Would you take Zlatan for a year?

Would you take Zlatan back on a short-term deal?

• Total voters

Member 119614

I voted no, I was pretty disappointed in his Utd career. He scored goals but his overall play was very frustrating. He never scored a single world class goal for utd. He came from his best single season scoring 50 goals in all competitions in his last season at PSG... It felt very underwhelming to me.
I'm not surprised it only lasted a season.

OverratedOpinion

I think we either need a backup striker who we can rely on, Javier Hernandezesque or a world class striker depending on whether we have long term belief in Martial.

This is not going to change in a year just based on numbers in the current squad so whilst I understand the logic we would only find ourselves in the same position next year. I would vote for us to sign a good backup striker who is in their 20's. Before anyone mentions him, I do believe Greenwood will make it but there is no harm in having a 15m-20m player who will help us out enormously for a couple of years then sell for 12m-15m.

Member 119614

It would be horrible to have him as a back up striker. Think about the wages... Ole and his team showed they can spot quality on the cheap with James. I'm sure if needed they'll find a decent back up striker on the cheap too

lysglimt

Scout
We need a big, tall striker who is willing to sit on the bench and be used as a super-sub when we need a goal - would Zlatan accept that ? Never!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He looked well off the pace 2 years ago, it'd be unthinkable to now bring him back!

Leave the main memories of him as positive ones.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jose Mourinho chose to sign more proven strikers rather than develop Martial & Rashford and it didn't work well for their development.

I agree that both Martial & Rashford are still young so they will have up & down. However, our plan right now is playing the young players who have a lot of talent & potential so they can be well developed and in a few years ready to be the star for our success. When we didn't sign a proven striker this summer, our plan seems to be that we are going to give both Martial & Rashford a chance for our long term success.

Zlatan is not a type of player who will come here and sit on the bench as backup of Martial and beside our style of football is playing pressing, counter with pace, Zlatan just doesn't suit the style that we are playing. I would say no to this. I don't mind if he is willing to sit on the bench, be Martial backup & come as a super sub for plan B. However, I know Zlatan doesn't take such a role.

Acole9

Outstanding
Looks like we're not interested anyway from what Sky are saying.

Bestietom

Maybe a younger more mobile striker would suit us better. A classy goal scoring number 10 is what we need, and a RW.

Gordon S

No. A fun character and a living legend but his time at the highest level is over. We need to keep looking forward. I would much rather see Greenwood got minutes

stevoc

We need a big, tall striker who is willing to sit on the bench and be used as a super-sub when we need a goal - would Zlatan accept that ? Never!
He'd have to go elsewhere then because he couldn't hack it being first choice at 38.

TRUERED89

I voted no, I was pretty disappointed in his Utd career. He scored goals but his overall play was very frustrating. He never scored a single world class goal for utd. He came from his best single season scoring 50 goals in all competitions in his last season at PSG... It felt very underwhelming to me.
I'm not surprised it only lasted a season.
Freekick at Wembley in league cup final? 35 yard shot against Bournemouth? Bullet header against Southampton? He definitely did and that's just 3 examples...

Edit: Volley against Man City ??

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why not bring back Rooney & Van Nistelrooy too, lethal front 3...!!:rolleyes:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He could be a great person to have in the dressing room that could light fire under these kids asses. Also it could massively help the young strikers at the club by training and learning from one of the greatest strikers of all time.

SportingCP96

Supports
Freekick at Wembley in league cup final? 35 yard shot against Bournemouth? Bullet header against Southampton? He definitely did and that's just 3 examples...

Edit: Volley against Man City ??
Also the Chip against Everton.

He did very well at United and if not for his injury would have scored more.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
On one side of the coin, we need absolute leaders and in today's football Zlatan is one of the few who can live up to Manchester United captain's character... and on the the other side, he already had his successful time in United and totally not in Ole's current fast tempo valley.

Club's got a huge scout department, perhaps it's time to use it properly and find someone who can live up to the might of the club.

It would be perfect if we could offer him ambassador role, he's popular everywhere and now he's God and President of U.S. it seems.

OleTheGreat

Zlatan is always Zlatan! I love him and I also do think that he's a Lion Heart but i think we have moved past him and trying to build a team for the next few years. We cannot spoil his career in the MLS by bringing him back because not only will we be wasting his time but also ours. I'd love for him to be back here for a year but that's not the solution to our problems. We need to look for better options and show them the videos of Zlatan and his immense talents over the years. We need the players to learn from watching him on the tele rather than actually have him around.

TRUERED89

Oh I'm disappointed in myself that I forgot that one :lol:. I have no clue why the OP doesn't remember any of these great goals, must not watch many games like 90% of the Caf..

Varun

Staff
No because he wouldn't suit the high pressing style we want to play

SportingCP96

Supports

Ya I mean on a short term deal I really don’t see any negatives in taking him for say 6 months. Players like greenwood who is a young and up and coming striker would learn many valuable things from a guy like Zlatan (positional awareness, finishing/striking technique, how to read a defender etc.) united also would get a guy who I have no doubt would still bang in some goals.

lastly it’s not like United are contending or fighting for any major trophies so he would not derail them in anyway but rather have someone who can maybe harden that otherwise soft dressing room. Maybe try to instill some fighting and winning mentality.

Hell I might be completely wrong but I think it’s worth a punt.

Abhinav

Its time the scouting department unearth the next Zlatan, not drag an almost retired Zlatan back to the PL. This team needs to continue to evolve and find its dynamic on and off the field, don’t know how getting a past it Zlatan is going to help anyone.

Let me just clarify that I loved Zlatan’s time here and wished he didn’t get injured when he did.

KennyBurner

Big fat no. he scored a lot of goals during his time here but I remeber him being consistently sloppy in possession. What we need is a mobile CF who can linkup well with others. Only way i can accept him back is as a super sub.

204Red

I would have been more in favor of this idea in Sept (when Zlatan was on fire in the MLS and we couldn't score to save our lives), but I just voted NO

I do think we need another striker (remember when we had 4 top class strikers when we won the treble? or even Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berba... ok we had to shoe horn Berba in there... but still)... and a veteran presence wouldn't hurt.

Now we only have Martial and Rashford and we see what happens when one of them goes down. Greenwood is a great prospect, but I'm not sure putting that level of pressure on a 17/18 year striker is the best for his development

Eriku

"Go back to watch Baseball" :lol::lol: Man I love him so much.

Though I said everything points to the idea he's Milan bound.
He’s brilliant :lol:

I can get people not wanting him back, but that anybody can have been disappointed with what he did for us while he was here is baffling to me.

FujiVice

If something crazy happens (it wont, sadly) and Real Madrid take him, he'll have completed the full set of giant clubs.

Chipper

Adulterer.
If something crazy happens (it wont, sadly) and Real Madrid take him, he'll have completed the full set of giant clubs.
Needs Bayern too.

Arguably another team that plays in red about 30 miles from Old Trafford as well. :nervous:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He’s brilliant :lol:

I can get people not wanting him back, but that anybody can have been disappointed with what he did for us while he was here is baffling to me.
I think a lot of people don't want him back because it's not a step in the right direction. The only way I would want Zlatan back is if he came in knowing that he will be on the bench as a plan B when we are chasing a goal...

Nakhon Phanom

For Christ's sake the guy is 38...you might as well bring Solksjaer out of retirement!
I like the guy and he did well for us in his first season but how slow will he be now?
We are trying to instill a fast passing game with younger players now... no way he would fit into that.

zenith

I'd like to have him back at united, though strictly on a coaching capacity. I can imagine how much the players will gain from a player like him