• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Heisenberg

So then we are fine with Ole till the end of the season - considering Ten Hag won’t dip out of this season considering Ajax form in the CL unless they crash out sooner than later, but will we lose top 4 with ole at the wheel? If glazers want a interim who would we go with to steer us over the line?
Laurent blanc would be a decent interim manager.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There are a few players obviously that he would probably look to improve on - but no coach is going to come into a perfect team. Pep had to move out some of the older players and what not when he came into City too. He has a very good base of players he can build around though. Players like Mason, Marcus, Jadon, Shaw, Bruno and Varane would all look great under him imo. You then have the group below that could maybe flourish under him - Pogba, Maguire, Shaw and Fred (who I think in the right system could be invaluable with his high energy style). He would most likely phase in younger players too - the likes of Laird, Hannibal etc. Players like Lingard, MCT etc. who may not be starters in the squad, would be good squad players.

He would probably bring in a GK, but assuming the recruitment is adequate, I don't see him needing more than one or two windows to have a team he can really start working with, the base is already there.

Ronaldo is an obvious question, but given his age and style - I don't think many managers would be able to fit him in without having to sacrifice something, I don't see us extending his contract anyway though. The media and ex players will give him more than enough time to get things right - Ole is over 3 years into the job and it's only now people have really started putting the pressure on him and that's because his performance has really given them no option. If 3 years in, we still aren't seeing improvements to the required level, we'd probably all be on board with the fact that he hasn't achieved expectations anyway.

He's also dealt with difficult personalities before - Ziyech was reportedly quite a difficult character but he did quite well under Ten Hag.

The only question mark I'd have is his handling of media - but honestly if he's performing, I don't think anyone will give a shite. This fan base and board has illustrated by now that they will support managers to the fecking end, even when they're not performing well enough, let alone a manager who is doing well.
He bought two from Utrecht (Labyad and Klaiber - both rotational pieces), and one from Bayern II at Utrecht (Streider). As far as making due or needing signings, I think apart from a true defensive Matic-like DM, really doesn't need too much more.

If he would raid anyone from Ajax, it would probably be Onana, Gravenberch (squad player) and/or Antony (sheer talent alone), although given our depth in attack and GK positions, probably wouldn't prioritize either of them. I would also say Alvarez but I don't think he's good enough for this level. He could also make do with AWB unless he suddenly stops progressing at all in his attacking play (although could still probably upgrade him).

He does like to give freedom of inverting (I remember Ziyech exploiting this to great advantage moving through RW, LW, ST, and CAM in the same game on a multitude of occasions), and while he does rely on FBs to give width, much of the crosses into the box are done by the wide men, who also have the freedom to cut inside. Think Sancho would be devastating here, just because of his ability to both come inside and act as a wide playmaker, my one concern being that he's more of the Mata mold and less so as a true winger. As far as Pogba goes, if he continues his lack of work rate at the double pivot, he wont work in his system, would ultimately be replaced, by Donnie if ETH deems fit, or someone else. In my mind, Cavani would be a much better fit into his system just overall with his non-scoring contributions, but I think Ronnie would have a field day with all the crosses into the box against the low block. So with all that said, big game lineup would be

Cavani
Sancho/Rashford-Bruno-Greenwood
Donnie/PP-Matic clone
Shaw-Maguire/Varane/Lindelof/Bailly (take 2)-AWB
DDG

Low block game

Ronnie
Rashford-Bruno/Sancho-Greenwood
Bruno/PP-McTom/Donnie
DDG

As for the bolded part of your post, this is just strictly opinion, but I do think the level of critique Ajax get by simply being the biggest team in Holland and thus the expectation of needing to win every week and needing to the win league every year; plus the additional expectations of attacking football and incorporating the youth while doing so, and being able to achieving those expectations pretty damn well, would be enough proof of his mental fortitude.

The one thing that stuck with me, I dont know if it did for anyone else, but it was his willingness to take off Alvarez and bring on a more attack minded CM in Klaasen at HT. Loved the fact that he was going for it, even though BVB had 10 men, now THAT is United DNA.
Thanks for replies. I've only watched Ajax/his teams a handful of times in Europe since De Jong left, and that was usually because of the opponent ('scouting' Dortmund's talent progression, for example), so I'm arriving to this party late in solely scoping him and his team out rather than the opposition or the whole game.

I very much like what I saw yesterday and the clever way they work inside to out and don't make the obvious action, but drag men where they want them to be before then doing the next thing in the chain, what's more impressive is watching the men off the ball in those build-ups going into the next place for optimal progression, again and again, like a carousel. Also how they spring the moment the ball is lost from those same positions. It's a challenge to deal with and I can only see how much more problematic that would become with better players doing the same thing.

I like the attitude of his teams and the certainty of purpose they have - it's no longer 'little underdog Ajax' as it had been for a long time before De Jong and co burst onto the scene.

I want us to become an attacking and progressive team with a clear plan and assured way of playing that the team buys into and executes to the best of their ability. It'd be a start, and at least appease by the fact we would feel like we're actually collectively working towards something.

As I said in my previous post, if he can handle the off-field stuff, I don't see what the objection would be to appointing him (if he would go for us rather than others who'll covet him).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's the clear stand out manager of the moment.

For me he's doing what Klopp did at Dortmund. Watching how their team plays football - lets not forget they've got Davy Klaassen in midfield ffs!

The things he could do with our squad :drool: unfortunately though the united way dictates we have to skip midfield and chuck it to a forward.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ten Hag in the below video (at 3:27) says himself and Steve McLaren visited Fergie and had Coffee with him, when Fergie was manager at United.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I really think this guy would make us contenders, if we followed a solid recruitment model and stopped letting imbeciles like Woodward and Company run the club like its a hotel.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He's the clear stand out manager of the moment.

For me he's doing what Klopp did at Dortmund. Watching how their team plays football - lets not forget they've got Davy Klaassen in midfield ffs!

The things he could do with our squad :drool: unfortunately though the united way dictates we have to skip midfield and chuck it to a forward.
Same. Lets just cross our fingers and hope our fecking board is proactive for once and gets this guy signed up, regardless of how long Ole survives this season.

I've been fiercly backing Ole for a long time, and had really high hopes coming into this season, but its abundantly clear now he does not have what it takes to take us to the next level.

goptun

100% this. ETH will go to one of our rivals, for sure. Rodgers would be an upgrade on Ole, but I really thing Ten Hag is the one we need
He'll go to City and dominate there. We'll be left with Rodgers :rolleyes:
Why do people do this? It's pointless self-indulgent pessimism that adds literally nothing. I can appreciate the board isn't the most proactive at times, but their biggest failing has been too slow to fire managers that have proven they aren't up to task. Our previous appointments all made sense at the time, however. Regardless, Ten Hag isn't joining us midway through the season so there's no point getting flustered right now. By all accounts we're starting to get some of the behind the scenes appointments in order, so someone like Ten Hag surely isn't out of the question. We're fast running out of options anyway!

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He bought two from Utrecht (Labyad and Klaiber - both rotational pieces), and one from Bayern II at Utrecht (Streider). As far as making due or needing signings, I think apart from a true defensive Matic-like DM, really doesn't need too much more.

If he would raid anyone from Ajax, it would probably be Onana, Gravenberch (squad player) and/or Antony (sheer talent alone), although given our depth in attack and GK positions, probably wouldn't prioritize either of them. I would also say Alvarez but I don't think he's good enough for this level. He could also make do with AWB unless he suddenly stops progressing at all in his attacking play (although could still probably upgrade him).

He does like to give freedom of inverting (I remember Ziyech exploiting this to great advantage moving through RW, LW, ST, and CAM in the same game on a multitude of occasions), and while he does rely on FBs to give width, much of the crosses into the box are done by the wide men, who also have the freedom to cut inside. Think Sancho would be devastating here, just because of his ability to both come inside and act as a wide playmaker, my one concern being that he's more of the Mata mold and less so as a true winger. As far as Pogba goes, if he continues his lack of work rate at the double pivot, he wont work in his system, would ultimately be replaced, by Donnie if ETH deems fit, or someone else. In my mind, Cavani would be a much better fit into his system just overall with his non-scoring contributions, but I think Ronnie would have a field day with all the crosses into the box against the low block. So with all that said, big game lineup would be

Cavani
Sancho/Rashford-Bruno-Greenwood
Donnie/PP-Matic clone
DDG

Low block game

Ronnie
Rashford-Bruno/Sancho-Greenwood
Bruno/PP-McTom/Donnie
DDG

As for the bolded part of your post, this is just strictly opinion, but I do think the level of critique Ajax get by simply being the biggest team in Holland and thus the expectation of needing to win every week and needing to the win league every year; plus the additional expectations of attacking football and incorporating the youth while doing so, and being able to achieving those expectations pretty damn well, would be enough proof of his mental fortitude.

The one thing that stuck with me, I dont know if it did for anyone else, but it was his willingness to take off Alvarez and bring on a more attack minded CM in Klaasen at HT. Loved the fact that he was going for it, even though BVB had 10 men, now THAT is United DNA.
Good analysis, i only think that Bruno would go the Ziyech way. So he'll be removed from the 10 position and will go to the wing and the midfield would be changed up to a 3 man midfield. Not a bad thing though, because like you said, he gives a lot of freedom to his wingers. Ziyech was playing as a winger, but roamed almost every where. But that only works when there was a wingback behind him.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Erik Ten Hag is the ideal replacement of Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. The lucky part for the rest of the clubs is that Pep would leave in June 2023 eventually. So basically Ten Hag could be tempted by another club in the coming summer. I always thought that he is nailed on to be the next coach of Bayern Munchen but Nagelsmann just started there and i believe he will be there for the next 3-4 years. Barcelona is another club that potentially suits Ten Hag but i believe that Xavi Hernandez would be the coach for them in the next few years. I dont see Ten Hag in Italy, although coaching AC Milan would be an interesting challange. So there is a big chance Ten Hag to be the next United manager but as always there are a lot of obstacles that to happen.

Spoony

The People's President
Are we actually interested in Ten Hag or is it a fan wish?

Fan wish.
Erik Ten Hag is the ideal replacement of Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. The lucky part for the rest of the clubs is that Pep would leave in June 2023 eventually. So basically Ten Hag could be tempted by another club in the coming summer. I always thought that he is nailed on to be the next coach of Bayern Munchen but Nagelsmann just started there and i believe he will be there for the next 3-4 years. Barcelona is another club that potentially suits Ten Hag but i believe that Xavi Hernandez would be the coach for them in the next few years. I dont see Ten Hag in Italy, although coaching AC Milan would be an interesting challange. So there is a big chance Ten Hag to be the next United manager but as always there are a lot of obstacles that to happen.

Give us VDS and Overmars too.

Thanks.

Kaos

The frustrating thing is you know if City, Pool or Bayern were looking for managers now they would have swooped in and got it done.

Meanwhile our pathetic board are obsessed with the insane insistence of trying to replicate the Fergie years by putting their weight behind a United legend (Ole) who happens to be a very poor coach, or a British manager (Brendon), meaning we'll be doomed to underwhelm for years to come.

I really wish the CO92 and old guard bugger off instead of dragging the club down with their nepotism and cringey obsession with "The United Way".

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The frustrating thing is you know if City, Pool or Bayern were looking for managers now they would have swooped in and got it done.

Meanwhile our pathetic board are obsessed with the insane insistence of trying to replicate the Fergie years by putting their weight behind a United legend (Ole) who happens to be a very poor coach, or a British manager (Brendon), meaning we'll be doomed to underwhelm for years to come.

I really wish the CO92 and old guard bugger off instead of dragging the club down with their nepotism and cringey obsession with "The United Way".
Which of these clubs last signed an employed manager mid season?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't think Rodgers is a bad choice, I think he will be a marked improvement. But I think Ten Hag is clearly on the path to greatness, and this is a golden opportunity for the club culture to shift.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He sounds and acts like Pep on steroids.
Pretty hilarious. He sounds like if the village idiot was bitten by a radioactive Pep-spider.

The German football term "positiv bekloppt" (something like 'upbeat gaga') comes to mind.

Dr. StrangeHate

What has he done to suggest he could manage a big club like United?

Although Rogers would be an even worse choice imo.
Ajax are a big club too but you are right he can easily choke here. Ole isn't working and there is no Klopp or Pep out there. We have to take a risk on a guy who has the potential to reach that level. Nagelsmann and Ten Hag are the obvious choices in that category. Rose was also but Ten Hag has shown he is superior.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
No clue why that short video of Ten Hag is posted in here opposed to some of his more serious press conferences in English.

His speaking/accent/English is a complete non-issue and some posters seem hell-bent on making it an actual thing, which is very weird.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Why do people do this? It's pointless self-indulgent pessimism that adds literally nothing. I can appreciate the board isn't the most proactive at times, but their biggest failing has been too slow to fire managers that have proven they aren't up to task. Our previous appointments all made sense at the time, however. Regardless, Ten Hag isn't joining us midway through the season so there's no point getting flustered right now. By all accounts we're starting to get some of the behind the scenes appointments in order, so someone like Ten Hag surely isn't out of the question. We're fast running out of options anyway!
I’m just offering my opinion

Loon

:lol:
No clue why that short video of Ten Hag is posted in here opposed to some of his more serious press conferences in English.

His speaking/accent/English is a complete non-issue and some posters seem hell-bent on making it an actual thing, which is very weird.
I couldn't give a shit if he sounded like Ashley Peacock as long as he could do the job. I mean, has anybody actually heard Jurgen twitchfeind Klopp?

Kaos

Which of these clubs last signed an employed manager mid season?
I didn't mean sign him mid-season, but rather prepare for a summer arrival - the same way City had everything in place for Pep to join them in the summer of 2016. Wish we were doing the same for Ten Hag now. I'd imagine Bayern were also in early contact with Nagelsmann to ensure a smooth transition too.

Kaos

It is a complete non issue, and weird thing to nitpick on. We currently have a manager who waffles a whole load of vacuous nonsense in press conferences, and the favourite to succeed him is essentially the Northern Irish David Brent. So not entirely sure why we think ETH not being a professor of the English language is suddenly an issue.

jamesjimmybyrondean

People keep asking if he can adapt to the pressure of our club. That worry is a bit irrelevant when we've reached the point where we'd ask that question to every other manager that's attainable from now or at the end of the season

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I didn't mean sign him mid-season, but rather prepare for a summer arrival - the same way City had everything in place for Pep to join them in the summer of 2016. Wish we were doing the same for Ten Hag now. I'd imagine Bayern were also in early contact with Nagelsmann to ensure a smooth transition too.
Yeah that makes sense for me, although City was largely criticised for handling Pellegrini's situation, weren't they?

PoTMS

Barring Donny who hasn't been really given a fair crack of the whip, have we had as much footballing success with a (non-UK) nation as we have with the Netherlands?

Flytan

Yeah that makes sense for me, although City was largely criticised for handling Pellegrini's situation, weren't they?
I think that was more because Pelligrini had done a decent job and deserved to be treated better. It was always gonna happen there though, they'd been preparing for pep for years.

Kaos

I mean from what I understood, City were quite transparent with Pellegrini in letting him know Pep was coming. You could argue it wasn't ideal for the team knowing they were playing for an outgoing manager, but they did make it to the semi finals of the CL that season and went out due to an own goal, so you could argue it didn't really have too much of an impact.

I wouldn't compare Pellegrini to Ole anyway - the former is a distinguished coach who had brought City some success, so you could rightly argue he was mistreated. Ole however is a complete disaster that should have been let go a while ago, so binning him would be overdue rather than harsh.

Laurencio

Based on yesterday's game he's LVG on attack steroids. Same base style of football, coupled with Guardiolas possession obsession and German machine football mentality. Not a bad combination at all all be fair.

I was impressed with how players basically hit passes blind and knew where their teammates were. Fluid football with a clear shape, they were also brilliantly organised throughout The few mistakes they made was clearly down to individual errors or lack of technical ability, which is frankly the opposite of our situation. Would be very interesting to see him managing a team of top talent, I wonder just how good that team would be...

Status
Not open for further replies.