• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flytan

No, not really. He worked with the likes of Huntelaar and Klassen which are similar to Cavani and Ronaldo in their playing style.

Pogba can play the De Jong role. I know it's a stretch, but I think he's suffering from the lack of a coherent tactical system as most of our players are.

You're right about the RB. Though a way I see him mitigating this is having AWB tuck on the inside as a DM in attack, while having someone like Fred push up the pitch instead of him. Actually he's using this tactic this season. His fullbacks turn into DM while his CMs push up.

The man is insanely adaptable. He lost De Jong he adapted. I'm 100% sure he'll find a working solution for our current squad.
Yeah the video said he used huntelaar and holler, so I would assume it was a strategic reason so we'd still want a player like that.

I'm fine if the board want ten hag long term (I think barca get him) but I don't think we can trod along with ole for the season. We need a change now. Caretaker until they can get their preferred guy or just give Conte the year and a fat sevrrence if we need to sack him.

I just think clearing out ole and his buddies is the most important thing right now even if it means having to spend a shit load more money that could be used on a transfer. There's still. Time to do stuff this season

Caesar2290

The Premier league landscape has drastically changed since 2013 though - City are frontrunners, as are Liverpool along with Chelsea. Signing Conte won't guarantee us transforming into the Trophy-gobbling powerhouse we used to be. Its a short term "fix" without even the guarantee of short term success.
Absolutely this and it's my main gripe with Conte. He will feck off in 2 years after clashing with our board because we didn't sign Lukaku or one of his target. Then we'll need another rebuild since most of our squad are going to be in 30's by then. And we'll be back to square one.

Devil may care

Van de Beek is gone
Martial isn't good enough and is gone
Mctominay is a squad option
Amad is a complete unknown quantity
Shaw is out of form who knows if he gets it back
Awb is a weak link.

Sancho would be great with Conte. Look at hazard. Don't care if martial is done.

Rest of squad: varane, needs to win now, maguire, needs to win now, Ronaldo, in twilight of career, De gea 33.

Our squad is 10th in age in the premier league. It isn't young
Three of those points are complete guesswork and the Shaw one is ridiculous, he's clearly not been fit since the Euros. A proper coach could get a lot more out of Martial and Van de Beek, and who knows with .McTominay as he's never played under a coach from this decade. Ronaldo is irrelevant, he's here 1 more year, you make it sound like Varane and Maguire are mid 30's and De Gea has years left him like most keepers, plus the idea that Conte is some guarentee of any success is nuts, Liverpool and City are streets ahead, it's going to take time, Conte is a timebomb, and one that plays dogshit football.

MUFC OK

The Premier league landscape has drastically changed since 2013 though - City are frontrunners, as are Liverpool along with Chelsea. Signing Conte won't guarantee us transforming into the Trophy-gobbling powerhouse we used to be. Its a short term "fix" without even the guarantee of short term success.
Nothing is guaranteed, it’s extremely competitive. I just don’t like oversimplifications but think conte gives us a better chance of winning, sooner. That’s my opinion.

Flytan

Three of those points are complete guesswork and the Shaw one is ridiculous, he's clearly not been fit since the Euros. A proper coach could get a lot more out of Martial and Van de Beek, and who knows with .McTominay as he's never played under a coach from this decade. Ronaldo is irrelevant, he's here 1 more year, you make it sound like Varane and Maguire are mid 30's and De Gea has years left him like most keepers, plus the idea that Conte is some guarentee of any success is nuts, Liverpool and City are streets ahead, it's going to take time, Conte is a timebomb, and one that plays dogshit football.
Martial has had 3 managers. He's a dud of a player. His career has peaked and he's done. Mctominay is limited, everyone knows this, don't know why you would disagree with that.
And again parroting the dog shit football lie which has been shown to be false.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I love this guy but he is a risk, just like any other manager. What experience does he have outside of Netherlands ? Does he has any experience managing big egos ? Would he come mid season? We shouldn't sacrifice this season at all. We have such a brilliant team at the right age and we need results now. Not next year!

Devil may care

Its because he wasn't used as a wingback, neither was Pedro. Both were used as wide attackers that would cut in (not too dissimilar to our wide forwards). The wingbacks provided the main width in their attacks.

So where does Bruno fit in here then? And that only works with a big striker who holds the ball up, we don't have that.

Hahah proved my point, and I don’t agree.
I didn't prove yoyr point, you said people looked at the formations and made their mind up, I'm saying we've seen their respective teams play plenty of times and it's clear that Ten Hag plays progressive, attacking football, Conte pkays defensive, boring football.

Kaos

Absolutely this and it's my main gripe with Conte. He will feck off in 2 years after clashing with our board because we didn't sign Lukaku or one of his target. Then we'll need another rebuild since most of our squad are going to be in 30's by then. And we'll be back to square one.
Yeah that's my concern too. He might grab us a consolation prize like the FA cup and possibly give us our best league points tally (without winning it, which I'm certain he won't within 2 years), and then piss off leaving us an ageing squad, and short term aged signings the next couple of managers will struggle to sell. I would really hope we actually try to emulate our rivals by hiring a more sustainable, progressive manager this time round. Don't care if it takes us 2-3 seasons to get to where we want to be.

Devil may care

Martial has had 3 managers. He's a dud of a player. His career has peaked and he's done. Mctominay is limited, everyone knows this, don't know why you would disagree with that.
And again parroting the dog shit football lie which has been shown to be false.
Martial has never played under an attack focused manager, he was damaged under Mourinho and then actually had a great season the one before last, I'm not writing him off before a decent coach has a crack at him. McTominay isn't a player I rate but I'm willing to give all players a chance under a real coach.

Has it feck been proven false, I've seen plenty of Conre at Chelsea and Inter and both were boring to watch.

Kaos

So where does Bruno fit in here then? And that onoy works with a big striker who holds the ball up, we don't have that.
Well Bruno would likely be a casualty, unless we adapt him into a deeper role, but that's a different discussion. I was refuting your point that our forwards and wingers would be sidelined under Conte - that's simply not true. Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood would have plenty of gametime being rotated across at the LW/RW roles, whereas Ronaldo/Cavani would be the target men.

In essence, it would make no difference than a Ten Hag front 3 - he'd still play the two wide forwards flanking a centre forward in his 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How can anybody want Ten Hag over Conte it boggles the mind
I’d be amazed if the majority didn’t tbh. Ten Hag has everything we should be looking for in a coach. Conte is a good option too but it isn’t chalk and cheese like you’re making out.

Flytan

Martial has never played under an attack focused manager, he was damaged under Mourinho and then actually had a great season the one before last, I'm not writing him off before a decent coach has a crack at him. McTominay isn't a player I rate but I'm willing to give all players a chance under a real coach.

Has it feck proven false, I've seen plenty of Conre at Chelsea and Inter and both were boring to watch.
Agreed, I just think martial has had that chance. Rest have a clean slate. If we didn't have like 5 left wingers maybe he gets another chance.

As for the new coach, I just think Conte is the guy. Especially since he's available

Devil may care

Well Bruno would likely be a casualty, unless we adapt him into a deeper role, but that's a different discussion. I was refuting your point that our forwards and wingers would be sidelined under Conte - that's simply not true. Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Greenwood would have plenty of gametime being rotated across at the LW/RW roles, whereas Ronaldo/Cavani would be the target men.

In essence, it would make no difference than a Ten Hag front 3 - he'd still play the two wide forwards flanking a centre forward.
The thing is his Inter side didn't use wide forwards and given our midfield options it's much more logical that he uses a 10 behind a front 2 who xan drop in to help the midfield.

Caesar2290

Yeah the video said he used huntelaar and holler, so I would assume it was a strategic reason so we'd still want a player like that.

I'm fine if the board want ten hag long term (I think barca get him) but I don't think we can trod along with ole for the season. We need a change now. Caretaker until they can get their preferred guy or just give Conte the year and a fat sevrrence if we need to sack him.

I just think clearing out ole and his buddies is the most important thing right now even if it means having to spend a shit load more money that could be used on a transfer. There's still. Time to do stuff this season
Considering we backed away from Conte yesterday despite him issuing a come and get me plea, it's safe to say that the board is also looking at the long term perspective.

Personally I think Barca are going to go for Xavi simply because of political and optical reasons. They need a figure to revitalize their club who also plays football the Barca way. Xavi ticks all the boxes. I think Ten Hag who is more reserved as a personality is viewed as a back up. That leaves us with a great chance.

Nothing is guaranteed, it’s extremely competitive. I just don’t like oversimplifications but think conte gives us a better chance of winning, sooner. That’s my opinion.
So what are we winning under Conte?

The PL? we're talking about a man who despite hundreds of millions of pounds invested in Inter still managed to finish behind a Sarri led Juve who were on it's last legs, to take on prime Pep and Klopp who are literally destroying the PL and CL.

The CL? What's his European record again? Right, the Europa League final, just like a certain United manager.

The Fa Cup? Well, let's bring back Van Gaal then

This idea that Conte gurantees anything is wishfull thinking. He will make us more competent though. But so will Ten Hag. And unlike Conte he's actually decent in Europe.

Kaos

The thing is his Inter side didn't use wide forwards and given our midfield options it's much more logical that he uses a 10 behind a front 2 who xan drop in to help the midfield.
You're right, he primarily used a 3-5-2 with Inter, but thats because it played to the strengths of his squad, while protecting its weaknesses. They had decent midfielders and WBs at Inter, so they could play with that formation. Contrary to what some might think, he's a relatively versatile manager. I think he'll realise our deficiencies and opt for a similar formation to his Chelsea one to make use of our attacking strengths.

Reynoldo

Yeah that's my concern too. He might grab us a consolation prize like the FA cup and possibly give us our best league points tally (without winning it, which I'm certain he won't within 2 years), and then piss off leaving us an ageing squad, and short term aged signings the next couple of managers will struggle to sell. I would really hope we actually try to emulate our rivals by hiring a more sustainable, progressive manager this time round. Don't care if it takes us 2-3 seasons to get to where we want to be.
They are great points really. Conte doesn’t guarantee success over the next couple of years with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel around. But if we give Ten Hag that time then there is a chance we are coming good once Pep and Klopp are on the way out/down

Devil may care

Agreed, I just think martial has had that chance. Rest have a clean slate. If we didn't have like 5 left wingers maybe he gets another chance.

As for the new coach, I just think Conte is the guy. Especially since he's available
Maybe but managers have turned worse players than Martial around, but we'll see under whomever the manager is.

His availability coupled with how bad Ole is, is driving the want for Conte imo, he's not Mr. Right, he's just Mr. Right Now because people have had enough of Ole. I'm done with Ole as well but I'm sick of watching tumescent football at United while City and Liverpool play fantastic stuff where they never back down and still win things, I'm fed up of counter attack football.

hungrywing

Wait a minute, are we sure we want this to happen?

If the Glazers/Woodsmidge actually manage to do something right, it might precipitate the collapse of the spacetime continuum.

Devil may care

You're right, he primarily used a 3-5-2 with Inter, but thats because it played to the strengths of his squad, while protecting its weaknesses. They had decent midfielders and WBs at Inter, so they could play with that formation. Contrary to what some might think, he's a relatively versatile manager. I think he'll realise our deficiencies and opt for a similar formation to his Chelsea one to make use of our attacking strengths.
At the expense of our defensive weaknesses? I doubt it, especially when Ronaldo is struggling to play as a loan 9, he's always had someone to play off, and whoever we have in the midfield 2 needs the protection a 3-5-2 offers imo.

lsd

The Oracle
Can you link or show anything that shows this squad is built for ten hag at all? It looks much closer to a Conte side than anyone else. The only thing we don't have is a rwb

Edit: nvm you think our squad is young, you really don't pay much attention

Quite confused with that too. Our squad is far from young

FerociousCorgis

have to believe if we keep with ole it is because they want a target like this. Although considering we originally brought in ole as a caretaker not sure why they are hesitant to do it again. JUST DONT RUSH AND GIVE A CONTRACT BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE HAPPY THE OLD GUY IS GONE

Kaos

At the expense of our defensive weaknesses? I doubt it, especially when Ronaldo is struggling to play as a loan 9, he's always had someone to play off, and whoever we have in the midfield 2 needs the protection a 3-5-2 offers imo.
I realistically think he'll switch it up between games. I can see him going 3-5-2 against stronger opposition to protect the midfield, and switch to a more attacking 3-4-3 against 'lesser' opposition. The point is I think our forwards will be fine as far as gametime's concerned.

MUFC OK

Considering we backed away from Conte yesterday despite him issuing a come and get me plea, it's safe to say that the board is also looking at the long term perspective.

Personally I think Barca are going to go for Xavi simply because of political and optical reasons. They need a figure to revitalize their club who also plays football the Barca way. Xavi ticks all the boxes. I think Ten Hag who is more reserved as a personality is viewed as a back up. That leaves us with a great chance.

The PL? we're talking about a man who despite hundreds of millions of pounds invested in Inter still managed to finish behind a Sarri led Juve who were on it's last legs, to take on prime Pep and Klopp who are literally destroying the PL and CL.

The CL? What's his European record again? Right, the Europa League final, just like a certain United manager.

This idea that Conte gurantees anything is wishfull thinking. He will make us more competent though. But so will Ten Hag. And unlike Conte he's actually decent in Europe.
Better pedigree than Ten Haag in my opinion, strange you mentioned inter when he just won their first title in 10 years and broke the Juve stranglehold.

I back Conte to take on Klopp and Giardiola with this squad.

MUFC OK

They are great points really. Conte doesn’t guarantee success over the next couple of years with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel around. But if we give Ten Hag that time then there is a chance we are coming good once Pep and Klopp are on the way out/down
Surely we can’t be planning 3 or so years down the line, we must have learnt that by now. I’m not against Ten Haag but don’t think we can make that assumption.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I love this guy but he is a risk, just like any other manager. What experience does he have outside of Netherlands ? Does he has any experience managing big egos ? Would he come mid season? We shouldn't sacrifice this season at all. We have such a brilliant team at the right age and we need results now. Not next year!
He managed Bayern Munich's second team during the Guardiola years. Bayern were also interested in signing him a few years ago for the first team, and they should know very well what he can do, but he did not want to leave mid season. At least answers some of your questions I hope.

ti vu

For those who want Ten Hag, as it seems unlikely for him to move midseason, would you take Ragnick as caretaker, then move him upstairs once there is foundation and Ten Hag become available? I meant it may mean writing of this season (again) given Ragnick may not get the necessary result for a title challenge. What he does is laying out the foundation, and identify issue which then work with the new head coach once he move to DOF position.

Kaos

Better pedigree than Ten Haag in my opinion, strange you mentioned inter when he just won their first title in 10 years and broke the Juve stranglehold.

The reality is I don't think any manager we hire can realistically take on those two at this point with our squad. Even if we managed to clone one of them, they'd still struggle to topple their respective teams. I'd rather we bring in Ten Hag for the purpose of positioning our squad to be better placed to compete in the long term, while playing attractive football and obliging our traditional commitment to promoting youth. And as already mentioned here, soon enough Klopp and Pep will have pissed off, putting us in a better position to assume pole position by then.

Kaos

For those who want Ten Hag, as it seems unlikely for him to move midseason, would you take Ragnick as caretaker, then move him upstairs once there is foundation and Ten Hag become available?
Yes. These are exactly the sort of progressive movements we should be making. I don't expect Ten Hag would join us midseason either, but we could put things in motion for the summer - just as City had done prior to Pep joining them. Heck Newcastle are attempting to do it now.

MalaysianRed7

If you want to discredit Conte, at least be fair. He won the FA Cup by beating us in the final after getting to the final as well the season before. Ole hasn’t done either of those things, and LvG won his by beating Palace and no top teams (still a trophy of course).

And even trying to make an argument to discredit his ability to win league titles is ridiculous. You say he lost to Sarri (I say he lost to Ronaldo), and I retort with the fact that he’s won a total of 5 league titles with his last 3 clubs. It’s an unbelievable record.

Only his European record is slightly iffy.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Reynoldo

Surely we can’t be planning 3 or so years down the line, we must have learnt that by now. I’m not against Ten Haag but don’t think we can make that assumption.
You’re right but this is also why it’s such a difficult decision. Right now and for next season or 2 Conte might be the best solution on paper but he’s still a risk and may win nothing with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel around and then where are we, do we then go for a progressive coach that will take another few years to implant his methods.

Devil may care

I realistically think he'll switch it up between games. I can see him going 3-5-2 against stronger opposition to protect the midfield, and switch to a more attacking 3-4-3 against 'lesser' opposition. The point is I think our forwards will be fine as far as gametime's concerned.
Fair enough, we'll see if he's appointed but the football will be dire either way, I've seen lots of his Chelsea and Inter games and have never wanted him anywhere near United, I'm hoping the fact Ole hasn't been sacked yet means the club realize he's the wrong type and will hold off.

lsd

The Oracle
He managed Bayern Munich's second team during the Guardiola years. Bayern were also interested in signing him a few years ago for the first team, and they should know very well what he can do, but he did not want to leave mid season. At least answers some of your questions I hope.

Ole managed United's second team during the Fergie years and United hired him for the first team.

Is managing the second team now a barometer for success?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ole managed United's second team during the Fergie years and United hired him for the first team.

Obviously not for success, I was just answering the question what experience he has outside of the Netherlands. And that is simply it, all other jobs he had were in the Netherlands.

Kaos

Fair enough, we'll see if he's appointed but the football will be dire either way, I've seen lots of his Chelsea and Inter games and have never wanted him anywhere near United, I'm hoping the fact Ole hasn't been sacked yet means the club realize he's the wrong type and will hold off.
I mean I'm in agreement, I don't want him as our manager personally, and I share your hope that our dithering is us holding out for the right appointment. But I don't think he'd be this Mourinho MKII nightmare appointment either, and think he could do a decent job for us.

Sviken

We're talking about a man that took a directionless Inter who were barren for 10 years and made them champions with the season before that losing the title on 1 point. We're talking about a man that dominated the PL with both Guardiola and Klopp in the league. We're talking about a man that revitalized Juve and made them a dominant force once again in Italian football. That's what we're talking about. You can talk shit about his European record and there'd be some merit to that, but as far as league performances go - he is unparallelled. I'd argue he is better than Guardiola and Klopp in that department. Will we win the league with him? That's impossible to say. There is no guaranteed success in football. But would we have a high chance of winning it? Yes.

What's his European record again? Right, the Europa League final, just like a certain United manager.
You're absolutely rigth about this. His European record is poor. But then again the teams he has taken over, except Chelsea, have generally not been the wealthiest of football teams. With United he won't have that problem. Still, a dark stain on his CV, but CL is the last thing we should worry about right now.
The Fa Cup?
Well, let's bring back Van Gaal then
I mean, we haven't won a trophy for 4 years, so... maybe that'll be an improvement?

No manager guarantees anything. Every team just shoots for who they think has the most chance of being successful. For us, now, that is Conte. You think Madrid, Bayern and Chelsea have some secret formula of knowing who is gonna be successful? No. What they have is a desire for success. If a manager delivers that success. Good. If not, he is on his way. This is how top teams are run. There's no romantic planning 20 years down the line. You either win or you don't.

Caesar2290

Yup. Considering that both Pep and Zidane got their breaks this way, it's definitely a way. The problem is persisting with said manager if he isn't pulling his weight.

Considering Juve finished 4th behind Milan and Atalanta, it's hard to call it "breaking". He did win the title though so credit is where credit is due.

Yet for some reason when Ten Hag does something similar at Ajax nobody takes him seriously. You do know that Ten Hag came into an Ajax side that hasn't won the title in 5 years and transformed them overnight into Champions? Or how about his European record? So far he has a better record than Conte(which you conviniently ignore). The man has SAF vibes about him. I'm not comparing the two but the similarities are there.

So in my book in the long run Ten Hag will outperform Conte at a top club 10 out 10. And by long run I mean 3-5 years

Caesar2290

We're talking about a man that took a directionless Inter who were barren for 10 years and made them champions with the season before that losing the title on 1 point. We're talking about a man that dominated the PL with both Guardiola and Klopp in the league. We're talking about a man that revitalized Juve and made them a dominant force once again in Italian football. That's what we're talking about. You can talk shit about his European record and there'd be some merit to that, but as far as league performances go - he is unparallelled. I'd argue he is better than Guardiola and Klopp in that department. Will we win the league with him? That's impossible to say. There is no guaranteed success in football. But would we have a high chance of winning it? Yes.
That's the issue I have with the bolded part. You'd think both Pep and Klopp had this mighty tast of taking on Conte and failed. In relity Pep was brand new to the PL, he finished 4th and everyone called him a blad fraud and that "he got found out in the PL". Klopp was still in the middle of assembling his Liverpool team. Suffice to say next season Pep will finish 30 points above Conte, and so will Jose Mourinho by 11 points who will be criticised and deemed not good enough.

When talking about Pep and Klopp I mean current Pep and Klopp who can go to 100 points a season. I don't see a point in hiring a manager that will merely improve our point tally, bring us a couple of veterans than clash with Woody in 1 year because he didn't buy Lukaku and then feck off. Not worth it.

And speaking of Juve, wasn't it Patricci their DOF who started their renaissance? And didn't Juve continue winning something like 9 on the trot even after Conte left?

Great manager, don't get me wrong, but the way some of you talk about him is you'd think he's Sir Alex at Aberdeen.

Grande

Do you know why he went from Bayern second team to Utrecht? Best job he could get? I think he became both head coach and sporting director, so it’s not bad I guess. Utrecht is a decent team. From what I gathered he had the best results of any Bayern II head coach this millenium.

Caesar2290

Do you know why he went from Bayern second team to Utrecht? Best job he could get? I think he became both head coach and sporting director, so it’s not bad I guess. Utrecht is a decent team. From what I gathered he had the best results of any Bayern II head coach this millenium.
All managers have to start somewhere. Didn't Sir Alex start at Kilmarnock or something like that?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He made first and second place in the fourth league with Bayern, but failed in the promotion playoffs to the third league.

Holger Seitz brought them to the third league in 18/19 and Sebastian Hoeneß even won the third league in 19/20, so I would not say ten Hag had the best results with that team, don't know where you got that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.