Wowzers! Gignac’s goals in Mexico are something else

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Christ on a bike, could barely believe a player who looked as useless as he did, could score goals like that. Some bad keeping in there but my word his technique is incredible in nearly every goal. He looked like a donkey in Europe, didn’t know he was capable of striking a ball that well.

RobbieBerns

Big fish in a little pond syndrome. Happened with Giovinco at Toronto FC for the couple of years he was there in MLS. Taking nothing away from these players or the remarkable feats they pulled off in their respective leagues of course.

OleBoiii

While a lot of those clips certainly are impressive, this is an example of just how much the "boring" things matter, namely: time and space.

A lot of seemingly useless players are capable of producing some absolute magic if given enough time or space. The same is true on every level of the game. Think about that guy who tears your Sunday football league apart and looks like Messi while doing it. He's a probably nobody on a semi-professional level.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Christ on a bike, could barely believe a player who looked as useless as he did, could score goals like that. Some bad keeping in there but my word his technique is incredible in nearly every goal. He looked like a donkey in Europe, didn’t know he was capable of striking a ball that well.
Jesus how bad are defenders in the Mexican league?

drdoityourself

Pretty poor for France but his goal scoring ratio at Marseille was good, had one very good season at Toulouse and has performed in a Mexican league for years now.

Impressive goals no matter where they are scored, he never played in the big four leagues so people will only look at his international record to rate him. He's better than that. My biggest gripe is his first name has an unnatural feel, should be Pierre-André, flows much better than André-Pierre.

AFC NimbleThumb

Some of the goalkeeping is tragic but a very nice highlight reel for him to show the grandkids.

hobbers

Wow. The standard of goalkeeping and defending there is less than high school level. :lol:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Big fish in a little pond syndrome. Happened with Giovinco at Toronto FC for the couple of years he was there in MLS. Taking nothing away from these players or the remarkable feats they pulled off in their respective leagues of course.
Happened with Carlos Vela as well. Looks like Messi in the MLS.

Charles Miller

Pretty poor for France but his goal scoring ratio at Marseille was good, had one very good season at Toulouse and has performed in a Mexican league for years now.

Impressive goals no matter where they are scored, he never played in the big four leagues so people will only look at his international record to rate him. He's better than that. My biggest gripe is his first name has an unnatural feel, should be Pierre-André, flows much better than André-Pierre.
I agree with that. Just like Elton John is an unnatural name. Should be John Elton.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's always been a pretty good player and his time in France is underrated whatever those who only watched him a couple times think.
He has himself to blame for putting too much weight at times. He seems fitter in the Mexico footage than he used to.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I thought the general opinion of him when he was in Ligue 1 was that he was an inconsistent, but talented player rather than a donkey?.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's interesting to me is that Mexico has a 130 million population with a big football culture, yet their NT has been underwhelming for a long time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's always been a pretty good player and his time in France is underrated whatever those who only watched him a couple times think.
He has himself to blame for putting too much weight at times. He seems fitter in the Mexico footage than he used to.
I was going to say the same thing, it's fairly strange to see people label him as pretty poor. He has been a way above average striker in France, the only issue is that he has no discipline when it comes to fitness. He is also supposed to be one of nicest player according to several journalists.

YankManc

The Mexican league defending is not great, however, but most of these goals are really impressive regardless. The goalkeepers are at a disadvantage due to the time and space he has but most of these are perfectly placed, unstoppable goals, which is hard to do with the techniques he’s using.
I see the comments about Giovinco and Vela in the MLS doing the same. The goal tallies might be similar and the defending may be on par but they aren’t scoring goals like Gignac is in this video.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The Mexican league defending is not great, however, but most of these goals are really impressive regardless. The goalkeepers are at a disadvantage due to the time and space he has but most of these are perfectly placed, unstoppable goals, which is hard to do with the techniques he’s using.
I see the comments about Giovinco and Vela in the MLS doing the same. The goal tallies might be similar and the defending may be on par but they aren’t scoring goals like Gignac is in this video.
Yes they are. Gignac maybe has a couple more scissor kicks but his overall dribbling is also nowhere even near both of them. Gio was one of the best free kick takers in the world and scored several of the same long shots. While also being a better creator and taking the piss out of defenders with his dribbling as well.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
you guys talk like Gignac wasn't a prolific player in ligue 1. "donkey" is a stretch for people who only watched him in the euros that one time

flappyjay

I thought the general opinion of him when he was in Ligue 1 was that he was an inconsistent, but talented player rather than a donkey?.
He is just like Giroud if you don't pay too much attention to him you would think he is just a donkey. Their all round play is top club level but their goal output is Everton level.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Good goals, thanks for sharing.

Gignac was always a decent striker, never close to elite but very good in Ligue Une. An equivalent would be somebody like Hugo Almeida (although I think Gignac is better).

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
What's with the people saying he was a nobody in Europe? He was in the French national team, and his last season at marseille he scored 21 goals, more than zlatan did for psg that same season. Of course he is not better than zlatan, but he was without a doubt one of the best strikers of ligue 1.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Ye, the typical talented but lazy striker. People here like to throw in the word donkey a bit too easy.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Come on, the defending in the Mexican league is not on par with MLS. The mls has been improving year after year, but the Mexican league is still miles better. For reference, in the equivalent of the champioms league of the concacaf region, Mexican teams have won it 14 times in a row, MLS teams have never won it.

Bobski

Levels, a slightly above average player in one of the top leagues in Europe is still a special talent.

Do people not understand the depth of talent in football and how hard it is to get to the top? The numbers playing mean you have be exceptional.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why are the goal nets so big

crossy1686

career ending
Don't know what all the fuss is, I distinctly remember him doing this sort of shit against me every online game on PES. He was an absolute piss take.

GazTheLegend

While a lot of those clips certainly are impressive, this is an example of just how much the "boring" things matter, namely: time and space.

A lot of seemingly useless players are capable of producing some absolute magic if given enough time or space. The same is true on every level of the game. Think about that guy who tears your Sunday football league apart and looks like Messi while doing it. He's a probably nobody on a semi-professional level.
Yea well put

It's why players that can score 20-30 goals in the championship can't do a thing in the premier League (looking at you, Tom Ince)

They just get so much more time on the ball

Eriku

Levels, a slightly above average player in one of the top leagues in Europe is still a special talent.

Do people not understand the depth of talent in football and how hard it is to get to the top? The numbers playing mean you have be exceptional.
Most people have no clue. Which is why they feel they can shout about Lingard being absolute pish and that their nan would be an improvement.

billybee99

Most people have no clue. Which is why they feel they can shout about Lingard being absolute pish and that their nan would be an improvement.
Nah, Lingard is absolute pish by any standard. And my nan absolutely would be an improvement.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

Well said.

People talking about high school defending etc don't realise how good you have to be to even have a sniff at a top league.

Not even that, but the u15s and u16s of some not so good European clubs are so insanely good that it blows my mind.

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

This guy was highly regarded not that long ago. Some people even wanted him as a cheeky punt at the beginning of the previous decade where he was scoring goals in ligue 1. I opened this thread just to be sure it's the same Gignac and what he's doing in Fecking mexico.

VictoriaRed

Some silly replies, here. Time and space, sure. The ability to finish like that is not ordinary; fantastic goals all around.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Happened with Carlos Vela as well. Looks like Messi in the MLS.
Alfreð Finnbogason (Augsburg and Iceland player) was recently asked on a podcast who are the best players he's played with. He said the most gifted footballer he played with was Vela. One of those players that with the right mindset could have become world class.