• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

He's improved night and day since his Liverpool days where he nearly won the league.

Celtic under Rodgers were brilliant. The drop off since he left was staggering.

Leicester punch well above their weight. Quite a lot of Leicester fans on their forum Foxestalk seem to rate him as their best manager ever.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think the problem with Rodgers for most fans is its just an uninspiring appointment. He doesn't play some scintillating football, and he isn't going to press like the very top teams do.

When you are competing with Klopp, Pep and Tuchel, it feels like you need something that you are the best coach around at. Klopp sides press like crazy, Pep sides dominate possession like no other and Tuchel sides rarely concede.

I don't know what Rodgers sides stand out quality is, and don't think he'll ever be good enough to mix it at the very top.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Liverpool never threw away a lead anything as big as we did. It was nip and tuck between them and City all season. Being 3 points ahead with 3 games left felt like a big advantage but really wasn’t, in the grand scheme of things. The collapse against Palace was bad but was it any worse than us losing to Wigan and that awful 4-4 draw against Everton?

Or how about 97/98? We were 11 points clear with 9 games left to play. Or Newcastle’s meltdown under Keegan?

I think you’re confusing most spectacular with most enjoyable!
Hmmm, maybe. Fine, one of the most spectacular collapses in PL history.

Real Name

There's a myth Liverpool lost the title at Palace. The real collapse and the moment they lost the title was the Chelsea game. Against Palace they tried to better their goal difference to match City's, only for it to fail remarkably.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's improved night and day since his Liverpool days where he nearly won the league.

Celtic under Rodgers were brilliant. The drop off since he left was staggering.

Leicester punch well above their weight. Quite a lot of Leicester fans on their forum Foxestalk seem to rate him as their best manager ever.
You should have check their reaction when they bottled his top 4 in 19/20.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah, why would we want the hire a manager whose teams have recruited well? We should go for the manager who signs duds instead.
I dont think it matter much as they have recruited well for years, long before Rodgers arrived. In fact, most of the players in his team was recruited well before he arrived.

There is very little indication that Rodgers or any other manager should get the cred for the recruitment done at Leicester. It is down to their structure and scouting staff.

It feels like quite a few who want Rodgers have not actually given Leicester or Rodgers much attention.

Last edited:

Laurencio

Yeah, why would we want the hire a manager whose teams have recruited well? We should go for the manager who signs duds instead.
I think we are all forgetting about Joe, the Welsh Xavi, Allen. Rodgers basically declared him the next great midfield maestro and brought him to Liverpool where he failed dramatically.

Where is he now? Stoke.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just a few random sample quotes from the recent pages in the Brendan Rodgers thread on a Leicester forum. :angel:

Either the players aren't listening to him, or his coaching isn't working....Either way, it's getting to the stage now where it's pretty obvious that we're going to need a change.
When it gets to the stage that a fan/fans can see obvious errors, that a manager cannot, it's very worrying.

Some are saying it's as bad as Puel was, but for me, certain elements are far far worse.

Set Pieces for example, defensively, are getting worse, not better. Leeds again scored from one, and could have from at least 2 other corners.
Our ability to make simple passes and control the ball is quite frankly disgraceful. We're the worst side i've seen in this league over the last 12 months are giving the ball away needlessly and kicking it out of play.
Under Puel we were boring, but we could actually pass the ball better than a lower league side. It's the worst I've seen us with the ball at our feet since we've been back in the Premier League. This is not an exaggeration in the slightest, it is really truly that bad.

The other problem we have though, is that we're making too many excuses for Rodgers.
Missing Fofana and Justin are somehow the answer to all of our problems......

Why is Rodgers playing for a draw away at a side 17th in the league, who play a style which gives us the easiest game of the season, by playing 5 defenders and 4 midfielders? Fofana and Justin.....
Why was there no reaction or change from Rodgers, when Evans is playing the same pass 10-15 times to Vardy's feet which keeps losing us the ball? Fofana and Justin.....
Why is every 3rd pass we make going straight out of play? Fofana and Justin.....
Why can't we defend set pieces? Fofana and Justin.....
Yesterday has become par for the course for this side. Side to side, not really any cutting edge, absolutely shit scared of opposition set pieces, rely on individual brilliance rather than collective quality... we've become a mid table team (which is fine!), and yesterday was a mid table performance!
I look at the squad and think we have performed to par since Rodgers was appointed, nothing more nothing less. If you had put the whole team up for sale during the last transfer window, there's very few players who wouldn't have secured transfers to top 6 sides.

I'm not suggesting that he's done a bad job or that he should be sacked this very moment, but conversely I don't agree with the sentiment that he's somehow worked a miracle with this squad to get us finishing 5th twice and winning the FA Cup. For me whilst it was amazing that we won the cup, taking an objective viewpoint given the squad, it was always a possibility that we'd be in with a realistic shout of winning the competition especially given the nature of tournament football where form goes out of the window and with a bit of luck along the way anything is possible.

What frustrates me slightly is when people suggest that he's solely the reason for the developmental progress of this squad. The majority of these player's were signed for their potential knowing that with game time/experience they'd kick on. You could argue that he's given said players the games needed to amass the necessary experience which if that is the case and it wasn't purely down to the fact that he had no other choice then that is commendable. However, how much praise Rodgers takes for this teams progress is debatable. One could also argue that these players have simply followed their natural development curve and the trajectory that they've followed would have likely have been realised regardless of who was managing them.

For all Brendan's genius in coaching his team to play possession football which at times can be exhilarating I think he has far too many flaws to be an elite manager. That's not to say he won't get a gig at a big club (I'm certain he will) but I do think he'll be found wanting when the time comes.
I'm a diehard Rodgers fan boy but sometimes his in game changes leave me needing to down a few shots of vodka to try and get my head around. Switching to 3 at the back and 4 central midfielders against a tiring team who were very open at the back? He made a similar change last season against Leeds at home and went on to lose the game. The changes against Spurs on the last day of the season still give me nightmares.
I like BR but it looks things are stale. We are so boring and negative, with a highly talented group of players. I'm not sure he will last a 4th season here with the way things are going.
Under Rodgers, our attack has functioned pretty well, there is little evidence that we can't score goals. However our defence has got progressively worse. 41 goals to 50 to what is looking like nearer to 60 this season. This just has to be addressed and quickly. Is it the coaching or the players or just too many injuries. If we want to improve as a team we must solve this problem.
Our defence has got worse but weird as it may sound I think it's due to a regression in the way we attack.
I thought this too until I realised the fact we concede from every set piece proves it's poor coaching.

If you can't coach a side how to defend set pieces, where you have a huge element of control, you stand no chance in open play where defending is far harder due to unpredictability.
The problem is its most definitely got worse in the last year. Set pieces aside our easy nature of teams creating more goalscoring opportunities back end of last season and this season compared to when we were achieving under Rodgers, is I presume because we aren't defending and pressing as a team. Our lack of movement throughout the team is poor. Defend from the front, win the ball higher up which leads to more scoring opportunities (we are one of the best teams at forcing turnovers and create chances in the oppositions final 3rd) and in the process ease the pressure off the defenders the other end.
He does make it difficult to believe in his methods at times though. The recurring themes of slow starts, ugly, slow, laborious possession football, appalling set pieces (both for and against) and some of the drivel he spouts after matches can be pushed to one side whilst results are good, but they become an itch that needs scratching when those results tail off, hence some of the harsher opinions from supporters.
I personally am not calling for him to be sacked because if one thing, I'm a realist and don't see anyone better out there available to replace him mid season. Also, yes, January time will tell us quite a bit more. I would be absolutely surprised and bewildered if our squad of talented players can't pick up a few wins before then with or without Rodgers.

However, long term, if he doesn't alter/adjust his apparent obsession with the overly cautious possession before everything football with our current squad of players, then I don't see him being successful or popular. This would be a shame because aside of that he's got some great attributes. He also needs to take a look at his coaching staff. I certainly wouldn't want to see a summer where he and possibly Congerton had much say in recruitment because I would suggest our record has been far better than there's. Neither would I want to see recruitment for the servicing of Rodgers footballing philosophy as time has moved on. If he can't make a good fist of it with this current crop of players and play round pegs in round holes, I would suggest he's nowhere near as talented as the media love in promotes him to be.
Nail on head.

And i’m not sure many are calling for him to be sacked, I think we appreciate and are thankful for our achievements, however, am I frustrated and sick to death of keep ball with no purpose, am I asking for him to be flexible, change things based on how games are going or teams were coming up against, absolutely.

People need to realised your can be appreciative, grateful and thankful but also allowed to voice opinions over a period of time without being called entitled.

At this moment based on the last calendar year, and the 2nd half season of his first full season would I be sad to see him go when it inevitably happens, not particularly, would I be worried about who we replace him with, yes (which is why I was asking the questions I asked the other day regarding the similar opinions of the Puel in/out argument of which no one seemed to answer), mainly because it seems to be a direction within the club to play this way and it’ll probably be more of the same, the sooner there is a change within football the better.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
So among all Fergie's success he blew a few leads and that's comparable to Rodgers at Liverpool?

That's literally saying Rodgers' best Premier League achievement is in the mix with Fergie's worst. Which is about the only comparison that should be made.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really dont get the hype over Poch.
Have to say, neither do I.
OK he did a good job at Spurs, but I do think he was just fortunate that Kane, Alli & Eriksson all came along at the same time.
Personally, I've always been a bit underwhelmed by Poch.

I do actually like Brendan Rodgers, I thought he built a very good team at Liverpool, playing decent football, and within 3 games at Leicester, he had clearly stamped his own identity onto that team and they were playing in the way that he wanted them to.
A stark contrast to Solskjaer, three years in..!!

I think Rodgers would do a good job here, especially if he could poach a few Leicester stars such as Ndidi, Fofana & Tielemans.
He would certainly make us a proper team, even if not elite level, I think we would be genuine challengers.

Quite frankly I couldn't give a monkey's about the Liverpool connection. Sir Matt had one of those too, not to mention a City connection.
Honestly, if Klopp had a falling out at Liverpool and announced he wanted to leave, would you really not want him at United in place of Solskjaer???

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Have to say, neither do I.
OK he did a good job at Spurs, but I do think he was just fortunate that Kane, Alli & Eriksson all came along at the same time.
Personally, I've always been a bit underwhelmed by Poch.

I do actually like Brendan Rodgers, I thought he built a very good team at Liverpool, playing decent football, and within 3 games at Leicester, he had clearly stamped his own identity onto that team and they were playing in the way that he wanted them to.
A stark contrast to Solskjaer, three years in..!!

I think Rodgers would do a good job here, especially if he could poach a few Leicester stars such as Ndidi, Fofana & Tielemans.
He would certainly make us a proper team, even if not elite level, I think we would be genuine challengers.

Quite frankly I couldn't give a monkey's about the Liverpool connection. Sir Matt had one of those too, not to mention a City connection.
Honestly, if Klopp had a falling out at Liverpool and announced he wanted to leave, would you really not want him at United in place of Solskjaer???

The Liverpool connection is a factor. So is his personality and also the lack of success. So yes I'd take Klopp but not Rodgers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So among all Fergie's success he blew a few leads and that's comparable to Rodgers at Liverpool?

That's literally saying Rodgers' best Premier League achievement is in the mix with Fergie's worst. Which is about the only comparison that should be made.
Well, no. I was just being pedantic about the notion that failing to win the league when 3 points clear with 3 games left to play is “the most spectacular collapse in PL history”. It barely even justifies the label “collapse”. I’d be more inclined to give credit to a team/manager for running the title winners close than use that as a stick to beat them with. Especially when you look back at Liverpool’s record before they hired him.

Why would second place in a very tight title race be comparable to Fergie’s worst league campaigns anyway? The 100+ goals his team scored would make it more comparable with some of our most enjoyable league campaigns ever under Fergie.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I look at the squad and think we have performed to par since Rodgers was appointed, nothing more nothing less. If you had put the whole team up for sale during the last transfer window, there's very few players who wouldn't have secured transfers to top 6 sides.

That's a comment from their forum above and I really dispute it. Players like Schmeichel, Evans, Castagne, Barnes and Ihenacho would absolutely not get into another Top 6 team.

Edit - Not Moses

yamo123x

Im guessing the poll being against this move is partly due to his Liverpool links.
He werent a cnut there though, like Benitez, Souness and others.

I think he would be the best fit out there, has prem experience, respectable guy, good coach and his teams play good football...

My preference is Ten Haag, but wouldnt be too upset with Rogers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

That's a comment from their forum above and I really dispute it. Players like Schmeichel, Evans, Castagne, Barnes and Ihenacho would absolutely not get into another Top 6 team.

Edit - Not Moses
Not to mention that the manager should be getting a lot of credit when players signed for not very much look good enough to join top clubs. Getting players to punch above their weight is one of things we’ve been missing most since Fergie retired.

MUFC9032

I get the argument that he bottled the league, and there is some truth to that, but look at the squad he had for the league season:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Liverpool_F.C._season#First_team

Their achievements are far greater than the sum of their parts.Just look at their defence and midfield - pretty average on the whole. I'd say the same for Leicester - as much as they drop off at the end of the season, again their squad does a whole more than the sum of their parts. So I personally think he deserves a chance with a more complete squad.

Side note: There was a game last year where he switched formation at HT and went on to win...Maddison was talking about it in the post game interview. It was nice to hear about a manager that sounded like he knew what he was doing...

Dan_F

How come?
I kind of understand the Celtic part but I wouldnt discount it completely, its a weak league but its still a success what he did.
I dont see anything Poch did in the league as anything special. He was 3rd in a 2 team battle for the league and even then there wasnt any battle to begin with.
I just think getting Spurs in that title race and to a CL final with a very limited budget is more impressive than bottling the top four twice with Leicester, bottling the league with Liverpool and winning an FA Cup. I don’t place much stock in a one off trophy as a reason to hire a manager.

Poch seems to develop youth far better and have a much better connection with fans of clubs he’s been at. Both of these things are important to a lot of United fans. Plus a chance to bring back the Argentina chants is always fun. Obviously I’m (half) joking with that ;)

AndyMUFC86

Do a quick google and there are enough stories out there that Rodgers is on a very short list of candidates to replace Guardiola at the end of 2022-2023 season when he leaves city.

I'm not the biggest fan of rodgers, but if the journos are correct and city do really rate him highly then they are seeing something that the average fan on here isnt.

I dont think hes the long term answer for Utd, I have no idea who is, but it ain't Ole that's for sure. If Rodgers was not British would be be rated more highly? Do we hold foreign coaches in higher regard than british coaches?
This is something that I think a lot of fans in this country do. There’s some kind of stigma that British coaches aren’t on the level of foreign coaches which I don’t agree with on the whole. Personally I think Rodgers has overachieved at every club he’s been at while playing great football. That’s why he’s linked to most jobs at the top of the PL

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not to mention that the manager should be getting a lot of credit when players signed for not very much look good enough to join top clubs. Getting players to punch above their weight is one of things we’ve been missing most since Fergie retired.
That's very true. We seem to do the opposite with great regularity. Under various managers, worryingly.

Frank Grimes

Leicester fans have short memories. Night and day between Puel and Rodgers. That's not to say that Rodgers is above criticism but I think some of it is them getting above their station if I'm honest.

Red_Heisenberg

I think we are all forgetting about Joe, the Welsh Xavi, Allen. Rodgers basically declared him the next great midfield maestro and brought him to Liverpool where he failed dramatically.

Where is he now? Stoke.
And Alex Ferguson said Phil Jones could be our greatest ever signing and compared him to Duncan Edwards. Where is he now? On the injury table and probably one of the biggest laughing stocks we’ve ever had play for us.

There is a huge list of players who managers say can become something, who never actually do. It doesn’t make them bad managers.

Whilst Rodgers may not be the most inspiring of appointments, he would do a decent job for us. I’d have him down as 2nd or 3rd choice of what’s potentially going to be available.

johanovic

I´ve completely lost any faith in OGS so I would probably settle for Forrest Gump or Ted Lasso....by looking at Rodgers managerial career compaired to OGS it´s a no brainer...He´s managed Watford, Reading,Swansea, Dippers, Celtic and Leicester and doing so by playing good football and winning..My personal favourite is Erik ten Hag but Rodgers is miles better than OGS

Real Name

I just think getting Spurs in that title race and to a CL final with a very limited budget is more impressive than bottling the top four twice with Leicester, bottling the league with Liverpool and winning an FA Cup. I don’t place much stock in a one off trophy as a reason to hire a manager.

Poch seems to develop youth far better and have a much better connection with fans of clubs he’s been at. Both of these things are important to a lot of United fans. Plus a chance to bring back the Argentina chants is always fun. Obviously I’m (half) joking with that ;)
When were Spurs in a title race? I grant you CL final but it was one of.
Trophy should be one of the reasons and Poch has won zilch.
Also what youth has he developed?
Not sure about the connection with the fans part either.

Ixion

He isn't my ideal choice but I do not want to limp on with Ole for another 6 months so it seems like Rogers is the best candidate that is potentially available right now. I would rather someone else but I do want to see how another manager uses this squad and I don't want to see it wasted for the remainder of the season before we get to see what its capable of.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I´ve completely lost any faith in OGS so I would probably settle for Forrest Gump or Ted Lasso....by looking at Rodgers managerial career compaired to OGS it´s a no brainer...He´s managed Watford, Reading,Swansea, Dippers, Celtic and Leicester and doing so by playing good football and winning..My personal favourite is Erik ten Hag but Rodgers is miles better than OGS
I’d agree with this. Brendan usually gets his teams to punch above their weight which is something we are sorely lacking.

Skills

Snitch
feck Brendan Rodgers yo
If we had a clear structure with prominent DOF in place I'd be bothered less about Rodgers.
Liverpool did and he was a prick to work with according to the likes of Edwards. Their transfers improved dramatically once he fecked off.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Not only is he a massive choker and despite playing nice football, managed to not get good results needed. More importantly he is a former Liverpool manager, which should exclude him straight away

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Things are that bad that we want to replace Ole with a snake like Rodgers?!

Those that are saying he did a great job with Celtic…had more money than the rest of the league …over saw a disaster in Europe…qualified once for the CL in his 3 years and suffered Celtics heaviest ever defeat at Barca during that campaign…ran away to hand Rangers the initiative in the league.

Such an over rated manager and he’d run as soon as someone offered him more money to go somewhere else, I'm hoping he turns us down of he’s waiting on the City gig. Think the fans would be on his back as soon as he loses. Bredanout

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That’s very worrying
I’m sure we could find a similar collection of quotes from scousers whinging about Klopp last season.

Feck it, this website has literally thousands of posts tearing strips off Sir Alex Ferguson’s team selections, substitutions and general tactical acumen. Basically, don’t read much into football fans moaning online.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The Liverpool connection is a factor. So is his personality and also the lack of success. So yes I'd take Klopp but not Rodgers.
That seems a bit Vicky Pollard...Yeah, but No, but Yeah, No.
Success..?
Depends how you measure it.
He built a very good team at Swansea, winning the POs, and a very good team at Liverpool, that came within a whisker of winning the PL.
OK, its only Celtic, but he'd have won a triple treble if he'd seen out the remainder of that season, and his Leicester team are no mugs, have won an FA Cup.
All of his teams have played decent attacking football too....

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You’re determined to completely remove any credit the manager deserves for a) signing and b) developing players. Which is not an argument I can take seriously tbh.
No. I’m determined to not give credit to Rodgers for the signing of players who were already at the club when he arrived.

I also think it is fair to question his role in signing players at Leicester considering their history of signing great young players the past decade. In my opinion, failing to ask that question is quite naive.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m sure we could find a similar collection of quotes from scousers whinging about Klopp last season.

Feck it, this website has literally thousands of posts tearing strips off Sir Alex Ferguson’s team selections, substitutions and general tactical acumen. Basically, don’t read much into football fans moaning online.
Or you can read that as quotes from Chelsea fan on Jose when ManUtd were linked, or quotes from ManUtd fans when Jose was linked with Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.