Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'd take any decent high press manager. But that would not bring instant results. It would be the start of a very painful restructure. Which is why I think it most likely won't happen.

Absolutely certain Ronaldo and DdG would struggle in that kind of team. Strongly suspect Pogba would too. So that's a lot of salary on the bench right there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Last season:

This season:

He worked with slow CBs in the past (De Ligt and Blind). So that means he has no problem with Maguire’s pace as his CB.
Gravenberch is pretty much Pogba. Klassen is pretty much Donny. Bruno is miles better than Berghuis. Ronaldo or Cavani can play in Haller’s role. Our wide players are better than Tadic and Antony. Overall, he has similar players as what we have right now but we have much better quality. The board should be looking for this guy if we are going to replace Ole. We need manager who can work with the current squad’s quality and Ten Hag has the potential.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Lack of personality/charisma could be a huge issue at Man Utd. Solskjaer got away with it due to his ties to Man Utd and goodwill from supporters and media. Not sure Ten Hag would. Maybe it would help that he would be replacing OGS.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Lack of personality/charisma could be a huge issue at Man Utd. Solskjaer got away with it due to his ties to Man Utd and goodwill from supporters and media. Not sure Ten Hag would. Maybe it would help that he would be replacing OGS.
Football is actually fecked up if it's about charisma more than the football itself. Would you want charismatic surgeon to do your surgery or the one who is better in it, regardless of charisma.

This club has gone badly sideways if it's about charisma more than the football.

If Pogba, Ronaldo, De Gea etc can't be a part of modern pressing team, then how exactly is it good for United to keep them, instead of hiring the manager who is going to clear them out? If they are guarantee of United not making transition to a modern side, than wouldn't it hinder club more to carry them and look for non-existent manager to make them work and be successful, or actually find one that can be successful without them?

The other part of post is not directed towards you andersj.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Football is actually fecked up if it's about charisma more than the football itself. Would you want charismatic surgeon to do your surgery or the one who is better in it, regardless of charisma.

This club has gone badly sideways if it's about charisma more than the football.

If Pogba, Ronaldo, De Gea etc can't be a part of modern pressing team, then how exactly is it good for United to keep them, instead of hiring the manager who is going to clear them out? If they are guarantee of United not making transition to a modern side, than wouldn't it hinder club more to carry them and look for non-existent manager to make them work and be successful, or actually find one that can be successful without them?

The other part of post is not directed towards you andersj.
I don't think you can look at charisma independent to quality. Being the manager of a top club is a leadership position where you need a lot of people to follow you and your ideas. To stay in your picture I would want to be operated by a surgeon that is great with the scalpel as well as creating confidence in his whole team of assistants and makes his team as a whole work great.

It is no coincidence that most of the top coaches of present and past days are also memorable characters in their way. Not saying everyone has to be a madman all the time, but having this inner fire that sometimes breaks through the surface is something every manager needs. I don't know enough to judge how ten Haag behaves with his players to be fair, might be well different to his interviews.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I'm not really sure you can succeed in Ajax without being both eloquent and charismatic. He is not leading amateur side, he is leading one of the world's biggest clubs. United is top ten in the world, but Ajax certainly is top 30, possibly even higher.

It's not like he is coming from Molde, and even with Ole, it's not about charisma.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I suspect with a lot of managers charisma is a quality people project onto them once they're successful, when in reality a lot of them are actually annoying football nerds.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The notion that you should stick to your DNA or go 'back to your roots' is completely irrational and plain dumb.

Football changes and therefore, any 'DNA' or 'philosophy' will be outdated eventually. We need somebody that can re-invent or disrupt ourselves.
Yep SAF changed the way we played and evolved many times. The United dna is bollocks its about winning trophys

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I suspect with a lot of managers charisma is a quality people project onto them once they're successful, when in reality a lot of them are actually annoying football nerds.
Exactly my point, you just worded it much better.

EtH

————Ronaldo
Sancho-Bruno-Mason
———Fred——DvB

I imagine Ten Hag would have us playing unrecognizable stuff even without signing a player. What would we look like if Bruno cut out the Hollywood balls and the midfield simply kept the ball ticking along rather than being overrun ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Better start making preparation to get him asap before Arsenal steal him.

Banat

Would be a dream signing, but there is zero chance we appoint Ten Hag after Ole. Our board of cowards will look for some proven and long established name, there is no way they will take a risk.
We will be in similar situation after Moyes sack, and we will go for some Mourinho type.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Our board is full of clowns, they have a proven record of failure. With SAF they didn't have to do shit for decades except on the commercial side.

sparx99

Would be a dream signing, but there is zero chance we appoint Ten Hag after Ole. Our board of cowards will look for some proven and long established name, there is no way they will take a risk.
We will be in similar situation after Moyes sack, and we will go for some Mourinho type.
The frustration is that often times those ‘big names’ are available for a reason. LVG and Mourinho were both free agents. Sudan’s and Conte would both be free agents.

Often times the risk is going for the same old same old rather than the fresh face.

Womp

idiot
Nah, the EL fiasco was a bad end to the season, but last year we showed an upward trajectory and 2nd place was not bad so all in all it was sensible to keep him on.

No one could have predicted this season would be such a shitshow, and they would look even more incompetent if they did not act
A few of us did predict it though. Our football since he has come in has been largely underwhelming and inconsistent as a result of how unsustainable it was. It was a terrible decision to extend his contract imo. Had we not, he would have been on his last year, we could have phased him out this season whilst planning for the new manager. All the while, he could have been lauded for doing a good job at stabling the ship etc. rather than the expectation he can't meet of challenging

I also don't buy this nonsense that players wouldn't be comfortable coming to a club if the manager's position is unpredictable. He is a manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world - his position should always be in question. Also, it's hardly as if Ole is Pep, with all due respect to him.

Mercurial

Ajax's players aren't too different from ours, they're just better coached and drilled. I'd really only want Mazraoui from their side.

Haller
Tadic Klaassen Berghuis
Gravenberch Alvarez
Blind Martinez Timber Mazraoui
Pasveer

The biggest obstacles would be:

Haller - Ronnie (for the pressing)
Blind - Shaw
Klaassen - Bruno
Pasveer - De Gea (Ajax keepers are better with their feet)

Not worried at all about those players. Ten Hag has shown he's quite flexible and we have a large squad as is. He's also not allergic to playing youngsters.

If Gravenberch and Klaassen can be coached to play a certain way, so can Pogba and VDB.

Every managerial appointment results in an overhaul to some extent. It's the consequence of us lacking a clear identity.

Given that we have some great wingers I'd rather have him over Conte and seeing two out of Rashford/Sancho/Greenwood on the bench.
Thanks for the update, might be a good match for us.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
A few of us did predict it though. Our football since he has come in has been largely underwhelming and inconsistent as a result of how unsustainable it was. It was a terrible decision to extend his contract imo. Had we not, he would have been on his last year, we could have phased him out this season whilst planning for the new manager. All the while, he could have been lauded for doing a good job at stabling the ship etc. rather than the expectation he can't meet of challenging

I also don't buy this nonsense that players wouldn't be comfortable coming to a club if the manager's position is unpredictable. He is a manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world - his position should always be in question. Also, it's hardly as if Ole is Pep, with all due respect to him.
Hes always had his nay-sayers, but imo, this season could have gone either way (or at least i hoped it could) but the way we've looked so far this season has had me lose all hope in him and its going to take several miracles to ever regain it

I really hope though, that when Ole leaves, so does Phelan, Carrick and McKenna. As far as i know, they are employed by the club and not Ole and Carrick for example stayed on after Jose was sacked. Ole, by his own admission, does little of the day-to-day coaching, and based on what we see on the pitch, these three are hardly doing a stellar job either

Sviken

Ole, by his own admission, does little of the day-to-day coaching, and based on what we see on the pitch, these three are hardly doing a stellar job either
What's his job then? Smile in press conferences?

Danish Wizard

He has proven himself in the Champions League
He has won trophies with Ajax
He can develop young players
He has a clear style of play
He has delivered results and development with smaller teams like Utrecht

Should be a no-brainer to hire this guy, with a quality staff around him. But our incompetent board will not do the most logical decision ever.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If Solskjaer does get the boot, I'd prefer Potter.
I think this would be another moyes disaster, when people like that jump to a massive club it doesn’t normally turn out to well.

I think this would be another moyes disaster, when people like that jump to a massive club it doesn’t normally turn out to well.
He’s clearly much more attack minded who’s team play a modern brand of exciting football though.
But yeah, the worry would be that the player’s wouldn’t buy into it. I have no doubt the manager of Ajax wouldn’t have the same issues.

Strelok

"Total football, 433, lots of possession, very dominant. High pressure, very aggressive and very good to watch."

Sounds pretty fecking good to me.
Imo unless he has the balls to drop Ronaldo it'll never work. But if he drops Ronaldo he'll have huge issues with the media and Ronaldo's fans. Especially when he has one or two bad results.

Tbh I don't think it's a good move for him to come here atm. He needs to win something bigger than the Eredivise to have the required prestige. It's never easy to manage people let alone managing the so called megastars with huge egos, lot of money, worldwide fame and fanbase.

Suv666

No point bringing in an unproven manager. The United job is massive would be a huge gamble bringing in someone who hasn't handled that sort of pressure. We need a veteran. Someone like Zidane or Conte.

MrBest

If Ole was to go, our next manager would be Giggs (if down to board) Yes he is a perv, but he is a club legend. That should keep the crowd singing Giggsy at wheel for a few years.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Would be a huge but exciting gamble. Ajax is a bit of a unique club, I'm not sure how easily he'd find it implementing the same football at Utd.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No point bringing in an unproven manager. The United job is massive would be a huge gamble bringing in someone who hasn't handled that sort of pressure. We need a veteran. Someone like Zidane or Conte.
Because signing veteran, proven managers has worked so well for us..?

MrBest

Agree, i like Potter, immense potential, but a huge risk which we cannot afford to do at this stage. Potter is a Everton or Spurs away from a top job. I would consider him at Newcastle.

Nicolarra90

The h
The hard part in here is that actually the two best managers in the world (and maybe the third better now, tuchel) are actually in the PL and they've been here for more than 5 years, and I think they are better than the rest by a large margin.

So actually, no manager outside of England has been competing against the best in a league format.
CL is another story, even pep gets weird playing it.

So any manager is inexperienced competing against the best.

Can Conte go toe to toe with them? Maybe... for a year or 2 and then leave us with a bigger mess than he found.
Zidane hardest competition has been Simeone who is a bit meh... and a long list of mediocre coaches in Barcelona carried by Messi.
Everyone else is basically unproven, because the media attention we get is only comparable to Real Madrid, and maybe Barcelona (actually Messi, nobody cares much about Barca now).

With this I'm not saying Ole is the man or our best choice, but it's not as easy as Ole out-----> Profit.

tl dr. sadly i think doesn't matter who we bring we will hardly win a league until Pep and Klopp feck off, unless football gives a big shift and lefts them behind in tactics, like happened to mourinho. Finishing 2nd to 4th is the same we've been doing.

MrBest

It's extremely long, actually. The likes of Rodgers walked into Leicester and spent less, going all the way in a head to head in his debut season where they almost pipped us to 3rd place. Tuchel walked in and made an immediate impact. Conte walked in and made a quicker impact. Klopp had an identifiable style of play and clear progress in attacking football from the first full season onwards.

Our manager has had 3 years to embed his own system and his own ideas and has fallen ridiculously flat. He should have been sacked twice by now, let alone entertain ideas of him not having that long.
So true, people became too attached to Ole because they thought he would be the next Fergie so they kept saying, give the man time. Well almost 3 years later, even Breden Rogers has achieved more, 2 cups and elevated Leicester to two 5th positions which exceeds there norm. He also plays good attacking football. Ole, brought the culture back, but the football is as bad as it has always been since Fergie.

Andersonson

Cannot trust a manager who plays Haller upfront.
The Dutch league is worse than it ever was. If you look the players gone from the dutch league to top clubs nobody has really done well. Beek, Malen etc all have been underwhelming and they all have gone for huge sums.

Skeptical

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Our board is full of clowns, they have a proven record of failure. With SAF they didn't have to do shit for decades except on the commercial side.
That's the point. We keep the shitty managers too long just to appoint another poor one

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
And my favourite formation 433
With our luck he'll end up going to City.

Imo unless he has the balls to drop Ronaldo it'll never work. But if he drops Ronaldo he'll have huge issues with the media and Ronaldo's fans. Especially when he has one or two bad results.

Tbh I don't think it's a good move for him to come here atm. He needs to win something bigger than the Eredivise to have the required prestige. It's never easy to manage people let alone managing the so called megastars with huge egos, lot of money, worldwide fame and fanbase.
Ronaldo is the ultimate professional and is near the end of his career. A good manager should be able to use him and drop him if needed. Ole and Moyes had won nothing before getting the United job while Mourinho and Van Gaal had won plenty. We have nothing to lose, we haven't won anything in ages and are approaching a decade being below standards. Might as well take a chance on a progressive young manager who most of the footballing world rate.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Ronaldo is the ultimate professional and is near the end of his career. A good manager should be able to use him and drop him if needed. Ole and Moyes had won nothing before getting the United job while Mourinho and Van Gaal had won plenty. We have nothing to lose, we haven't won anything in ages and are approaching a decade being below standards. Might as well take a chance on a progressive young manager who most of the footballing world rate.
If Ronaldo can't work like expected for 90min he could still become kind of a super sub. A good manager should be able to convince him of that at least. Bringing him on against tired defenders should always be fun.

Last edited:

Strelok

It's not that simple mate. Ole is our legend, has been our manager for three years, has done a fine job rebuilding the squad and you can see how the media and Ronaldo's fans react when Ole decided to "rest" him and we're having bad results. Now imagine an unproven manager, has no history with us, has won nothing big and in the same situation. That doesn't sound good tbh.

I'm not against a new manager. But imo the United job is simply a bit too big and too early for him, especially considering our current situation with Ronaldo and Pogba. We'd need someone with more prestige to handle that I think.

Sviken

That's nonsense. Moyes was always an extremely negative, defensive manager ala Pullis and Big Sam. From what I remember, he literally didn't have a win against a top 4 side for his entire tenure at Everton. Always an underdog manager who was now tasked to actually dominate and win games. Never the right fit for us. Good for small clubs like Pullis is, but not for a top job. Potter is literally in the bracket of Nagelsmann/Rose. He wants to win and play exciting football at that. They are two entirely different managers in terms of mentality. And it's time for United fans to understand that every manager is a shot in the dark. There is no sure thing in football. We shouldn't be scared of our own shadow just because of that, otherwise we'll always be left last wondering why we continuously miss on managers like Klopp, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, etc and why our rivals continue to beat us to the punch on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.