• Yes

Votes: 1,547 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 129 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

My God, he's harder to understand in Dutch than English and I've living in Dutchland for 2 decades :lol:
Could it be he speaks better English than Dutch. I've seen his English interviews and they are no different from any other foreigner with a decent understanding of English

Swedish_Plumber

Should only come in if he’s guaranteed the same kind of sound ‘football men’ above him that he has at Ajax.
He won’t get that as we appear to have replaced Woodward with Woodward lite.

Roboc7

He should be under consideration at least but I just can’t see us going for him unless he has an exceptional season at Ajax.

At the moment I suspect it’s between Rodgers and Poch for who gets to succeed Ole but am hoping someone else emerges this season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My God, he's harder to understand in Dutch than English and I've living in Dutchland for 2 decades :lol:
He mumbles a bit, but I didn't have any issue with it. (I grew up in the Netherlands, of course.)

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He should be under consideration at least but I just can’t see us going for him unless he has an exceptional season at Ajax.

At the moment I suspect it’s between Rodgers and Poch for who gets to succeed Ole but am hoping someone else emerges this season.
If (when) we get knocked out of the CL, I will be hoping Ajax win it just so he gets more attention from our board.

Roboc7

If (when) we get knocked out of the CL, I will be hoping Ajax win it just so he gets more attention from our board.
Me too or even just knocking out one of the other English teams might get some attention. Maybe the boards lack of planning and fickle nature might work in our favour for a change of someone like Ten Hav grabs their attention.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Does Ten Hag have the Dutch equivalent of a scouse accent or something?

I've heard people mention his accent being funny a few times now.

Cloud7

With Howe signing for Newcastle we should have a free run at him if we do decide to move away from the wheel

Dante

Average bang
If we were after Rodgers, it would be all done by now. Leicester have nothing to play for, and there's nothing to stop their manager from leaving tomorrow.

The fact that nothing has been agreed suggests that Ole's replacement will be somebody who's currently unattainable. So we're just biding our time until an official contract can be signed with our main target.

That doesn't mean it'll definitely be Ten Hag. But I think he's a hell of a lot more likely than Rodgers.

bosskeano

After how Donny has been treated, I see little chance of Ajax allowing him to leave and take over at United

Nero

i'm sure that was a joke b/c you know damn well it would
Yeah, I'm sure Ajax would base their decision on whether to allow a manager to leave on the fact that an ex-player sits on the bench.

BorisManUtd

If we were after Rodgers, it would be all done by now. Leicester have nothing to play for, and there's nothing to stop their manager from leaving tomorrow.

The fact that nothing has been agreed suggests that Ole's replacement will be somebody who's currently unattainable. So we're just biding our time until an official contract can be signed with our main target.

That doesn't mean it'll definitely be Ten Hag. But I think he's a hell of a lot more likely than Rodgers.
Our board has been in contact with Pochettino probably since 2016 when they were to sack LvG, they obviously went with Mourinho but I'm sure they contacted Poch at least. And they definitely got in contact with him when Mourinho was about to be sacked/soon after he was sacked, so after at least 3 years of contact I reckon they'd prefer Pochettino above others. Ten Hag is doing great at Ajax but I could imagine him more at Barca/City/Bayern, actually i'm sure he'll sooner or later end up at at least one of those 3 clubs. Not that I want to spread pessimism or anything but it's my thinking based on decision making at United over last 8 years or so.

King Kendrick

Our board has been in contact with Pochettino probably since 2016 when they were to sack LvG, they obviously went with Mourinho but I'm sure they contacted Poch at least. And they definitely got in contact with him when Mourinho was about to be sacked/soon after he was sacked, so after at least 3 years of contact I reckon they'd prefer Pochettino above others. Ten Hag is doing great at Ajax but I could imagine him more at Barca/City/Bayern, actually i'm sure he'll sooner or later end up at at least one of those 3 clubs. Not that I want to spread pessimism or anything but it's my thinking based on decision making at United over last 8 years or so.
I've seen this notion peddled lot.. genuine question why do you think that is?

Caesar2290

That's my thinking as well. It's either Poch or Ten Hag. My guess is that after last night Ten Hag is in pole position.

While you do make some good points, I think the Poch train has left the station a while back. He was probably our No.1 to take over after Ole's interim stint, but such is life. It was his best chance of becoming our manager.

I imagine his PSG stint hasn't exactly impressed our board. With morale being so low our higher ups will definitely look for a more popular choice amongst the fans and players.

Ten Hag is arguably the best bet they have of ticking 10 boxes with 1 manager.

BorisManUtd

Style-wise, he would fit at those clubs. Of course, there's no guarantee he'll succeed outside Netherlands (his stats in CL are impressive as well though) so he still might be another Koeman. Though Koeman did finish at Barca anyways :D
That's my thinking as well. It's either Poch or Ten Hag. My guess is that after last night Ten Hag is in pole position.

While you do make some good points, I think the Poch train has left the station a while back. He was probably our No.1 to take over after Ole's interim stint, but such is life. It was his best chance of becoming our manager.

I imagine his PSG stint hasn't exactly impressed our board. With morale being so low our higher ups will definitely look for a more popular choice amongst the fans and players.

Ten Hag is arguably the best bet they have of ticking 10 boxes with 1 manager.
You may be right, time will tell. But whoever it is, ten Hag, Poch or Rodgers, if it goes horribly, sack them and get another manager in 2023 (by that time likes of Enrique and Mancini who are popular should be free). There's all talk about managers needing time but surely a preseason and few months of competitive football is enough to instill a certain style of football and get some good results.

Cloud7

Fits the Barcelona mold of football. Also fits the City mold which seems to be trying to emulate Barcelona. And Bayern take chances on promising young managers like Nagelsmann. Ten Haag would be my first choice as well, but it is easier to imagine him at another club than our board hiring him. I would love to be proven wrong.

macheda14

There's all talk about managers needing time but surely a preseason and few months of competitive football is enough to instill a certain style of football and get some good results.
As we've seen with Tuchel you seemingly only need a week.

the_cliff

Or you know, they want to persist with Ole. Despite all the signs pointing to him being inadequate.

King Kendrick

Fits the Barcelona mold of football. Also fits the City mold which seems to be trying to emulate Barcelona. And Bayern take chances on promising young managers like Nagelsmann. Ten Haag would be my first choice as well, but it is easier to imagine him at another club than our board hiring him. I would love to be proven wrong.
But that's my issue though. Why can't we play like that? Just because our last two managers have been counter-attacking doesn't mean the players cant adapt. I've already made a detailed post on this a few pages back, but besides for a true Matic-like DM and swapping Ronnie for Edi in the big games, the team is set up exactly how ETH would like. No need to swap out fullbacks, or a major squad overhaul.
Regardless, I see where you're coming from in the bolded. The fact that Brendan is being considered is just depressing, really cant trust the board to run a fecking bath, let alone this club.

USREDEVIL

Or you know, they want to persist with Ole. Despite all the signs pointing to him being inadequate.
They can't be that tone deaf can they? No disrespect to Ole but apart from his mates (who even now are turning) most of the footballing world is shocked he's still here.

el3mel

They can't be that tone deaf can they? No disrespect to Ole but apart from his mates (who even now are turning) most of the footballing world is shocked he's still here.
Well, they're. In their eyes everything is fine now after last 2 games.

passing-wind

After how Donny has been treated, I see little chance of Ajax allowing him to leave and take over at United
Those two variables have absolutely no correlation. The person who decides DVB playing time would have been sacked if the club go for Ten Hag.

the_cliff

I would certainly hope not. But I wouldn't be surprised at all. He survived a 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool he can survive anything. They seem happy to give him the season and if let's say he wins the FA cup and finishes in the top 4 he'll be here again, there's no doubt in my mind.

Cloud7

But that's my issue though. Why can't we play like that? Just because our last two managers have been counter-attacking doesn't mean the players cant adapt. I've already made a detailed post on this a few pages back, but besides for a true Matic-like DM and swapping Ronnie for Edi in the big games, the team is set up exactly how ETH would like. No need to swap out fullbacks, or a major squad overhaul.
Regardless, I see where you're coming from in the bolded. The fact that Brendan is being considered is just depressing, really cant trust the board to run a fecking bath, let alone this club.
Don’t get me wrong, I wish we could play like that. For me possession football is the pinnacle. The most excited I’ve been post SAF is when we hired Vangle and I thought we were going to head in that direction. We definitely have the majority of the players to play a game like that, but I simply cannot see the club actually going after him as manager. What I want and what I think they will do are very different.

King Kendrick

Don’t get me wrong, I wish we could play like that. For me possession football is the pinnacle. The most excited I’ve been post SAF is when we hired Vangle and I thought we were going to head in that direction. We definitely have the majority of the players to play a game like that, but I simply cannot see the club actually going after him as manager. What I want and what I think they will do are very different.
That comment wasn't directed at you, moreso in general. But we agree on overall sentiment, as sad as it is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's no guarantee with any prospective coach and what it'll come down to is how quickly said head coach can implement his approach/style on the squad he inherits. Which will determine how quickly we can challenge for the league, and you also need a bit of luck.

Ten Hag's approach is well defined and it's a approach that has seen Ajax punch above their weight in the champions league playing a brand of football that is proactive but also well structured both on and off the ball. I'm not gonna go into too much detail but his approach to the game has caused many a problem to the biggest clubs in Europe for 'several years now'. And Ajax hadn't advanced past the group stage since 2005/06, until ten Hag arrived. It's not just in the Dutch league that he's impressed for Ajax and Utrecht but also the champions league, where he's imposed his play style on the best teams in Europe, coaching a brand of football that he's tweaked and adapted to the modern game, which has seen Ajax reach heights in Europe which they last saw in the mid 90s. He saw his 2019 team get dismantled and he's still helped rebuild the team in a short space of time and has Ajax again competing with the Europe's best. It's extremely ignorant for anyone to pass judgement on ten Hag by comparing him to de Boer or Koeman who both approached the game very differently. And if it was just just about the Dutch league I could understand, but his Champions league record with a team likes Ajax which is a club that has for a long long time not made a mark in Europe since the 90s, speaks volumes for a man who is displaying elite level tactical acumen.

And also more than half his current first 11, are players from a non Ajax back ground. Players like Tadic, Haller, Alvarez, Martinez, Antony, Pasveer and Berghuis, who all started against BvB. Only the two fullbacks (Blind and Mazraoui) and the young CB Timber are home grown from the team yesterday. So the assumption that the players come from a Ajax back ground, hence why it's easier to coach said style of play, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I think he's the stand out candidate and his approach to the game, along with his tactical acumen can bring about a major change which could potentially lead to the EPL title. And the reason I'm saying that is because he's adopted a way of playing the game, which is a proven winning formula, and he's fine tuned that formula for the modern game. So it all comes down to how quickly he would be able to get his ideas across imo. He's also had Coffee with Fergie in the past, so I presume it won't be difficult to touch base with him directly.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Not that I disagree — but Pep had the CV and the gravitas. He was telling Messi what to do, of course the City boys (who are in terms of media coverage etc. quite insignificant anyway) will fall in line. Will Ronaldo do the same to a geezer who currently tells Dusan Tadic and Sebastian Haller how to press? Will ten Hag continue with his principles when Gary Neville does a 40 minute long expose about a comment he made after a game on MNF?

(I’m just playing devils advocate here, I think ten Hag has a lot to like about him, I do think these are valid points to make though)
I am really not sure where this idea of players being high school boys just waiting for a chance to disrespect their manager comes from. They are professionals, they are paid to listed to their manager and will do so, most of the time.

Why are Bayern players listening to Nagelsman and, before him, Flick?

I mean, if it worked that way, why did Mourinho cause a rebelion at Real in 2013? He had arguably the best managerial CV in the world at that point, while most Real players had zero CLs to their name.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I am really not sure where this idea of players being high school boys just waiting for a chance to disrespect their manager comes from. They are professionals, they are paid to listed to their manager and will do so, most of the time.

Why are Bayern players listening to Nagelsman and, before him, Flick?

I mean, if it worked that way, why did Mourinho cause a rebelion at Real in 2013? He had arguably the best managerial CV in the world at that point, while most Real players had zero CLs to their name.
I assume he's talking about initial reaction. Any manager can lose the respect of a dressing room through incompetence or the way he deals with people. Your assertion that highly paid professionals will automatically afford any incoming manager immediate respect is well off, I'd imagine. Low profile managers in high profile job's have to go in and earn it, top dogs with proper CVs, it's probably theirs to lose.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Aye. Aside from Ajax being a good neutral team to want to do well anyway, a CL run to re-emphasise how promising an option he could be wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.