• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

I have to say one thing that impresses me is that (on paper, at least) an attack of Haller, Berghuis, and Tadic looks pretty imbalanced in the sense of a real lack of penetrative speed and movement in behind, but it somehow seems to be really working. Signs of an impressive manager with a well run system. Am I off the mark there or not? @Ajax fans
A manager who understands Haller versus coaches seeing him being tall, big and quick and just playing him as a target man. I honestly think he'd start for City or Pool centrally, he was just criminally mismanaged at WHUM.

ndkhoa2020

The problem is at Ten Hag too. He should drop Ajax for us, there are very rare opportunities to compete with Pep, Tuchel, Kloop in the same league. As a manager having high ambitious, he must show his gut and courage to take the chance. Winning Premier League equals to top tier manager no doubt.

Last edited:

hungrywing

Just acting as a consultant there, he is not actively part of the board.
Forget being on some board, I thought he was managing a club, not just 'consulting'.

The problem is at Ten Hag too. He should drop Ajax for us, there are very rare opportunities to compete with Pep, Tuchel, Kloop in them same league. As a manager having high ambitious, he must show his gut and courage to take the chance. Winning Premier League equals to top tier manager no doubt.
If there were a 'write a letter to Ten Hag to convince him to join' thread on the caf, and the above post was a decent representation of the mean overall sentiment (maybe toss in a subtle compliment), one imagines that whatever the Glazers could cobble together would fall far far short of even that.

Dear Eric,

We'd love if you would come manage Manchester United for us! You'll love it! It's like Disneyland but for adults! Wait-

Okay, Eddie's told us you footballing-savvy people from Europe don't like that non-inclusive language; you're going to have to please forgive us dumb Americans. Ha! It's like Disney
world but for adults! There, that's better. You're going to love it here, we're sure. We look forward to meeting you in person and getting to know you better.

From our family to yours,

J. Glazer

Caesar2290

It's kind of depressing really seeing all of these reports linking us to Conte, and not even a single one, not even from an ITK linking us to Ten Hag.

I guess we never learn, do we?

Mcking

It's kind of depressing really seeing all of these reports linking us to Conte, and not even a single one, not even from an ITK linking us to Ten Hag.

Difficult to build an interest on Ten Hag when Antonio Conte is available.

Caesar2290

Difficult to build an interest on Ten Hag when Antonio Conte is available.
Why would you hire an attacking manager that both Bayern and Barca are/were after when you have Conte which both clubs wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole?

Very sad state of affairs.

Mcking

Why would you hire an attacking manager that both Bayern and Barca are/were after when you have Conte which both clubs wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole?

Very sad state of affairs.
Barca have Ronald Koeman as their manager. They'd probably bite your hands off for Antonio Conte if they could afford him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still hope we have him planned for the future, but it doesn't seem likely he'll be Ole's successor.

Idxomer

I have to say one thing that impresses me is that (on paper, at least) an attack of Haller, Berghuis, and Tadic looks pretty imbalanced in the sense of a real lack of penetrative speed and movement in behind, but it somehow seems to be really working. Signs of an impressive manager with a well run system. Am I off the mark there or not? @Ajax fans
I actually thought Berghuis was some young player they got from Feyenoord but discovered today he's 30 and played for Watford 5 years ago.

Caesar2290

Barca have Ronald Koeman as their manager. They'd probably bite your hands off for Antonio Conte if they could afford him.
Have you seen any strong Conte to Barca links? I haven't

Barca have a footballing philosophy. You have to win and you also have to play attacking football. Same as Ajax

It's the reason they are linked strongly with both Ten Hag and Xavi.

It's the reason they snubbed prime Mourinho despite him winning the Treble with Inter at the time. It's also the reason team like Bayern never look at coaches like Mourinho or Conte.

Conte would be perfect at Real though.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Lets be honest. Ajax is probably the perfect situation for him. I’m not convinced his tactics and philosophy would translate to us. They play the same way whoever the manager is.

Zoo

I can see it being a massive failure to be honest. Can’t change a whole club to be like Ajax.

Caesar2290

Lets be honest. Ajax is probably the perfect situation for him. I’m not convinced his tactics and philosophy would translate to us. They play the same way whoever the manager is.
I can see it being a massive failure to be honest. Can’t change a whole club to be like Ajax.
You guys clearly haven't watched Ajax under previous managers, have you? This man has Haller who was a West Ham flop being CL top scorer and scoring in every match so far. Do you think this is also the Ajax setup as well?

Berbaclass

You guys clearly haven't watched Ajax under previous managers, have you? This man has Haller who was a West Ham flop being CL top scorer and scoring in every match so far. Do you think this is also the Ajax setup as well?
The same Haller who was very good at Frankfurt and in all fairness the Eredivisie isn't the strongest.

Infra-red

Neil Custis has him as one of our four targets in tomorrow's Sun. The others are Zidane, Rodgers and Conte. An agent has been instructed to make contact with all four on our behalf and sound them out re prospective demands, in case we decide to dispense with Ole's services.

Zoo

I think the job is too big for him and asking too much, it screams disaster to me. He’d be smart to go to a Bayern or City where they’ve had a similar and stable philosophy in place for years where he could walk in and add to it.

Berbaclass

I think the job is too big for him and asking too much, it screams disaster to me. He’d be smart to go to a Bayern or City where they’ve had a similar and stable philosophy in place for years where he could walk in and add to it.
Exactly the culture between Ajax/Barca is very similar. It's not at United and for that reason, he would struggle.

Mcking

Barca have a footballing philosophy. You have to win and you also have to play attacking football. Same as Ajax

It's the reason they snubbed prime Mourinho despite him winning the Treble with Inter at the time. It's also the reason team like Bayern never look at coaches like Mourinho or Conte.

Attacking football has lost all of it's meaning hasn't it? It probably never meant anything to begin with.

Berbaclass

They hired Kovac though, who if I remember rightly played a Conte esque 3-5-2 at Frankfurt.

Caesar2290

Exactly the culture between Ajax/Barca is very similar. It's not at United and for that reason, he would struggle.
:lol:
The same Barca that mobs their boss after a defeat? And the same United where fans line up to have autographs with their manager after having experienced one of their worst home defeats to their bitter rivals?

Poor Ten Hag, how will he handle this crazy pressure? :lol::lol:

As for Haller, he's the CL top scorer at the moment. Just saying

They hired Kovac though, who if I remember rightly played a Conte esque 3-5-2 at Frankfurt.
How long did he last?

Berbaclass

:lol:
The same Barca that mobs their boss after a defeat? And the same United where fans line up to have autographs with their manager after having experienced one of their worst home defeats to their bitter rivals?

Poor Ten Hag, how will he handle this crazy pressure? :lol::lol:

As for Haller, he's the CL top scorer at the moment. Just saying

How long did he last?
Ajax to Barcelona is a lot more of a logical progression than Ajax to Manchester United purely on footballing philosophy. Let's not act like the supporters don't want Koeman and never have so it's not as simple as "being mobbed after one defeat"

Irrelevant how long Kovac lasted. You said that teams like Bayern never look at coaches like that despite literally hiring one.

As for Haller, he's a good player in a relatively poor league. His scoring in the CL is not that surprising either considering that Ajax group is relatively easy.

BlueHaze

If he came here, it would only take 3 months before people would be calling him a Pep Guardiola is my idol. No, but in all seriousness he's probably my #1 candidate for the time being.

If we could manage to bring both him and Edwin here there would be hope for better days.

croadyman

We should at least be sounding the guy out to see if he's open to taking the job albeit not now by the looks of things

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Di Marzio doesn't say a deal has been struck to appoint Conte but rather he's on the list with other names like Zidane and initial contact has been made with Conte and his reps.

Neil Custis is reporting that Conte, Zidane, Rodgers and ten Hag are the 4 names on the short list, with a agent instructed to guage the plan each candidate has for the club going forward including contract terms.
Atleast ten hag is on the list.

E-mal

Heard good things about him but why are we not going for Luis Enrique?

Crashoutcassius

Neil Custis has him as one of our four targets in tomorrow's Sun. The others are Zidane, Rodgers and Conte. An agent has been instructed to make contact with all four on our behalf and sound them out re prospective demands, in case we decide to dispense with Ole's services.
Is Neil custis highly regarded for reliability

MUFC OK

Completely agree. Of the options he potentially has the highest upside long term, but it would take a serious amount of time to implement his philosophy, if we manage to do so at all.

TheRedHearted

With the form Ajax is in the champions league I doubt he would leave mid campaign- am I wrong? Wouldn't he fancy giving it one last chance with them to try and win it

Hal9000

With the form Ajax is in the champions league I doubt he would leave mid campaign- am I wrong? Wouldn't he fancy giving it one last chance with them to try and win it
He didn't leave for Bayern mid season when they wanted him, he deffo won't for us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Considering the backing from last season, finished 2nd is reasonable. This season is obviously a different expectation to Ole, while Mourinho should have at least competing as he spent more than 350m. On the other hand, Ajax are competing with PSV. Not in comparison to United competing with Chelsea, City and Liverpool.
Ajax reached Champions League semifinals in 2018-2019 after knocking out Real Madrid and Juventus and were seconds away from reaching the final, really. If you are talking about levels, what Ten Hag is able to do with the players he has and what we are doing with the much bigger stars.... are you even being serious here?!

Ten Hag is 100x a manager Ole will ever be, but this debate is pointless because he is not coming to United. It's just our fantasies. End of story

Status
Not open for further replies.