Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I don't think he is the manager we need. He is much better than what we've got, and again as we have 0 planning ahead, we leave ourselves with little options.

Would prefer Ten Hag but the timing aint good

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
YES! Can't believe people voting no.. you'd rather stick with Ole who can't organise a team!? or play a high-press and high intensity possession based football game.

The Northern Irishman is a tactical genius who City have already earmarked as the Pep replacement. Worked under Mourinho and travelled all over Spain developing his coaching style and tactics. Manchester United should be all over him. Plus Rodgers family are big Manchester United fans

plus Rodgers plays 4-4-3 or a 4-4-2 Christmas tree formation which is perfect for the squad and players we have.
The "you'd rather stick with Ole?" argument is silly. Pretty much every poster arguing against Rodgers is saying he's obviously better than Ole.

But being better than Ole is rather irrelevant, because Ole isn't an option to replace himself. It's a given that he should go. The question is where Rodgers ranks against all the other managers across the world who could possibly replace Ole either now or in the summer.

You'd have a hard time finding a manager at a PL club who isn't better than Ole. That doesn't mean any of them will do.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The "you'd rather stick with Ole?" argument is silly. Pretty much every poster arguing against Rodgers is saying he's obviously better than Ole.

But being better than Ole is rather irrelevant, because Ole isn't an option to replace himself. It's a given that he should go. The question is where Rodgers ranks against all the other managers across the world who could possibly replace Ole either now or in the summer.

You'd have a hard time finding a manager at a PL club who isn't better than Ole. That doesn't mean any of them will do.
Exactly.

Being against Rodgers' appointment doesn't mean you think Ole should get a new 10 year contract. Honestly, I was OleIn but I've lost all faith in him. I'd still love to see him prove me wrong. However, I don't believe he will. I can see that we need to change coach.

I just don't see why that coach has to be Rodgers.

Why can't we talk to other top coaches? Why can't we look at other options? Why is it Rodgers or bust?

Devil may care

Exactly, the two things don't correlate. I think this is a story floated out there by the United board to divide the fanbase and decrease the clamour for Ole to be sacked.

djembatheking

Seems like a lot of people want him because he is better than Ole . He isn’t a top manager though and we will be in the same position as we are in now only it will be an ex dipper manager that our owners will be giving another chance to so we don’t have to pay him off. Our owners just want a yes man , we need a top manager and allow him to manage but unfortunately it doesn’t look like that will happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seems like a lot of people want him because he is better than Ole . He isn’t a top manager though and we will be in the same position as we are in now only it will be an ex dipper manager that our owners will be giving another chance to so we don’t have to pay him off. Our owners just want a yes man , we need a top manager and allow him to manage but unfortunately it doesn’t look like that will happen.
I hear this line a lot but it doesn’t make sense. Van Gaal was a well known prickly bollox and Mourinho is the most famous “no man” in football. The one and only reason Ole was hired was because of the freakish run of results when he got the caretaker role.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Best thing for anybody to do if this happens, is look at it as a temporary thing. Because if he fails then the pressure will ratchet up and he will be gone, far quicker and easier than this current shit show we are witnessing.

Personally I would expect the club to be more forward thinking next time, however. Hire Rodgers, fine. But at least keep a critical eye on things and also watch the managerial market. If another Klopp/Pep comes along then they need to be able and willing to make the change.

Hiring Rodgers now would be about stabilizing, for me. Though we may actually have some success because I do rate him personally. If Poch and Ten Hag aren't that bothered about making the jump now then I'd write them off. They're both still in contract this summer, it'll be the same situation. Ten Hag will probably have many suitors though and might even have his next role lined up anyway.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Yeah, sadly there is quite a list better than Ole but still probably not good enough.

George Beast

Well I think we can all agree that if the poll was between the two managers, overwhelmingly most would take Rodgers and I suspect most people saying they'd take him are doing so on the presumption that it's a binary (albeit hypothetical) choice between the two.

AndyMUFC

I mean he's not exactly my first choice to be a United manager but he does play good football.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
When it comes to him being a prick (or whatever reason people have for not liking him) it seems very overrated. Think he is a decent guy and players/staff at clubs seem to think he is ok.

But his results as a manager is very overrated. And I must say, very few seem to watch much of Leicester. Attacking football? Possession football? High press? Really?!

Exactly, the two things don't correlate. I think this is a story floated out there by the United board to divide the fanbase and decrease the clamour for Ole to be sacked.
I think its real. I see the Manchester Evening News is now running a piece saying Rodgers matches Ed Woodward's philosophy.

Clearly people at the club want to push this narrative. Very much reminds me of the Pochettino links when Ole was under serious pressure last time. I think the Board has decided Rodgers is the guy if/when Ole needs to go.

Just don't get it. Could easily get an interim until the summer and then see which managers might be available either at the end of the season or after Qatar 2022. Why aren't we trying to suss out if Luis Enrique will stay with Spain after Qatar 2022? Why aren't we talking to Ten Hag about whether he might move in the summer? Pochettino might get fired from PSG before the end of his contract, why not revive contacts with him? There are plenty of other options besides Rodgers.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hear this line a lot but it doesn’t make sense. Van Gaal was a well known prickly bollox and Mourinho is the most famous “no man” in football. The one and only reason Ole was hired was because of the freakish run of results when he got the caretaker role.
I don't think that was the reason for hiring him, I agree that it was the freak results he got during that honeymoon period and the response of the fanbase of course. But extending his deal when he had plenty of time and still everything to prove I think speaks to that point, of him being a very insulating element for the board as they've found out. There cannot be a footballing reason for keeping on when it's clear he's not got it and the squad at his disposal is being wasted.

But more importantly, the real issue is who is in charge of the long-term vision and succession planning.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When it comes to him being a prick (or whatever reason people have for not liking him) it seems very overrated. Think he is a decent guy and players/staff at clubs seem to think he is ok.

But his results as a manager is very overrated. And I must say, very few seem to watch much of Leicester. Attacking football? Possession football? High press? Really?!
Attacking football? Yes. Really. Leicester have been in the top four for goals scored in each of the last two seasons. With a squad that costs a tiny fraction of the only three more prolific teams. When he was at Liverpool they scored over 100 goals. How many teams have managed that in PL history ? And how many goals does a team need to score to convince you their manager favours attacking football?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ah I'd say while it was the tipping point, there was a combination of factors.

SonyaCross493

I think its real. I see the Manchester Evening News is now running a piece saying Rodgers matches Ed Woodward's philosophy.

Clearly people at the club want to push this narrative. Very much reminds me of the Pochettino links when Ole was under serious pressure last time. I think the Board has decided Rodgers is the guy if/when Ole needs to go.

Just don't get it. Could easily get an interim until the summer and then see which managers might be available either at the end of the season or after Qatar 2022. Why aren't we trying to suss out if Luis Enrique will stay with Spain after Qatar 2022? Why aren't we talking to Ten Hag about whether he might move in the summer? Pochettino might get fired from PSG before the end of his contract, why not revive contacts with him? There are plenty of other options besides Rodgers.
We need a manager NOW! No more interims until the summer who if they do well like Fletcher will get the job just like Ole..

otherwise we risk losing Ronaldo in the summer.

Rodgers is the best to come in now and "steady the ship" and get fans excited again.

Zidane don't want the job plus is unproven in the Premier League, Ten Haag is unproven in the Premier League and risky due to the way Ajax is set up.

We need a manager NOW! No more interims until the summer who if they do well like Fletcher will get the job just like Ole..

otherwise we risk losing Ronaldo in the summer.

Rodgers is the best to come in now and "steady the ship" and get fans excited again.
You mean the lads on Redmen TV who will be pissing themselves for the banter? Cos I'm not excited, at all.

Again, Rodgers is not the best option. Ragnick is a better option. However, the club's powerbrokers aren't willing to be challenged by him. Just like they weren't willing to be challenged by Conte.

Zidane is a better option. Clearly we haven't made him an offer that's too tempting to refuse and we're not inclined to. God knows why.

If United offered Ajax and Ten Hag a truckload of money I'm sure they'd take it. Again, not done so.

Pretty sure Joachim Low is not a worse manager than Rodgers. Have we asked him if he fancies a temporary job? What about Jupp Heynckes?

There are actually lots of options besides Rodgers.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm being very unreasonable in my head when when it comes to discussing Rodgers and I can't believe I'm that much of an outlier on this topic. Which makes it potentially a very risky appointment. If things don't go well really quickly the place will be toxic in a heartbeat.

Ixion

I would honestly like to see how any tactically adept manager would use our current squad rather than seeing them out thought every single match so just for that I'd like to see Rogers rather than Ole till the end of the season.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He is David Moyes Mark II. It will end the same way.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Attacking football? Yes. Really. Leicester have been in the top four for goals scored in each of the last two seasons. With a squad that costs a tiny fraction of the only three more prolific teams. When he was at Liverpool they scored over 100 goals. How many teams have managed that in PL history ? And how many goals does a team need to score to convince you their manager favours attacking football?
68 goals scored. Five less than Man Utd. Same as Spurs. 6 goals more than West Ham. 1,78 goals per game. Is that enough to say that they played attacking football?

This year, West Ham has scored seven more goals than them. Is Moyes playing attacking football?

Rodgers been a manager in the PL for 257 games. More than six seasons. His second highest scoring season was 71 goals.

He has an average of 1,73 goals per game. Everybody keeps refering to 100 goals + in 2014. The summer after Suarez left Liverpool scored 52 goals in the PL after spending more than €150 mill (a huge amount back then). He insisted on signing players like Balotteli and Benteke (the next summer).

Context is important, and I think it is more than fair to say that «Rodgers» 100 goal + season was more about Suarez than Rodgers. During his last 46 PL-games in charge of Liverpool they scored 60 goals. 1,30 goals per game.

Last edited:

AneRu

But the teams that overtook them are United, Chelsea, Liverpool. The budgets, wages, resources etc are not comparable. Over the course of a season bigger, stronger squads make a difference. It's like if Moyes' West Ham fall away this season it doesn't mean he's bottled it.
Very reasonable observation, not everyone has the funds and pull to sign a Bruno Fernandes (certified 20 g + a) mid-season.

Ralph1386

Well the club don’t want a Conte or Zidane. If these are the options we’re left with, I would take Brendan over Ole any day of the week. At least he’ll have more to offer than “go out there and express yourself” or “shoot from outside the box”.

djembatheking

What is wrong with people ? Bring Rodgers with Schmeichel, Tielemens and Barnes. Leicester are 12th in the league with Rodgers and those players, United are 6th with Ole , Fred , McTominey and Maguire.

Ralph1386

What is wrong with people ? Bring Rodgers with Schmeichel, Tielemens and Barnes. Leicester are 12th in the league with Rodgers and those players, United are 6th with Ole , Fred , McTominey and Maguire.
What about Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, DeGea, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho? Is it ok to be 6th with them?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I cannot farthom why anyone would think Rodgers is the answer to United's problems.
Because people don't want to think at all. If they did they would realise the true horror of the situation. We are in Disneyland and we fans are the Princess in the Tower. And the only person coming through that window is Joel Glazer with a dirty great hard on for our cash.

djembatheking

What about Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani, Varane, Pogba, DeGea, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho? Is it ok to be 6th with them?
Of course not , but Rodgers is struggling behind Palace, Wolves, Everton and Spurs . Surely we should be aiming higher .

SonyaCross493

Give it a few more losses in the next few games when the players "down tools" for the 3 Stooges (Ole, Carrick and McKenna) and you'll all be begging for a bit of Brendan Rodgers Sunshine. Anyone But Ole! (ABO)

Honestly don't understand why people are bothered he managed Liverpool? So did Busby have a Liverpool connection.. it's not like he's a Liverpool Legend, they sacked him when he almost won them the league (before Klopp took over his foundations he built). There should be no loyalty there. Actually the opposite to prove the scousers wrong

there's a reason Manchester City want Rodgers as the Pep replacement in a few years. He's an elite manager who will whip Manchester United underachieving primadonnas into shape.. with having a manager with a tactical plan and idea on how to play football and organise a team.. it'll be like a breath of fresh air!

plus Brendan Rodgers whole family are Manchester United mad fans in Northern Ireland Georgie Best country.

Last edited:

ColvaleGoa

Winning the FA Cup is unquestionably an achievement.

However, it's also the sort of achievement that managers like Mikel Arteta, Roberto Martinez and Harry Redknapp have previously pulled off. And the sort of achievement that we've previously fired managers immediately after achieving. In other words not the sort of achievement that lends great weight to someone's claim to having earned a shot at managing Manchester United.
Just Curious, who is your manager to replace Ole now?

Status
Not open for further replies.