• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NK86

Sitting nicely above United in the table with a far far worse availability of talent. I personally would like him to be considered for the United job, Brighton play good football and he gets the best out of his players. Should be a contender.
Sitting above us is also West Ham and now also perhaps Arsenal. Sitting above us with Ole in charge isn't really the right barometer for employing managers. Potter needs to do much better over the course of at least 1 full season. To take him over someone like Conte is the same stupidity that we have been committing ever since Fergie retired.

T_Model101

I haven't seen enough of him in interviews to be able to judge his personality, but he obviously believes enough in himself if he was willing to reject Spurs for because they aren't a top 4 club
Would apparently cost £15M to buy out his contract at Brighton though

NK86

He’s accomplished about as much as Nagelsmann or Rose, yet people will dismiss him as not experienced enough for a big job.

Just like the other two there’s a risk he could be a flop. But if our more experienced options are a dour Conte or a non English speaker like Zidane, I’d say why not. Just put him on a short term contract and if it isn’t working or there hasn’t been a significant improvement after 6/12 months get rid.

We don’t need rebuilds anymore, Ole has done that and done it well. With a relatively young squad we can get a bit trigger happy with underperforming managers for the next few years.
Leipzig finished 3rd and 2nd under Nagelsmann. You really think that is similar to what Potter has done so far!

Also Conte is not dour. He has better tactical acumen than Graham Potter for starters and just so he plays 3 at the back doesn't mean he is a defensive coach.

Our fans want the hipster of the month and then when it all goes south, the same ones wonder why is our Board incompetent.

Imagine any club (let alone one at the level of United especially during this stage of our rebuild) wanting Potter over Conte.

JB7

Our fans want the hipster of the month and then when it all goes south, the same ones wonder why is our Board incompetent.
I tend to agree with you about our fans wanting the hipster of month but when have we ever actually appointed one?

NK86

I tend to agree with you about our fans wanting the hipster of month but when have we ever actually appointed one?
You could say Ole was similar. A few good results at the start if his care taker period and we hired him.

fergosaurus

Leipzig finished 3rd and 2nd under Nagelsmann. You really think that is similar to what Potter has done so far!
He also got to a CL semifinal and German cup final. Ridiculous to compare him to Potter.

Our fans want the hipster of the month and then when it all goes south
Not long ago we were all fawning over the alpine Klopp and look how that's turned out. We never learn.

Giggsy13

I think the United job would be a step too big for Potter. I’m shocked Spurs didn’t make a move for him after sacking Jose, would seem to be a good move for him as well.

NK86

He also got to a CL semifinal and German cup final. Ridiculous to compare him to Potter.

Not long ago we were all fawning over the alpine Klopp and look how that's turned out. We never learn.
I am amazed how people who have paid any attention to Nagelsmann could ever say Potter at his level yet. Sure he could get there but he has a long way to go for that.
What we need right now is a manager who knows how to maximize the team's potential and then get results. I would surely pick Conte over any of the other ones potentially available to do that job better.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A big step up and too soon into his career. He needs to go to a Spurs or Everton and win a trophy before he earns the right to manage a bigger club. We don’t know how he would deal with expectations to win and with everyone scrutinising his results etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was quite high up my shortlist when Chelsea were looking to replace Lampard and if this thing with Tuchel starts to go sideways, I'd be looking at Potter again, if he's still at Brighton. Such a gem of a manager.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He was quite high up my shortlist when Chelsea were looking to replace Lampard and if this thing with Tuchel starts to go sideways, I'd be looking at Potter again, if he's still at Brighton. Such a gem of a manager.
Absolutely, would have been a great fit for your squad too.

Lee565

I would take him over rodgers of we going to go with another gamble

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We are hungry for league title or UCL title now. We need serious one who can push us to compete with the likes of Pep, Klopp, and Tuchel with this good squad and full talent. I don't think Potter is ready for the challenge, someday may be if we want to rebuild the team again but not at the moment when we should be thinking to win.

Withnail

Sitting above us is also West Ham and now also perhaps Arsenal. Sitting above us with Ole in charge isn't really the right barometer for employing managers. Potter needs to do much better over the course of at least 1 full season. To take him over someone like Conte is the same stupidity that we have been committing ever since Fergie retired.
I agree. If the choice is someone like Conte or Potter, you're not going to choose Potter at the moment.

Brighton clearly underperformed last year and with a clinical striker or two would have been much higher up the table but that may have been a blip. This year, while it's still quite early, they are looking healthier points-wise but look to be overperforming, if anything.

I think the jury is still out on him.

JustAGuest

His style of football is what makes him an ideal candidate despite managing a lesser side.

BlueHaze

No, because you're basically taking Brendan Rodgers pre-Liverpool in that scenario.

I'd be offering Brendan the job ASAP
Then we would in 1.5 years time screaming for yet another useless coach to be sacked. He's no where near United quality.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Hm, it might be true that United is still a too big step for Potter, but a lot of the comments here don’t realize what a talent he is or what he has achieved with small means.

marktan

I'm a big fan of his. You rarely ever see his Brighton side get outplayed, even against the better sides. That's what we need at United.

Excellent coach and tactician.
Excellent man manager (has a masters in leadership and emotional intelligence).
Brighton have signed well over the last 3-4 years.

All things needed to build a top team.

reddevilz007

People keep saying bring him in because he has clear playing style, tell me, is that all it takes to manage Man Utd?? Christ, we really have been suffering :lol:
Every top teams have a playing style, so it would already be a good start from what we currently do not have.

soapythecat

After all this, you are delighted at the thought of another unproven project?
Potter has kept a weak Brighton side in the PL and played some really good football. He’s not a flash in the pan. You can clearly see what his team are trying to do. We’ve gone down the proven route, and it hasn’t worked. If proven route means Conte and unproven means Potter or Ten Hag then I’m unproven all the way.
Let’s not kid ourselves Ole shortcomings are because he is unproven. They are because he’s not a very good manager.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Then we would in 1.5 years time screaming for yet another useless coach to be sacked. He's no where near United quality.
I go along with that. Last year, it was Eddie Howe.
It needs to be acknowledged that managing a club the size, stature and level of expectation as Manchester United probably requires someone with a fairly, unique set of skills and capabilities.
That is what we had with Sir Alex Ferguson. Now, Graham Potter might be that man. But he probably won't.
We are seeing what David Moyes is capable of. Hugely impressive. But there is a big difference between the job at West Ham and Old Trafford.
I just hope that whoever replaces Ole, we are able to identify someone with those key attributes. Remember, Ole was only supposed to be a temporary appointment. He would never have met the required skill sets and still doesn't.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If your club decides to fire Solskjaer, I think this would absolutely be an option they should consider. An unassuming, British appointment with a record that screams promise and a good tactical handwriting.
Would probably be best to wait until summer to bring him in though, it would be kind of scummy to leave Brighton midseason while he's ahead in the table.

BlueHaze

I go along with that. Last year, it was Eddie Howe.
It needs to be acknowledged that managing a club the size, stature and level of expectation as Manchester United probably requires someone with a fairly, unique set of skills and capabilities.
That is what we had with Sir Alex Ferguson. Now, Graham Potter might be that man. But he probably won't.
We are seeing what David Moyes is capable of. Hugely impressive. But there is a big difference between the job at West Ham and Old Trafford.
I just hope that whoever replaces Ole, we are able to identify someone with those key attributes. Remember, Ole was only supposed to be a temporary appointment. He would never have met the required skill sets and still doesn't.
Yes, exactly but most people who want guys like Rodgers or Potter don't seem to grasp what a massive step up in the career that is. As for whoever will replace Ole, don't have any high hopes mate. With this board everyone knows they'll feck up next appointment as well.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If we sack Ole this season it has to be conte I think. Anything else would be a huge risk and put top 4 in doubt. The chances Potter would come in to this club and hit the ground running immediately having never managed the level and ego of these players just seems very unlikely to me. Conte would come in and get results immediately even if he may not be the best option long term. He’d have the respect of the dressing room day one - Potter wouldn’t and would have to earn it while trying to get his ideas across and get instant results.

Syphon Wallet

Would like to see him at another Prem club with a bit of transfer budget before he comes anywhere near the United job.
Doing well with Brighton and doing well with United are very different.
They almost need differing job titles they are that far apart.

WakeAndBeek

Nope, results wise he hasn’t done much better than hughton and co for Brighton, and even the likes of Steve Bruce at other clubs.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes. But I’d take Conte over everyone.

0le

I'd like to see him perform at a club such as Spurs or Everton first.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, exactly but most people who want guys like Rodgers or Potter don't seem to grasp what a massive step up in the career that is. As for whoever will replace Ole, don't have any high hopes mate. With this board everyone knows they'll feck up next appointment as well.
Indeed. I used to work for a global jet engine manufacturer. And one thing they were pretty good at, apart from making brilliant products, was the rigourus way they identified and recruited individuals for their key roles.
And knowing how they did that, I have to say that someone like Ole would have never got even remotely close to an interview. Let alone actually be appointed.
And there is no reason at all why United should not be just as rigourous.

Status
Not open for further replies.