Wout Weghorst - Manchester United Player (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

The fans do it everytime, big up potential signings to no end and ending up tearing them apart when they don’t meet that misplaced expectation.

You have to feel for him, it’s not his fault that he’s a rather average journeyman striker who spent all of his career to date at clubs nowhere near the size of Utd, and here he is being eviscerated by things outside of his control.
Most reasonable people know to expect a backup. He's here to lay the ball off and contribute not score goals. Another spectrum of the problem is the stupidity of putting down our other established attackers down for not helping him be a better player. I mean, antony and rashford should not be blamed for not crossing to him. He's here to help the attack not become the focal point. I also think we should keep him in the back up role instead of the kneejerks asking to be a starter. That's just setting him up to fail because he can't rank great if we were to start using starting player expectations.

norm87cro

Since we were s... against Arsenal I really cant judge him yet. But his 180 minutes are up and I excpect something in the next two games

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He was signed as a back up but it's becoming pretty clear we're going to be relying on him to produce as first choice for the rest of the season.

We're a far better team with Martial but he's never available.

Greck

He was signed as a back up but it's becoming pretty clear we're going to be relying on him to produce as first choice for the rest of the season.

We're a far better team with Martial but he's never available.
This is why the Sancho situation is also difficult. Sure there are many frontline combinations Erik would like to try without Ronaldo clogging the position but all options have been chronically unavailable. Hopefully they return soon because overusing Wout wouldn't even be fair on Wout.

Last edited:

wangyu

If we get top 4 without a decent consistent striker then Ten Hag has done very well. Based on 2 games Weghorst is not going to score more than 5 goals this season. I hoped he would be more of a presence in the box, maybe he will be when we start dominating games again, something we failed to do in the 2 games he played. So the jury is still out I guess.

troylocker

He's shown in the past that he is both a good goalscorer, good contributor and works his socks off. He's never played for a dominant team before, so it'll be exciting to see if he falls through or takes his game to the next level. If we need him to start games, it is fair to have some expectations of returns from him. The next few games will be important.

Real Name

Certainly better than throwing our 90 million flop right winger in there to play like a striker.

Dominos

I still feel if Martial is out we're probably best playing Rashford up top for our most important games. We have Garnacho waiting for playing time and Sancho hopefully returns soon.

Rashford's overall best position may be left side but he's still scoring whenever asked to play up front and we're probably going to be better team overall if we get both Garnacho and Rashford in the same team.

RedIan

Absolutely agree. We have plenty of wide options. Garnacho, Anthony, Sancho, Pellistri, Elanga…
what we dont have is options for a central striker with Martial virtually a full time resident in the sick bay.
Rashford at CF, Garnacho left, Sancho/Anthony/Pellistri right looks formidable. wout Workhorse on the bench and rotate when we are comfortably ahead.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Since we were s... against Arsenal I really cant judge him yet. But his 180 minutes are up and I excpect something in the next two games
S......standing for shite? We appear to have redefined what shite is since last season. I remember what shite used to look like.

Irwin99

Been fine so far, even without the goal tonight. Not brilliant but hardly terrible and has some obvious good points (pressing and link up play)

Think people expect Pele or something. He’s here to be a squad player that contributes. He’s doing that.

glasgow 21

Certainly better than throwing our 90 million flop right winger in there to play like a striker.
Your a great supporter you don't even know the right price. ETH has increased the value of every single player more than what Antony has cost so he has a free hit as far as I'm concerned. Yeah, lets join the sheep and write Anthony off after 3 month. Really?. Why not pick a team at xmas who's winning and follow them . Sounds like you were making decisions at Chelsea when De Bruyne and Salah were there.

Last edited:

Wheato

Seems to have picked up a couple yards of pace tonight, because he looked slow in the first two games. He won us the ball back on numerous occasions, bailed Antony out when he was running down blind alleys. He got his goal which allowed us to relax more. He cut out a couple of their passes from the back, stopping them from springing counter attacks. Gave their center backs plenty to think about all night, dragging them all over the place. Played some nice link up moves with Bruno, and bringing others in. On the whole, he's doing a decent job up there.

abailey123

I said 10 goals all comps we’d be happy with
9 to go. He’s only been with us a week.
His hold up play is brilliant.
He works hard
He’s fit (unlike Martial)
I think someone like Sancho will love playing off him.

What’s not to like?

Abraxas

He does as expected really. Holds it up, got on the scoresheet tonight, occupies defenders in the middle of the goal giving a bit of space out wide.

I don't think he is going to produce many miracle moments in games but as someone to do a job on loan for a few months he's fine. Only gets stick (mainly by neutrals) because of his bloody name and size, if he was 6'0 with a normal name it'd just be a common sense signing.

AndyMUFC

Really pleased for him tonight as we don't exactly give our strikers much service and his hold up and link up is really good to be fair.

Will absolutely do a job for a few months.

pogbasformerbarber

He does as expected really. Holds it up, got on the scoresheet tonight, occupies defenders in the middle of the goal giving a bit of space out wide.

I don't think he is going to produce many miracle moments in games but as someone to do a job on loan for a few months he's fine. Only gets stick (mainly by neutrals) because of his bloody name and size, if he was 6'0 with a normal name it'd just be a common sense signing.
Um yeah, he certainly lacks a history of miracle moments lately...

Loon

:lol:
He's not got the quickest turning circle, but he's a nuisance in the tackle.

norm87cro

S......standing for shite? We appear to have redefined what shite is since last season. I remember what shite used to look like.
Well we were. A brilliant solo goal and a GK error being our two goals. Arsenal ouplayed us of the park. Btw is your CAF name a Smiths reference?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well we were. A brilliant solo goal and a GK error being our two goals. Arsenal ouplayed us of the park. Btw is your CAF name a Smiths reference?
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Maybe you only caught the last 15 minutes? On the Smiths reference, however, you are correct.

croadyman

Something tells me there could be a winner at Wembley,Anfield or maybe even Nou Camp in him. I will probably be totally wrong but gonna believe its possible until then.

Jeffthered

He's playing well. So pleased he got his goal, which was an excellent finish, excellent, as that is not an easy chance. He's willing to learn, works hard, and is opening up the game for others. V tidy on the ball, and makes the right decisions.

let's keep supporting him, because he clearly wants to take this opportunity, and give 100%, and as a fan, I cannot fault that at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought it was good ja, so ja, Im happy ja. Van Gaal is obviously a different koek.

LordSpud

He's like a shield for the ball going into midfield. And then Casemiro is a shield in front of a very good defence.

De Gea must be feeling safe these days.

Mike Smalling

I would love to see a compilation of all his touches yesterday. It felt like he did a lot of stuff right.

Status
Not open for further replies.