• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I know nothing about Ten Hag other than watching those exciting CL performances. As I've said before, we need a proper modern coach to transform this football club. He seems to the most highly rated one amongst managers of that ilk who are available but I wouldn't have seen enough of them to differentiate. So of course I've voted yes.
That's a key process decision. The advantage of picking someone like Ten Hag, with that sort of football style, is that there are a lot of great and promising mangers around with a similar outlook. So if the next manager doesn't work out, someone similar with a strong profile could be picked and there would be continuity for the squad (and for the academy) - which has been missing ever since Ferguson left. It'd be proper long-term thinking, and you'd hope that's what Murtough is focusing on.

EtH

He's gonna be on our radar without a doubt and Marcel Bout actually knows both Ten Hag and Arno Slot from what i've read online. Not that i'm saying Slot is a genuine candidate for the role right now but he's someone that looks very promising and should be someone that could progress to a bigger stage in the future.

We also have Henny de Regt (Head of European scouting) who has strong links to Ajax and was the head of their academy for a period of time. If there's one coach who they will know about it's Ten Hag from the prospective targets imo.
Ah I knew there were ties to Ajax but that is even more significant than I thought. Really hope we’re able to secure him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a key process decision. The advantage of picking someone like Ten Hag, with that sort of football style, is that there are a lot of great and promising mangers around with a similar outlook. So if the next manager doesn't work out, someone similar with a strong profile could be picked and there would be continuity for the squad (and for the academy) - which has been missing ever since Ferguson left. It'd be proper long-term thinking, and you'd hope that's what Murtough is focusing on.
Exactly. That's what the plan should be. Set up a moderm style of play that can then be carried forward easily by others. If the style of play is implemented well at the start, then the concern in the future is mostly about signings, motivation, bringing the best out of players etc and not "why do we struggle to pass the ball to one another?".

lex talionis

It’s hard to see how it would be possible to bring Ten Hag in over the next month, but if it were doable we must get it done.

Ole has dropped anchor and we’re not going anywhere with him at the wheel. Sad, but that’s the reality of the situation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he would be gettable mid-season, but not whilst Ajax are in the Champions League.

wise_old_man

As things stand we need to changer something. In my opinion Ten Hag would be the perfect replacement for Ole, and here's a couple of reasons why:

He plays the 4-2-3-1 formation that transitions to a 4-3-3 during attack
Our players are used to both of these formations. Last thing we want is someone coming in mid season and flopping because they don't have the necessary players to fit their desired formation. With Ten Hag we won't have such an issue as he plays the formations mentioned above.

We have the perfect players for his formation
Pogba can play the De Jong role perfectly. He can drop deep to pick up the ball and use his deadly short and long range passing to start attacks.

He likes to play with 2 ball playing CBs. One that pushes up into midfield and one that covers. Well, we have 3 really good ball playing CBs in Varane, Maguire and Lindelof. So Maguire can push up while one of the other 2 can sweep the lines.

He likes to play with an AM that drops between the lines and makes runs of the shoulder of the CF. He used to play Van den Beek in this role at Ajax, but we also have Bruno who can play this role.

He plays with 2 wide forwards. One that cuts inside with pace and the other who acts sort of like a playmaker from the wing. For the cutting inside we have Rashford and Greenwood. Sancho can play the playmaker role.

He has a well defined system or patterns of play if you will that will help a lot of our players
Our squad relies too much on individual brilliance to gain a result. As a result we have a lot of players who look absolutely clueless in possession while others are constantly underperforming. The explanation is that those players are garbage or flops, but in my book some players need more guidance then others.

It's one of the first things that Ten Hag will change. I expect Sancho, Mctominay, Fred, Shaw to improve massively under him. Also he might benefit Bruno, as of right now he looks erratic and seems to try too hard. A manager that is going to clearly define what he has to do and what he should stop doing might do him a world of good.

He is a young and up and coming manager that technically adaptable
We've never had one of these. So far our managers(bar Ole) have been proven candidates. The only thing they've proven is that they're past it. For once it would be refreshing to see a manager that is on an upward trajectory.
One of the things that remained constant during his time at Ajax is that he would lose his key players. As a result he would have to adapt and change for his system to work. For example: In his 2018-2019 Ajax side, the fullback would always push up. Right now though because they're not as lethal in attack they actually drop in front of the CBs while the CMs push up. So this might actually work for someone like Wan Bissaka.

Has continental experience
A lot of the grief with Dutch managers run away with the Eredevise only to flop in Europe. Ten Hag is the exception. Everyone remembers his 2018-2019 run with Ajax where he lost the semi-final literally with the last kick of the game. I'm fairly certain that is he progressed to the final Ajax would have won it instead of the dippers.
As things stand Ajax is first in it's CL group level on points with Borussia Dortmund. So far they hammered Sporting 5-1 in Portugal and dispatched Besiktas with a 2-0 win. His next 2 matches are against Marco Rose, another up and coming manager we should be looking at. Will be interesting to see how he fares in those 2 matches. The battle of the hipster managers if you will :D

That being said would you consider him as the next manager? @KirkDuyt @AjaxCunian and everyone who watches Eredevise on a regular basis. How do you think he will fare at United?
I will personally pay for his flight here, and take a day off to pick him up at the airport.

OmarUnited4ever

I voted no, I feel like he is not ready for the big clubs yet, especially for Man United. he needs to do something in Germany/France first for few years before making the jump.

as of now, only Conte & Zidane are the proven coaches at the top who are available, can't think of any other names.

Hawks2008

Yeah, he's massively better than the intern we have in charge right now so I'd welcome him for sure.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
From that thread.

SAFesque
Wow. What a refreshing change from narratives such as trophies are for vanity and ego. It's the streaks and vibes that matter.

Knowing our Board, we will never get him though.

kps88

Better question is would we be willing to wait until the end of the season to get him in because, like most top managers, it's unlikely he will leave midway.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm going to say yes.

Everything seems to align with what I like.

1. Ole gets the January transfer window to buy some midfielders because I would prefer his midfield targets (Rice or Tchouameni). He has then improved every part of the squad from GK, Defence, midfield and attack.

2. Ole gets sacked at the end of the season for not meeting expectations of the fans and the club. Ten Hag gets to leave his club at the end of the season with peace.

3. Ten Hag can try to replace the departing Pogba with Frenkie De Jong with Barcelona a shadow of their former selves. Rice + De Jong is a beauty of a midfield partnership.

4. VDB gets to be utelised as a CAM/Muller type player like he should be utelised and hopefully we get to see his benefits. VDB is the replacement for Lingard who has also left.

5. The 433, 4231 all have been used including uses of 343 previously.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Tell Ajax we'll trade them Fletcher and Ole for Ten Haag and Van De Sar. We'll give them Carrick too.

Verward

I don't know who's the best guy to manage us but I think we need someone who is respected by our players because we have prima Donna in our team and new manager should be able to get them in line.
I'd have preferred, had we gone by hiring some progressive manager with upcoming talent just the way Liverpool did. They didn't buy superstars, they bought potential and maximized it. Of course they have Klopp but I refuse to accept that there are no other good managers.
At the moment I am not sure if new manager would be able to make much difference.

hungrywing

I'm not a manager, but since very few managers do it I imagine it must be very hard just to understand these concepts yet alone convey them in a comprehensible manner to your average football player. It's something like not everyone can be a quantum mechanics physicist. So the same must be true with top class managers.
But that being said, the 'trickle-down' of their ideas plus the advent of data science seems to have contributed to a 'rising tide lifts all boats' situation to a certain extent, don't you think?

One would think even our 'bad' coaches would at least try some of these ideas out. It also makes one wonder how little we used such ideas during SAF's reign if neither Ole nor Carrick seem to be particularly keen on them; perhaps a 'we didn't need them then, we shouldn't need them now' attitude exists.

Basically in an era where it seems even a lot of 'lower' level managers are at least trying out the top blokes' ideas, it looks like our coaches aren't.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We haven't hired a young progressive coach with a clear identity since Fergie retired.
  • Moyes:Middle aged dour midtable manager with an ordinary CV..
  • LVG: old previously world class manager who best days were early behind him. Although his football was to dominate the ball but in a regressive horizontal way.
  • Jose: Middle aged defensive coach who also was on an obvious downward curve.
  • Ole: in lrevous decade of managing, his highlights are two tilted with Molde and relegation/sacking with Cardiff.
Ten Hag is is completely different profile we haven't tried and I hope the club are attentive to this. Ten Hag to me, sounds like more of a United manager.

hungrywing

What annoys me is that we have wasted the paat 2 years which have gone trophyless just carrying on with this screw good football style of play and which could have been spent coaching this team into playing a progressive brand of football. The modernisation of Manchester United is the inevitable that we keep delaying.
Fly these posts as banners over OT. Help the Glazers out.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I voted no, at this point no fecking way, if Ole is to be sacked, we need a much more experienced manager that would instantly command the respect of the players we've got, that would push them into getting some silverware at the end of May.

Conte fits that person more, Get Conte in on an 18 months deal, then replace him with Ten Hag after he's gone, for a long term plan and fix Hag would be my man but for the current group we've got Conte for quick fix and result oriented.

arnie_ni

Same as Marc Rose and Nagelsmann whatever happened to them.
Both moved clubs in the summer.

Dortmund and Bayern respectively.

Must have been a nice enough flavour for those big German clubs.

SirAnderson

This is like asking who wants to spend a night with Gal Gadot. Nice fantasy, but best stick with reality. He ain't coming any time soon. Next season, maybe, but hey, nice to dream for the next 6 months. Blue balls all the way till the season is over.

Abhinav

This is like asking who wants to spend a night with Gal Gadot. Nice fantasy, but best stick with reality. He ain't coming any time soon. Next season, maybe, but hey, nice to dream for the next 6 months. Blue balls all the way till the season is over.
Can you explain why it is not realistic to expect an Ajax head coach to consider taking up a managerial role with one of the largest clubs in the world?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I voted no, at this point no fecking way, if Ole is to be sacked, we need a much more experienced manager that would instantly command the respect of the players we've got, that would push them into getting some silverware at the end of May.

Conte fits that person more, Get Conte in on an 18 months deal, then replace him with Ten Hag after he's gone, for a long term plan and fix Hag would be my man but for the current group we've got Conte for quick fix and result oriented.
Ten Haag would have to fix everything after Conte has a spell. You’d be replacing one philosophy with a contrasting one

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Ten Haag is everything people expect Ole to be. Maybe he needs to sign for us as a player and wear the 20 shirt just to get that sweet nostalgic points most United fans hold so dear.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Ten Haag would have to fix everything after Conte has a spell. You’d be replacing one philosophy with a contrasting one
That is why Hag would be more of a long term plan rather than a quick fix.

largelyworried

I disagree that we have the players for his formation. There's more to a team than simply whether its 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or whatever.

In order to make the kind of tactically fluid football that Ten Haag seems to favour, you need to have players whose strengths are in that tactical, system first approach to the game. We have the opposite. Ole has assembled attackers who favour a free hand in their approach to the game and see the tactics of the team as a looser framework to play within. How much they can be coached in a different way is open to debate - at one end, Sancho is probably fine with it. At the other, I suspect Ronaldo isnt changing his game now. The other players in between, hard to say. Bruno? Pogba?

Dont get me wrong, I would love Ten Haag. But I think its ambitious to think he would come in and just start running full tilt with the players we have available to us right now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That is why Hag would be more of a long term plan rather than a quick fix.
But I don’t see why we’d do that, haven’t we learnt anything since fergie left? Each manager has had to put their stamp on it, to fail then rip it up again. Ole is on the right track with the squad but has gone as far as he can I think. We just need someone to build on what’s started, adding a tactical mindset and development of the good kids we have right now coming through. That’s why I think Ten Haag is a better shout

Revan

Assumptionman
Without a doubt, seems to be the next big thing.

We’ll watch Barca or City getting him though, and then say that ‘only if he was available, I would have liked him to replace Ole, but he is not so let’s continue with Ole’s

Fergie 7ime

Inappropriate Content
Although I really like Ten Hag as a tactician, there is one real problem with him and that is his verbal communication. Even when he’s speaking in his mother tongue he sounds a bit retarded and I can only imagine how he sounds when speaking English.

Now, of course that doesn’t always has to be a problem, proven by every Spanish, French or Italian manager. But Ten Hag really doesn’t have any charisma or authority to make up for it. I really can’t see his ideas stick with the Ronaldo’s and Pogba’s of this world.

And then you need to factor in that our new manager’s greatest challenge is to make United’s ‘superstars’ work twice as hard as they currently are. I just can’t see Ten Hag do that if I’m honest. Our players really need a manager they fear, not some Dutch farmer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Although I really like Ten Hag as a tactician, there is one real problem with him and that is his verbal communication. Even when he’s speaking in his mother tongue he sounds a bit retarded and I can only imagine how he sounds when speaking English.

Now, of course that doesn’t always has to be a problem, proven by every Spanish, French or Italian manager. But Ten Hag really doesn’t have any charisma or authority to make up for it. I really can’t see his ideas stick with the Ronaldo’s and Pogba’s of this world.

And then you need to factor in that our new manager’s greatest challenge is to make United’s ‘superstars’ work twice as hard as they currently are. I just can’t see Ten Hag do that if I’m honest. Our players really need a manager they fear, not some Dutch farmer.

He sound no worse speaking English than hundreds of other foreign managers have.

Status
Not open for further replies.