea did with Tuchel. If he really starts making a fuss about wanting to replace half our squad (sure he will want a couple of players which is fine), then get rid. If he does well enough and has an impact (well enough not based on feelings, but predetermined objectives), then renew.

We need to stop getting a manager, giving them long contracts, making them special songs, and idolizing them before they’ve done anything of note at United.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Of all the options being talked about, Conte is the one I have most confidence in to adapt his tactics to our squad, since he’s not a purist by any means. Others might play nicer football with a potentially higher ceiling (and I really, really want that), but this squad is built to win now.

Strelok

Changed my vote to yes.

Zidane is not interested so he's probably our best choice I think. Let's hope he can win something with the current squad. And will play Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho.

GregM40

Starting to warm to the idea.

As others have said, an 18 month contract seems the most sensible thing for us to do, but can’t recall United being that sensible lately.

Seems it would hinge on the next 3 games.

RatPack

Short term (rest of this season + next season) I think Conte could be the best choice right now.
But he will come with similar tactics as Mourinho and he will most likely not look as much to the young talents (not a priority in short term for him). He could potentially destroy more than he fixes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know this is a very weird question but I want to see the answer.

Considering Conte is regarded a very short term manager that maybe here from 1-2 years where we can reap the benefits -

Who are the managers that would be available in 2 years time that are not available now?

Sure we can't see the future but 2 years time isn't exactly to far to see and is likely the same managers available now gone through a bit more progress isn't it?

largelyworried

Short term (rest of this season + next season) I think Conte could be the best choice right now.
But he will come with similar tactics as Mourinho and he will most likely not look as much to the young talents (not a priority in short term for him). He could potentially destroy more than he fixes.
Conte and Jose may share a certain personality type, but their tactics are chalk and cheese. Sure, they both like a defence that works but that's where the similarity ends.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
I am on board the Conte train now. I've listened to the people who know about him best; not the frankly bizarre views of people calling him Jose 2.0 just because they assume he's a very defensive manager. Not true.

I think he's exactly what we need, and is available.

MalaysianRed7

Many reports now that we’re only giving Ole the next 3 games to give Conte a good start after the international break. In that case, he’ll be starting with away games against Watford, Villarreal and Chelsea, before a run until January where we’d expect to win every game. Wouldn’t be the end of the world if we made that choice, although I’d prefer to have a chance in the next 3 games.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Feels like the club are briefing this Conte stuff now. Lots of journalists running with pieces about how he's the right man all of a sudden, including Henry Winter who I thought is reliable? He put his piece out at midnight. Feels like somebody at the club is setting the stage for this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If the club are "briefing" stuff (redcafe favourite), then they want to make their minds up to what their view is!
Wildly changing between Ole in, out, Conte is wrong, Conte is right etc.

AussieDevil

I know this is a very weird question but I want to see the answer.

Considering Conte is regarded a very short term manager that maybe here from 1-2 years where we can reap the benefits -

Who are the managers that would be available in 2 years time that are not available now?

Sure we can't see the future but 2 years time isn't exactly to far to see and is likely the same managers available now gone through a bit more progress isn't it?
The short-term option makes Conte more desirable in my opinion. At the moment the available options are Conte, Zidane, Ten Hag, Rodgers. The only one who looks like he could build something long-term is Ten Hag and even he is coming from a build which has an ingrained system and there is no evidence he can replicate the same system at a club that doesn't have the same hierarchy as they do at Ajax.

In 2 years time, we will know more about Potter, Rose, Nagelsmann and De Zerbi. Those 4 look like the future and look like they could build foundations at a club long term. Pochettino will probably also be out of Paris at that point.

In the mean time, we would have a top 5 manager in the world.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The short-term option makes Conte more desirable in my opinion. At the moment the available options are Conte, Zidane, Ten Hag, Rodgers. The only one who looks like he could build something long-term is Ten Hag and even he is coming from a build which has an ingrained system and there is no evidence he can replicate the same system at a club that doesn't have the same hierarchy as they do at Ajax.

In 2 years time, we will know more about Potter, Rose, Nagelsmann and De Zerbi. Those 4 look like the future and look like they could build foundations at a club long term. Pochettino will probably also be out of Paris at that point.

In the mean time, we would have a top 5 manager in the world.
Who is de zerbi?

saivet

I'm beginning to be more open to the idea of Conte but I'm not sure whether this is me simply accepting it's a realistic possibility and convincing myself it will be fine.

reelworld

I think he is the next manager.
The other names, Ten Hag, Rodgers, Zidane, are just names to make it sounds United are considering other candidates. I think they're finishing the fine prints right now.
For what it's worth, Ole will be gone after Spurs, no result will be good enough to keep him

at least that's what I hope

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If I'm not mistaken he played with a front three at Chelsea with Hazard, William and Costa carrying the attack. So we would have Ronaldo/Greenwood, Bruno and Greenwood/Sancho/Rashford. Two would miss out. Cavani can be Ronaldo's backup, I'm not really bothered. But yeah the two young ones are obviously a priority.

Also a 343 is not unsuited to us, it's just unsuited to AWB and hence we'd need a wingback which should be cheap.

Look obviously I want us flying and playing attacking football like a City and Liverpool. That would be my preference. But if the club is incapable of spotting the next big thing in management which would not be a surprise, are we given we have Ole as manager, in the position to turn down one of the very best on the planet ? I don't think so. So while I'd like someone more exciting, Conte is an enormous upgrade over Ole. He's no less exciting on the pitch (Ole is a conservative manager) but he's actually brilliant at what he does. Which is he accumulates league titles as if it's nothing.
I don't really have a fundamental problem with 3-4-3, you CAN play very good and attractive football with it.

Don't have an issue with Conte either, always liked him and he is a character.

Where I disagree with most expextations around here is

1. Pogba and Cristiano are up shit creek as guaranteed starters (I don't care, very much the opposite, it's an upside of having a demanding manager that takes no prisoners)

2. Our midfield pair will remain fundamentally flawed (upside is, we would focus on sorting that out in January, which is long overdue)

3. We need a fantastic RWB, which isn't Dalot or a converted Lingard (in fairness, we could do with such a player today).

4. Bruno may become a bit of a misfit (not terrible)

5. My BIG issue: Greenwood becomes a complete misfit. I haven't been as excited about anyone since Rooney/Ron 15 years ago. That to me is a massive gamble. Sancho I think may adapt better, but not Mason.

Edi will slot in like a glove until Summer, but come Summer we absolutely 100% need Haaland. None of the other forwards we have suit the Costa/Lukaku role (or, basically, Drogba in Mourinho speak).

If we are to write off Greenwood we'd better be more committed to this than an 18 months trial of sorts.

Last edited:

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I don't want Conte at United. I prefer Ten Hag, then Zidane. We ought to go for managers at the end of the season so that we can get the best option possible, whether the manager is under contract with another club or not. Our bigwigs are not thinking big. Choosing what's easiest to get will land us in more trouble. It seems like we have not learned anything from previous appointments.

Conte is so boring yet also incendiary that where I used to tolerate his name when mentioned by the sports news, now I almost throw up whenever I hear his name. He can take his suit, his plastic surgery face, his premium toupee and stay away from United. The Ole ins will tell us so if the next United manager fails, and Conte will depart after a couple of seasons. He is not the answer. We must not be cheap when trying to fix this managerial problem, because doing so will be tantamount to papering the cracks in a big way in the boardroom.

Bobade

I don't really have a fundamental problem with 3-4-3, you CAN play very good and attractive football with it.

Don't have an issue with Conte either, always liked him and he is a character.

Where I disagree with most expextations around here is

1. Pogba and Cristiano are up shit creek as guaranteed starters (I don't care, very much the opposite, it's an upside of having a demanding manager that takes no prisoners)

2. Our midfield pair will remain fundamentally flawed (upside is, we would focus on sorting that out in January, which is long overdue)

3. We need a fantastic RWB, which isn't Dalot or a converted Lingard (in fairness, we could do with such a player today).

4. Bruno may become a bit of a misfit (not terrible)

5. My BIG issue: Greenwood becomes a complete misfit. I haven't been as excited about anyone since Rooney/Ron 15 years ago. That to me is a massive gamble. Sancho I think may adapt better, but not Mason.

Edi will slot in like a glove until Summer, but come Summer we absolutely 100% need Haaland. None of the other forwards we have suit the Costa/Lukaku role (or, basically, Drogba in Mourinho speak).

If we are to write off Greenwood we'd better be more committed to this than an 18 months trial of sorts.
I don't see how Greenwood becomes a complete misfit in a 343?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't see how Greenwood becomes a complete misfit in a 343?
He is not the striker, never will be.

The inside forward roles are more suitable for Rashford/Sancho. They are more suited to creative types, not incisive types. Not that you can't be incisive, Hazard/De Bruyne work well there and aren't exactly showponies faffing about with the ball, but Mason is nothing like them.

Mind, it may serve us well while our RWB is shite, but there's not much future for him to fulfill his huge promise in a well-functioning 3-4-3.

---‐----------------------De Gea
-------------Varane-Lindelof-Maguire
Dalot/JLingz-- --McFred????-----Shaw/Telles
-----Sancho/Bruno--------Rashford/Pogba
----‐--------------Cavani/Cristiano

Flytan

The other names, Ten Hag, Rodgers, Zidane, are just names to make it sounds United are considering other candidates. I think they're finishing the fine prints right now.
For what it's worth, Ole will be gone after Spurs, no result will be good enough to keep him

Yup ideal (can't believe I'm using this word to describe it, thank you incompetent board who was afraid to pull the plug earlier) is that Ole is in charge for Spurs but the decision has already been made. He then leaves after the game regardless of result. Caretaker takes charge for midweek game. Conte announced after Atalanta. Conte in stands for City game.

I just worry they actually think if we win/draw at Spurs then throw all this away and keep him

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I think this is right. We all know Ole is gone, he’s just not gone right now because once they shove him, Carrick, Phelan and McKenna out the door who is going to sit in the dugout? Until Conte signs, Ole is basically doing the interim job he was tasked with 3 years ago.

Infra-red

If the club are "briefing" stuff (redcafe favourite), then they want to make their minds up to what their view is!
Wildly changing between Ole in, out, Conte is wrong, Conte is right etc.
Reports suggest that the Board is split on Conte (and therefore are unlikely to appoint him unless forced in to it), but the consensus candidates (Rodgers, Ten Hag, Pochettino etc) are all unlikely to be available before next summer. There isn't a viable interim/caretaker option available. Given the reports regarding dressingroom turmoil, Ole appears to be a dead man walking, so it's a question of when he goes not if he goes.

Given all of the above, this will presumably play out in one of two ways: Either Ole turns it around and we get good results and performances from the next three games (in which case he remains in post and we look to replace him with one of our preferred targets in the summer), or, things are so bad in the next three games that it gives the Board the nudge they need to appoint Conte in the international break following the City game.

So that's it - either Conte gets appointed sometime w/c 8 November or we keep Ole for the remainder of the season and get Pochettino/A.N.Other in the summer. I genuinely don't know what the best option is.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ten Hag is the obvious appointment but whether the club will see that, I don’t know.

People saying Conte as a short term option - I mean, sure he’s better than Ole, but I’m not sure it’s as simple as that as he'll want a semi-long contract and then we'll end up having to try and get rid of him, pay him off after a year or two, with all the nastiness and losing of the changing room that goes along with that, and then the cycle starts again.

Infra-red

Ten Hag is the obvious appointment but whether the club will see that, I don’t know.

People saying Conte as a short term option - I mean, sure he’s better than Ole, but I’m not sure it’s as simple as that as he'll want a semi-long contract and then we'll end up having to try and get rid of him, pay him off after a year or two, with all the nastiness and losing of the changing room that goes along with that, and then the cycle starts again.
Probably right, but then the question remains - what do we do for the next seven months?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reports suggest that the Board is split on Conte (and therefore are unlikely to appoint him unless forced in to it), but the consensus candidates (Rodgers, Ten Hag, Pochettino etc) are all unlikely to be available before next summer. There isn't a viable interim/caretaker option available. Given the reports regarding dressingroom turmoil, Ole appears to be a dead man walking, so it's a question of when he goes not if he goes.

Given all of the above, this will presumably play out in one of two ways: Either Ole turns it around and we get good results and performances from the next three games (in which case he remains in post and we look to replace him with one of our preferred targets in the summer), or, things are so bad in the next three games that it gives the Board the nudge they need to appoint Conte in the international break following the City game.

So that's it - either Conte gets appointed sometime w/c 8 November or we keep Ole for the remainder of the season and get Pochettino/A.N.Other in the summer. I genuinely don't know what the best option is.
It always seems baffling that we can't "buy out" a manager of a "lesser" team like we would a player.
Clearly there's no chance of that with Poch, but what makes the other two so gettable in the summer, but impossible now?

Status
Not open for further replies.