• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

I'll take anyone who's first strategy is to sign a CM.

Hughie77

A CM has to come in in Jan anyway whoever is the Manager imo. But ollys on his last few games .

redshaw

Seriously? A perennial nobody is 3.5 years in his tenure, winning nothing and spending half a billion in the process...
Lets not get carried away with how long Ole has been in the job. I keep reading 3.5 years. 4 years.

It will be 3 years this late December since he arrived as caretaker.

He was then given the full time job at the end of March 2019. He has completed 2.5 years as full time manager. 2 years, 6 months and 18 days.

Not that I'm trying to back him but he's been in charge for around 2 and half years, which is not that long.

redIndianDevil

Would ten Hag take us? That is the real question. But I don't think we would even approach him, makes too much sense. Look at us go for Zidane and then fail to get him and in the mean time ten Hag goes to Barcelona or somewhere else.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lets not get carried away with how long Ole has been in the job. I keep reading 3.5 years. 4 years.

He was then given the full time job at the end of March 2019. He has completed 2.5 years as full time manager. 2 years, 6 months and 18 days.

Not that I'm trying to back him but he's been in charge for around 2 and half years, which is not that long.
It's extremely long, actually. The likes of Rodgers walked into Leicester and spent less, going all the way in a head to head in his debut season where they almost pipped us to 3rd place. Tuchel walked in and made an immediate impact. Conte walked in and made a quicker impact. Klopp had an identifiable style of play and clear progress in attacking football from the first full season onwards.

Our manager has had 3 years to embed his own system and his own ideas and has fallen ridiculously flat. He should have been sacked twice by now, let alone entertain ideas of him not having that long.

redIndianDevil

It's not that long for only us as we are spoilt by SAF. Everywhere else 2.5 years and the amount we've spent backing him is way too long, not for trophies for playing something resembling decent football.

the chameleon

The guy speaks 5 languages, don't think it would take him long to learn English to be fair.

Ideas and tactics aren't universal, what works with one team, in one league may not work with another team in another league.

How would we save the season by appointing a 'caretaker'?
As using your metric we would end up taking that caretaker on permanently if they performed!! Which would lead to no Ten Hag.
A caretaker is a caretaker. Even Hiddink or any other caretaker would do better than Ole at this point. The main goal is to not completely jeopardise the season and make sure we are in the mix.

I never said we take a caretaker on permanently. We use a stop gap to refresh ideas and build on and get Ten Hag in the bag for next year.

I don't know if takes him very long or not to learn English, but it would require a lot of bedding in time.

It's funny how fans only see the obvious names Zidane, Conte, it used to Mourninho as the names. To be fair Ten Hag plays good football, manages a club (Ajax) that share many values as us and has done very well in the Champions League. Could it fail? Yes. But, any new manager brings some element of risk that it won't work out.

redIndianDevil

One has to be able to command respect at United as manager. The team is full of egos, earning huge sums of money each week. They want a coach he they respect. Ten Hag is perfect if he can command respect.
Players don't go around throwing tantrums if the manager actually improves them. Even if one senior players gets dropped by a good manager and he makes the team play much better, player revolts don't happen. Players only start acting up when toxic managers like Mourinho alienate players whilst also making the team play bad.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This dude's never gonna manage Manchester United. Yet another Redcafe fever dream which will quickly fade away.

redshaw

It's extremely long, actually. The likes of Rodgers walked into Leicester and spent less, going all the way in a head to head in his debut season where they almost pipped us to 3rd place. Tuchel walked in and made an immediate impact. Conte walked in and made a quicker impact. Klopp had an identifiable style of play and clear progress in attacking football from the first full season onwards.

Our manager has had 3 years to embed his own system and his own ideas and has fallen ridiculously flat. He should have been sacked twice by now, let alone entertain ideas of him not having that long.
Yes I'm aware.

I've said we should've upgraded the manager in the summer at least. People are extending his duration here that is all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes I'm aware.

I've said we should've upgraded the manager in the summer at least. People are extending his duration here that is all.
Don't blame them, it feels like 5 years now :lol:

We need an rvn

Count as of when I voted, 93.4% for a yes.

Think this is a one way poll.

But given United have just signed up Phelan and Ole until 2024, I think the 6.6% of voters are correct in the sense there's no way he's coming here soon. The Glazers and the board would look ridiculously incompetent (already more so) if they sacked them after just signing them up.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Count as of when I voted, 93.4% for a yes.

Think this is a one way poll.

But given United have just signed up Phelan and Ole until 2024, I think the 6.6% of voters are correct in the sense there's no way he's coming here soon. The Glazers and the board would look ridiculously incompetent (already more so) if they sacked them after just signing them up.
Nah, the EL fiasco was a bad end to the season, but last year we showed an upward trajectory and 2nd place was not bad so all in all it was sensible to keep him on.

No one could have predicted this season would be such a shitshow, and they would look even more incompetent if they did not act

Mercurial

Big question is if our team is capable of 'Total Voetbal' and if he is adaptable. Ajax is more of an academy built around one specific philosophy, we play in a very different manner.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ten Hag would have been a brilliant hire a few years ago before Ole spent 400m building a new team.

The problem now is that you have the team Ole built and trained, the spine of the team is at their absolute peak ages, but its not clear that the players are suited for Ten Hag's kind of football that requires an emphasis on retaining possession, positional discipline with and without the ball, and high work rate. You have too much prime age talent to embrace a totally new project that will only really really work if you either replace half the team with other players who can play a different style or spend several seasons trying to teach those existing guys to master a completely different kind of football. This is on top of the very real question of whether Ten Hag has the stature to command a dressing room with players like Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, and Rashford, especially when some of them might end up marginalized in the new project.

IMO, you need to maximize the next 2-3 years with Maguire, Varane, Bruno, Pogba, Shaw all in their absolute primes and Ronaldo playing out the end of his career. The way to do that is with somebody like Conte who has the stature and personality to deal with anybody, knows how to whip a group of experienced players into shape quickly, and also plays a style that, while very tactically sophisticated, relies much more on moving the ball rapidly vertically than Pep-like possession and positional play.
Big question is if our team is capable of 'Total Voelbal' and if he is adaptable. Ajax is more of an academy built around one specific philosophy, we play in a very different manner.
Ajax's players aren't too different from ours, they're just better coached and drilled. I'd really only want Mazraoui from their side.

Haller
Tadic Klaassen Berghuis
Gravenberch Alvarez
Blind Martinez Timber Mazraoui
Pasveer

The biggest obstacles would be:

Haller - Ronnie (for the pressing)
Blind - Shaw
Klaassen - Bruno
Pasveer - De Gea (Ajax keepers are better with their feet)

Not worried at all about those players. Ten Hag has shown he's quite flexible and we have a large squad as is. He's also not allergic to playing youngsters.

If Gravenberch and Klaassen can be coached to play a certain way, so can Pogba and VDB.

Every managerial appointment results in an overhaul to some extent. It's the consequence of us lacking a clear identity.

Given that we have some great wingers I'd rather have him over Conte and seeing two out of Rashford/Sancho/Greenwood on the bench.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That's mostly me harping on about him being a numpty :wenger:

A Feyenoord fan giving his opinion on anything Ajax is a bit sus though. Like a poll on the caf asking for opinions on Steven Gerrard.
I do consider you a figure of great authority

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I'm not sure if I misremember but I think I read repeatedly that he's very unimpressive and awkward in the way he talks in interviews etc, and that this is somehwat of a puzzling contrast to his impressive success on the pitch..
But we'd have to ask others to elaborate @legolegs @KirkDuyt @VanDeBank @AjaxNL @BrilliantOrange @Cheimoon off the top of my head
Below my thoughts on the topic, which I wrote some time ago on here as well..

TLDR: Wont be an issue with the team, but the media will get to him if results are bad.

It won't help him indeed if the results are bad, but when he gets results no-one will make a point out of it.. It's the same in NL right, when the results were bad the media made an issue of it, when the results are great you hear no-one about it..

The major challenges I think will be whether arrived top players will 'accept' his managerial style, because he demands a lot of player and it quite 'eigenwijs' (not sure what the correct word is in English), and whether the board will give him proper time to implement his ideas of football. Because he wíll change things and it wíll take time.. For the players to get used to him as a person/manager and his playing style..

I dont think there is an issue with his English/speech necessarily, as you hear nothing but praise from players from different backgrounds at Ajax. Don't forget English is the main language at Ajax during all match preperations etc because there are a lot of non-Dutch players.

The critique against his presentation mostly comes from how he talks to the media, which is an absolute non-argument as long as the players are happy with him. It can only be a tricky thing when the results arent there and the media are constantly mocking him for his presentation at that point (which they dont do when the results are there), which can be a factor in building up external pressure. Still, if you hava a solid confident organization like Ajax has for the last couple of years, the organization will be blind/deaf to irrelevant arguments like that.

They only thing is thats a questionmark whether arrived top players like Bruno, Pogba, Cristiano, etc will be able the accept/cope with his high demanding coaching style.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
"Total football, 433, lots of possession, very dominant. High pressure, very aggressive and very good to watch."

Sounds pretty fecking good to me.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A caretaker is a caretaker. Even Hiddink or any other caretaker would do better than Ole at this point. The main goal is to not completely jeopardise the season and make sure we are in the mix.

I never said we take a caretaker on permanently. We use a stop gap to refresh ideas and build on and get Ten Hag in the bag for next year.

I don't know if takes him very long or not to learn English, but it would require a lot of bedding in time.

It's funny how fans only see the obvious names Zidane, Conte, it used to Mourninho as the names. To be fair Ten Hag plays good football, manages a club (Ajax) that share many values as us and has done very well in the Champions League. Could it fail? Yes. But, any new manager brings some element of risk that it won't work out.
Indeed, it's risky either which way we look at things, it's risky to keep Ole, although he could turn it around in the next 5 games, it's risky to get rid of Ole, as we don't know what the new manager would bring, it's also risky to get a stopgap in as it doesn't always work out.

The reason it's obvious names is because they are the big names, United are a big club. We've gone down the route of an 'underdog' manager in Moyes and it failed, LVG wasn't an obvious choice to be fair but still a big name, same as Jose.
Ole was never an obvious choice, and it's fair to say we've seen progress.

Would an international manager take a caretaker job til the end of the season maybe??
Otherwise you'd be limited as to who you could get in on that basis.

the chameleon

That's right, Ajax play BVB tomorrow, Ten Hag vs Rose, almost like RedCafé hipster manager audition
I love watching good football by coaches who actually know what they are doing with players who are well trained in a good attacking formation.

But apparently, they are called hipster managers on here.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If Dortmund was playing us tomorrow what would Rose have said?
I presume he would not have talked about how United play, but more about how big a club they are etc. Diplomatic silence about the system.

MalaysianRed7

Yes a million times over. This guy is an absolutely world class manager and my first choice. His Ajax team in 2018-19 was the best in Europe that season and really ought to have won the Champions League.

Aside from their thrilling knockout games that everyone remembers, they dominated Bayern and Benfica home and away in the group stages as well, and won the Eredivisie with an absolutely ridiculous 119 goals in 34 games. That’s 3.5 goals per game :lol: In hindsight, Ole really should have been sacked at the end of that season after we ended without winning against Huddersfield and Cardiff, and this guy hired. Nothing has changed since then as well, just that the quality of his squad has decreased year on year. They still win the Eredivisie every season at least.

Anyway, just think what would happen if this man imprinted his attacking, fluid possession game on Varane, Lindelof, Matic, Pogba, Donny (again), Bruno, Sancho, Mason, Rashford and Ronaldo. I have no doubt in my mind that we would play the same type of football his Ajax team plays, just upgraded due to the amount of top players we have. As aforementioned, he’s already shown that he can work with world class players, who have since gone to Barca, Juve, Chelsea etc. We’d win the league and become a CL challenger within two years imo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't watch the Dutch league and Ajax' Champions League run wasn't so sensational that I would remember the name of the manager. I just vaguely remembered De Jong and Ziyech(?) from that team.
DeLigt, Donny, good development as you’d expect from an Ajax manager

redshaw

I did half joke couple of years ago we should've bought Ajax lock stock and barrel and imported it over. It's what United really need. We should be a club known for excellence in football, we have big resources but squander it all. Football wise we're still close to ground zero. We need to get serious as a club before it's too late, more oil money is coming to edge us out.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I love watching good football by coaches who actually know what they are doing with players who are well trained in a good attacking formation.

But apparently, they are called hipster managers on here.
I may be wrong, but I honestly believe that people not understanding something are the ones dismissing it as a "hipster kind of shite", and I've seen a fair few posters like that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I presume he would not have talked about how United play, but more about how big a club they are etc. Diplomatic silence about the system.
"They're a huge club with world class players all over the pitch. They may be going through a difficult period but that only means they have all the more to prove in tomorrow's game."

Status
Not open for further replies.