• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar2290

I'm not going to ask you what kind of cake you like, because that would be a serious jinx, but put some thought into it and have a few answers ready.
Agreed, let's not jinx this. We need to focus all our energy into memeing Ten Hag to United :devil:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Forget cakes, it's Dutch waffles (is that even a thing?).
Stroopwafels!

And oliebollen. Same idea, completely different execution. (Good thing I went to the local Dutch story and bought stroopwafels yesterday.)

Stacks

People deal with idealistic dream scenarios too often. Let's be realistic - we are not Ajax. Our structure is unlikely to be dramatically changed above manager level. We need a manager to come in and deal with the existing board, existing structure in place and essentially be successful despite this. That's not impossible but leaves room for error. You can't just bring Ten Hag in and hope he can coach the shit out of us and he becomes Pep 2.0 but with our structure. That's not happening. There's such a big risk of failure with someone like him, because there are just so many unknowns as to how his role with Ajax would actually compare at United, or how he could translate that success to the premier league and a club like United. Ten Hag to me is nothing but a pipe dream that we suddenly decide to change our entire structure to something like what Bayern has. Good luck with that.

A more realistic scenario is just focusing in getting a manager who can deal with the current structure and get the best out of the team. It's not the impossible of a task tbh. You get to be one of the highest spending clubs year after year, you get to have one of the highest wage budgets around, you have a lot of say in transfer targets. Win a trophy and you might get a 10 year contract. That to me points to Antonio Conte being the guy best suited for us in the real world, not the dream world where Van der Sar or someone comes here and our entire business model is restructured into something that actually works in making us like a Bayern. You have a group of great players with financial backing to improve it, and you have to make them perform relative to their wage budget essentially. Don't even need to punch above your weight. Just kinda meet expectations according to the money being spent.
apparenlty he is already coming. also have some faith. Everything hasn't got to be perfectly aligned. Conte came in and won at Chelsea as did Ancelotti but for some reason United have to have special conditions for coaches to succeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_ten_Hag#Manchester_United

DarkXaero

I’ll be relieved if we get Conte. There are far worse decisions that the board is fully capable of making.
Conte is an excellent coach so I'd be very comfortable with that decision. One of the biggest things our team needs is someone to coach them to defend as a team, whether that is to press or to drop and contain. Then also how to attack and progress the ball up the pitch. Conte has shown time and time again to be a very good coach with that. And he'd have a very good squad to do it with.
Conte is not a bad option, I agree that the board can definitely do a lot worse. But Conte has never proven to be a long term option and while he's tactically very competent, there are aspects to him that don't align with the club mindset. So I'd rather that they go for a more long-term, stability option like Ten Hag, whose style of football also fits what we want more.

Caesar2290

How can anybody want Ten Hag over Conte it boggles the mind
Great attacking football football
Promotes the youth
Good record in Europe
If successful, here for the long run

What's not to like?

We need to start a meme: the virgin Conte vs the Ten Hag Chad :devil:

Devil may care

Some of us like good football, and Ten Hag is a progressive manager who suits the young squad we have, plus he's not a nutter who throws his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get what he wants.

Flytan

Some of us like good football, and Ten Hag is a progressive manager who suits the young squad we have, plus he's not a nutter who throws his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get what he wants.
Can you link or show anything that shows this squad is built for ten hag at all? It looks much closer to a Conte side than anyone else. The only thing we don't have is a rwb

Edit: nvm you think our squad is young, you really don't pay much attention

Ixion

Potentially good long term manager vs Established short term manager.

Would be a gamble but its hoping for stability over chopping and changing managers again in a couple of years.

MUFC OK

Ole's not a coach, he said he wanted to implement that because he knew it was what fans wanted to hear but had no intention of doing so, largely because he had no clue of how. Thinking Conte is the right choice is completely fair enough, of all the options he'd probably give us the best chance of winning a major trophy in the next couple of years, but all of the points you've made about Ten Hag (bringing in his own staff, the players not having worked on his style - they haven't worked on any style, needing some signings) apply to any manager and to use the fact that Ole hasn't been able to implement a style in 3 years as evidence that someone else couldn't is nonsense.
I’m not saying we couldn’t implement a style at all, I just don’t think the high pressing tiki taka style will work to the strength on the best players we have.

MUFC OK

Can you link or show anything that shows this squad is built for ten hag at all? It looks much closer to a Conte side than anyone else. The only thing we don't have is a rwb

100% agree with this. This squad ain’t set up for ten Haag. It fits conte a lot better. Just needs a cdm, RWB.

Caesar2290

There are literally 2 videos in the OP showing us just that. Ten Hag plays a 4-2-3-1 that transitions to a 4-3-3 during the attack. Unlike Conte he doesn't need a Lukaku style CF for his formation to be effective. As witnessed that he played the like of Huntelaar, Klassen and even Tadic as CFs before settling on Haller.

These are the videos

Devil may care

Mason, Sancho, Van de Beek, Martial, Rashford, AWB, Shaw, Amad, Martial, McTominay, none of them are over 26, is that old now? Conte doesn't use wide forwards so there's at least 5 of those players dead on arrival.

MUFC OK

There are literally 2 videos in the OP showing us just that. Ten Hag plays a 4-2-3-1 that transitions to a 4-3-3 during the attack. Unlike Conte he doesn't need a Lukaku style CF for his formation to be effective. As witnessed that he played the like of Huntelaar, Klassen and even Tadic as CFs before settling on Haller.

These are the videos
Let’s be honest we’ve hardly played either of those formations in game. More of a 4-2-4 and ten Haags team takes a different shape in game.

Caesar2290

I’m not saying we couldn’t implement a style at all, I just don’t think the high pressing tiki taka style will work to the strength on the best players we have.
Some Watford and West Ham rejects can play tiki taka, but Manchester United internationals can't?

Mate dross like Smalling, Jones and Darmian played under LvG who had a very similar style, yet players like Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw won't be able to? You're having a laugh

Kaos

Mason, Sancho, Van de Beek, Martial, Rashford, AWB, Shaw, Amad, Martial, McTominay, none of them are over 26, is that old now? Conte doesn't use wide forwards so there's at least 5 of those players dead on arrival.
I don't want Conte but this is a bit of a misconception. His 3-4-3 uses attacking wide players - didn't he play Hazard and Pedro in his early Chelsea side.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's very far from every other type of coach we have tried so far, which is a huge advantage in itself. But the biggest positive is that he bring away from this passion and vibes crap into a modern team, which bringing through youth players.

Of course, all of that makes too much so we will settle for Southgate.

Footyislife

Hiring Ten Hag would be like Liverpool getting Klopp and then backing him over the years.

Do what it takes, give Ten Hag the time & money (which I don't think he needs much of). If players put up resistance show them the door just like Fergie would.

Caesar2290

Let’s be honest we’ve hardly played either of those formations in game. More of a 4-2-4 and ten Haags team takes a different shape in game.
As opposed to Conte's 3-5-2 or 3-4-3? We've played plenty of games doing the 4-2-3-1 formation. Let's not rewrite history here to suit an agenda

Flytan

These are the videos
So judging by the videos we would need: a haller type forward, a de Jong type midfielder, and a rb?

MUFC OK

I don't want Conte but this is a bit of a misconception. His 3-4-3 uses attacking wide players - didn't he play Hazard and Pedro in his early Chelsea side.
Swear the extent of peoples knowledge is:

Conte - 3-5-2, defensive - BAD
Ten Haag - 4-3-3, attacking, sexy football - GOOD

Kaos

Hiring Ten Hag would be like Liverpool getting Klopp and then backing him over the years.

Do what it takes, give Ten Hag the time & money (which I don't think he needs much of). If players put up resistance show them the door just like Fergie would.
This is how it would feel for me.

I wouldn't mind us not winning anything for a season or two if we could see clear progression with our style of football. You could see Klopp developing Liverpool into something special early into his tenure despite not winning anything.

MUFC OK

As opposed to Conte's 3-5-2 or 3-4-3? We've played plenty of games doing the 4-2-3-1 formation. Let's not rewrite history here to suit an agenda
We don’t ever play that formation in game. That’s my point.

Devil may care

I don't recall Hazard ever playing as a wingback, Pedro might have played a couple of games but he ended up with Moses and Alonso or Azpi, no aay Sancho, Mason, Amad, Martial and Rashford are cut out to be wingbacks, he's not the right guy for United, people are so sick of Ole they'll jump into bed with anyone.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

We're not that progressive. We will try to stick to the typical "old, used to be successful, it is gonna end bad" route

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Conte has always used wide forwards

Kaos

I mean yeah that's a lazy take, but I still think you can objectively describe Ten Hag's football as more fluid and pleasing to the eye than Conte's.

Kaos

I don't recall Hazard ever playing as a wingback, Pedro might have played a couple of games but he ended up with Moses and Alonso or Azpi, no aay Sancho, Mason, Amad, Martial and Rashford are cut out to be wingbacks, he's not the right guy for United, people are so sick of Ole they'll jump into bed with anyone.
Its because he wasn't used as a wingback, neither was Pedro. Both were used as wide attackers that would cut in (not too dissimilar to our wide forwards). The wingbacks provided the main width in their attacks.

MUFC OK

I mean yeah that's a lazy take, but I still think you can objectively describe Ten Hag's football as more fluid and pleasing to the eye than Conte's.
I’d prioritise winning at this stage. Give me Utd in 2013, who were a machine, over Arsenal around the same time where they played great football but never won the big trophies.

Flytan

Van de Beek is gone
Martial isn't good enough and is gone
Mctominay is a squad option
Amad is a complete unknown quantity
Shaw is out of form who knows if he gets it back
Awb is a weak link.

Sancho would be great with Conte. Look at hazard. Don't care if martial is done.

Rest of squad: varane, needs to win now, maguire, needs to win now, Ronaldo, in twilight of career, De gea 33.

Our squad is 10th in age in the premier league. It isn't young

Devil may care

Hardly, you only need a set of eyes to see Conte's football is dull as ditchwater and Ten Hag's is very entertaining.

Caesar2290

So judging by the videos we would need: a haller type forward, a de Jong type midfielder, and a rb?
No, not really. He worked with the likes of Huntelaar and Klassen which are similar to Cavani and Ronaldo in their playing style.

Pogba can play the De Jong role. I know it's a stretch, but I think he's suffering from the lack of a coherent tactical system as most of our players are.

You're right about the RB. Though a way I see him mitigating this is having AWB tuck on the inside as a DM in attack, while having someone like Fred push up the pitch instead of him. Actually he's using this tactic this season. His fullbacks turn into DM while his CMs push up.

The man is insanely adaptable. He lost De Jong he adapted. I'm 100% sure he'll find a working solution for our current squad.

Kaos

I’d prioritise winning at this stage. Give me Utd in 2013, who were a machine, over Arsenal around the same time where they played great football but never won the big trophies.
The Premier league landscape has drastically changed since 2013 though - City are frontrunners, as are Liverpool along with Chelsea. Signing Conte won't guarantee us transforming into the Trophy-gobbling powerhouse we used to be. Its a short term "fix" without even the guarantee of short term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.