• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinav

For once, it would be great if we could act like a big club that we are. Appointing Rodgers would be so uninspiring. Moreso because we know if he is appointed, he will be given at least 2 years unless he manages to bomb like Moyes. We are headed nowhere near the top with the current owners & board.
I was not too keen on Conte, but if it was a choice between Conte & Rodgers, we should have grabbed the chance when it was staring us in the face.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
David Moyes is ahead of Ole in the table as of right now. Maybe we should hire him?
He is a hell of a lot better than Rodgers. Of that, there is not much doubt.

If we Rodgers is the option we should wait. If we hire Rodgers we will not win the PL this decade. So yeah, stick with Ole, Phelan or whatever caretaker we can get this season. Forget 21/22, hire someone good and get a good coach this summer. To hire Rodgers know comes at a huge cost for 22/23, 23/24 and 24/25. Maybe even longer.

Highfather_24

The fact that our board chose Rodgers over Conte, means they are okay with long term failure(over 5-6 years) over short term success(2-3 years).

This is a man that takes a L for a living. He solely exists, because someone needs to collect the participation trophy. He is living a NPC life.

We are already a circus, we dont need another joker.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I just know he is the guy to take us forward since pretty much everyone here is against him.

The caf is usually wrong.

Partridge

I'd take him for two years. We might actually have some sort of system at some point. We got a manager who wants to attack, or so he says, and sets up to do anything but. Get out ole you minge bag.

passtheball

It remains to be seen whether Rodgers is a bottler or not with a genuinely great squad (his great Liverpool side only had Suarez and Gerrard as WC players). We have a great squad right now, and what I am sure of is that he will have United playing infinitely better football than Ole's passion-desire-DNA kickabout.

For that alone, I will take Rodgers.

As for him being an ex-Liverpool manaager, I just don't give a damn. We need to get beyond the romantic idiocy that has got us into this mess in the first place.

redsunited

Why is he so disliked or an unpopular choice other than him being an ex dipper manager? :confused:
Rodgers is a big flop and should have been sacked by Leicester for the teams performances under him.

Rodgers team failed whenever pressure got to them in the league. They missed out top 4 in last 2 seasons while comfortably in 3rd and title with Liverpool when they were favourites. One FA cup victory by 1 shot on target against Chelsea and Keeper having the man of the match performance is the achievement of Rodgers.

2019/20 : 29 Matches 53 Points, 38 Matches 62 Points - 9 Points from 9 matches(3rd to 5th) - Ole(from 8 points down) and Lampard(from 5 Points down) beat him in the race
2020/21 : 29 Matches 56 Points, 38 Matches 66 Points - 10 Points from 9 matches(3rd to 5th) - Tuchell(from 5 points down) and Klopp(from 10 Points down) beat him in the race
Right now, they are 15 Points from 11 matches and they are getting no where. This is the manager some of the United fans eagerly expecting to be next manager.

The above all is similar to or worse than what we expect from Ole. Next 4 years min will be wasted if we get him as our manager as we will have to do another rebuild in 2 years time without winning anything. Leicester is decent because of their scouting team, not pulling trees because of Rodgers. If we signed him, Man United board is going to waste all the money spent in last few years again in mismanagement. Fool and their money.

Last edited:

led_scholes

This is 2013 all over again: back then, there was Jose, Ancelloti, Guardiola available but we took Moyes. Now there was Conte, Zidane and others and yet we go for the worst one available. Amazing.

Acquire Me

Some friend of mine who supports Liverpool actually rate him. Think he has become even better after the spell with them.

Obviously not my first choice, but it’s a bit intriguing tbh.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The situation is so dire that I'm contemplating the idea of having Rogers as our manager. Anyone but Ole it seems.

But, deep down, I know this will not be the right appointment. Rogers is a good manager no doubt, but not an elite manager and as many posters have said, certainly not the manager to compete against the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and tuchel.

His record ultimately proves that he's a nearly man, failure to win the league with Liverpool, the top 4 bottle jobs. And let's not forget where Leicester are in the table this season! Leicester fans aren't exactly happy with him this season, with some sections even wanting him to leave. Logically, we should not hire another manger who is on a downward spiral (like LVG, Mourinho) but with our board, logic is thrown out of the window. Plus, I can see the fans easily turn on him after a few bad results due to the Liverpool connection.

My 2 cents...this would be disastrous appointment.

AshRK

Why is he so disliked or an unpopular choice other than him being an ex dipper manager? :confused:
For me it has very little to do with him being an ex pool manager. I don't think he will he a right fit here. For starters people have a huge misconception that his side play some amazing dominant football which they don't. I find his football a tad uninspiring.

The other big factor that goes against him is bottling top 4 twice when it was theirs. I feel he has too many of bottle records attached to him. Yeah he won them a FA cup but I just can't go past the fact that his side had top 4 in their grasp and then screwed it up.

I also don't think he will be good at managing egos here. The pressure here is 10 times than in Leicester so I am not too sure if he is capable of handling that. I remember after his 2nd finish season, he just couldn't handle the pressure next season. I also feel his transfer business is a hit and miss.

Again this is by no mean suggesting he is not a good manager or not better than Ole. If we were to hire him, I will reluctantly back him and hope he proves me wrong but personally I wouldn't make this appointment. It will be very uninspiring one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Because he's done very little to suggest he's good enough for an elite side, including failing during his previous stint at an elite side.

Leaving aside any issues with him being a former Liverpool manager, this would be akin to the David Moyes appointment. Hiring a good-but-obviously-not-good-enough manager when better ones were on the market.

Ixion

Because he's done very little to suggest he's good enough for an elite side, including failing during his previous stint at an elite side.

Leaving aside any issues with him being a former Liverpool manager, this would be akin to the David Moyes appointment. Hiring a good-but-obviously-not-good-enough manager when better ones were on the market.
Rogers has at least been in title races and won a trophy while Moyes never had.

Also I think some people are forgetting Sancho cost more than all of their summer signings combined, Manchester United and Leicester operate at different levels. Him losing out on the last day for top 4 to one of the bigger money clubs doesn't mean he's awful.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The answer to our issues is a manager currently behind a struggling Ole in the league and even 8pts behind Moyes's Westham too ???

i think we all know where this is going. A 5th failure out of 5.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
If Utd could take him now then I say yes. He would improve the playing style and, even if he was not successful, he would leave the team in a good position for the next manager.

If he is not available until the summer then probably not worth it.

dove

The answer to our issues is a manager currently behind a struggling Ole in the league and even 8pts behind Moyes's Westham too ???

i think we all know where this is going. A 5th failure out of 5.
I don't think Rodgers is the best manager we can get but judging someone from 11 games is a bit daft.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I don't think Rodgers is the best manager we can get but judging someone from 11 games is a bit daft.
We will forever be a laughing stock whoever is in charge until the club is structured properly. I have made peace with that.

A top class coach like Ten Hag won't come anywhere near us with likes of Woodward and Arnold around. Not to mention Darren Fletcher as a sporting director with literally zero qualifications for the role.

Rodgers will just be the next guy to try and to fail. We won't be a serious club again under the Glazers and if they refuse to sell up then my word it's going to be a difficult time for us fans going forward.

Foxbatt

Some friend of mine who supports Liverpool actually rate him. Think he has become even better after the spell with them.

Obviously not my first choice, but it’s a bit intriguing tbh.
He is a good manager but I don't think he is among the top managers. I rate Ten Hag above him. If obviously we can't get 10 then Rogers is much better than Ole for sure.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I dont dislike him. I just dont rate him that high. I think he is quite an average manager in the PL. His teams dont defend well. They dont press well, and they dont defend well in a low block.

It is not just that he is significantly below Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte. In my opinion, the teams of Hassenhutl, Moyes, Bielsa, Arteta and Potter looks better organized. They appear to have more of a plan in and out of possession. Their players appear to be improving more. And unlike, Rodgers, their teams do not have a history of regressing after a short time period (juries out on Arteta). Hell, even Benitez is probably a better coach.

It feels like a similar case to Mourinho in 16 when quite a few fans where pro-Mourinho. People look at a few stats (84points and 100 goals +), ignoring context and quite a few other stats. Probably not paying much attention to the quality of football at his teams either.

Leicester-supporters are basically crossing their fingers that we will go for him. And we probably will. And the very same moment we hire him, we can forget about a title the next decade for Man Utd.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Sacking one failing manager after 11 games for another failing manager after 11 games doesn't seem intelligent either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rogers has at least been in title races and won a trophy while Moyes never had.

Also I think some people are forgetting Sancho cost more than all of their summer signings combined, Manchester United and Leicester operate at different levels. Him losing out on the last day for top 4 to one of the bigger money clubs doesn't mean he's awful.
If by "been in title races" you mean "oversaw and contributed to the most spectacular title implosion in PL history" then sure, chalk that up in his plus column.

As for the FA Cup, I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in him winning that one extra game (Moyes got to an FA Cup final) when people like Mikel Arteta have won it too. If that's the sort of achievement that gets you the United job then standards really are low here.

And Moyes at least got Everton into the CL places, while Rodgers has blown it from poll position with Leicester two years on the bounce. Though seems to have ensured that won't happen a third time by getting Leicester looking like a side who won't be anywhere near a CL place thus far this season. So well done there to Rodgers too, I guess.

Ixion

One FA cup victory by 1 shot on target against Chelsea and Keeper having the man of the match performance is the achievement of Rodgers.
Against a Chelsea side that would be Champions of Europe 2 weeks later and a squad built on a fraction of the cost. If you don't want him fine but don't try to shit on an achievement like that because Schmeichel kept them in it, they were underdogs.

GBBQ

The biggest problem is that we have (arguably) the 3 best managers in club football at Chelsea, City and Liverpool. So its either we roll the dice on someone like Ten Hag (who could be the next big thing) or get in someone like Pochettino or Rodgers who know the league well and have remained stable and competitive with big teams during their tenures in the league (albeit without producing any title wins).

Ten Hag would be a huge gamble, he could be a mastermind or he could be the next Villas-Boas (domestic dominance, looked great in Europe but then a huge failure in the PL). With no margin for error he'd have to hit the ground running and turn this squad into title contenders. How will he deal with a bunch of randomly acquired footballers (some with huge egos, some who have no business being at United) compared to a squad schooled in the Ajax way.

Rodgers / Poch would probably improve consistency in the team and push forward. Maybe not drop points against the smaller teams. We might be in the hunt for the title but ultimately miss out to one of the three rivals.

Personally I would gamble on Ten Hag. Poch or Rodgers is like admitting that we're just buying time until Klopp and Pep leave their clubs. Ten Hag is the one to at least try and chase them down.

Ixion

If by "been in title races" you mean "oversaw and contributed to the most spectacular title implosion in PL history" then sure, chalk that up in his plus column.

As for the FA Cup, I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in him winning that one extra game (Moyes got to an FA Cup final) when people like Mikel Arteta have won it too. If that's the sort of achievement that gets you the United job then standards really are low here.

And Moyes at least got Everton into the CL places, while Rodgers has blown it from poll position with Leicester two years on the bounce. Though seems to have ensured that won't happen a third time by getting Leicester looking like a side who won't be anywhere near a CL place thus far this season. So well done there to Rodgers too, I guess.
Save your snarky attitude. I voted no in this poll and would rather a different manager but it doesn't' mean you have to belittle someones achivements.

dove

We will forever be a laughing stock whoever is in charge until the club is structured properly. I have made peace with that.

A top class coach like Ten Hag won't come anywhere near us with likes of Woodward and Arnold around. Not to mention Darren Fletcher as a sporting director with literally zero qualifications for the role.

Rodgers will just be the next guy to try and to fail. We won't be a serious club again under the Glazers and if they refuse to sell up then my word it's going to be a difficult time for us fans going forward.
Well I agree. What I am trying to say is that Rodgers is clearly not the best manager we can get but we shouldn't judge him solely from this season's Leicester. He is a good manager who has a clear tendency to bottle things and is a few levels below the top top managers that every rival has now. But since we are clueless, I have no doubts Rodgers will be our manager next season. Underwhelming but I am just praying it's not Southgate.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Against a Chelsea side that would be Champions of Europe 2 weeks later and a squad built on a fraction of the cost. If you don't want him fine but don't try to shit on an achievement like that because Schmeichel kept them in it, they were underdogs.
Yeah, that’s an insanely stupid argument from a Manchester United fan. We didn’t deserve to win the CL in ‘99’ on balance of play and only won our last CL trophy because John Terry put his penalty wide.

lsd

The Oracle
The only reason Rodgers did not win the league with Liverpool and deliver their first title in so many years was because Gerrard fell over on his ugly face.

That can hardly be out down to Rodgers bottling it.

People saying he is poor because he came so close to securing a top four door for Leicester. Leicester ?

He is clearly several steps above Ole and is very highly thought of from people who have worked with him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Save your snarky attitude. I voted no in this poll and would rather a different manager but it doesn't' mean you have to belittle someones achivements.
If we can't be snarky about a former Liverpool failure then I don't know what this forum is any more.

Gordon Godot

Well I agree. What I am trying to say is that Rodgers is clearly not the best manager we can get but we shouldn't judge him solely from this season's Leicester. He is a good manager who has a clear tendency to bottle things and is a few levels below the top top managers that every rival has now. But since we are clueless, I have no doubts Rodgers will be our manager next season. Underwhelming but I am just praying it's not Southgate.
NouCamp is spot on. The best coaches will not come near this club with the likes of Woodward and other Glazer stooges in charge. One of the articles the other day was spot on, a forward lookign manager would demand we become a football club and not the Disneyland social media obsessed sh*tshow that Woodward has delivered. We actually sign and keep players for their ability and performance, not shirt sales or resale value. It would also make business sense too but for some reason the Glazers dont see that, no dount because they are too wealthy to really care. And they dont care whether UTd ever win another trophy. Its irrelevant to them.

Nickelodeon

I'm sure if we go for Rodgers, Leicester will go for Potter who will turn out as the better manager which would be another Soyuncu/Maguire scenario.

Conor

I think it's pretty obvious that he is a massive bottler in the PL, when it comes down to it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's just highlighting that Rodgers is not good enough. Without being told, Im sure you know he hasn't done anything great to be considered he is good enough for Man United. Unless if you can tell us? I would rather take Poch who at least knows how to finished top 4 with similar or less budget/resources as Rodgers has.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think it's pretty obvious that he is a massive bottler in the PL, when it comes down to it.
Think thats harsh even though I do not think we should go for him

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's just highlighting that Rodgers is not good enough. What has he done before this season to be considered he is good enough for Man United? I would rather take Poch who at least knows how to finished top 4 with similar or less budget/resources.
Id wouldn't take either. Poch failed to win a single trophy in England. Rodgers at least won the FA cup with a worse squad than Poch had at Spurs

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He's just highlighting that Rodgers is not good enough. What has he done before this season to be considered he is good enough for Man United? I would rather take Poch who at least knows how to finished top 4 with similar or less budget/resources.
Who is also a bit of a bottler.....(& is also showing at PSG he may not be able to handle the ego's)

Status
Not open for further replies.