Wout Weghorst - Manchester United Player (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It genuinely makes me laugh that we signed a hard working target man, he plays exactly like that - and fans here are getting in a hissy fit because he did exactly that.

So he didn't beat a centre back for pace that kept up with Rashford? boo hoo :lol: Guehi and Richards are probably 2 of the most athletic players in the PL.

People really are so impatient and lets face it, delusional on here lately.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
It genuinely makes me laugh that we signed a hard working target man, he plays exactly like that - and fans here are getting in a hissy fit because he did exactly that.

So he didn't beat a centre back for pace that kept up with Rashford? boo hoo :lol: Guehi and Richards are probably 2 of the most athletic players in the PL.

People really are so impatient and lets face it, delusional on here lately.
Lately??

My man. This place is full of awful takes. And the awful takes get the most responses.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lately??

My man. This place is full of awful takes. And the awful takes get the most responses.
It wasn't always like this, but I guess that goes with the lack of success and frustration built.

Hughie77

He's been brought in because he fits what ETH wants and he was a cheap loan deal. No money till club gets sold. Hopefully he can get up to speed of how he's needed. He didn't lose the ball held it up OK. Let's just see how we go

RuudTom83

For 1 training session with the team he did quite well...some decent hold-up play.

Let see how he does against Forest/Reading.

Lee565

I can't wait for the glazers to do one, they have shown zero ambition year after year , how many times have we been half way through the season and seen rivals strengthen in January to make a push for top 4 spot or title push and we go searching around the bottom of the bargain bin with buys/loans like this.

ben38sufc

Lately??

I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as reddit. Awful takes are awful but they get called out; I don’t think there’s a hivemind on here

Greck

Yup. Its pretty clear that Ten Hags asks his 9 to do different things than simply be in the box and score.
This. I know we have an iconic number 9 tradition but the position has changed. Say so because our assessment of 9s still seem disproportionally tipped towards how good their poaching is. Complete players like Kane are an obvious exception but for everyone else the ability to make the team tick is more important than pure poaching. Stop asking why the 9 isn't always in the box already. If they bring others into play, hold the ball up and springboard attacks they can be useful without scoring.

soapythecat

Looks like he’ll start tomorrow afternoon. He’s going to have to be on the top of his bully game if he gonna trouble that defence. Didn’t look too sharp midweek, so hopefully he’s picked up something during training that will get him more in tune with the team

Lyng

Sky sports did a interview with Wout. Its nice to hear how happy he got when hearing we where interested in him.

croadyman

Looks like he’ll start tomorrow afternoon. He’s going to have to be on the top of his bully game if he gonna trouble that defence. Didn’t look too sharp midweek, so hopefully he’s picked up something during training that will get him more in tune with the team
We will see as has had a couple more sessions now. Obviously you can't compare them in ability but took Casa a while to get comfortable too.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Dunno if it’s a good idea starting him or not. We need a pacy front 3 really if we’re gonna be playing on the counter. Don’t want someone slow holding us back.

Smores

This. I know we have an iconic number 9 tradition but the position has changed. Say so because our assessment of 9s still seem disproportionally tipped towards how good their poaching is. Complete players like Kane are an obvious exception but for everyone else the ability to make the team tick is more important than pure poaching. Stop asking why the 9 isn't always in the box already. If they bring others into play, hold the ball up and springboard attacks they can be useful without scoring.
Find comments like these a bit strange, Weghorst is mainly a classic predatory no 9. His strengths are his movement in the box and his physicality in there.

It's not like Haller under ETH wasn't a striker with a box presence either. He doesn't play false 9s, he wants the striker to get involved in the first phase but ultimately be in the box.

In the last game the issue was feeding him through balls too early, he isn't going to progress the ball like that. That's just players building a better understanding.

Man-United

Anyone scouting Bas Dost today? Could be another option until the end of the window.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Are all the other strikers still injured? Starting Wout against Arsenal seems a bit much :lol:

God I hope he scores the winner.

Greck

Find comments like these a bit strange, Weghorst is mainly a classic predatory no 9. His strengths are his movement in the box and his physicality in there.

It's not like Haller under ETH wasn't a striker with a box presence either. He doesn't play false 9s, he wants the striker to get involved in the first phase but ultimately be in the box.

In the last game the issue was feeding him through balls too early, he isn't going to progress the ball like that. That's just players building a better understanding.
Strange because no one said anything about false 9s. Saying strikers are now expected to be more involved than ever doesn't mean all modern strikers are false 9s. It just means there's an increased emphasis on what happens in front of the defense rather than behind it. This isn't the 90s where they just had to receive crosses at the backpost. They now play support to two wide forwards. Being the furthest man forward will be impractical for much of the possession. It also doesn't mean they are prohibited from ever entering the box, these are extreme interpretations.

When juxtaposing Ronaldo's poaching and Martial's support styles Erik said it best; "It’s quite clear in my way of playing, I like the type that Anthony Martial is because he can hold the ball, he’s a target, he can link up, he can also run behind, he has speed, he can finish and he’s a good presser.”

In the City game for example Martial caught a lot of flack for not running in behind enough. Once he came off it was obvious people hadn't a clue he had been gluing our attacking linkup all along. The role is just generally underappreciated in world football. If Wout can also make us a better team without scoring he too will be very worth it.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Maybe we could stop playing the ball to his feet so much today and actually put in a few crosses

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Maybe we could stop playing the ball to his feet so much today and actually put in a few crosses
He's better receiving it with his back to the goal honestly. He's not a good header of the ball (can you grammatically call it a good header in this context?).

lsd

The Oracle
He's better receiving it with his back to the goal honestly. He's not a good header of the ball (can you grammatically call it a good header in this context?).

Yeah but we could switch it up a bit. It just seemed in midweek everytime we passed to him it was to his feet and the one time we put it in the air he almost scored.

Then again it's not like we play wingers who cross a lot anyway

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah but we could switch it up a bit. It just seemed in midweek everytime we passed to him it was to his feet and the one time we put it in the air he almost scored.

Then again it's not like we play wingers who cross a lot anyway
Yeah fair enough. One thing you shouldn't day is give him through balls where he has to out pace a defender :wenger:

Lee565

Pointless signing, just a body which should not be a positive in anyway, would rather try a striker from our youth set up at this point

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This was mind boggling as well. :lol:

Anyway don’t think he really suits us or where we want to go, but he was ok today. Understandable that EtH hands are sort of tied and we need to pray Martial is fit.

Brianschoccysurprise

I thought he played well today and added a lot more to our all round game than Martial or Ronaldo would of done. If Anthony was actually capable of a decent delivery then he might of got on the score sheet

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Decent performance in a very difficult fixture. Expect to see a bit more from him once he's had a few games to settle.

cyberman

Played well but there were a few times he got turned with the ball and didn’t play the slide rule pass that was on.
It’s not his game but the openings were there

Woziak

Nice lad but never united class, he’s a decent third option snd one we need to sort very quickly

Todd

He's useful in the sense that we need to play with 11 guys and our only other striker is always injured so this Wout fellow can go out there and be a body. And it appears that sometimes his hold up play will be useful.

As for what we desperately need- a striker who can go out there and score 25 goals a season- this guy is never going to be that. So we need someone else, stat.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think this was still a better option to play him at CF and Rashford on the LW. He had a few good moves that started our attacks but it didn't work out. In the end game was lost in midfield and not much he could do about it without any service.

DON’T PANIC ™

He contributed to a few attacks im the first half, disappeared in the second. Not much of a goal threat. Expected more from him for our set pieces. Arsenal won virtually every header from our corners.

Judas

Open to offers
He'll do a job, and I think he's doing alright at the role he's being asked to play. but I don't think there's much chance of us looking to make the move permanent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He contributed to a few attacks im the first half, disappeared in the second. Not much of a goal threat. Expected more from him for our set pieces. Arsenal won virtually every header from our corners.
Our crossing wasn't always good. He also made very clever back post runs and not once did Bruno, Antony or Rashford find him

Mr PG

I thought he played well today and added a lot more to our all round game than Martial or Ronaldo would of done. If Anthony was actually capable of a decent delivery then he might of got on the score sheet
Spot on. An upgrade on Martial and one of the reasons we coped so well with Arsenal till the midfield lost the war

Status
Not open for further replies.