• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

youmeletsfly

I agree that he’s good at developing young players, at Ajax. Whether he’d do it as freely at United with the fans expectations on his back is another matter. I genuinely don’t know how he’d fare. He might turn out to be a raving transfer muppet with more money at his disposal.

I agree re some of the squad; mata, Bailly, Dalot, one of the 2 main keepers, Martial and Pogba would have been sold/released in the summer if it were down to me. I haven’t included Jones as he wasn’t fit.
I like Ten Haag a lot but it should also be considered that he's developing players at Ajax, that's their business model based on the best football school on the planet.

However, I can't deny his teams play brilliant football and he always finds a way of getting new players in(be them transfers or youngster) and making them fit like a glove.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My post was slightly tongue in cheek. Now that I've resigned myself that Arteta isn't working, this guy is probably at the top of my wishlist for replacements, certainly wouldn't want him to replace Ole from an Arsenal perspective. ;)

Im half way through reading the thread, & thinking that even the negatives people are talking about (a slight lack of personality, could he deal with the pressure at a mammoth club, could he handle top personalities & would the ego players respond to him), wouldn't be as much of an issue at Arsenal.

Im dreaming mind you, as our board probably won't sack Arteta.
Even if you don't get ten Hag, there's still other good options you can target potentially like Adi Hutter, Christian Streich, Graham Potter, Ralf Hassenhuttl etc.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep he’s the one that i want ahead of Conte, zidane etc who will want to rip everything up and start again.
if we could get VDS to replace woody at the same time that would be dandy
Zidane has never ripped apart his Madrid's team. I think one of his best attribute is to make do with whatever he has on plate. He introduced Casemiro (was a reserve player before) to balance so Modric and Kroos could work together. He made Ronaldo and Bale could work. And he make do with squad players like Asensio, Vazquez, Nacho, etc. I still prefer Ten Hag, but Zidane is next in line, for me.

Last edited:

johanovic

Ajax were brilliant against Dortmund yesterday and played the second team in the Bundesliga off the park...everytime you see Ajax play it´s clear what their style and tactics are instead of United looking like headless chickens most of the time...Ten Haag is already a way better manager than OGS ever will be and he would be ideal for United. But I doubt that we will ever see him at Old Trafford...I like OGS as a person and a player but it´s just clear to anyone willing to see that he is out of his depth as United manager despite being a legend and a nice bloke. One of the most staggering transformations at a club could be seen when Tuchel took over from Lampard...it´s time to let OGS go...he´s just not good enough

Idxomer

While he's good at developing young players, he has no problems buying older players and fitting them into his system. Haller who barely looked like a championship player in the PL is now the lead scorer in the CL, every striker we have at the club right now is miles better than him.

He also has no problem with individual players if people are afraid he won't like Rashford, Greenwood, or Bruno. The likes of Tadic, Antony, Neres, and Ziyech before them are basically worse versions of the talents we have in attack. He might need a couple of midfielders but that would be applicable for any manager out there.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Our board: Who the feck is this tan hog? Aint go no United DNA. Feck 'em.
He fits the so called United DNA perfectly, but they are too thick to see it. Entertaining winning football, brings youth through and they are taught great technical football. What isn't there to like. However it would take more rebuilding as not sure some of the players would fit his style, think some are too lazy. What would be good is we would know exactly what he is trying to build and what style of play he wants. In a way am now doubting if he would come here, too many egos. He wants players who want to work hard for the team, we have too many individuals at the moment. It would take some weeding out of the ones who are not willing to change.

hungrywing

Amazing job again with the squad he has. I wouldn't have much hope in his previous stars at their new clubs in Barca, Juve and United beating Ajax this year. They're earning more money but that's about it. Makes me feel sorry for Ajax again and that some other super league is needed or maybe perhaps joining some of the leagues up on the continent.
Cue Ten Hag staying there for ten years and winning them a few CLs. (which would be brilliant)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You seem fun.
You seem like a kid who plays FIFA (unless he loses and throws the controller) ... but what's that got to do with anything?

Instead of trotting out "PE teacher" and acting like a sheep, why not try posting WHY you'd like a new manager? You know.. like adults do.

Just from this thread, you can choose selection, favourites, formation, tactics, improving our youth, use of DvdB, coaching, subs, coaching staff and loads more (some of them I've criticised Ole for).

Just because you don't rate him, he's still our clubs manager and unlike say.. Jose, he has the club's interests above his own. By all means criticise (this isn't RAWK) but "PE teacher" just suggests a lack of knowledge/vocabulary.

Flexdegea

It has everything to do with your response to my original post.
It doesn't, you where basically bigging up Rodgers giving up that points total to Ole and then on last day a total collapse, and spinning it as a achievement coming 5th.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Don't care how many Leicester fans you know, not one of them after that match been happy thinking we have over achieved having snowballed a dominant position. No doubt the FA Cup a big win.

But strange sort of point to hammer Ole to big up Rodgers like he be a suitable replacement for him. Be a pointless appointment. Rodgers at best will offer what Ole team have offered in the league.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Total Voetbal is a thing of the 70s to be honest. The way Ajax play now is more based on build up play from the back which is heavily influenced by quick fluid passing, 1 v 1 isolations in wide areas. This is something we could easily do and have the players to do it
I wouldn't say easily. Guys like Pasveer, Blind, Martinez, Timber, Mazraoui are so much better building out from the back and beating the press than De Gea, AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw. That's honestly where the biggest problems would lie for ETH.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You seem like a kid who plays FIFA (unless he loses and throws the controller) ... but what's that got to do with anything?

Instead of trotting out "PE teacher" and acting like a sheep, why not try posting WHY you'd like a new manager? You know.. like adults do.

Just from this thread, you can choose selection, favourites, formation, tactics, improving our youth, use of DvdB, coaching, subs, coaching staff and loads more (some of them I've criticised Ole for).

Just because you don't rate him, he's still our clubs manager and unlike say.. Jose, he has the club's interests above his own. By all means criticise (this isn't RAWK) but "PE teacher" just suggests a lack of knowledge/vocabulary.
Why do you say he has the club's interest above his own?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Spot on. I think we’re past the PE teacher stage. It’s a childish narrative

MichaelRed

Jose, when he was literally trying to get sacked in the season that got him sacked was doing better than Ole is this season. That's terrifying tbh.

MrBest

It doesn't, you where basically bigging up Rodgers giving up that points total to Ole and then on last day a total collapse, and spinning it as a achievement coming 5th.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Don't care how many Leicester fans you know, not one of them after that match been happy thinking we have over achieved having snowballed a dominant position. No doubt the FA Cup a big win.

But strange sort of point to hammer Ole to big up Rodgers like he be a suitable replacement for him. Be a pointless appointment. Rodgers at best will offer what Ole team have offered in the league.
It does, i think you just pick and argue for no reason.

And as i said, i dont want Rogers to be our next manager. My opinion still stands for me, i couldn't care less if you disagree. Thank you and goodbye.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Even if you don't get ten Hag, there's still other good options you can target potentially like Adi Hutter, Christian Streich, Graham Potter, Ralf Hassenhuttl etc.
Yeah, I suppose that's the advantage when the bar is so low in terms of current position & current manager, there's many that should be an improvement. :D

Just think Ten Haag sounds ideal for us, ticking the same boxes that have been mentioned in this thread for Utd, but perhaps without the hang ups, as we're not at the same level of pressure & expectation as you guys currently are. We're at a low point, but with a young squad looking for an identity & style of play, whereas Utd have an older squad with a lot more egos looking to just take that next step into serious challengers to get the best out of the likes of Varane, Pogba & Ronaldo in the next year or 2. That's why Zidane might be the better choice if he was available, if you are just talking about making the most of this group of players.

We'd struggle to attract Ten Haag given he's already knocked back Spurs, but perhaps bringing his friend and an ally in Overmars to replace Edu, could just make it a project that might interest him?

Pronewbie

Peep
I take this poll more as an Ole Out one rather than the Caf specifically wanting Eric in.
He‘s a riskier punt IMO than Tuchel who’d proven way more prior to his move to Chelsea and gained invaluable experience during his time at PSG.
That said, like some have mentioned, we mostly have the players to play the kind of football he wants to, so it would be an interesting appointment if he’s up for the move mid-season. Hopefully he‘s not as rigid as Van Gaal.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, I suppose that's the advantage when the bar is so low in terms of current position & current manager, there's many that should be an improvement. :D

Just think Ten Haag sounds ideal for us, ticking the same boxes that have been mentioned in this thread for Utd, but perhaps without the hang ups, as we're not at the same level of pressure & expectation as you guys currently are. We're at a low point, but with a young squad looking for an identity & style of play, whereas Utd have an older squad with a lot more egos looking to just take that next step into serious challengers to get the best out of the likes of Varane, Pogba & Ronaldo in the next year or 2. That's why Zidane might be the better choice if he was available, if you are just talking about making the most of this group of players.

We'd struggle to attract Ten Haag given he's already knocked back Spurs, but perhaps bringing his friend and an ally in Overmars to replace Edu, could just make it a project that might interest him?
I think bringing in Overmars would definitely help because they're reported to be good friends. Overmars has also employed him during his stints as DoF at other clubs in years gone by.

hungrywing

He fits the so called United DNA perfectly, but they are too thick to see it. Entertaining winning football, brings youth through and they are taught great technical football. What isn't there to like. However it would take more rebuilding as not sure some of the players would fit his style, think some are too lazy. What would be good is we would know exactly what he is trying to build and what style of play he wants. In a way am now doubting if he would come here, too many egos. He wants players who want to work hard for the team, we have too many individuals at the moment. It would take some weeding out of the ones who are not willing to change.
The club could do worse than to have some sort of 'fans educating the board' (of course packaged more palatably for the utter dumbasses - sorry; when it comes to very very unintelligent people in charge of mega-hugely influential institutions, then I feel an exception can be sort of excused 'relative simpletons' on said board) type event.

MichaelRed

I take this poll more as an Ole Out one rather than the Caf specifically wanting Eric in.
He‘s a riskier punt IMO than Tuchel who’d proven way more prior to his move to Chelsea and gained invaluable experience during his time at PSG.
That said, like some have mentioned, we mostly have the players to play the kind of football he wants to, so it would be an interesting appointment if he’s up for the move mid-season. Hopefully he‘s not as rigid as Van Gaal.
He's not remotely rigid like LvG & is far more direct in his approach.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think bringing in Overmars would definitely help because they're reported to be good friends. Overmars has also employed him during his stints as DoF at other clubs in years gone by.
Just makes too much sense. We were an Ajax type team under much of Wenger's reign, in terms of the football we played, the reliance on young players, the market we shopped in, we just never found a way to properly evolve it in the modern era.

Ten Haag & Overmars although not vastly experienced in their roles outside of Ajax, still would have a lot more experience than the 2 guys they would be replacing. Overmars still keeps in touch with some ex Arsenal team mates & jokes that he needs to come over & sort things out.

Unfortunately, because it makes so much sense, that means it's something we are unlikely to do.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, I realise this is about Utd hiring Ten Haag, not Arsenal.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like Ten Haag a lot but it should also be considered that he's developing players at Ajax, that's their business model based on the best football school on the planet.

However, I can't deny his teams play brilliant football and he always finds a way of getting new players in(be them transfers or youngster) and making them fit like a glove.
Ten Hag is developing players at a club which hadn't competed in Europes premier competition for over two decades until he arrived. And he's done that whilst developing youngsters and it's been a strength which has enabled them (Ajax) to punch above their weight and hence save them a lot of money. They can't compete financially against the wealthiest clubs hence have to let go of their players for a certain price. But let's not assume that what we're seeing under ten Hag has been the norm for Ajax in the last few decades in Europe. It's not normal for Ajax to develop youth and also compete with the best in the Champions League until ten Hag arrived.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just makes too much sense. We were an Ajax type team under much of Wenger's reign, in terms of the football we played, the reliance on young players, the market we shopped in, we just never found a way to properly evolve it in the modern era.

Ten Haag & Overmars although not vastly experienced in their roles outside of Ajax, still would have a lot more experience than the 2 guys they would be replacing. Overmars still keeps in touch with some ex Arsenal team mates & jokes that he needs to come over & sort things out.

Unfortunately, because it makes so much sense, that means it's something we are unlikely to do.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, I realise this is about Utd hiring Ten Haag, not Arsenal.
I completely understand where you're coming from. I think he'd be a exciting acquisition for you or us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Light years ahead of our intern but unfortunately doesn't have the United DNA so he clearly isn't the man for the job.
feck the DNA. Klopp didn't have Liverpool DNA as well. It's not about that. The problem is, the kind of football Ajax plays, is not the football our current players are able to play. And I am not sure you can coach them into it, any time soon. You would have to sell most of them and buy new ones. Which we have neither money nor time for

Flexdegea

It does, i think you just pick and argue for no reason.

And as i said, i dont want Rogers to be our next manager. My opinion still stands for me, i couldn't care less if you disagree. Thank you and goodbye.
Sorry, i didn't mean to come across argumentive, I just seen your comment and replied to it

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The man is ready for step up I think. He has the system and also flexibility to do well in any top club especially in here. I see similarity in his current Ajax squad to our current squad.

Bocca9978

Watched the whole Ajax match last night, really impressive.
My vote is staying as yes. Not that fans get a say.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
So we already play a 4231 with wide players & Ten Hag plays a 4231 with wide players & also plays a 433 but our players would be more suited to Conte who plays a back 3 with no wingers? This makes the opposite of sense.
WTF is this. We are not paying chess, we are playing football. The problem is what players are expected to do, and are capable to do, not their theoretical shape. In Ten Hag's approach, Ajax plays high-pressing game with quick transitions between attacking and defending roles, where most players are from their academy and have been drilled FOR YEARS on their positions and expectations. It's their second nature and muscle memory to know where each one of them should be and what they should be doing in any situation.

Compare that to United team where they rely on moments, making shit up as game goes, random long balls and most of our attacking players are absolute crap in defensive stage of the play.

To get even more specific - Maguire and Lindelof are WAY TOO SLOW to be the dynamic CBs that Ten Hag needs for his style. They would need to go. Ronaldo wouldn't work for Ten Hag, either. I can go on and on.

MichaelRed

WTF is this. We are not paying chess, we are playing football. The problem is what players are expected to do, and are capable to do, not their theoretical shape. In Ten Hag's approach, Ajax plays high-pressing game with quick transitions between attacking and defending roles, where most players are from their academy and have been drilled FOR YEARS on their positions and expectations. It's their second nature and muscle memory to know where each one of them should be and what they should be doing in any situation.

Compare that to United team where they rely on moments, making shit up as game goes, random long balls and most of our attacking players are absolute crap in defensive stage of the play.

To get even more specific - Maguire and Lindelof are WAY TOO SLOW to be the dynamic CBs that Ten Hag needs for his style. They would need to go. Ronaldo wouldn't work for Ten Hag, either. I can go on and on.
You can go on & on but you're talking bollocks so you'd probably be better off not going on & on.

MonkeysMagic

Does anyone seriously believe that our incompetent owners would see a good manager/coach if he slapped them on the face?

Ole serves their ideology perfectly; compete for top 4 trophy every year, don't make too much noise about competing with petrodollar clubs, tow the party line. There is no desire for Utd to be seriel winners, its the CL money pot and commercial exposure of the competition that interests them only. Nowhere else would you see such a big club continue to employ a manager so hopelessly out of his depth.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
feck the DNA. Klopp didn't have Liverpool DNA as well. It's not about that. The problem is, the kind of football Ajax plays, is not the football our current players are able to play. And I am not sure you can coach them into it, any time soon. You would have to sell most of them and buy new ones. Which we have neither money nor time for
This is very wrong actually. Every single successful team in the world plays pretty much the same attacking, fluid football with high pressing. There are of course obvious differences in whether someone attacks with five or six players etc but general principles are pretty much the same. Even Conte prefers pressing hard, which our team can't do.

So what would be the best? Stick with types of managers and players known not to work in hope something miraculous happens?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
There’s a bit of circular logic to the argument that our squad would be unable to adapt to his (or any other progressive manager’s) approach. We feel this way because under Solskjaer and Mourinho, they weren’t coached in such a way. Under Solskjaer especially there doesn’t appear to be much tactical discipline offensively, so we tend to project his approach on to the individuals who comprise our offense.

However I suspect that the rampant individualism which characterizes players such as Bruno and Rashford is, at this stage, holding them (and us) back, and a more well-defined attacking approach might be exactly what they need to develop further. Both are obviously extremely talented, but I think they could really benefit from a more hands-on and disciplined regime in order to iron out the frustrating elements that remain in their game.

arthurka

The difference is, and we’ve spoken around this before; that’s a way of life at a team like Ajax where their ethos is to develop early and sell the valuable ones. They have to take those gambles on young players.

At United the pressure is more intense. The ethos is not develop and sell. It’s win games. It’s keep the fans quiet. No way would fans accept an 18 year old over a shiny new cb especially if he starts making mistakes
You think so?
I think Utd fans in general are very patient with young players and like that in Utd´s history and philosophy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There’s a bit of circular logic to the argument that our squad would be unable to adapt to his (or any other progressive manager’s) approach. We feel this way because under Solskjaer and Mourinho, they weren’t coached in such a way. Under Solskjaer especially there doesn’t appear to be much tactical discipline offensively, so we tend to project his approach on to the individuals who comprise our offense.

However I suspect that the rampant individualism which characterizes players such as Bruno and Rashford is, at this stage, holding them (and us) back, and a more well-defined attacking approach might be exactly what they need to develop further. Both are obviously extremely talented, but I think they could really benefit from a more hands-on and disciplined regime in order to iron out the frustrating elements that remain in their game.
Top post!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The difference is, and we’ve spoken around this before; that’s a way of life at a team like Ajax where their ethos is to develop early and sell the valuable ones. They have to take those gambles on young players.

At United the pressure is more intense. The ethos is not develop and sell. It’s win games. It’s keep the fans quiet. No way would fans accept an 18 year old over a shiny new cb especially if he starts making mistakes
I don't know about that pressure. At Ajax, the expectation is that they win the league, play great football, and play youth. Every match and every season. Fail on any of that and the fans will start grumbling. (See De Boer: winning ugly is not appreciated at Ajax.) Ajax acknowledge their place in the international pecking order so they accept that they have to sell players, but it's not what they want. And as someone else pointed out, they changed their business model a few years ago so they could increase wages and hold on to players longer. So they're not just having fun, it's intensely competitive.

But of course, the Dutch league is more forgiving for players so youth stand more chance. On the other hand, those same youth are also expected to manage in the CL, where Ajax also want to be competitive (up to a point, they're realistic about it), so again, it's not all just a bit of fun without pressure or consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.