Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
If that ceiling is comprehensively outperforming expectations, as he has done with Swansea, Liverpool (before his best players were sold - Suarez in ‘14 and Sterling in ‘15 - and other prominent members of the attack were chronically injured - Sturridge) and currently at Leicester, then sign me up.

If that ceiling is establishing his team as the dominant one in the league playing fabulous football when he gets to work with the best players in the league, ala his time at Celtic (and something close to like he’d have at United), then, again, sign me up.

Throwing the ‘bottler’ tag at a manager who had a Liverpool team whose defence contained any variation of Mignolet, Glen Johnson, a 34-year-old Kolo Toure, Skrtel, Agger and John Flanagan within a whisker of a league title is deeply disingenuous. Similarly, using Leicester’s over-achievements these past two full seasons against clubs with multiples-more resources than them is also quite duplicitous. Leicester are probably a top 8-10 team on wage bill, transfer fees paid and squad profile overall yet there are posters here commenting with glee that they fell outside the top 4 on the final gameweek two seasons running. It’s unfair and weird in equal measure.

Rodgers may not bring the title back to Old Trafford but I’d hazard a confident guess that he’d get us much closer than Solskjaer ever has - and ever will - all the while playing modern, well-coached, progressive football. Everything else regarding Rodgers (his Liverpool connection, his ‘personality’ etc.) are moot points for me.
Superb post.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Didn’t Rodger’s sign Roberto Firminio? He was laughed at by many on here including me and he’s turned out to be a fine player.

United in sin

I love how people actually criticise him in terms of tactics. That man has more tactical nous than every cnut in this place put together.

Sure he’s an absolute fecking dog whom left his very sordid looking wife for a much, much more beautiful (and considerably younger) specimen. Sure he should absolutely go to horny jail and stop with the fecking tanning injections… … I forget the point I was trying to make about his character now.

He is bloody brilliant at this football malarkey though — I’ll not be told otherwise.

He is 3 full years younger than Ten Hag.. Also Ten Hag isn’t coming here.. he’s just not.. stop dreaming.

Objectively Rodgers is a very good coach whom always tries to play expansive football unlike some fecking ex legends of ours .
Brilliant! Had to laugh at the second paragraph

RUCK4444

Any chance he’ll bring some of Leicester’s better players with him?
It wouldn’t make them any cheaper which is the problem we have getting them, they would lose major face losing their manager and best players to us.

The likes of Ndidi, Tielemans and Fofana are top quality but will cost big money. I’d love Fofana, think he’s nailed on to be a top player.

lloyd2wayne

Didn’t Rodger’s sign Roberto Firminio? He was laughed at by many on here including me and he’s turned out to be a fine player.
More like Klopp did his magic on him same as Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Oxlade etc all this signings were laughed at and see how that turned up another Klopp.

lloyd2wayne

Yeah I kn
Robertson was a Klopp signing
Yeah I know so was Wijnaldum. My point is he made those players better whether he signed them or not.

The poster I quoted said Rodgers bought Firmino and we all laughed but he turned good and I just replied basically saying it’s the Klopp effect, some of his signings were laughed at too but see how most of them turned out.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This place would become utterly unbearable if he was appointed.

(More utterly unbearable than it's been this season, I mean).

justsomebloke

If that ceiling is comprehensively outperforming expectations, as he has done with Swansea, Liverpool (before his best players were sold - Suarez in ‘14 and Sterling in ‘15 - and other prominent members of the attack were chronically injured - Sturridge) and currently at Leicester, then sign me up.

If that ceiling is establishing his team as the dominant one in the league playing fabulous football when he gets to work with the best players in the league, ala his time at Celtic (and something close to like he’d have at United), then, again, sign me up.

Throwing the ‘bottler’ tag at a manager who had a Liverpool team whose defence contained any variation of Mignolet, Glen Johnson, a 34-year-old Kolo Toure, Skrtel, Agger and John Flanagan within a whisker of a league title is deeply disingenuous. Similarly, using Leicester’s over-achievements these past two full seasons against clubs with multiples-more resources than them is also quite duplicitous. Leicester are probably a top 8-10 team on wage bill, transfer fees paid and squad profile overall yet there are posters here commenting with glee that they fell outside the top 4 on the final gameweek two seasons running. It’s unfair and weird in equal measure.

Rodgers may not bring the title back to Old Trafford but I’d hazard a confident guess that he’d get us much closer than Solskjaer ever has - and ever will - all the while playing modern, well-coached, progressive football. Everything else regarding Rodgers (his Liverpool connection, his ‘personality’ etc.) are moot points for me.
I'm unable to feel enthusiastic about Rodgers, but I must admit that is a post with some major good points in it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

good post, however I feel some people are so against Rodgers, nothing will really change it. We have posters literally refusing to accept Rodgers has won anything, when his team are reigning FA Cup Champions.

Logic goes out the window, there has always been a sentiment against Rodgers for sections of the caf. I've always thought of him as a very good manager and if it's him, Poch or Ten Hag I'm a lot more excited for the team than I ever was.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No. Liverpool signed Roberto Firmino, which isn't the same thing. The Firmino signing was driven by the recruitment team Rodgers was in constant dispute with, with Rodgers reportedly against it.

That's why when Michael Edwards was asked who his favourite signing was he said he wouldn't say, but noted that his dog was named "Bobby". Meanwhile there was a notorious Rodgers-friendly piece following his sacking that (amidst accusing "laptop guru" Edwards of "doing a number" on Rodgers) asked how the supposed top level recruitment team could have payed 29m for Firmino, who spent a fair bit of time being used as a wide player in a 4-5-1 under Rodgers.

In fact according to Simon Hughes in the Independent, Rodgers only allowed the Firmino deal at a price:

Having been persuaded to sign Balotelli the previous summer, Rodgers dug his heels in twelve months later and effectively agreed with Michael Edwards that if the sporting director in waiting allowed him to sign Christian Benteke, he would not get in the way of Roberto Firmino’s recruitment.

mu4c_20le

good post, however I feel some people are so against Rodgers, nothing will really change it. We have posters literally refusing to accept Rodgers has won anything, when his team are reigning FA Cup Champions.
You may be right, so why keep banging that drum? At some point, it starts to feel like an ego thing.

mu4c_20le

Banging what drum? The case for Rodgers?
Yep. That post for example puts everything in his career in a positive spin. It doesn't mention his european pedigree at all, of which he has none. Do we really want to appoint another manager who's learning on the job?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'm unable to feel enthusiastic about Rodgers, but I must admit that is a post with some major good points in it.
Yes, apart from the fact that:

a) His team is obviously not well coached or modern in any sense.
b) It is highly debatable if has actually ever overachieved in the PL. (We know for a fact that he underachieved after 13/14 with Liverpool and appears to be doing it again.)

steve.crowford

Brendan Rodgers is house hunting in Cheshire according to Alan Nixon. Nixon is very reliable. Hopefully, the move gets sorted out soon. We can still achieve something this season if a new manager comes in.

Zaboot

Just don't let him have any say in players he wants to bring to the club and we will be fine.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep. That post for example puts everything in his career in a positive spin. It doesn't mention his european pedigree at all, of which he has none. Do we really want to appoint another manager who's learning on the job?
There was no "positive spin". When you talk about European pedigree it's worth noting his peers aren't exactly risk free either. You can make the case for Poch having more European pedigree, but bottling it more (CL Final or lack of silverware in general). You can argue Ten Hag has European pedigree but is completely and utterly unproven in a major domestic league.

Ultimately every manager on our shortlist will have some risks and frailties. But Rodgers gets written off even more, for a bizarre reason. If people don't like him because of the Liverpool connection then just say it - some have. But there are a few illogical posters ruling his credentials off and then endorsing managers of equal risk without reasonable basis.

Lukinho

Brendan Rodgers is house hunting in Cheshire according to Alan Nixon. Nixon is very reliable. Hopefully, the move gets sorted out soon. We can still achieve something this season if a new manager comes in.
This is what I think aswell. Yes Rodgers isn’t the best option but he is way better than Ole. No point giving up on this season in November

Deanor44

I cannot believe some of the anti Rodgers comments in this thread. With the logic of some of the comments on here utd should of dismissed hiring Sir Matt Busby because he played for Liverpool. Utd hire Ole on the basis he was a utd playing legend, hand him 200 million and we are no closer to a League title in any time since SAF called it a day but he was a playing legend so keep him in the job. If Gerard had not slipped against Chelsea, Rodgers would of won the EPL and because of this failure the team confidence was hugely dented and they were not in contention the following year due to poor form and Shitty, Utd & Chelsea spent another fortune on players making this harder. The most annoying part is that the widely held consensus is that Rodgers is seen as a better manager than Ole but he is not good enough for utd, but Ole is. Its best we stay rudderless with no identity, no gameplan and a team that play like they strangers than find someone who even begins the process of putting a side together with some degree of an identity, way of playing and a team. I personally see the Liverpool link as a negative but whats even more negative for me is the sate of this current utd side so if Rogers is hired I'm going to give him my backing and hope he starts the process of getting us competitive against the tops sides in the league and going for trophies. As things stand under Ole.. I have NO hope.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We were second the season before ole came and I don't see this team under ole finishing top4
I don't agree, but then the question becomes should our aim be to just finish in top 4 or win the damn thing. If its the latter, then do you sack Rodgers a season later when we finish in top 4?

Bertie 2 Hats

I cannot believe some of the anti Rodgers comments in this thread. With the logic of some of the comments on here utd should of dismissed hiring Sir Matt Busby because he played for Liverpool. Utd hire Ole on the basis he was a utd playing legend, hand him 200 million and we are no closer to a League title in any time since SAF called it a day but he was a playing legend so keep him in the job. If Gerard had not slipped against Chelsea, Rodgers would of won the EPL and because of this failure the team confidence was hugely dented and they were not in contention the following year due to poor form and Shitty, Utd & Chelsea spent another fortune on players making this harder. The most annoying part is that the widely held consensus is that Rodgers is seen as a better manager than Ole but he is not good enough for utd, but Ole is. Its best we stay rudderless with no identity, no gameplan and a team that play like they strangers than find someone who even begins the process of putting a side together with some degree of an identity, way of playing and a team. I personally see the Liverpool link as a negative but whats even more negative for me is the sate of this current utd side so if Rogers is hired I'm going to give him my backing and hope he starts the process of getting us competitive against the tops sides in the league and going for trophies. As things stand under Ole.. I have NO hope.
Tissue ?

whosenext

He also signed Coutinho did Rodgerss and at one point he was maybe top 3 players playing in Europe. Rodgers might just be a perfect fit for us.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Actually, he did not sign Firmino (same with Coutinho, I think?). Edwards did. Rodgers signed Benteke.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...berto-firmino-wrong-transfer-how-21733343.amp

«Rodgers was the driving force behind signing the likes of Fabio Borini, Joe Allen, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ings, James Milner and Christian Benteke, while the other members of the committee championed the suitability of players such as Daniel Sturridge, Philippe Coutinho, Sakho, Emre Can, Moreno, Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Lazar Markovic, Divock Origi and Roberto Firmino.»

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-transfer-10201451.amp

Last edited:

Nero

I couldn't care less about him being a former Liverpool manager.

He isn't a Liverpool fan. He isn't a scouser. He didn't leave any legacy. He has no pre or post managerial connection with them.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Bang on mate.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This reads like an extended cover version of that Leave Britney Alone video.

Funny.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why is he looking so out of it at Leicester right this season?

What's happened this season that didn't happen previously?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't agree, but then the question becomes should our aim be to just finish in top 4 or win the damn thing. If its the latter, then do you sack Rodgers a season later when we finish in top 4?
If it's going nowhere, why not? I don't understand why we're so obsessed with 5 year rebuild jobs when it never works.

If it's a top 4 with sexy football and injuries then carry on.

Judas

Open to offers
People need to get to grips with the fact finishing top 4 is all that really matters to the Glazers, it would take a real set of circumstances to see a manager sacked if they deliver that.

Acole9

Outstanding
I couldn't care less about him being a former Liverpool manager.

He isn't a Liverpool fan. He isn't a scouser. He didn't leave any legacy. He has no pre or post managerial connection with them.
He's probably a better manager now than he was then too.

Wing Attack Plan R

In any conceivable universe will Rodgers be as good as Guardiola or Klopp? I'd say no. We need to find a manager who has a reasonable shout of joining the greats one day, and that manager is not Rodgers. He'd get a better tune of out of squad than Ole is getting currently but I don't think it would be enough of a difference to justify signing Rodgers to a multi-year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.