WSL 20/21 | Aston Villa v United - 12:30 on Sat 5 December

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So after the pause for the international break, we're back in action with four games to play before the 20th December. First up is our away game to Villa on Saturday - it's available live/free in most countries on FAPlayer.

Our first pro League match (WSL Championship) was back in September 2018 against Villa - it was a big day for us.

SuperLJ

Great to see a thread dedicated to the women's team!

I am a long time season ticket holder with the women's team, and I am loving this season so far!

Bring on the Villa!

I have no idea about what team is going to play tomorrow, as there are just so many different options for Casey to use.

I would love to see LJ start, as she needs the game time, but can she & Tooney do so with Press & Heath?

Will Abbie come back & break up the two Turner's at the back partnership??

Any chance of seeing Fuso make her debut any time soon??

Can captain Katie get a start??

Will Leah be at full back/wing back again??

I can't answer any of these questions, can anyone else??!

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
I actually reported on those 2 games from the debut season on a Trinidad and Tobago Man United supporters group on Facebook. It was a lot of fun to watch and I was in total amazement at the attacking football they played in the first game. The second game when we won promotion is 3rd on my list behind the Crystal Palace game where we won the title and the Lewes game is top since we lifted the Championship title.

Aston Villa have improved somewhat since getting promoted but Casey is weary of them, hell even I would feel the same way especially after Villa we face Reading after.

SuperLJ

I actually reported on those 2 games from the debut season on a Trinidad and Tobago Man United supporters group on Facebook. It was a lot of fun to watch and I was in total amazement at the attacking football they played in the first game. The second game when we won promotion is 3rd on my list behind the Crystal Palace game where we won the title and the Lewes game is top since we lifted the Championship title.

Aston Villa have improved somewhat since getting promoted but Casey is weary of them, hell even I would feel the same way especially after Villa we face Reading after.

We have an abysmally poor record away to Reading, even at home to them, I think that we only have one win against them, and there is that Katie Zelem headball penalty incident of last season which is still very fresh in my mind.

That is a far harder game for me, then City/Arsenal or Chelsea, just because of what has gone on there when we have played there.

This upcoming Villa game is one that we should be winning if we want to stay in the title race, especially if Everton can draw or beat City, to make the gap widen further between top and the places outside of the Champions League.

This weekend could prove pivotal of things go in our favour.

So vital to not have a slip up tomorrow, I am expecting a much tougher game then the last time that we played them away (yeah not THAT hard!!), and we will have to really be awake and aware of the threat that they will pose, no complacency should be allowed, as that is when silly points could get dropped.

madi5h

I would love to see LJ start, as she needs the game time, but can she & Tooney do so with Press & Heath?
i would love to see press on the left, heath on the right and LJ in the middle as a false 9, with heath and press playing as more inside forward than wingers
this would leave more space for galton and batlle on the overlap
basically we have perfect personnel to set up our attack similar to liverpools men

SuperLJ

i would love to see press on the left, heath on the right and LJ in the middle as a false 9, with heath and press playing as more inside forward than wingers
this would leave more space for galton and batlle on the overlap
basically we have perfect personnel to set up our attack similar to liverpools men

Our attacking threat is far better than Liverpool's men, let's not drag ourselves down to their poxy level!

We have sooo many fantastic attacking players, even with the very sad injury to Russo, of which I hope that she is back in time to help us lift both the WSL and FA cup trophies this season!

I would love to see how LJ would link up with Russo, due to their respective injuries this season, sadly we have not been able to see that in action.
As they are by a country distance the best young players in the league.

Whatever the team that we do put out tomorrow, I hope they we can win, as of we can, that would put huge pressure on both Everton and City, as going into that game City if we win, will be 8 points behind us, a huge margin, and that could play into how they go about that game.

Personally no matter what happens, I can't see see a way in which City get a Champions League place next season, ourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal have the three places sown up, it is just about who finishes where now I think.

Long way to go mind, but all three look pretty good, and there is a gap opening up between us and the teams outside of the top three.
City, despite Phil thinking that all of their players should be called up and England should be reclassified as Man City, are not that good a side, and rely on has beens like Steph and Bronze, whereas with ourselves, we have the best young players around, and a good spine to the side.

Roll on tomorrow!

Reactions: jojojo

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
We have an abysmally poor record away to Reading, even at home to them, I think that we only have one win against them, and there is that Katie Zelem headball penalty incident of last season which is still very fresh in my mind.

That is a far harder game for me, then City/Arsenal or Chelsea, just because of what has gone on there when we have played there.

This upcoming Villa game is one that we should be winning if we want to stay in the title race, especially if Everton can draw or beat City, to make the gap widen further between top and the places outside of the Champions League.

This weekend could prove pivotal of things go in our favour.

So vital to not have a slip up tomorrow, I am expecting a much tougher game then the last time that we played them away (yeah not THAT hard!!), and we will have to really be awake and aware of the threat that they will pose, no complacency should be allowed, as that is when silly points could get dropped.
Trust me every single one of us haven't forgotten that mind boggling screw job the ref pulled off against us which led to the 1-1 draw. Hoping for a little redemption when we face them on their turf

madi5h

Kirsty Hanson and Jess Sigsworth have picked up knocks and Christen Press is unavailable due to illness.
Ouch, the crazy amount of forward players we have is suddenly not lookin so crazy
on the plus side theres a good chance we will finally get a look at fuso

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
City, despite Phil thinking that all of their players should be called up and England should be reclassified as Man City, are not that good a side, and rely on has beens like Steph and Bronze, whereas with ourselves, we have the best young players around, and a good spine to the side.
I hope you're right about City. On a good day (or maybe just against weak opposition) they look good, but I think they're struggling for consistency. Unfortunately that may just be because it took the new manager a little while to start getting the team into the pattern he wants.

I know what you mean about Phil. I think he felt safe sticking with City players early on and became way too dependant on Houghton - maybe because he was scared of backlash from the squad if he removed the captain. She's perhaps been an important ally for him. I certainly don't see how she gets to be an automatic starter based on her form over the past couple of years.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to write off Bronze though! Overrated these days perhaps, but then we are talking about a player who's been considered one of the best in the world in any position. I reckon if City can use her well, she'll be very good for them.

I still think we'll make top 3 though. A good win against Villa today will set us up nicely for the Reading match.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Great goal , as the commentator said before United lead the league in goals scored after winning the ball in the opposition half

Bogga

We did, but didn't they have a very young side out then.
No idea... I've no clue whatsoever when it comes to the women and which teams are good/bad, under performing/over performing. Just happy that we've finally got a team and that they're performing well :)
Now when we've got a team I've started caring about the results for women and trying to gather some "knowledge" :P

madi5h

very unfortunate early injury to groenen, was very surprised when zelem didnt replace her and staniforth has been poor
only explaination i can think off is zelem is carrying a knock and not fit for 90 mins

this pitch looks pretty terrible too, ball moving slow and bobbleing is leveling the skill gap imo

SuperLJ

I hope you're right about City. On a good day (or maybe just against weak opposition) they look good, but I think they're struggling for consistency. Unfortunately that may just be because it took the new manager a little while to start getting the team into the pattern he wants.

I know what you mean about Phil. I think he felt safe sticking with City players early on and became way too dependant on Houghton - maybe because he was scared of backlash from the squad if he removed the captain. She's perhaps been an important ally for him. I certainly don't see how she gets to be an automatic starter based on her form over the past couple of years.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to write off Bronze though! Overrated these days perhaps, but then we are talking about a player who's been considered one of the best in the world in any position. I reckon if City can use her well, she'll be very good for them.

I still think we'll make top 3 though. A good win against Villa today will set us up nicely for the Reading match.

It could be that they are just adapting to a new manager, as Nick was there a decent amount of time.

However there is no doubt that they rely on past their respective prime players, and buying Bronze, or bringing her in from Lyon, was a hugely questionable decision, you have to ask yourself, why they were so happy to let her go, why didn't they try to sign her up for longer, if she was this "best player in the world"??

For me her legs have gone, she doesn't have the pace that she once did, is relying on her name value to get games.
She doesn't impress me these days, she was hugely impressive in her first stint at City, but you look at that player, and the one she is now, and she looks a shadow of her former self.

Steph, away from the pitch, really is the definition of a "Super Women", for what she does with her husband's illness, I have sooooo much respect for her in that respect.
However on the pitch, she again is a shadow of her former self, she gets all of the headlines as England captain, but she really doesn't warrant or deserve them from an on the pitch perspective.

White is another one that has been unbelievably poor, that gets a free pass by Phil, over say England from Chelsea.

Once Russo comes back from her injury, I expect her to outshine White, whose best was at Birmingham and Notts County, another one who is past her best for me.

So City are relying upon players who have plenty of name value, but their respective abilities are very much in the past, whereas with ourselves, we have many more younger players who are just coming into their respective prime years.

So I am very much more confident of finishing above them this season.

Reactions: jojojo

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Haven't seen much of Villa since they hit the crossbar. Less than 15 minutes left though so it's only a matter of time before they start piling bodies forward.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
So sloppy in the final third right now.