Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
So, with Solskjaer’s reign now seemingly deep into the ‘unsalvageable’ stage, and many managers around Europe touted as possibilities to take over, what does the Caf think about the prospect of Brendan Rodgers becoming the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

I freely admit that I’m a huge fan of his and really warmed to him with how he has repaired his reputation in the game and, more importantly, enhanced his CV since his sacking by Liverpool back in 2015. His Swansea and Liverpool teams played beautiful, if naive, football (I genuinely believe peak Rodgers’ Liverpool were prettier on the eye than peak Klopp’s Liverpool, playing scintillating football seemingly every week, no matter the opposition) and his body of work at Celtic looks more impressive by the day considering the state of the Glasgow club since his departure.

His feats at Leicester need no introduction to followers of the Premier League, with superb league finishes considering their budget constraints compared to those teams around them, and he’s added silverware to boot, with terrific wins at Wembley against Tuchel’s Chelsea and Guardiola’s City in the past six months. Regular wins against the traditional ‘top 6’ in the past 2.5 seasons, all the while playing brilliantly-coached, progressive football, Rodgers has really put his name forward as a genuine consideration for any of the Premier League’s elite clubs should they need a new manager any time soon.

There are question marks, of course: his Liverpool connections; his so-so record in Europe; his personality not being to everyone’s liking (personal opinion and not football-related, that, for me); his ability to manage a dressing-room full of superstars.

So, do you think he’d be able to a) bring his style of high-pressing, high-intensity football to this United squad, and b) be successful doing it?

P.S. Can any of the mods at a poll to the thread title? Ta.

Last edited:

Flytan

I'd take anyone who is qualified enough to manage us outside of Benitez I think (just don't like him for whatever reason). If the club (even if I don't trust them to make the right decisions at all) feel he is the next manager then fine. I don't think managing at Liverpool should invalidate him, it's not like there was much bad blood with him personally. The only other person I really don't want to see hired is Southgate.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
No. Absolutely not. Fake teeth, fake tan, shit tactics, underachieved everywhere he has been. feck Brenton.

Big Sam over that fecking prick.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
No. Failed to get top 4 two seasons running, even though he was in the top 4 longer than any other team that season yet still failed to qualify. Regularly gets beat in europe. Hes not as good as everyone thinks.

MUFC9032

Yes, absolutely. I know people are hesitant - more because of the Leicester drop offs, than his Liverpool association.
But I think he has been punching above his weight with the Leicester squad AND he has shown the ability to tactically adapt between and within games.
Imo he should be our number 1 choice and maybe we can sign Tielemans too. :)

moxdevil

Not convinced by him at the highest level which is what we should be going after, I get the same feeling with him that I get with Pochettino: bottler.

kps88

God no. Leicester is his level. Just because we aren't happy with our current manager it doesn't mean we set the bar so low.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
No. Failed to get top 4 two seasons running, even though he was in the top 4 longer than any other team that season yet still failed to qualify. Regularly gets beat in europe. Hes not as good as everyone thinks.
He’s managing Leicester though! Not all failures to reach top four are comparable.

tomaldinho1

Not top of the list but he's clearly a solid manager. Is he right for us, probably not

Flexdegea

Hell no.

Was pointing out this during week, this is a guy who literally Gave up think maybe 14 points to Oles United, then lost the last match against Ole at home to finish 5rd in the league. Some folk said Leicester has lesser standards but it was a commanding position he was in all season. Same for last year too. Class FA cup win, but arteta won one of them too. Not a huge box ticker me.

I don't think he the man to fix our problems. Be more of the same.........plus he ex scum Manager too and talks serious waffle. Not the manager for me.

Judas

Open to offers
He’s a bit of a plum but he’s comfortably better than Ole. Still not sure how I’d feel about him actually getting the job though, he’s such a wolly.

AshRK

A big NO. Decent manager but don't think he is made for big clubs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Absolutely not. Ignore the small matter he managed Liverpool he's been a serial bottler in the PL

Well done with the FA Cup but it doesn't hide throwing away the title with Liverpool or two top 4 finishes with Leicester

Laurencio

I think the real question right now is who we can bring in that has a reputation the players won't question when things get tough. I don't think Rodgers has enough clout to convince world cup winners and CL veterans that he knows how to win things. Man Utd is a different beast entirely.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
“The problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying.”

“I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence.”

sideshowbob

Don’t think there’s any one available outside of Conte who’s proven at the top level so Rodgers is a good shout.

The Liverpool job came too early in his career for him, since then he’s gained a lot more experience, won some trophies, proven himself again in the PL.

Think he’s ready for a big job and will have a point to prove.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
He really doesn't fall into instant yes or instant no category. With him it would be wait and see.

Surely between him and Ole there is actually no match-up at all, but some other names should be looked at before.

Reactions: Invictus

Rex Banner

He's a good manager but he certainly wouldn't be my first choice. I think he's been around long enough now for everyone to know his limitations and I think the level he's been at over the last few years is probably as good as it gets.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's not good enough. Leicester aren't lucky to have him.

rabnub

Is this how bad things have got that we are considering a former Liverpool Manager? Hes a decent manager no doubt but his ties to pool surely rule him out and i think there are better options out there. Some tied up like him and some available.

Conte seems to be the front runner and he has experience and would demand respect from players...
Im leaning towards zidane as hes a far more pragmatic manager. He seemed to adjust his tactics based on his squad and resources . He walks into that dressing room given what hes done in football players are gonna sit up and take notice. But unfortunatley i dont think he has any interest.

Conte is a good short term option. Proven manager with his way of playing. We need a manager to move us forward from the work ole has done

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I like his football and don’t feel the same animosity as a lot of you but I don’t feel he is the one to challenge Klopp and pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.