Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Conte is a doorstop option.
Ten Hag is a long term option.
Oh feck me here we go again. When will people learn that no-one is a doorstop option or long-term option.
There are simply managers, and if those managers succeed and show quick progress, they will have the option to remain at the club for longer. If they don’t, they’ll be gone and another guy will get a chance.

Strelok

But would it be more beneficial for us as a club to take the Bayern approach or the Madrid one, under the Glazers? I think i'm leaning towards the Bayern approach.
You seriously believe we could embrace the Bayern approach under the Glazers :lol: ?

DickDastardly

Oh feck me here we go again. When will people learn that no-one is a doorstop option or long-term option.
There are simply managers, and if those managers succeed and show quick progress, they will have the option to remain at the club for longer. If they don’t, they’ll be gone and another guy will get a chance.
I'm just going by FACHTS.

Conte - 2 years at Bari. 1 year at Atalanta. 1 year at Siena. 3 years at Juve. 2 years as national coach. 2 years at Chelsea. 2 years at Inter.

And he succeeds. Wins titles.

Still doesnt stay put. What do we call him if not a doorstop option? I'm open to suggestions.

Caesar2290

But there are. It has to be based on success though

Certain managers will feck off after 2-3 years even if they win the Treble(looking at Conte and Mourinho)
Certain managers will stay as long as they're succesful(looking at Klopp, Pep and hopefully Ten Hag)

We want to avoid the first route and try to get to the second one.

EtH

Conte is the very definition of a doorstop option.

Tony247

Very strong links Ten Hag taking over Barca job next season. Newcastle new owners will try for him too it seems.

I don't think he will leave till end of season. But if he is ready then for united time is NOW OR NEVER.

JohnnyLaw

I agree. Good post.

Ten Haag is a good prospect but he has just as many - probably more - question marks over his head than other options.
Ten Hag presents more upsides to me. Conte hasn’t lasted more than 3 years at any club and has fallen out at most of them. As good a manager as is there’s no guarantee he’ll be able to topple Klopp and Guardiola in the league to make it worthwhile, and he’s unlikely to take kindly to the way the club is run.

No one will give a damn about an FA cup, Conte and LvG both got sacked winning it, even Arteta has won one.

Even if he doesn’t win anything ETH is at least likelier to have a positive affect on the team than Conte IMO. ETH has faced adversity and pushed on through it whereas Conte’s never seemed willing to.

ETH isn’t a too dissimilar prospect to Tuchel at PSG who actually tops the league currently. Tuchel only had the french league wrapped up (with PSG) and a DfB pokal to his name up until he joined Chelsea.

Certain managers will feck off after 2-3 years even if they win the Treble(looking at Conte and Mourinho)
Certain managers will stay as long as they're succesful(looking at Klopp, Pep and hopefully Ten Hag)

Why will Ten Hag stay if successful? What's that based on? How do we know he wouldn't jump ship to Barca in 3 years time once their finances are sorted?

Conte got fired from Chelsea, he's left Inter because well, he's got some self respect. How on Earth do you know he wouldn't stay here for 5-6 years if successful and backed?

Don't get me wrong, Ten Hag is my first choice, but that's based on what I think he could bring now, it has feck all to do with whether he'll be here in 5 years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You seriously believe we could embrace the Bayern approach under the Glazers :lol: ?
The Bayern approach isn't difficult because you have a footballing department which is separate from the board. Salihamidzic runs the football side and the board gets involved when it comes to players incoming /outgoing.it's a very simple approach, but the most important piece of the puzzle is the Head Coach. And we saw a few years ago when Kovac was fired and his assistant (Flick) replaced him, many Bayern fans wanted Salihamidzic fired too, but Flick in the same season won the league and Champions League.

hungrywing

Quick someone start a “Brendan is shit” thread.
Add a Rodgers vs Ten Hag poll. This is deadly serious. If the Glazerlings indeed are monitoring fan sentiment, a-la the below post, we’d be as stupid as they’ve been - actually even more stupid - to pass up the opportunity out of ignorance or even spite. If they’re asking for and welcoming input, give it to them.

It's working! Don't let up lads! :devil:

Caesar2290

Why will Ten Hag stay if successful? What's that based on? How do we know he wouldn't jump ship to Barca in 3 years time once their finances are sorted?

Conte got fired from Chelsea, he's left Inter because well, he's got some self respect. How on Earth do you know he wouldn't stay here for 5-6 years if successful and backed?

Don't get me wrong, Ten Hag is my first choice, but that's based on what I think he could bring now, it has feck all to do with whether he'll be here in 5 years.
We don't know, do we. He turned down Spurs.(not a great feat), plus listening to his press conferences you get a clear idea that this man is about building a project not for the short term.

Re: Conte. See the reply below
I'm just going by FACHTS.

Conte - 2 years at Bari. 1 year at Atalanta. 1 year at Siena. 3 years at Juve. 2 years as national coach. 2 years at Chelsea. 2 years at Inter.

And he succeeds. Wins titles.

Still doesnt stay put. What do we call him if not a doorstop option? I'm open to suggestions.

Caesar2290

Add a Rodgers vs Ten Hag poll. This is deadly serious. If the Glazerlings indeed are monitoring fan sentiment, a-la the below post, we’d be as stupid as they’ve been - actually even more stupid - to pass up the opportunity out of ignorance or even spite. If they’re asking for and welcoming input, give it to them.
There is one in the "Next Manager" thread. Ten Hag is dominating every option there, including Conte and Zidane. Rodgers is a non entity.

I imagine Rodgers is our back up to Ten Hag(shudders)

Strelok

The Bayern approach isn't difficult because you have a footballing department which is separate from the board. Salihamidzic runs the football side and the board gets involved when it comes to players incoming /outgoing.it's a very simple approach, but the most important piece of the puzzle is the Head Coach. And we saw a few years ago when Kovac was fired and his assistant (Flick) replaced him, many Bayern fans wanted Salihamidzic fired too, but Flick in the same season won the league and Champions League.
Ok the Bayern approach isn't difficult, especially with the Glazers and Richard Arnold as our CEO :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ok the Bayern approach isn't difficult, especially with the Glazers and Richard Arnold as our CEO :lol:
It was difficult pre 2018, because we didn't have a structure to match a club like Bayern. We have added a extra almost 100 people since, who work in the recruitment department. And the guys at the top like Bout, Murtough, de Regt, Court and Lawlor etc head the football department. Bayern's setup is simple and isn't difficult to replicate at the recruitment level.

Sviken

Ok, but that's not fair, even to Mourinho. Mourinho left Inter for Madrid, understandable. Even at the time Inter couldn't hope to compete with the Spanish giants or English football. And from what I remember the owner achieved what he set out to achieve and wasn't gonna spend anymore.

Conte's only real, unjustified falling out was with Juventus. I'd argue he rightly told Inter and Roman to feck off. You think, if Ten Hag comes here, would just be a "yes, sir" to the Glazers? He'll have ambitions, all top managers do. The only reason Klopp and Guardiola are still at their respective clubs is because they've been given everything or almost everything they wanted to. People have to understand that there are no long-term or short-term options in football. Managers are either successful or not. If they are and they are happy at the club, they stay. If they're not happy or not delivering results, they are sacked or leave. It's that simple. Guardiola's tenure at jobs have been 4 years, 3 years and now going 5 years with City and giving hints that he is about to leave. Not really that long-term, is he? Klopp himself has almost more or less confirmed that he is leaving Liverpool at the end of his contract and taking a break. Ironically, only SImeone seems to be what United fans desire of a "long-term" manager and even he switched places left and right before finding his place at Atletico.

We need to be run like a big club. Managers are here to be successful. If they are and they keep that success, they can stay for as long as they like. If not, they can go. This is how Bayern and Madrid are run and everyone here constantly praises them for good manager. Bayern and Madrid circle through managers like candy, but it works. Why? Because often times a manager will not work, even if successful at his prior jobs. But when an appointment works, you get a treble or something special. That's how success is bred at those clubs. We need to adopt that approach and stop with the romantic feeling of DNA's and what not. Never gonna achieve anything in football that way. SAF came to us with a massive success on his back and had no affiliation with the club. He was not a former player, he was not connected to the players or management here, he was not a fan, he didn't know shit of the "United Way", but we went out and got him, and we hit the jackpot with that. There won't be another SAF, that's true, we won't dominate the league like that ever again, but we have to adopt that same approach we did back then if we want to be successful. If we still rely on the idea that any manager that comes here has to stay here for 10 years and emulate SAF, well, we're never going to achieve absolutely anything, despite the money we have.

ConteIsLife

RodgersIsLife was taken
Why are fans more obsessed with 'long term' more than actually winning anything? It's the most annoying requirement people seem to have.

Ten Hag plays 'attacking football' even though Conte's Inter outscored him last season in the leagues and Conte's record blows him out the water with Ten Hag's most impressive thing being getting to a CL semi final a few years ago.

Ten Hag = Dutch = Attack
Conte = Italian = Defence

Only this club could actually not get Conte when he's available and wanting to come, it's unbelievable.

Strelok

It was difficult pre 2018, because we didn't have a structure to match a club like Bayern. We have added a extra almost 100 people since, who work in the recruitment department. And the guys at the top like Bout, Murtough, de Regt, Court and Lawlor etc head the football department. Bayern's setup is simple and isn't difficult to replicate at the recruitment level.
You forgot the most important part mate.

The biggest guy at Bayern is always a football guy. Ours is always an accountant.

Their most important goal is football. Ours is money.

Ok, but that's not fair, even to Mourinho. Mourinho left Inter for Madrid, understandable. Even at the time Inter couldn't hope to compete with the Spanish giants or English football. And from what I remember the owner achieved what he set out to achieve and wasn't gonna spend anymore.

Conte's only real, unjustified falling out was with Juventus. I'd argue he rightly told Inter and Roman to feck off. You think, if Ten Hag comes here, would just be a "yes, sir" to the Glazers? He'll have ambitions, all top managers do. The only reason Klopp and Guardiola are still at their respective clubs is because they've been given everything or almost everything they wanted to. People have to understand that there are no long-term or short-term options in football. Managers are either successful or not. If they are and they are happy at the club, they stay. If they're not happy or not delivering results, they are sacked or leave. It's that simple. Guardiola's tenure at jobs have been 4 years, 3 years and now going 5 years with City and giving hints that he is about to leave. Not really that long-term, is he? Klopp himself has almost more or less confirmed that he is leaving Liverpool at the end of his contract and taking a break. Ironically, only SImeone seems to be what United fans desire of a "long-term" manager and even he switched places left and right before finding his place at Atletico.

We need to be run like a big club. Managers are here to be successful. If they are and they keep that success, they can stay for as long as they like. If not, they can go. This is how Bayern and Madrid are run and everyone here constantly praises them for good manager. Bayern and Madrid circle through managers like candy, but it works. Why? Because often times a manager will not work, even if successful at his prior jobs. But when an appointment works, you get a treble or something special. That's how success is bred at those clubs. We need to adopt that approach and stop with the romantic feeling of DNA's and what not. Never gonna achieve anything in football that way. SAF came to us with a massive success on his back and had no affiliation with the club. He was not a former player, he was not connected to the players or management here, he was not a fan, he didn't know shit of the "United Way", but we went out and got him, and we hit the jackpot with that. There won't be another SAF, that's true, we won't dominate the league like that ever again, but we have to adopt that same approach we did back then if we want to be successful. If we still rely on the idea that any manager that comes here has to stay here for 10 years and emulate SAF, well, we're never going to achieve absolutely anything, despite the money we have.
Bang on the money.

All we should be thinking about now is getting someone in to coach this current squad to success, if that manager is then a happy fella and keeps being successful and wants to stay, bonus. If not, you move on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You forgot the most important part mate.

The biggest guy at Bayern is always a football guy. Ours is always an accountant.

Their most important goal is football. Ours is money.
Our biggest problem post Fergie was not having the foresight to have structural and data support for the Head Coach which has now come to pass. Liverpool have Peter Moore as CEO since 2017 ,who worked for Microsoft previously and it didn't stop them winning the league and Champions League under a business first approach from the board.

Caesar2290

Why are fans more obsessed with 'long term' more than actually winning anything? It's the most annoying requirement people seem to have.

Ten Hag plays 'attacking football' even though Conte's Inter outscored him last season in the leagues and Conte's record blows him out the water with
That's a lie. Ajax scored 102 goals in 34 matches or an average 3 goals per game. Where as Inter did 89 in 38 or 2.34 goals per game. A big difference my friend.

The only reason Conte's record is so good is because he had the chance to actually manage top teams. Ten Hag is no mug either. He already has the double double i.e. League+Cup in consecutive seasons.

Ten Hag's most impressive thing being getting to a CL semi final a few years ago.
More impressive than Conte has ever achieved in Europe, and with a much inferior squad as well might I add. His performance against Dortmund is far better than anything Conte put out in Europe.

Strelok

Our biggest problem post Fergie was not having the foresight to have structural and data support for the Head Coach which has now come to pass. Liverpool have Peter Moore as CEO since 2017 ,who worked for Microsoft previously and it didn't stop them winning the league and Champions League under a business first approach from the board.
Then I'd say we should follow Liverpool's approach and find our Klopp. But we really need to cut off the Disneyland shite first.

I'm no expert in Germain football but afaik their model, their situation is pretty unique and very different to ours. So their goal. You simply can't follow someone's route if you have a different destination I think.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Then I'd say we should follow Liverpool's approach and find our Klopp. But we really need to cut off the Disneyland shite first.

I'm no expert in Germain football but afaik their model, their situation is pretty unique and very different to ours. So their goal. You simply can't follow someone's else route if you have a different destination I think.
The reason Klopp took the Liverpool job was because of their structure which was data driven according to journos who follow the club. Klopp was very impressed and embraced Michael Edwards and his team. And the late Gerard Houllier is credited with getting the ball rolling as far as putting in place mechanisms which would later help Michael Edwards modernise the club. And this same Michael Edwards was a laughing stock before Klopp arrived.

We don't need to follow anyone's route per say but the key to success is the recruitment department and the Head Coach being on the same page when it comes to recruitment and long term vision of the club. There's plenty of talent at the club which requires a top class Head Coach to develop towards winning trophies.

Highfather_24

Yeah and I'm very wary of these "long term" managers now. We already have a superb team, with 1-2 gaps, which any top manager can play around. Tuchel did not need 2-3 years to make the Chelsea team into winners. If Ten Hag comes, we need to target immediate success, because the team is good enough for that.

Sadly I think Ten Hag is a big risk, and considering that we have the best squad we have in years, I dont want to waste it on Ole or a risk like Ten Hag. I say give it to Conte for 18 months and see how it does, and go from there. If it doesnt work, sack him.

Grande

He made first and second place in the fourth league with Bayern, but failed in the promotion playoffs to the third league.

Holger Seitz brought them to the third league in 18/19 and Sebastian Hoeneß even won the third league in 19/20, so I would not say ten Hag had the best results with that team, don't know where you got that from?
I think I saw some stats that he had the highest win percentage of Bayern II since 2000. I can’t think of the source, but it’s not in direct contradiction.with what you say, if he won the fourth league but lost a knock-out qualifier, he might still have higher win percentage than acoach who wins promotion.

Maybe he was just unlucky, or maybe he has the Guardiola issue of being better at wnning the regular game than the particular final? Just guessing, really.

Highfather_24

Conte has been succesful in multiple teams, in multiple countries. Ten Hag has been succesful in Ajax, under a very good CEO and DOF.

We dont need a "project manager for 5 years". We already have a great squad. We need a manager who can coach us well and make us into winners. We can get one of these "project managers" later when we are rebuilding our squad again/in transition. I know people want to find the next Klopp, but it doesnt always work that way.

I have my doubts over Ten Hag. He has never managed such a big club with big star players. People here always hype up unknown "progressive" managers most of who end up in obscurity, so I have my doubts. I dont want us to waste this squad on someone who is a big risk and will be learning on the job.

Highfather_24

We absolutely have the squad for possession football. And don't be surprised if ten Hag does arrive to see the emergence of one or three brilliant teenagers at the club.
Good luck trying to play a pressing game with Ronaldo up top.

Caesar2290

Conte has been succesful in multiple teams, in multiple countries. Ten Hag has been succesful in Ajax, under a very good CEO and DOF.

We dont need a "project manager for 5 years". We already have a great squad. We need a manager who can coach us well and make us into winners. We can get one of these "project managers" later when we are rebuilding our squad again/in transition. I know people want to find the next Klopp, but it doesnt always work that way.

I have my doubts over Ten Hag. He has never managed such a big club with big star players. People here always hype up unknown "progressive" managers most of who end up in obscurity, so I have my doubts. I dont want us to waste this squad on someone who is a big risk and will be learning on the job.
Hardly unknown.

Also, where does the myth that Ten Hag needs x amount of time to make us competitive come from? He turned Ajax from team that hasn't won the league in 5 seasons into serious contenders midseason. That CL run in 2018-2019 was his first full season in charge. He's done the Double Double since. The man is ultra competitive and has an elite mindset. The idea that he's some kind of Ole or Moyes regen is insulting.

And tell me, before Chelsea would you have taken a certain Tuchel that had his biggest highlight as winning a couple of French leagues and winning a cup with Dortmund?

gajender

Better pedigree than Ten Haag in my opinion, strange you mentioned inter when he just won their first title in 10 years and broke the Juve stranglehold.

I back Conte to take on Klopp and Giardiola with this squad.
I back him to actually win the title within next 2 years at worst against them . When it comes to league I only put Guardiola as definite upgrade on him he is in the same bracket as Klopp and Tuchel . Anyway we need to get away from this mindset that Guardiola and Klopp are simply unbeatable forces and there aren't managers who could compete against them.

RedorDead21

Most just want him because he is the flavour of the month, and his reputation is being inflated because people are always attracted to the unknown.

For a Manchester United manager, name and personality goes a long way. This man has all the charisma of an egg. I can already imagine the headlines when things aren't going well.
Agreed but that’s what all fans are like. We wanted Ole as it was generally believed the players would not have more power than they did under Mou. I personally thought right no more hiding, no chance of “throwing ole under the bus” just because you don’t wanna give your all. But ultimately the manager always is to blame. Fans have now turned on him, perhaps rightly. Doesn’t matter if they have genuine concerns over his tactics (assume our players thought the same about the previous 3 managers as well) or because the manager can’t motivate…no real difference in terms of outcome . Ole for example was regarded although not with a great CV, as a watcher of the game (literally for most of his career), intelligent amongst his contemporaries for sure, and even muted as a director of football material mainly because of the latter even just months ago. I knew he might not be a master tactician, but could he learn the modern tactics used, like when to press and when to not, much of which I can’t grasp listening to pep and klopp rambling about it’s intricacies in the odd interview…I’d wager Ole is up to that. On the field it’s a mess though and he’s had ample time to learn it. He should have brought in a top coach to teach the team and him how. He could still but won’t as Neville pointed out. It’s just not a move they would do. We’ll move on, Ten Hag or whomever but it’s as much as a stab in the dark as Ole was.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good luck trying to play a pressing game with Ronaldo up top.
Ten Hag can also switch to a man marking ploy high up the pitch to force the oppo to hit it long behind our CBs in the space which Varane can dominate. He can also press high with Bruno shepherding the CB towards the oppo wide receiver (say LB) who would then be swarmed by our RWF, RCM, RB in a 3 pronged Wolf pack like attack, whilst the two CBs and the rest of the players would close off the space to prevent a easy out. It all comes down to coordination.

EtH

I back him to actually win the title within next 2 years at worst against them . When it comes to league I only put Guardiola as definite upgrade on him he is in the same bracket as Klopp and Tuchel . Anyway we need to get away from this mindset that Guardiola and Klopp are simply unbeatable forces and there aren't managers who could compete against them.
What ?! Conte might be comparable to Tuchel (maybe), but Klopp is levels above him. I wouldn’t back us to win anything but a domestic cup with Conte. He would be totally outclassed by the current level of competition in the PL and his CL record is appalling.

MayfieldsFinest

The problem with Conte is that the current squad doesn't match his preferred approach. He plays 3 at the back with two attacking full backs, 2 eights, no 10 and battering ram strikers. It would mean another overhaul.

Ten Hag plays with 4-2-3-1 which mostly suits the squad we have. He would be my choice.

gajender

What ?! Conte might be comparable to Tuchel (maybe), but Klopp is levels above him. I wouldn’t back us to win anything but a domestic cup with Conte. He would be totally outclassed by the current level of competition in the PL and his CL record is appalling.
No he isn't atleast when it comes to league he is more than capable of going toe to toe with them and coming up trump. Both Klopp and Guardiola are great managers but they aren't unbeatable in the league but somehow our fanbase has convinced themselves that they are may be it makes it easier to digest the fact when we don't compete with them .
Though I don't think Tuchel Chelsea are that great but they do have chance this season and if they do win would you still continue to believe United under better manager would not have any chance to beat City and Liverpool to the title.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
2. Bayern already has history of success with managers with similar style of play in van Gaal and Guardiola ie. team oriented mentality, high defensive line, compact shape, possession etc
Sounds like every successful team in the modern era.

It's not about how old he is but what he and his contemporaries have achieved around the same age. He has won virtually feck all. 2 times champion in Netherlands? Ole also 2 time champion in Norway. feck ALL.
>longevity
Kek this is the same argument for giving Ole and Moyes the job. We should give 0 feck about longevity. Like I said, win NOW.
>system
Kek what system? I have 0 idea about any manager's system and I don't believe for a second any poster on this forum do either. Watching a few youtube videos and reading a couple of blog posts don't make anyone a football expert. So please spare me your nonsense.
How can he win anything else? He's managing Ajax. They did brilliantly in the CL, they were cruising through the EL last year when they had to play their 3rd GK, an academy lad that had multiple massive, massive stinkers (and would still have went to the semi had Tadic buried his penalty). They demolished Lille (the ligue 1 champions) in the previous fixtures. Dortmund and Sporting just now.

They're playing better football than us, with better results internationally despite (comparatively) few resources and a much weaker squad.

The domestic results are completely unheard of and ETH is getting these results despite selling their best players from the brilliant CL side with the exception of Tadic.

Yet you expect him to win the CL with Ajax in the 21st century before even considering him?

Highfather_24

Also, where does the myth that Ten Hag needs x amount of time to make us competitive come from?

And tell me, before Chelsea would you have taken a certain Tuchel that had his biggest highlight as winning a couple of French leagues and winning a cup with Dortmund?
There is a huge doubt whether he can make us competitive again, let alone in less time. His only experience is with Ajax, under a well run club, in the dutch league. I'm skeptical. Zero experience with big clubs and big players.

Interesting you bring up Tuchel, because he hardly plays the attacking football either which is the reason many are turning their nose up at Conte.

Ten Hag can also switch to a man marking ploy high up the pitch to force the oppo to hit it long behind our CBs in the space which Varane can dominate. He can also press high with Bruno shepherding the CB towards the oppo wide receiver (say LB) who would then be swarmed by our RWF, RCM, RB in a 3 pronged Wolf pack like attack, whilst the two CBs and the rest of the players would close off the space to prevent a easy out. It all comes down to coordination.
Again, good luck with "man marking ploy" with Ronaldo up top. Interesting that you say that Varane can dominate long balls behind CBs, while if they play it to Maguire's side, we will be caught with our pants down.

Very difficult to play this high pressing high line game that a lot here get a hard on thinking about, while you have the likes of Maguire, AWB, Ronaldo, Greenwood etc in the team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There is a huge doubt whether he can make us competitive again, let alone in less time. His only experience is with Ajax, under a well run club, in the dutch league. I'm skeptical. Zero experience with big clubs and big players.

Interesting you bring up Tuchel, because he hardly plays the attacking football either which is the reason many are turning their nose up at Conte.

Again, good luck with "man marking ploy" with Ronaldo up top. Interesting that you say that Varane can dominate long balls behind CBs, while if they play it to Maguire's side, we will be caught with our pants down.

Very difficult to play this high pressing high line game that a lot here get a hard on thinking about, while you have the likes of Maguire, AWB, Ronaldo, Greenwood etc in the team.
It wouldn't be a issue with Ronaldo and i've explained two potential scenarios.

There is no Maguire's side when having a high back-line because the cover defender can cover both sides.

Highfather_24

If you believe 37 year old Ronaldo will suddenly start defending using "man marking ploys", and strikers like Vardy wont exploit Maguire in a highline regardless of who's next to him, I dont know what to tell you :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.