Would you take Giroud as a stop gap?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

If Cavani is off that is, Kane off the table and Haaland at a stupid cost - would ya?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
i would, he’s dreamy. but i wouldn’t want to see him at united.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yes. If Cavani worked for 10 goals then he will too. It’s just all the friggin stop gaps are going to eventually bite us in the ass. Next year we will surely need something else and a striker. Just go and buy someone for the next few years!

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not really. I think he's decent and have at times thought he should be playing every week for Chelsea, particularly at certain points during last season. I suppose because of his age though now, and that he's scoring less often with his limited opportunities this campaign I'd only ever see him as a sub here too even if Cavani goes. Sounds like he doesn't want that based on that Tweet and that he wants to start regularly so it wouldn't even be a possibility if so, he'd just be in the same position here.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd definitely take him, with or without a new striker. He'll get 20 starts easily if we play in 4 competitions and he is a proven goalscorer.

AshRK

And when we don't win the title or challenge for it,let us not moan then.

tomaldinho1

If he's on the bench, yes, he'll always get goals but not as a starter. Greenwood has the ability if we can get someone like Sancho.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm surprised - what other strikers can come in as a stop gap, be a lethal threat in the opposition box, not be injury prone and be happy with a squad role (Giroud I imagine is frustrated at Chelsea at getting virtually no time. I'm assuming he at least wants to be considered in rotational capacity at least)?

I mean it's likely we won't go for Haaland this summer as it seems far fetched. It's also unlikely Levy will sell us Kane. So what options are we left with?

I think we could do a lot worse.

Smores

I'd say no but that's only because I think we need a main striker to come in. If Martial left and we got a starting striker then I'd take him as 3rd choice to provide backup. He's a decent player.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yes and bin him in the reserves until he retires. That way he won't score another goal against us.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I mean he's no cavanni, but he has been very useful for chelsea and arsenal. Surprised at the hate here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he's on the bench, yes, he'll always get goals but not as a starter. Greenwood has the ability if we can get someone like Sancho.
Yeah I hear that, but we will need that plan B. The Leeds game was a good example of being lost for ideas and if Cavani goes we will need some form of an equivalent to turn to.

laughtersassassin

We have signed too many stop gap strikers since Ferguson retired.

Only signed one who was an attempt at a long term solution in Lukaku and he is gone. If we sign another stop gap striker we have to sign Sancho

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have signed too many stop gap strikers since Ferguson retired.

Only signed one who was an attempt to improve in Lukaku and he is gone.
Top strikers also have to be available, and it needs to be viable economically too. I don't think we've ignored the striker problem as much as we have the right wing.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
:lol:

If Cavani is off there are worse options...I think.
yeah. there are definitely worse things, like following through in the supermarket, or being mistaken for a peado and having your car torched, but still.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've always thought Giroud was massively under rated. The biggest problem was that he went to a team that didn't suit his strengths. Arsenal doesn't play with a "big man". At Chelsea it seems that whomever the manager is, they look for reasons not to play him. he can get benched for 10 games and then get a start and score 2 goals. They will then start him for a run of games where he does very well, but the moment he has a quiet game he is back on the bench. As for United, I'd take him, but I'd want someone else in as well. He'd be a good option to have if Cavani leaves...

tomaldinho1

Yeah I hear that, but we will need that plan B. The Leeds game was a good example of being lost for ideas and if Cavani goes we will need some form of an equivalent to turn to.
Absolutely, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's not going to cause issues with being a plan B. I actually think, and this might be an unpopular opinion given Cavani has a bit of a cult following, that Giroud would suit us better/score more goals because he's a great finisher, despite being weaker than Cavani in other areas.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Why would he go to Utd, just going to be on the bench too?

Issue he'll have is finding a club where he'll play regularly that is at the level he wants and can match his wages.

Can't really think of any clubs that fits.

laughtersassassin

Top strikers also have to be available, and it needs to be viable economically too. I don't think we've ignored the striker problem as much as we have the right wing.
That excuse doesn't fly when we have only signed 1 since 2013 and he has been sold.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ibra,Ighalo,Cavani and now Giroud. Aren't people getting abit tired of stop-gaps ?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That excuse doesn't fly when we have only signed 1 since 2013 and he has been sold.
You rarely have the opportunity to sign more than one in 7 years, top strikers are a bit rare and generally not for sale.

youmeletsfly

We've been taking stop gaps in the ST position since fecking RVP, so fecking no.

Tarrou

Yeah

I’d rather spend the money on a right winger and give Greenwood a proper go up front

There’s no obvious signing at striker but for right wing there is - sancho - a world class winger in the making

*unless we can get Harland or Kane, which seems impossible

Jev

I would. Always liked him as a player and found him very underrated. He's a great link-up player, creative and unselfish and a reliable goalscorer. I'd love him as a stopgap.