Would you take Giroud as a stop gap?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's fine when you already own one or two. The excuses have to stop. We just aren't ambitious
What kind of logic are you following, where are the top strikers that we were supposed to sign? They need to actually exist and be available.

binary bot
I'm generally in favour of short term stopgaps rather than making a long term commitment to someone we're not 100% on, but we've gone too far with the striker position, especially with Haaland and Kane moving and hopes looking all but gone with Martial. We've essentially had short term solutions since post van Persie.

If we can't identify someone after this long then we're looking for a complete bargain or the scouting is shit.

Threesus

Give the keys to Mason. If he doesn’t play as a striker at the pro level, he is not going to learn the position properly. And does anybody want to pay a million bucks/week (that was the demand made by raiola to Barcelona apparently) to Haaland? He is amazing, but not that amazing. You would have to be a Messi clone to justify those kinds of wages to some extent.

I don’t think giroud is the answer. We have McNeil and hugill coming through as well.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Surprised no one has made a thread on Wood's at Burnley. Scored a Hat-trick over the weekend. Top forward,imo.

FatTails

I prefer to get Lewandowski or Benzema, if Haaland ends up at the respective clubs. I’d probably prefer Aguero over Giroud, too.

With Mason, Martial, and Rashford, I don’t see us spending 100m on Kane or Haaland, nor should we, so I agree that we might need an interim solution.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Please no, I am sick to death of stop gaps. Zlatan, Ighalo, Cavani. Can we just go all in for a CF that will be our main CF for years to come.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I prefer to get Lewandowski or Benzema, if Haaland ends up at the respective clubs. I’d probably prefer Aguero over Giroud, too.

With Mason, Martial, and Rashford, I don’t see us spending 100m on Kane or Haaland, nor should we, so I agree that we might need an interim solution.
Martial is clearly not good enough though, so signing Kane or Haaland would push him down the pecking order, and with his attitude he would then end up pushed out of the club. Selling him or using him and money to buy Kane would be a good idea.

Paul_Scholes18

Yes as a backup he is a fine player. Not as a starter though I think we should aim higher.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Could you imagine if Giroud was our main signing this season.

It'd be like an admission that we were just trying to hang about in the top 4 and not even dream of looking higher.

Brightonian

Cavani's intelligent movement, outstanding workrate, leadership qualities and poaching instincts are what have made him valuable to us. Giroud has a little of the former and a little of the latter but neither of the other two in any great spades. I wouldn't sniff at him as a stop gap if he was cheap and we had a more long term plan, but he's unlikely to fire the whole forward line into action the way Cavani so often does.

Teja

Nope. Martial / Greenwood can rotate at #9. We really need a starter of Kane's quality at CF.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm surprised - what other strikers can come in as a stop gap, be a lethal threat in the opposition box, not be injury prone and be happy with a squad role (Giroud I imagine is frustrated at Chelsea at getting virtually no time. I'm assuming he at least wants to be considered in rotational capacity at least)?

I mean it's likely we won't go for Haaland this summer as it seems far fetched. It's also unlikely Levy will sell us Kane. So what options are we left with?

I think we could do a lot worse.
Suggested this before. Yes, i think he's a very good option.

The Oracle

Q). Which of our forwards score headers?

A). Cavani

If he does decide to leave then we remove our aerial threat in the box

...bringing in Giroud then solves the problem.

Gordon S

Not his biggest fan but still a decent shout. But no, wish we found someone else.

reddevilz007

Giroud as stop gap if Cavani leaves.
Greenwood to start.
Martial will be rotating as striker and LW.
Then in summer 2022, pay Haaland’s buyout clause

Alan Partridge

If Cavani leaves and we can’t get anyone better then definitely yes. He’d certainly improve our squad and, in most instances, our first XI too.

arthurka

We have signed too many stop gap strikers since Ferguson retired.

Only signed one who was an attempt at a long term solution in Lukaku and he is gone. If we sign another stop gap striker we have to sign Sancho
This.. just get a top striker in and let's have for once someone who comes up with 25 goals plus.

Josep Dowling

The last time he was available on a free I would have taken him. But why do we need a stop gap now? We need a 25 goal a season striker to get anywhere near City.