WSL 19/20 | City v United - at the Etihad - 7 Sept

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
And guess who we have up first? Manchester City away! Can't bloody wait!!

Full list of fixtures to be played on September 7-8th:

Arsenal v West Ham United
Birmingham City v Everton
Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion
Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool v Reading
Manchester City v Manchester United

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Seems a bit daft to wait so long to reveal the rest. Great first fixture though.
I think it's fair to assume the opening day fixtures have been rigged to let the clubs do a bit of publicity ahead of time. The rest of the fixtures are coming out after the WC finishes, maybe so they don't get lost in the news cycle. Odd, but a tactical choice I think.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think it's fair to assume the opening day fixtures have been rigged to let the clubs do a bit of publicity ahead of time. The rest of the fixtures are coming out after the WC finishes, maybe so they don't get lost in the news cycle. Odd, but a tactical choice I think.
yep they have, it's also international weekend so they will be hoping for bumper crowds

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
And guess who we have up first? Manchester City away! Can't bloody wait!!

Full list of fixtures to be played on September 7-8th:

Arsenal v West Ham United
Birmingham City v Everton
Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion
Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur
Liverpool v Reading
Manchester City v Manchester United

Let's just hope City don't make it a behind closed door fixture with only the players parents allowed for supposed security reasons. :lol:

Grande

Arse vs Hammers and Chelsea vs spurs as well. How come there’s no Merseyside derby as well? :)

Expect we’ll get as tough a start as it gets, and that the next few games maight be important not to fall too far behind from the start for the young girls.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Arse vs Hammers and Chelsea vs spurs as well. How come there’s no Merseyside derby as well? :)

Expect we’ll get as tough a start as it gets, and that the next few games maight be important not to fall too far behind from the start for the young girls.
I'm guessing the Liverpool clubs want to save it for later. When we played Liverpool in the cup, they didn't announce the stadium until about a week before the match. Everton played us in Southport, which is an hour away from Goodison Park.

Though they've both had women's teams for years and Liverpool won the league 5 years ago, neither team have really put much into their women's team for a while. I'm guessing the FA have asked everyone to try and use the WWC to bump up attendance/publicity and they think they'll do better later in the season.

Quite a few of the women's teams haven't even sent out a tweet since the end of last season. So there's definitely room for improvement out there.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Been confirmed that both Chelsea/Spurs and City/United will be played in Stamford Bridge & Etihad Stadium. Free entry at Chelsea, but £7 a ticket for the game at City. I'll definitely be going, but I'm not sure if I should be buying tickets now or at the gate. United haven't confirmed anything yet, but it looks like there might be separate areas for home and away fans. Hopefully there is.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Been confirmed that both Chelsea/Spurs and City/United will be played in Stamford Bridge & Etihad Stadium. Free entry at Chelsea, but £7 a ticket for the game at City. I'll definitely be going, but I'm not sure if I should be buying tickets now or at the gate. United haven't confirmed anything yet, but it looks like there might be separate areas for home and away fans. Hopefully there is.
Sounds good. Odd as it might sound - I'm pleased to see them charging for it as well!

Though the adult price is £7, accompanied children go free (up to 3 kids per adult) so they're sticking to the make it a cheap day out for the family philosophy. I guess we'll hear from United at some point about how they want to handle sales, or if they're leaving it up to City/going with a no segregation policy.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Tickets in the United section available now. Which feels way too early to me, but there we go.

Apparently to get the special offer for free tickets for accompanied U16s you need to call the ticket office. The tickets may go off sale for a while, as United didn't get very many in the initial allocation. - in fact I assume we were given just enough to stop the real keen ones calling the ticket office and moaning about having to buy them from City :lol:

They do say they'll get more - so you don't have to buy City end tickets if sales stop temporarily.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Tickets for the match available from United at https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership/details/event.aspx?itemref=10292

A number of United (and City) players will be away with their national teams for a week or so before the derby. Most of them are (potentially) playing two Euro group stage matches - and won't actually arrive back until the Wednesday/Thursday before the match.
Abbie McManus and Mary Earps are with England (playing friendly matches)
Kirsty Smith, Lizzy Arnot and Jane Ross are with Scotland
Hayley Ladd is with Wales
Jackie Groenen is with the Netherlands

How much impact that will have on team selection we'll have to wait and see, but it will certainly have an impact on our pre-season training.

Ellen White and Karen Bardsley are not in the England squad due to injury, and from the way Phil Neville said it, it sounds like they're not expected to be fit in time to play us.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A number of United (and City) players will be away with their national teams for a week or so before the derby. Most of them are (potentially) playing two Euro group stage matches - and won't actually arrive back until the Wednesday/Thursday before the match.
Abbie McManus and Mary Earps are with England (playing friendly matches)
Kirsty Smith, Lizzy Arnot and Jane Ross are with Scotland
Hayley Ladd is with Wales
Jackie Groenen is with the Netherlands
In addition to that list - Ella Toone is away with England U21s and Lotta Oqvist is with Sweden U21 - they're playing in a mini-tournament along with Norway and USA. It's called the Nordic Tournament but it's being played at Loughborough.

Casey Stoney was apparently there watching yesterday, the only manager who was. But then, she doesn't have a lot of players training right now.

Hopefully they'll all stay fit. It would good to see our new players like Abbie McManus and Jackie Groenen at 100% next weekend.

Anyone else going to the match?

Tickets at https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership/details/event.aspx?itemref=10292
Adults £7
Concessions (U16 and 65+) £2

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I'm going with some family. I had a quick look on the City website last night to see how many tickets had already been sold. Looks like half of the bottom tier around the stadium have been mostly sold. If they open up more of the stadium for those who turn up on the day we could get around 10k tickets sold, which would be fantastic.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm going with some family. I had a quick look on the City website last night to see how many tickets had already been sold. Looks like half of the bottom tier around the stadium have been mostly sold. If they open up more of the stadium for those who turn up on the day we could get around 10k tickets sold, which would be fantastic.
I'm hoping we'll see a bit of a push from the clubs after the weekend. Even the United women's Twitter account isn't putting out many reminders at the moment.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another build-up article:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ester-united-derby-wsl?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Incidentally United are currently showing the match as "Sold Out" on the ticketing site.
https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership/Events/Index
This did happen a couple of times earlier in the sale and United got extra blocks. As far as I can tell United are selling what's the usual Etihad away section, in the South Stand.

For this game, I was expecting them to try and sell out the lower tier first - as that should give it the nicest feel for the players (and give the best impression to the cameras!). However on Saturday United were selling tickets at the back of the tier which suggests they're filling up that. Hopefully United will get another batch of tickets to sell. That said, segregation shouldn't be a big deal for the game, despite it being a derby.

Looking on the City site they're now selling tier2 - https://tickets.mancity.com/en-GB/events/manchester city women v manchester united women/2019-9-7_15.00/the etihad stadium?hallmap

Could be a nice turnout.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United have another batch of tickets. Not great that they went off sale for a day the weekend before the match, but I guess it's just a fact of life that no one really knows how many tickets can be sold.

City are gradually opening up more of tier2 - a couple of sections at a time.

The links above are both still active though with the need to post out tickets I guess sales will stop soon.

Meanwhile the United women's twitter feed hasn't advertised ticket sales for a couple of weeks now. City's women's twitter feed hasn't posted at all for the past two weeks. As far as I can see the only ads with links to ticket sales are running from https://twitter.com/ManCityHelp and a few fan accounts. Odd way to push sales for a game :smirk:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United ran out of tickets again a day or so ago, and aren't expecting any more.

City are continuing to sell tier2. As far as I can tell United have south stand T1. City are using the Colin Bell Stand and North stand/family stand and are currently selling T2 of the North stand.

I haven't seen any east stand tickets for sale - maybe those will be available from their ticket office on the day? Not sure if South stand T2 will be open (it looks like it won't unless it's sold on the day) a bit of a shame if anyone's been put off by United's on/off ticket availability.

Anyway, derby day approaches:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

United very quiet on the subject of the derby. Nothing on the main twitter feed, next to nothing on the United women's account.

City's women's twitter feed is silent - maybe it only runs as a live match thing? The main City account though doesn't look nearly so embarrassed about the idea of the women playing - they've even changed their profile picture to an ad for the match. Perhaps they don't get the number of obnoxious posts in reply that United get? Maybe they're just more confident about the game :eek:

Last edited:

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
United very quiet on the subject of the derby. Nothing on the main twitter feed, next to nothing on the United women's account.

City's women's twitter feed is silent - maybe it only runs as a live match thing? The main City account though doesn't look nearly so embarrassed about the idea of the women playing - they've even changed their profile picture to an ad for the match. Perhaps they don't get the number of obnoxious posts in reply that United get? Maybe they're just more confident about the game :eek:
City run all men's and women's news from the main Twitter now after the 'One City, One Goal' campaign last year. The only time the women's feed is used is on matchday for the commentary.

Reactions: jojojo

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United's online sales stopped a couple of days ago, but it sounds like City are going to offer away end tickets on the day.

City are currently selling East Stand Tier 2 tickets online.

Grande

Yes, game is televised live in Norway! Also rumours about a Norwegian goalkeeper to give Ramsey a run for the second GK spot. Expecting Mary ‘Wyatt’ Earps to claim the no 1 in Chamberlain’s absence.

I’m hoping we’ll give City a run for their money, even if they’re huge favorites.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
New season. Anyone want to play the guess the team?

Mary Earps
Martha Harris
Abbie McManus
Millie Turner
Lotta Okvist
Hayley Ladd
Katie Zelem
Jackie Groenen
Ella Toone
Jane Ross
Leah Galton

Maybe...

Or will some of those who played internationals this week not be ready to start? Does Lotta need more time with the team before she plays? When will our wild card, Lauren James, come on? Who else are we expecting to see today?

Codie

Do we think there will be a possibility to stream this match on the usual sites? I see it’s on BT but I unfortunately don’t have a subscription.

It’s a shame I didn’t hear about this earlier or I would have made plans to get up to Manchester for this today!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
@jojojo has that been confirmed they have sold over 20k tickets for the game? Is so that’s amazing.
The 20k figure is what City have told the reporters who cover WSL so it should be true. Watching the City ticketing site this week, they've gradually been opening tier 2, offering only two or three blocks of the ground for sale at a time - and basically selling them to capacity before moving on to the next. So the 20k is no surprise.

The disappointing thing is that it looks like they gave South Stand to United but only in small batches. United kept selling out of tickets, then getting some more, but haven't had tickets for days. It looks like United have filled South Stand T1, but haven't had T2 tickets. Maybe they're the ones that are for sale on the gate today?

I guess it's all very new, and both clubs are a bit nervous about how to handle it. At any rate I'm hoping to see a good turnout :D

Andersons Dietician

Do we think there will be a possibility to stream this match on the usual sites? I see it’s on BT but I unfortunately don’t have a subscription.

It’s a shame I didn’t hear about this earlier or I would have made plans to get up to Manchester for this today!
Every WSL game this season is streaming for free on the FA player I think it is called.

@jojojo I mean that’s still a pretty incredible turnout. Hopefully our home fixture against them can be at OT. I just read as well that for every paying adult you can take up to 3 children under the age of 16 for free.

croadyman

Personally I am surprised this game isn't going to be live on MUTV,especially considering there isn't a mens Utd match this weekend

Codie

Every WSL game this season is streaming for free on the FA player I think it is called.

@jojojo I mean that’s still a pretty incredible turnout. Hopefully our home fixture against them can be at OT. I just read as well that for every paying adult you can take up to 3 children under the age of 16 for free.
Ah cool! Cheers!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty sure it'll be a close game. Don't think there is much between the sides bar City having more real quality. Think it'll play out similar to the Arsenal cup game (Where Miedema was the difference)