Wout Weghorst - Manchester United Player (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinav

He did ok yesterday. The problem playing him & Antony together is that neither of them are blessed with pace and neither are going to create much by themselves. If we play him, we need to play someone like Garnacho on the right to provide the threat.

Speako

Nothing against him personally, but he’s a fake eBay Hugo Boss polo. He does a job, but ultimately you get what you pay for.

Once, we were minted. Now, we’re on Vinted.

NZT-One

I think the last two performances have been average to poor.
I'm not blaming it on Weghorst performances more so the way we've changed the way we play. There doesn't seem to be the same movement from the front three and the runs in behind the defence don't seem to be as consistent.

The temptation seems to be "get it to the big lad up front"
Ok, I guess, that is a legitimate standpoint. I wouldn't agree though because "movement and the runs in behind the defence" are strictly connected to the way opponents set up against us as well. In terms of which space do they offer. We shouldn't think that United fans are the only ones noticing that Rashfords pace to attack space in behind is a great way to score goals. Our opponents will notice as well and play accordingly (see Crystal Palace, even though we managed to do relatively well with it). Attacking wise it looks like ETH hasn't done an aweful lot with the team. No issue with that as we can see how good his work on buildup phase is turning out. But offensively we aren't that far away from early Ole ball, where our first thought seems to be to release a player (more often than not Rashford) into space. And why wouldn't we, we have Bruno who is good at finding players with long balls and we have Rashford whose main strength is exactly that. But as that seems to be the only bullet in the arsenal, sooner or later opponents will find a way to make that more difficult.

Adding Weghorst was a smart move as he offers something, no other player at United can offer. Traditional Striker work. I don't know if he will turn out a success but I think putting the blame for bad results on him (even partly) isn't very productive.

dinostar77

So our performances haven't dropped since the city game because we've changed the way we play?
Yet you go on to say that we don't have the players to play crosses into the box to the one new player in the team?
Which is it?
They have dropped because of fatigue as the commentators mentioned during both the crystal palace and arsenal games.

That is seperate to chances not being created for woug.

Edwards6

Don't know what people expected when we signed him but I thought he played well yesterday, with Martial injured all the time its better to have Weghorst there than moving Rashford out of position when he's playing so well on the left.
obviously I'd love us to have someone like Kane, Vlahovic or Oshimen up front but what are we supposed to do in January with no budget

MUFC OK

Cant help but feel someone like Marcus Thuram would have been a better option for a few million more. Has the pace to play counter attacking football even if his touch isnt the best - pretty sure he'd be much more effective than Wout.

What I'd give for even a young Javier Hernandez up top for us - exactly what we need at the moment.

MUFC OK

Don't know what people expected when we signed him but I thought he played well yesterday, with Martial injured all the time its better to have Weghorst there than moving Rashford out of position when he's playing so well on the left.
obviously I'd love us to have someone like Kane, Vlahovic or Oshimen up front but what are we supposed to do in January with no budget
With his height expected him to win most balls in the air. Didn't expect the slowest forward I've ever seen for United, or for him not to be able to control the ball unless it's delivered played precisely into his stride.

hatchetmac

Cant help but feel someone like Marcus Thuram would have been a better option for a few million more. Has the pace to play counter attacking football even if his touch isnt the best - pretty sure he'd be much more effective than Wout.

What I'd give for even a young Javier Hernandez up top for us - exactly what we need at the moment.
Thuram is another Martial always injured. We don't need another sick note.

georgipep

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect too much in the way of immediate scoring contributions given that he has hardly had time to train with the team yet. Still, I don't see how one could look at his first two games and feel really good about that. He had some good link-up and pressing contributions in his first game, and a bit more of the same yesterday, but in two 90s he's been largely completely devoid of any impact whatsoever at the sharp end of the attack, and has been largely a non-factor. Also, our attacking game in general has regressed in the two games he's started. A striker on a team like United has to offer a lot more than he has, so far. Still early days and all that, but he really has to up his contribution fairly dramatically to justify anything more than the occasional walk-on part.
I honestly think you've been watching different games.
Weghorst has hit the ground running and has been an improvement on our final third play both in and out of possession. Sadly, we haven't been able to put the ball in the box, almost at all, and because of that he hasn't had the chance to get shots.
He has exceeded my expectations massively so far.

justsomebloke

Totally agree.

Worked hard, pressed well and held the ball up bringing others into play. That's the sort of player he is, and on loan, with options limited due to the potential takeover, I'm not sure what people expect.

There were more disappointing performances. Antony still looks out of his depth. Rashford was the only attacking player who delivered yesterday and he can't do it on his own.
So he did, but a striker at United has to offer more than just that. His involvement in scoring chances across two games has been pretty much non-existent - 0.04 xG and 0.01 xA per 90. Allowances made for early days and so on, but that's got to pick up, otherwise he's simply not a viable option.

FromTheBench

He is soo poor aerially for a big lad.

He will do alright but shouldnt be starting.

Edwards6

With his height expected him to win most balls in the air. Didn't expect the slowest forward I've ever seen for United, or for him not to be able to control the ball unless it's delivered played precisely into his stride.
Yes he's slow but I don't agree that he can't win the ball in the air or control it, he was holding the ball up well and laying it off, the disappointment is we're not utilising him by crossing the ball for him to attack yet

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He is soo poor aerially for a big lad.

He will do alright but shouldnt be starting.
I don't think I've seen him win a contested header yet. Some of his little flicks have been good but needs more than that.

Looks like he's running through treacle at times too. Hopefully more to come but a bit skeptical.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A Manchester United striker who is not expected to score goals, but contribute in holdup play instead.

Is this an episode of Black Mirror?

Zippycup

They have dropped because of fatigue as the commentators mentioned during both the crystal palace and arsenal games.

That is seperate to chances not being created for woug.
So having just played arguably our best game against City just over a week ago. Fatigue has now set in and our performances have dropped.
But it's got nothing to do with the one new player who has been introduced to the team?

This place cracks me up :lol:

justsomebloke

Weghorst has hit the ground running and has been an improvement on our final third play both in and out of possession. Sadly, we haven't been able to put the ball in the box, almost at all, and because of that he hasn't had the chance to get shots.
........really? Massively? Even if your expectations are zero and you tally up all of his involvement and put that against zero expectations, you don't get to "exceeded massively". :)

He's basically been a non-factor in the attacking third. It's not like he's been getting himself into great positions but not received the passes either. He just hasn't had much of a presence at all in that part of the game. He has done some good pressing and some good link-up actions, but overall he hasn't really been that much involved. And believe me, I've looked. If he can keep up his link-up play and pressing at that level and add some actual attacking contributions, then he'll be fine. But what he's provided so far is nowhere near that.

Also, I'd be curious in what this "improvement in our final third play" consists? Because to me, we have looked a good deal poorer in that department in our last two games than we've done since before the World Cup. Yesterday, incidentally, was by some distance the lowest xG we've had in any PL game this season. Against Palace it was the sixth lowest of the season - worse than the loss against Brighton in the opener, for example.

Last edited:

Jordan_mufc

I agree, I like how he hurried the Arsenal centre backs and threw himself about to win the ball back high up the pitch. His link up play was good, but he didn't have much in the way of service.

There was a chance for one big opportunity but McTominay messes up the pass.

ColvaleGoa

He did ok yesterday.

Some of our fans are expecting him to be prolific like Haaland or Kane. That's never going to happen. It's a stopgap at the moment and the last 2 games have been pretty tough. Hopefully he will get better when the opponent's are a bit easier then Palace and Arsenal.

I am a Martial fan but honestly every time i think this is his time to shine he gets injured. So at least we have a forward up top now and summer we get Kane.

Zippycup

He did ok yesterday.

Some of our fans are expecting him to be prolific like Haaland or Kane. That's never going to happen. It's a stopgap at the moment and the last 2 games have been pretty tough. Hopefully he will get better when the opponent's are a bit easier then Palace and Arsenal.

I am a Martial fan but honestly every time i think this is his time to shine he gets injured. So at least we have a forward up top now and summer we get Kane.
What fan has ever said he should be like Halland or Kane.

Devil81

Two tough games to open your time at United. Personally I thought he was quiet against Palace but yesterday I thought he had a good game.

I wish our players would trust him more with a ball into his feet as he can hold the ball up well.

Castia

People need to hold their expectations he's a striker on loan from Championship Burnley...You get what you pay for.

Shame we're still relying on Martial after 6 years of mediocrity, Sevilla realised in about 3 weeks that he's a dud.

RedRover

Currently. No one. But that doesn't mean Weghorst is the answer. Our football is more clinical without him in the team. Yes. His hold up play is good but that's not what made us dangerous in the previous 8-9 games. It was playing it in behind the defence.
Clearly that's why Ten Hag wanted him - to offer a different option, and it's an option he's seen fit to use in the last two games. Seems your criticism is of the manager and his tactics, not the player.

RedRover

People need to hold their expectations he's a striker on loan from Championship Burnley...You get what you pay for.

Shame we're still relying on Martial after 6 years of mediocrity, Sevilla realised in about 3 weeks that he's a dud.
Exactly. Rarely fit and when he is, hardly looks interested.

RedRover

So he did, but a striker at United has to offer more than just that. His involvement in scoring chances across two games has been pretty much non-existent - 0.04 xG and 0.01 xA per 90. Allowances made for early days and so on, but that's got to pick up, otherwise he's simply not a viable option.
These arguments ignore the fact that the club is in the process of potentially being sold and having spent £200 million in the summer the owners are not, and were never going to spend money on a forward.

What other "viable option" is there? The club are not going to buy a striker this window - it was obvious when the signed this bloke on loan.

This is a stop gap because Ronaldo forced his way out. Ten Hag has no money to spend and I suspect is targeting a big name striker in the summer. This bloke is patently not good enough long term but at least is a player who offers something different and who'll put a bit of work in and who the manager feels he can get something out of.

Martial (the only other option) is 6 years in and supposedly has talent. It should be easy enough for him to force his way in. Let's see if he does.

djembatheking

I’m not sure why everyone is so disappointed. Did anyone see the game. I thought his hold up play and link up front was pretty good. He offers something different from what we have
He’s not a wolf beater but did what was asked of him. He’s no Ronaldo no zlatan but he brings something different to the team. His attitude and work ethics was spot on so far
Totally agree mate. Also good to see he is not cruel to animals, I don`t like to see our strikers behaving like that.

justsomebloke

These arguments ignore the fact that the club is in the process of potentially being sold and having spent £200 million in the summer the owners are not, and were never going to spend money on a forward.

What other "viable option" is there? The club are not going to buy a striker this window - it was obvious when the signed this bloke on loan.

This is a stop gap because Ronaldo forced his way out. Ten Hag has no money to spend and I suspect is targeting a big name striker in the summer. This bloke is patently not good enough long term but at least is a player who offers something different and who'll put a bit of work in and who the manager feels he can get something out of.

Martial (the only other option) is 6 years in and supposedly has talent. It should be easy enough for him to force his way in. Let's see if he does.
Yes, and? I've not argued or written anything contrary to this. But if he's going to be more than a 10-minute substitute, he needs to provide more than he's done so far. And his first two games haven't been promising, though we should keep in mind that he really hasn't had much time to adjust.

justsomebloke

Exactly. Rarely fit and when he is, hardly looks interested.
Martial has started 6 games and has 3 goals and 2 assists.

The simple fact is Martial has produced the goods for us this season, when he has been healthy enough to play. Based on Weghorst's first two games, there's not even a debate about which of the two offers more, it's self-evidently Martial.

Castia

The simple fact is Martial has produced the goods for us this season, when he has been healthy enough to play. Based on Weghorst's first two games, there's not even a debate about which of the two offers more, it's self-evidently Martial.
Neither should be in the team that’s the point.

59 league goals Martial has got since 2015 :lol: an average of 7 a season. Embarrassing.

Mr PG

Wout was quite good yesterday otherwise the manager would have subbed him. Helped out a lot from the front in pressing in situations where Martial would have been standing around. We just couldn't get the ball to our front players today.

Paul778

We have a big problem up front. It's either Rashford to do something magic or Bruno to play someone in.

It's a bit hard to blame WW but Anthony has been here all season.

justsomebloke

Neither should be in the team that’s the point.

59 league goals Martial has got since 2015 :lol: an average of 7 a season. Embarrassing.
On the other hand, he's got a team-best 0.59 per 90 played this season. So.

Zippycup

Clearly that's why Ten Hag wanted him - to offer a different option, and it's an option he's seen fit to use in the last two games. Seems your criticism is of the manager and his tactics, not the player.
Why can't it be both?

DownRiver

I’m actually disappointed about his inability to win long balls. Yes, he has other great attributes - but it’s like he is not using his height as an attribute to spite anyone that says he can’t pass and hold up balls.

time and time again, Arsenal’s defenders where winning headers, Martial would win more balls in my opinion if they played the same game. He needs to do so so much better than that.

Castia

On the other hand, he's got a team-best 0.59 per 90 played this season. So.
In what 6 starts? averaging 1 game a month? please.

Hes on for a stunning 6 goals this season if the second half of his season is like the first.

mu4c_20le

I’m actually disappointed about his inability to win long balls. Yes, he has other great attributes - but it’s like he is not using his height as an attribute to spite anyone that says he can’t pass and hold up balls.

time and time again, Arsenal’s defenders where winning headers, Martial would win more balls in my opinion if they played the same game. He needs to do so so much better than that.
Most freakishly tall people aren't great in the air

croadyman

Yeah when he is healthy being the key point

Status
Not open for further replies.