WSL 19/20 | United women v Liverpool | Saturday 28th Sept - 12 noon

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unfortunately marred by hillsborough chants being referred to the Police. Embarrassing and disgusting, hope they catch the scumbags who participated

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Is "Always the victims..." considered a Hillsborough chant? As far as I'm aware it can reference a lot of things and I've never thought of it as something that's exclusively mocking Hillsborough, especially when you hear it at OT all the time.

BarcaSpurs

Is "Always the victims..." considered a Hillsborough chant? As far as I'm aware it can reference a lot of things and I've never thought of it as something that's exclusively mocking Hillsborough, especially when you hear it at OT all the time.
I believe the expression became prevalent after Boris Johnson accused the people of Liverpool as wallowing in 'Victim Status' referring to the events of Hillsborough.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-an-entire-city-shy-and-his-boss-543923.html

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes it is, and the people doing it know that fully well

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I believe the expression became prevalent after Boris Johnson accused the people of Liverpool as wallowing in 'Victim Status' referring to the events of Hillsborough.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-an-entire-city-shy-and-his-boss-543923.html
Thanks for clarifying. For what it's worth, I was at the match and didn't hear those chants. I assume it must have come form the Barmy Army if anyone, but they've been equally critical about it on Twitter so I have no idea where the chants came from.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yep.

Really sad for it to obscure what otherwise was a great day for the team.

I didn't catch the game but I saw the goal the kid scored to give us the lead and that was pretty impressive for someone her age.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I didn't hear it. I was sat in West stand. There were a few choruses of you'll never get a job, but the rest of it seemed to be the standard chants about our players.

That said, not every song carries across the whole West stand. And I didn't hear any chants from South stand at all though I know there were some, because are one point the barmy army (in West stand) sang, "we'd forgotten that you're here" presumably in reply to a Liverpool chant. Maybe something happened with a group of fans somewhere, it's certainly not impossible - but it wasn't audible across the rest of the ground.

Okey

I thought this is a regular OT chant when we play Liverpool. Has it been banned now?

Okey

Don't you think it should ?
I'm not really in a position to say. The words themselves make no specific reference and I was unaware of what deeper history may lie behind them. I didn't know it was specifically linked to Hillsborough. Mine is an honest question, cos it sounded strange reading that a song I regularly hear at OT is suddenly being reported for being offensive.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
That's not true.

The chant only came about in the immediate aftermath of the Suarez-Evra incident. It doesn't refer to Hilsborough (and wouldn't even make sense if it did).
The chant has been around long before Suarez Evra. It does refer to Hilsborough and you must be very young and know nothing about what happened if you don't get the disgusting insinuation of it. It is now used for everything else, but originated about Hilsborough. They sing about Munich and other clubs taunt each other about past tragedies, no place for it, disrespectful and must be awful for family and friends affected when they experience it. It's childish at best, more so insensitive low life cowardly behaviour. Plenty of songs to not have to sink to such levels.

Pity that this is even making headlines when it should of been a great moment for our ladies and all about them and the football.

Reactions: golden_blunder

golden_blunder

Staff
That's not true.

The chant only came about in the immediate aftermath of the Suarez-Evra incident. It doesn't refer to Hilsborough (and wouldn't even make sense if it did).
Many years ago, the now PM wrote an article referencing hillsborough saying Liverpool have a victim mentality or words to that effect. I believe the song came about from that, this was a long time prior to Suarez-Evra

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
That's not true.

Here’s a thought, given the significant weight the word carries, maybe it should just not be used. That way we can move on from the glib debate that ensues when it is used.

Madthinker

The chant has been around long before Suarez Evra. It does refer to Hilsborough and you must be very young and know nothing about what happened if you don't get the disgusting insinuation of it. It is now used for everything else, but originated about Hilsborough. They sing about Munich and other clubs taunt each other about past tragedies, no place for it, disrespectful and must be awful for family and friends affected when they experience it. It's childish at best, more so insensitive low life cowardly behaviour. Plenty of songs to not have to sink to such levels.

Pity that this is even making headlines when it should of been a great moment for our ladies and all about them and the football.
Presumably then, you can find a number or references to the chant - in newspaper articles, blogs, fan sites, forums etc, pre-dating the Suarez-Evra incident?

Madthinker

Many years ago, the now PM wrote an article referencing hillsborough saying Liverpool have a victim mentality or words to that effect. I believe the song came about from that, this was a long time prior to Suarez-Evra
I know the article you refer to, but I see no evidence that it is the basis for the chant.

Happy to be proven wrong, but as per the above - can you find a single reference to the chant that pre-dates the Suarez-Evra affair?

golden_blunder

Staff
I know the article you refer to, but I see no evidence that it is the basis for the chant.

Happy to be proven wrong, but as per the above - can you find a single reference to the chant that pre-dates the Suarez-Evra affair?
I think you will need to ask that question to regulars of United-Liverpool matches.

Don’t you think that a chant borne out of the Suarez affair would be more about defending racism or calling them racist lovers rather than the victims thing?

I suspect the issue hasn’t raised its head before because it’s not been included in official club after match reports before. Maybe the ladies are more sensitive to it I don’t know.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I suspect the issue hasn’t raised its head before because it’s not been included in official club after match reports before. Maybe the ladies are more sensitive to it I don’t know.
I think that additional sensitivity is certainly the case, though maybe we'll see the same complaints from the men's team after the next OT match. The Liverpool manager said she considered the United fans disrespectful in an interview with the Liverpool Echo last week, before we even played them.

Some Arsenal fans complained because we didn't applaud Jordan Nobbs when she got subbed against us last week. It's become a bit of a theme amongst the women's football traditionalists that we're introducing unwelcome men's game tribalism into the mix.

I didn't hear the chants. I'm told there were a couple of choruses of, "if you all hate the scousers" and "always the victims", but from how many and where, I don't know.

The stadium did air a standard "obscenities" warning over the PA at the start of the second half. But I must admit I'd assumed that someone had sung the OT version of You'll never get a job, or the original (not modified for the women's team as per the Barmy Army songbook) version of, "United are the team for me."

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I wasn’t there so no. But don’t need to have been there. Liverpool’s women’s team reported the chant in their official after match report to the FA.
Chill, just asking as only heard it from media outlets and would have liked to hear it from someone there than jump on United fans based on media/Liverpool reports

lsd

The Oracle
Here’s a thought, given the significant weight the word carries, maybe it should just not be used. That way we can move on from the glib debate that ensues when it is used.

This

Colin Clarke

2-0 Well atleast one of our senior teams can beat Liverpool. Well done girls. I hope the men's take some inspiration from you.