Would you watch a European Super League?

Dansk

No, why would I want to watch Europe’s best teams, players and managers facing off against each other in some of the worlds best venues when I could watch crackers like Burnley vs Wolves, WBA vs Southampton and Fulham vs Brighton?

Also, how would we live without seeing vastly inferior sides with limited resources and no hope of ever winning anything desperately trying to grind out draws with ten behind the ball against top half teams?
The problem is that if you scoop all the big teams out of their domestic leagues and into their own one, domestic league football would fall apart. The Prem would be scarcely more prestigious than the Championship is now. Good players would be even less willing to play for a club that isn't in the ESL than they currently are with regards to sign for top 4 sides, so domestic league squads would lose any and all players with real quality. The TV money would evaporate when they're no longer playing against United, Barcelona, Bayern and so on, and pretty soon there would be about as much interest in the PL as there is in its current Scottish counterpart.

Last edited:

Lentwood

The problem is that if you scoop all the big teams out of their domestic leagues and into their own one, domestic league football would fall apart. The Prem would be scarcely more prestigious than the Championship is now. Good players would be even less willing to play for a club that isn't in the ESL than they currently are with regards to sign for top 4 sides, so domestic league squads would lose any and all players with real quality. The TV money would evaporate when they're no longer playing against United, Barcelona, Bayern and so on, and pretty soon there would be about as much interest in the PL as there is in its current Scottish counterpart.
My views on sport are 100% polar opposite to my political views and so my simple response to that is...so what? Survival of the fittest I’m afraid. The sport has to keep evolving to survive or risk stagnating.

People watch sport to be entertained, im not really interested in what is good for Burnley or WBA

redshaw

I'd watch it but I like how things are currently. I think they've improved the CL format and like the balance of European and league games. A super league could end up being quite dull after a few years so I could end up losing interest.

Maybe to help those smaller countries with historic clubs they should merge leagues with their neighbours

Withnail

Seems a silly question.

It's football and if United and/or the top sides are playing in it the of course I'm watching it... On a dodgy stream most likely

Stookie

Nurse bell end
No. I watch hardly any European football at all now (thanks BT). This made me realise I don’t really need football in my life. Bit by bit I’ve slowly drifted away from it. I stopped going to games a few years ago. Just too expensive now. So watched everything religiously on Sky. Still tried to make an odd game if I got a free ticket off a mate but I wasn’t arsed really. Then BT got involved. So I couldn’t afford that as well as Sky. Tried streaming but got viruses and it just buffered constantly. Eventually got rid of Sky and I have to say I don’t really miss any of it. Quite liberating really not having my life revolving around football. So European league- another way to milk fans and move the game away from working class families. Nah feck that.

USREDEVIL

Yes. Even the ones that will say no, will watch it eventually.
I guess that will be me. I will resist as long as possible. We already have the UCL for that. And there's zero history behind this making any trophy fairly shallow to me. No thanks.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah but United losing to Bayern Munich is easier to take than losing to some shit side in the EPL.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
My views on sport are 100% polar opposite to my political views and so my simple response to that is...so what? Survival of the fittest I’m afraid. The sport has to keep evolving to survive or risk stagnating.

People watch sport to be entertained, im not really interested in what is good for Burnley or WBA
Spoken like a fan of one of the giant clubs. I'm fairly sure fans of Burnley and WBA care quite a lot. There's 92 teams in the PL and EFL leagues, and they all have their own dedicated fanbase. I'm really not sure that a handful of big teams buggering off to play in Europe is going to somehow destroy the rest of English football.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
"Watch"..football, including United, more and more become background noise for me these days.

babablue

Yes. I'm not English, and have no sentimental attachment to the PL other than United being in it. I can't think of any reason why Manchester United vs Juventus twice every year is any less interesting that playing Crystal Palace twice a year. I'm willing to bet most foreigners will see it the same way.

el3mel

Only if it has United in it. Otherwise, nah, definitely not regularly at least.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean the only thing I can possibly think of that would make me stop watching or supporting Chelsea is if they took the club and relocated it to another city. It wouldn't be my club anymore at that point.

The Super league. I would be opposed to it happening, but if it did and Chelsea were in it, yeah I'd watch.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think the Champions League is just fine. If this league came about and Chelsea is in, then I am too.

Okey

I'll always watch football anyway, but this super league thing makes no sense. What's the point in having the same teams every time with no chance of others aspiring to break in? It'll just kill off the game at the level below them in my opinion.

SAFMUTD

Would be great to watch, but simply wont happen. It would destroy all medium and small clubs from the top leagues. Its not even smart for business man, sure you would get a lot of spectators in that league, but all joined football would be less watched.

Cloud7

I wouldn’t want to, but if the alternative was giving up United then I guess I would. It would be boring and hollow though. Playing Barcelona and Bayern isn’t special anymore when you’re playing them every week.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Probably not.

20 years ago I was that guy who'd watch any match that was on TV from any league plus highlight shows, literally football on tv all the time when I was at home. In recent years I've only really watched United regularly, don't even bother with highlights/goals of other teams mostly. This season I've gone to the supermarket a few times during United matches because I though it was a more interesting thing to do.

Interest is waning and a Euro league would reduce it further.

Edit: And you know the really weird thing? I must spend 3-4 hours a day on the caf reading and posting, visiting multiple times every day of the week. I'm infinitely more interested in reading what people have to say about football than I am watching it now.

Last edited:

SoCross

Would probably watch a few games but not consistently. Would not hold much appeal.

dinostar77

No, i would only watch knockout stages of super league as i do for current CL format.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Probably, but indifferently. It'd probably kill the last spark of faith I actually have left in the sport.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I likely wouldn't, I already don't bother watching most of the champion league group games that United are in these days. Primarily because they are on at 2:30am over here, and a small bit because expectations are low. If we went into a European Super league, I can see most games being on at poor times for me, and eventually losing interest.

saivet

If this meant that the big sides were removed from their domestic leagues then I probably wouldn't watch it.

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Of course, I want to see the best payers play against each other. Not Man Utd against Watford and Bayern against Augsburg.
The current situation in foootball is so ridicilous. Teams with 500 million budgets plaing teams with 50 million budgets. It is one big joke.

diarm

The only positive I could ever see in a Super League would be if it locked the plastic clubs out. Unfortunately, every proposal I've read about seems to include City, PSG and Chelsea in it so I don't see the point.

It all just comes down to greed and the fans of United and Liverpool in particular, should be very wary of any moves towards such a setup. Our American owners are simply angling towards a system where they can put the bare minimum into the club while extracting as much as they can. They wouldn't give two shits if we were finishing bottom of a European Super League each year, just so long as we were ringfenced within it and they could cash in.

arthurka

Hate the idea of a cash bag league the CL has done enough damage.
But of course I would watch it like 99% of footballing fans.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It is funny seeing fans moan about "plastic" clubs and at the same time creating a league for the "traditional elite" clubs that locks out the rest of football.

MU655

In the end, this would actually damage some of the top clubs. Let's be honest, Manchester United have the biggest fan base in the Pl because it was the most successful in a time of massive growth.

What would happen over a prolonged period of a European super league? Some of those top teams will never win the title, and will no longer be top teams. A lot of new fans will look at the clubs that are actually winning and choose to be their fans.

Some of those top clubs will no longer be top clubs. I don't even think there is relegation, so what do all the other teams have to play for if they are not competing? It will end up a pointless competition for most clubs, so it would actually be pointless to watch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In the end, this would actually damage some of the top clubs. Let's be honest, Manchester United have the biggest fan base in the Pl because it was the most successful in a time of massive growth.

What would happen over a prolonged period of a European super league? Some of those top teams will never win the title, and will no longer be top teams. A lot of new fans will look at the clubs that are actually winning and choose to be their fans.

Some of those top clubs will no longer be top clubs. I don't even think there is relegation, so what do all the other teams have to play for if they are not competing? It will end up a pointless competition for most clubs, so it would actually be pointless to watch.
Set up a draft system where the teams in the super league can draft players from clubs across Europe who were left behind to play in the pointless domestic leagues.

"Everton's top scorer announces his intentions to enter the draft at the conclusion of the current season"

"Feyenoord's CB is projected to go top 5 in this years draft"

"The 2025 winger class is very deep with Lille's [insert name] likely to be the #1 overall pick"

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Simple question. I'm coming to believe that it would be the one step that made me give up supporting Chelsea after 40 years, something I never thought was possible.

Even setting aside all the unsporting, unfair, money obsessed bullshit aspects of it, frankly it just sounds really, really dull.

So what say you? Does anyone actually want this elitist system to happen?
Yes

Member 101269

watching PSG v BM last night, how could you not want united playing a league like that.