Would you watch a European Super League?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Simple question. I'm coming to believe that it would be the one step that made me give up supporting Chelsea after 40 years, something I never thought was possible.

Even setting aside all the unsporting, unfair, money obsessed bullshit aspects of it, frankly it just sounds really, really dull.

So what say you? Does anyone actually want this elitist system to happen?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes. Even the ones that will say no, will watch it eventually.

Ludens the Red

Can genuinely say no. I’ve already turned away from the Champions League recently.

Can’t think of anything more unwatchable than watching United face Bayern/Barca every week.
I watch a shit load of lower league football and aren’t one of these football fans who can only feed off games of the giant clubs.

Bertie Wooster

I'm sure I would. If the only alternative is to stop watching the team that I support, which I can never envisage happening. But I really don't want it to happen, and I don't think it should happen.

I've known fans from teams who've moved grounds who've said they'd never go. They always do. Especially Wigan Athletic when they moved to a new ground with their rivals Wigan Rugby. They swore black and blue they'd never go to a game if it happened - instead, they've rarely missed one. One mate also hates Man United and Liverpool - when Wigan got to the PL he said he'd never go to watch home matches against them: he went to them all.

People say 'I'll never watch if...' They rarely follow through with it. I'll admit that I'm sure I'd still watch our games, and get just as passionately involved in them as I want us to win whichever competition we're in. But, if I had the choice, I'd definitely want us to stay playing in the current set up and really hope the European Super League never happens.

Last edited:

Kag

Probably. It doesn’t make it any less of a shit idea.

I don’t watch much football anymore generally, though. A combination of Champions League moving to BT, adult life getting in the way and a growing ambivalence towards watching live football I guess.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I genuinely don't think I would, and I've always tried to be bluntly honest with myself about this stuff. It just sounds incredibly boring and I don't think I could motivate myself to dedicate any time to it.

RashyForPM

Of course I would. It would feel slightly pointless because literally nothing matters unless you finish 1st, but United will be playing. Simple.

Keep it the way it currently is though. Let’s not make football more elitist than it is now.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Sincerely, a European super league would hold absolutely no interest. Football just seems to get worse over time and this would be the end for me to being a consistent supporter.

Hard pass

Last edited:

PoTMS

Yes, like 99% of all football fans. The ones who say they wouldn't are lying.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This won't happen, and UEFA are already planning to revampt the Champions League to a "Swiss style" tournament format from 2024 if the proposal passes.

Also FIFA already came out earlier this year with a very blunt statement regarding a super league: - Essentially: If you participate, you can forget about playing international football. (This will 100% be challenged by the respective armies of lawyers)

"Any club or player involved in such a competition would as a consequence not be allowed to participate in any competition organised by FIFA or their respective confederation", the communication warns.

"As per the FIFA and confederations statutes, all competitions should be organised or recognised by the relevant body at their respective level, by FIFA at the global level and by the confederations at the continental level.

"In this respect, the confederations recognise the FIFA Club World Cup, in its current and new format, as the only worldwide club competition while FIFA recognises the club competitions organised by the confederations as the only club continental competitions.

"The universal principles of sporting merit, solidarity, promotion and relegation, and subsidiarity are the foundation of the football pyramid that ensures football’s global success and are, as such, enshrined in the FIFA and confederation statutes.

"Football has a long and successful history thanks to these principles.

"Participation in global and continental competitions should always be won on the pitch."

Brightonian

Yes of course, but I'd fecking hate it. Hate everything about the whole idea. Hate myself because I know I wouldn't be able to say no.

slored1

I would probably watch my local club and stop caring about the biggest teams altogether. Would bore me a lot if there's only 10 teams always involved, even in the CL we always had the likes of Atalanta, Ajax, Porto going far in the competition.

Irwin99

I'd say absolutely not.... but then i'd probably watch it anyway :(

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Probably. I would be intrigued by a Super Rugby version but I feel that it would be too complicated to set up.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Not me. It would be even more of a circus than it is now.

Can you imagine how rinsed fans would be if this ever happened

Judas

Open to offers
Sadly yep, but I’d hate it to exist and it would be one of the worst things to ever happen to the sport in the modern era. Everything about it is rancid.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Simple question. I'm coming to believe that it would be the one step that made me give up supporting Chelsea after 40 years, something I never thought was possible.

Even setting aside all the unsporting, unfair, money obsessed bullshit aspects of it, frankly it just sounds really, really dull.

So what say you? Does anyone actually want this elitist system to happen?
You would just support Chelsea and a Super League team. Lots of people support a top league club, but follow their home town team as well.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You would just support Chelsea and a Super League team. Lots of people support a top league club, but follow their home town team as well.
I'm assuming Chelsea would be part of any European Super League sadly, they're pretty much always in the proposed lists. If they didn't join I'd happily continue being a supporter.

Super league just doesn't interest me in the slightest. There have been significant periods where Spanish football was the best on the planet, and I had no interest in watching that either.

Counterfactual

Yeah, I guess. You always want to see your team tested against the best, and at the moment the CL has too much filler. The PL also has too much filler.

It's the balance that's important. If you lose the thrill of facing Real or Barca, it becomes mundane and boring. But at the moment, filler can definitely be lost.

"West Bromwich Albion v Brighton and Hove Albion, and it's LIVE!"

Andy_Cole

I think they should have one along side a smaller PL. Get rid of the League Cup. I know the Knock Outs are interesting but it would also be great to play every big team twice a year.

Could even do a summer KO European club tournament every 4 years which could be fun.

PSV

It's definitely the way to go to add that extra tier, but they need to be careful because I think another interesting question would be how deep into your pockets you would have to dig for this. I'm thinking PL+CL cost today and then some.

Oranges038

Probably not.

Champions league is boring up to the knock out rounds. They should really be looking to improve the entertainment value. Not add more pointless games.

I would prefer if they removed the Champions League group stage and had them as knock out rounds all the way through in either two or one legs, preferably one.

The Oracle

I am against a 'European Super League' for this one reason...

The Champions League is a brilliant competition.

klsv

Would tune in every now and then, just like I do with Audi Cup and rest of all-star type friendly tournaments, would also take it as seriously.

MU655

Depends on how many games are going to be played. If it is exactly like the Premier League with 2 games against every side, I think it would get pretty boring after a while.

I'm not sure I would be all that interested in watching two leagues every season.

Also, more games = more expensive to watch. So, no, I probably wouldn't fork out the money for it if it worked like this.

Lentwood

No, why would I want to watch Europe’s best teams, players and managers facing off against each other in some of the worlds best venues when I could watch crackers like Burnley vs Wolves, WBA vs Southampton and Fulham vs Brighton?

Also, how would we live without seeing vastly inferior sides with limited resources and no hope of ever winning anything desperately trying to grind out draws with ten behind the ball against top half teams?

BTW - I am being sarcastic

Dansk

Of course I'd watch, but I don't want them to make it.