• No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Seen his name mentioned a few times for Newcastle. He is one manager who could transform a club with the funds they have.

Would be a great coach at any club.

RedDevil@84

Only advantage is that the ones looking for new managers are in a worse situation that us :lol:

The only one that might swoop in are Barca.
Newcastle is one. And PSG may fire their current one at end of season :p

MrBest

Hold on, is Rodgers getting credit for absolutely getting chased down in the league by Ole United, to get beat in the last game at home to finish 5th? And then not even being close the following season?

Imagine if this was the other way round. People underrate that Leicester team, they have a very good squad, and first 11. They no mugs and Rodgers is not working untold wonders at them. Fair play won a FA cup but so did Arteta.
Firstly and to be clear, i don't want Rogers as our manager ( incase that comes up). Im not sure how much you follow Leicester but i have for 15 years, they are my second team and i used to have a season ticket there when i lived there. Expectations for Leicester were artificially inflated after the leagure win in 2013. Rogers took over the team with them comfortable in mid table. I can tell you now that Leicester fans (most) are delighted with 5th, yea champions league would have been better but 5th and Europe exceeds expectations given Spurs, Arsenal and Everton are seen as bigger and more established clubs. I dont expect Leicester to be a regular champions league team but i do expect Man United to be one.

The FA Cup was wonders for Leicester, the first one ever. Add the charity shield, another great day for the fans. I expect record fa cup champions Arsenal to be in the mix on a more regular basis than Leciester, we have only 1 prem,3 league cup, 1 fa cup and a charity shield. Rogers has exceeded expectations by far, no one expected the cup plus two years in Europe and pushing the "top 6" to the wire. I will say that the Maguire money did help to build a new foundation and Jonnu Evans was a steel.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Any chance he'd actually come in before end of the season? It has to be for next season right?

If this is the way we chose to go (have some reservations as I mentioned above), I hope we dial up VdS, Ten Hag and start talking to them now instead of waiting until the last moment.

I have to watch one of the Ajax matches fully I think. Only watched bits and parts of today's game. All my opinions come from Tifo's description of his playstyle which made him seem like bit of a Guardiola protege (thanks to their days at Bayern) but with a little bit of his own twist. At any rate, emphasis on ball control, retention etc. (60%+ possession every game or something like that)

Do you think players like Rashford, Fred, AwB, McT can be successful with Ten Hag? Or put another way, can he take this United side and get results and not demand wholesale surgery again?
If I may attempt to answer, I would say he would love to work with Rashford because he already works with players like Neres who isn't as good as Rashford. And if I was to make a prediction i'd say he'd also give both Ethan Laird and Hannibal Mejbri the opportunity become mainstays in the team because both Laird and Hannibal are of a higher technical level than AWB and McFred.

The difference between ten Hag and LVG is that, LVG adopted a low risk horizontal approach when it comes to controlling zones whilst maintaining positional discipline in a possession oriented approach. And ten Hag adopts a vertical axis when it comes to progressing play, which is more difficult but means when implemented correctly with the right execution, it's devastating in the modern game. So the difference is quite big.

There's no guarantee with any coach but i'd personally rather see us give the job to ten Hag rather than Zidane or Conte. For me one league title with ten Hag would be better than winning 3 with Zidane or Conte due to the potential breath taking football that a ten Hag team has to offer. It also has the potential to leave a stamp/imprint on the club long after he's left, which would benefit other coaches imo.

Last edited:

MrBest

Fred and AWB being binned is definitely a good thing. They are both useless.
I dare you to tell Dani Alvez that Fred should be binned, he called hik world class for Brazil recently.

FatTails

We’re more likely to hire Bruce or Southgate over Ten Hag, I feel. I don’t know why, don’t ask.

Flexdegea

Firstly and to be clear, i don't want Rogers as our manager ( incase that comes up). Im not sure how much you follow Leicester but i have for 15 years, they are my second team and i used to have a season ticket there when i lived there. Expectations for Leicester were artificially inflated after the leagure win in 2013. Rogers took over the team with them comfortable in mid table. I can tell you now that Leicester fans (most) are delighted with 5th, yea champions league would have been better but 5th and Europe exceeds expectations given Spurs, Arsenal and Everton are seen as bigger and more established clubs. I dont expect Leicester to be a regular champions league team but i do expect Man United to be one.

The FA Cup was wonders for Leicester, the first one ever. Add the charity shield, another great day for the fans. I expect record fa cup champions Arsenal to be in the mix on a more regular basis than Leciester, we have only 1 prem,3 league cup, 1 fa cup and a charity shield. Rogers has exceeded expectations by far, no one expected the cup plus two years in Europe and pushing the "top 6" to the wire. I will say that the Maguire money did help to build a new foundation and Jonnu Evans was a steel.
Im not sure what that post has to do with what I was saying about your original post.

They literally flopped that 3rd spot, think might have been 14 points ahead of us at one stage. Then to lose it to Ole United and on the last day. Point being don't think Rodgers is the stick to be beating Ole with, if Ole had that sort of turn around in the league from a dominating position could you imagine this place

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If I may attempt to answer, I would say he would love to work with Rashford because he already works with players like Neres who isn't as good as Rashford. And if I was to make a prediction i'd say he'd also give both Ethan Laird and Hannibal Mejbri the opportunity become mainstays in the team because both Laird and Hannibal are of a higher technical level than AWB and McFred.

The difference between ten Hag and LVG is that, LVG adopted a low risk horizontal approach when it comes to controlling zones whilst maintaining positional discipline in a possession oriented approach. And ten Hag adopts a vertical axis when it comes to progressing play, which is more difficult but means when implemented correctly with the right execution, it's devastating in the modern game. So the difference is quite big.

There's no guarantee with any coach but i'd personally rather see us give the job to ten Hag rather than Zidane or Conte. For me one league title with ten Hag would be better than winning 3 with Zidane or Conte due to the potential breath taking football that a ten Hag team has to offer. It also has the potential leave a stamp/imprint on the club long after he's left, which would benefit other coaches imo.
This is 100% it. I want to move into a direction of being a team that plays great football.

Teja

Thanks!

So Pep is also quite vertical these days right? Early days it was all about possession at all cost - if we don't give the other team the ball, they can't score, quick counter pressing to win the ball back, games with 70+% possession, the start of tiki-taka, the Spain borefest in the Euros etc.

I think most have moved away from that approach because

(a) The requirements are quite high - you can do it with Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi but very few other players in world football can fit in.
(b) Teams have figured out how to deal with it. You need to take risks in possession or you won't score, ball retention is not the name of the game.

So how exactly is he different from the current version of Pep?

SirScholes

maybe I just hope that there’s still some people out there for whom money and stature isn’t everything. What’s more of achievement, what he’s done at Ajax (who knows, maybe go deep again this year) or winning a league with endless pockets and seemingly world class players everywhere?
I think returning us back to the top after 4 managers failed would be a bigger achievement

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks!

So Pep is also quite vertical these days right? Early days it was all about possession at all cost - if we don't give the other team the ball, they can't score, quick counter pressing to win the ball back, games with 70+% possession, the start of tiki-taka, the Spain borefest in the Euros etc.

I think most have moved away from that approach because

(a) The requirements are quite high - you can do it with Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi but very few other players in world football can fit in.
(b) Teams have figured out how to deal with it. You need to take risks in possession or you won't score, ball retention is not the name of the game.

So how exactly is he different from the current version of Pep?
There's a difference between tiki-taka and what the likes of Guardiola and ten Hag etc implement imo. Tiki-taka is possession football but as seen with Spain it could lead to dead end situations and possession just for the sake of possession. Guardiola and ten Hag are two of quite a number of coaches who implement a strong positional game to exert zonal control in the quest to open up space for the free man (3rd man). So there's a actual purpose behind trying to dominate possession, unlike tiki taka which could result in useless amounts of possession.

I think both Pep and ten Hag adopt a vertical axis when it comes to progressing the ball. But it seems like ten Hag is even more direct in comparison to Guardiola and wants to get the ball forward quickly whilst Guardiola's teams appear more patient in the build up phase.

FriedClams

There's a difference between tiki-taka and what the likes of Guardiola and ten Hag etc implement imo. Tiki-taka is possession football but as seen with Spain it could lead to dead end situations and possession just for the sake of possession. Guardiola and ten Hag are two of quite a number of coaches who implement a strong positional game to exert zonal control in the quest to open up space for the free man (3rd man). So there's a actual purpose behind trying to dominate possession, unlike tiki taka which could result in useless amounts of possession.

I think both Pep and ten Hag adopt a vertical axis when it comes to progressing the ball. But it seems like ten Hag is even more direct in comparison to Guardiola and wants to get the ball forward quickly whilst Guardiola's teams appear more patient in the build up phase.
I remember Thierry Henry did a great interview on guardiolas instructions, and it was all perfectly structured with the understanding that once the pieces had been moved into the correct position on the board, they would “just play”. Ten Hag is very similar. We should ask Southampton fans what they think of Ten Hag, because what he has done with Tadic is quite incredible.

EtH

I remember Thierry Henry did a great interview on guardiolas instructions, and it was all perfectly structured with the understanding that once the pieces had been moved into the correct position on the board, they would “just play”. Ten Hag is very similar. We should ask Southampton fans what they think of Ten Hag, because what he has done with Tadic is quite incredible.
Sancho would rule the world under Ten Hag. Our attack in general as well. But particularly Sancho.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Let's be honest. We haven't had one convincing performance in the champions league where we've looked like proper contenders since 2010 where we beat AC Milan 4-0. Over a decade ago, that is.

This chap has got Ajax outplaying Dortmund, Juventus, Real Madrid, and going toe-to-toe with Bayern Munich in recent years.

If there's any interest from him we need to pounce, and fast.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
i'm pretty sure most people are convinced now :lol:
But the Ajax fan in me hopes he stays for a bit

Smores

Two things i liked and no idea whether it's standard Ajax under him. There wasn't a relentless energy wasted on the press but the 3 behind the striker came a bit narrower to make it difficult to play through.
Also the contrast seemed drastically stark that we run away from our player with the ball, they move towards him and provide compact options.

FatTails

Just a feeling that he’s not the kind of manager we would go after. Young, foreign, no connection to United, would overhaul our style of play in a way that might seem like a rejection of the “United way”.

I’m all for him so hopefully not.

croadyman

Would like to see him get the job after seeing what a Conte/Zidane could do with this team first, however there is always that risk we end up missing out on him just like we have seen happen with Klopp (Toy Story's fault), Pep (lost in translation) and Tuchel (boards blind faith in Ole)

Teja

Interesting .. I wonder if you can classify how vertical a team is with data.

Number of passes per sequence? Time per sequence or something like that? I have to go dig a bit more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting .. I wonder if you can classify how vertical a team is with data.

Number of passes per sequence? Time per sequence or something like that? I have to go dig a bit more.
It would be interesting to observe, that's for sure.

justboy68

The depressing thing is our board probably don't even know who he is. We'll miss out on another talented up and coming manager and be left scrambling around with no plan once the board finally realise the obvious fact that Ole isn't up to it.

croadyman

The depressing thing is our board probably don't even know who he is. We'll miss out on another talented up and coming manager and be left scrambling around with no plan once the board finally realise the obvious fact that Ole isn't up to it.
Yeah like I said in a previous post we already have previous for missing out on managers, already got a super chat lined up for the day that Toy Story puppet leaves along the lines of Good Riddance cheers for costing us Klopp with that Adult Disneyland

Posh Red

Yeah like I said in a previous post we already have previous for missing out on talented managers, already got a super chat lined up for the day that Toy Story puppet leaves along the lines of Good Riddance cheers for costing us Klopp with that Disneyland
I’m not sure that will catch on to be honest

RedAlert7

I've been watching his ajax team for a while and he is so tactically astute. However I worry our board won't go for him. If Ole's bad results continue and he does get sacked mid season, they will likely hire zidane as the glazers probably havent even heard of ten hag. And even if they do want him he won't want to leave mid season and i also feel like another team will offer him a better project compared to woodwards "adult disneyland".

SAFMUTD

Then just one RB, then just one pressing striker, then just one out and out winger, then just one ball playing GK, then just one more pacey centre back, then the midfielder is too old so one more of those again. Ole's at the wheel.
Trust the process, the never ending rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.