WSL 20/21 | general chat | January signings?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
so good to see this thread is such a positive place. Love it. The players deserve it and I have no doubt they have a peek in here too.

Grande

so good to see this thread is such a positive place. Love it. The players deserve it and I have no doubt they have a peek in here too.
No little credit to @jojojo, but also quite a few other sensible posters keeping the posts sensible :)

It’s been great following Casey and the crew from building up a team two years ago to now breaking into the top with promising players and good football.

SuperLJ

Having a look through the Guardian's top 100 women players, we don't get much love! Top ten revealed tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...100-best-female-footballers-in-the-world-2020
Amazing to think of all of these amazing players that are below us in the league table currently, shows what ab excellent job Casey and the team are doing!

And you have to laugh at Steph even being in the list and so far two vastly superior players in her position, Millie Turner and Amy Turner are not.

Steph definitely got in on name and reputation, rather than actual ability, as she has regressed soooo much.

Ladd deserves to be in this list, she us such a wonderful player in her role, she us vital for us.
If we win the league, and there are still players from the teams below us that are ahead of our players, in next years list, then it will be a complete farce.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Having a look through the Guardian's top 100 women players, we don't get much love! Top ten revealed tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...100-best-female-footballers-in-the-world-2020
Rich has already admitted Bouhaddi wont be on the list because he forgot to put her as an option. It looks like Puetelles isn't even in the 100 with is mad.

But it's not as bad as the FifaPro one. That has Lloyd, Ada and Pinoe, when they've barely played (if at all). It also has Utah's keeper and Defender Kelly O'Hara as a midfielder. Even Ali Krieger (who I do love) is a silly choice. Thing with FifaPro is it's voted by the players, so name recognition plays an even bigger role.

TrustInOle

Is the CL qualification same as the men's, means top 4 go through? If so could do with Arsenal grabbing a sneaky one, leave us 1 point clear but 5 safe from 5th. What an amazing start to the season this is.

Edit. Arsenal have an insane goal difference already.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is the CL qualification same as the men's, means top 4 go through? If so could do with Arsenal grabbing a sneaky one, leave us 1 point clear but 5 safe from 5th. What an amazing start to the season this is.

Edit. Arsenal have an insane goal difference already.
Top 3 I think.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
City win 2-1. Very annoying that - injury time goal, just when I was expecting to see two of our top 3 rivals drop points.
Just the top 3. It's previously been top two but it's going to be an expanded CL next year.

TrustInOle

Top 3 I think.
City win 2-1. Very annoying that - injury time goal, just when I was expecting to see two of our top 3 rivals drop points.

Just the top 3. It's previously been top two but it's going to be an expanded CL next year.
Thanks alot both, really, really sucks that City managed the win today then. Europe this season would be something special. :drool: would we be one of the fastest to qualify after founding?

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Thanks alot both, really, really sucks that City managed the win today then. Europe this season would be something special. :drool: would we be one of the fastest to qualify after founding?
Probably from England, although City might have their 2nd year after they were parachuted into the WSL. But Juve won the title their first season so went straight into Champions League their 2nd (Zelem gave that up to return and play for United).

Much more competitive this year though.

TrustInOle

Probably from England, although City might have their 2nd year after they were parachuted into the WSL. But Juve won the title their first season so went straight into Champions League their 2nd (Zelem gave that up to return and play for United).

Much more competitive this year though.
Ahhh, thanks alot, heard Zelem came from their, didn't realise they were so new also. Shows her love for us that though. Was gutted when we lost Greenwood, Lyon I can understand, but City, the very next season doesn't sit to will :lol: Hopefully win stay above them.

Been very impressed with Heath so far.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
1-1 would have been the perfect result for us.

It will be very important to score many goals against Bristol because it would be very annoying if the goal-difference will be a factor at the end of the season (especially if it would be again against a Manchester City team).

G-MUFC

The MUFC women's team are a breath of fresh air. Really impressed with Heath. Would be great to watch them play in European competition next season if we can qualify!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Article's mainly about Arsenal but kinda fascinating in how United are presented. Are we really also spending that much? Not exactly like Arsenal don't have a lot of big name players.

madi5h

personally i think the womens clubs and even more so united look very restrained, considering how little money is involved compared to the mens game it would be very easy to for one club to use money to dominate the rest and as i remember someone here explaining before there are no specific rules against this

however i have to admit based on the ground arsenal play at alone it does look like they have not being provided an equal footing with the rest of the big 4

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Article's mainly about Arsenal but kinda fascinating in how United are presented. Are we really also spending that much? Not exactly like Arsenal don't have a lot of big name players.

They release accounts for the clubs so we should be able to see information shortly.

Chelsea definately appear to spend the most. Then City.

Arsenal have big players (Viv etc), but alot of them have been there a few years and will be on their original contracts. So I'd assume Viv will be on alot less than Harder and Kerr at Chelsea. The Arsenal manager has said previously he likes a small squad. IMO this is a bad decision as they always have alot of injuries. There's also been recent indicators that some players are unhappy with his decisions and he publically critised them after losing to City when he should have made subs earlier in the game.

Now United had to spend a fair bit to start their team from scratch. But most if not all of those players were on free's (even to buy you'd be talking about 10k each). They've invested for the last 2 years but not done what City did years ago and get a load of the NT players, instead the majority of the England call ups have happened to players after they joined. Heath and Press will cost a more than probably anyone on the Arsenal team, but chances are what City are paying Lavelle/Mewis and Chelsea Harder/Kerr will be similar or more.

United also appear to have invested in Leigh for the women, expanded the gym and they now have more pitches. They also have more staff. The original players are mostly now on new contracts and there's probably been a bit of a wage rise for each. But again the numbers will small compare to City/Chelsea. United do seem to be investing in the team, which is good to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if on the next round of accounts Arsenal have stayed the same whereas the rest have increased the budgets. But whether the reasoning behind that is the club not providing resources or the manager not wanting to is still a question.

The cost of the women's game is tiny compared to the men. But it is increasing as they start increasing their following and sponsorships. For example Ada Hegerberg signed a new contract today. She plays for Lyon and has won the woman's Ballon d'Or, she's coming back from an ACL but is right at the top of the women's game. It's apparently for $500k a year till 2024. So a really good wage but small compared to the men. Sam Kerr is on more than £300k. Majority of the 'normal' united players will be on less than 40k.

Reactions: jojojo

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
They release accounts for the clubs so we should be able to see information shortly.

Chelsea definately appear to spend the most. Then City.

Arsenal have big players (Viv etc), but alot of them have been there a few years and will be on their original contracts. So I'd assume Viv will be on alot less than Harder and Kerr at Chelsea. The Arsenal manager has said previously he likes a small squad. IMO this is a bad decision as they always have alot of injuries. There's also been recent indicators that some players are unhappy with his decisions and he publically critised them after losing to City when he should have made subs earlier in the game.

Now United had to spend a fair bit to start their team from scratch. But most if not all of those players were on free's (even to buy you'd be talking about 10k each). They've invested for the last 2 years but not done what City did years ago and get a load of the NT players, instead the majority of the England call ups have happened to players after they joined. Heath and Press will cost a more than probably anyone on the Arsenal team, but chances are what City are paying Lavelle/Mewis and Chelsea Harder/Kerr will be similar or more.

United also appear to have invested in Leigh for the women, expanded the gym and they now have more pitches. They also have more staff. The original players are mostly now on new contracts and there's probably been a bit of a wage rise for each. But again the numbers will small compare to City/Chelsea. United do seem to be investing in the team, which is good to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if on the next round of accounts Arsenal have stayed the same whereas the rest have increased the budgets. But whether the reasoning behind that is the club not providing resources or the manager not wanting to is still a question.

The cost of the women's game is tiny compared to the men. But it is increasing as they start increasing their following and sponsorships. For example Ada Hegerberg signed a new contract today. She plays for Lyon and has won the woman's Ballon d'Or, she's coming back from an ACL but is right at the top of the women's game. It's apparently for $500k a year till 2024. So a really good wage but small compared to the men. Sam Kerr is on more than £300k. Majority of the 'normal' united players will be on less than 40k.
Interesting, thanks!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So, with us doing our job, and knocking 6 past Bristol City today - we go into the new year with our unbeaten League start intact and sitting at the top of the League. We're a tougher, more experienced team now and we've got a deeper squad. The only points we've dropped so far have been to top place rivals - draws with Chelsea and City. We've not always looked like the most fluid or elegant side, but we always look like we're trying to win, and indeed the likelier team to win.

We're not quite at the halfway stage in the season yet (10 played, 12 to play) but we're doing better than just about any of us were expecting at the end of last year. It's difficult to know exactly how well we're doing because other teams have games in hand over us. We don't play again until the 10th January so this is how we'll start the new year:
United P=10 W8 D2 L0 - GD18 - Points 26
Arsenal P=10 W7 D1 L2 - GD30 - Points 22
Chelsea P=8 W6 D6 L0 - GD18 - Points 20
City P=9 W5 D3 L1 - GD14 - Points 18

Incidentally Bristol are firmly pinned at the bottom of the League with only 2 points. However I'm still going to moan about the FA on their behalf (and ours!) as they were forced to play a match despite having multiple players out of action due to quarantine rules following some positive covid tests - City beat their hastily assembled youth team etc players 8-1. That happened back in November.

Chelsea have the same problem this weekend - but have been allowed to postpone their match with Spurs, similarly West Ham have postponed their match today with Villa. Earlier in the season, Villa were allowed to postpone their matches in October when it affected them. In women's football it's hard not to see it as being a case of one law for the rich (PL affiliated) clubs and another for the poor.

kundalini

Sounds like Jackie Groenen may have missed her chance to fly home for Christmas, as the Netherlands banned all flights from UK from 6 am today until Jan 1st, due to the new more infectious variant of coronavirus. Not sure if another method of transport would be allowed.

Last edited:

RORY65

Sounds like Jackie Groenen may have missed her chance to fly home for Christmas, as the Netherlands banned all flights from UK from 6 am today until Jan 1st, due to the new more infectious variant of coronavirus. Not sure if another method of transport would be allowed.
BBC were reporting she looked upset at the end of the game. I think she would be going to Belgium anyway so if she was able to get on some form of transport by midnight she would be OK but that's tough to arrange.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
So Alex Morgan has left Spurs. Unsurprised as I assumed she'd want to be back in the US for the January camp. I'm really pleased United didn't sign her, she's coming back to fitness and is never great for her club teams. Spurs have increased their profile with the signing which I guess was the point but from a footballing POV all she did was 2 penalties and missed 1 vs Arsenal. Even though Press has missed games due to illness and only scored the 1 goal I'm much happier with the contribution to the team.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Are Heath and Press signed until the end of the season or are they similar deals to Morgan?
They are signed till the end of the season. Mewis and Lavelle at City are on 1 + 1. So Morgan was the only one on this type of deal of the USWNT players.

But other NWSL players are of different length deals, depending on if they want to be back for NWSL pre-season (Fishlock is at Reading till Feb. O'Sullivan finished at Brighton yesterday. Corsie is at Brum until Feb.) NWSL is starting in March I think this year with their new Cup competition and then the league in about May.

Reactions: Damien

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They are signed till the end of the season. Mewis and Lavelle at City are on 1 + 1. So Morgan was the only one on this type of deal of the USWNT players.

But other NWSL players are of different length deals, depending on if they want to be back for NWSL pre-season (Fishlock is at Reading till Feb. O'Sullivan finished at Brighton yesterday. Corsie is at Brum until Feb.) NWSL is starting in March I think this year with their new Cup competition and then the league in about May.
Thanks. I guess Morgan really wasn't keen on staying for the long haul but just wanted to get fitness before going back for the new season which is understandable with a new baby.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Thanks. I guess Morgan really wasn't keen on staying for the long haul but just wanted to get fitness before going back for the new season which is understandable with a new baby.
Yep thats exactly it. She's also completely focused on the Olympics. I think this has probably worked out for Spurs because they've increased their profile. Something like this wouldn't have worked for United as Stoney is much more team focused and she'd probably see it as a disruption for the season to only have players half the year.

But Alex got her fitness back and Spurs got some good PR. Win Win.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
BBC were reporting she looked upset at the end of the game. I think she would be going to Belgium anyway so if she was able to get on some form of transport by midnight she would be OK but that's tough to arrange.
Apparently, according to Twitter, she just made it - on the last possible train. I hope that's true, it would be a real shame for her otherwise. Especially as the combination of testing and the team bubble means that it's really unlikely that she's taking anything nasty home.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Terrible news for them....but it will be interesting to see if we will have any interest in their players.

This is a mad situation.

They just played City in the UWCL and won their league for the first time, they have a place in next seasons UWCL. They weren't running out of money, there was no indication this was even on the cards. They signed a player 2 months ago on a 3 year contract, they have almost 10 Swedish NT players who are going to this summers Olympics.

They're an independent club and basically the owner has decided to fold the senior team and keep the youth teams. He thinks that now the men's teams are investing he's not needed. But there was no warning, not even an attempt to sell the club or merge it with the local mens team.

This team have a real history and have had numerous 'major' players in it before, Press, Solo even Sonnett was just there from USWNT.

It's almost like he woke up one day and decided to close the team and just did it. There's a few rumours of attempts to save the club but nothing concrete yet.

As for players, their Keeper is the NT backup and she's pretty good. Their striker Blackstenius is alright. Bøe Risa is a good midfielder. They just won their league so any of their players should find new clubs quite easily, but it may be difficult in Sweden as the majority of teams will have already planned for next season. Also there were rumours that Okvist from United was a target for them so that wont be happening.

Reactions: jojojo

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
This is a mad situation.

They just played City in the UWCL and won their league for the first time, they have a place in next seasons UWCL. They weren't running out of money, there was no indication this was even on the cards. They signed a player 2 months ago on a 3 year contract, they have almost 10 Swedish NT players who are going to this summers Olympics.

They're an independent club and basically the owner has decided to fold the senior team and keep the youth teams. He thinks that now the men's teams are investing he's not needed. But there was no warning, not even an attempt to sell the club or merge it with the local mens team.

This team have a real history and have had numerous 'major' players in it before, Press, Solo even Sonnett was just there from USWNT.

It's almost like he woke up one day and decided to close the team and just did it. There's a few rumours of attempts to save the club but nothing concrete yet.

As for players, their Keeper is the NT backup and she's pretty good. Their striker Blackstenius is alright. Bøe Risa is a good midfielder. They just won their league so any of their players should find new clubs quite easily, but it may be difficult in Sweden as the majority of teams will have already planned for next season. Also there were rumours that Okvist from United was a target for them so that wont be happening.
Thanks for the post mate.

Gordon S

This is a mad situation.

It seems the chairman Peter Bronsman thought they (probably Swedish football in general) couldn´t really compete with the best in europe anymore. Because these days most big clubs around have womens team and they have resources small clubs like Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC can only really dream of. These big clubs seems to put in more effort in to this every year and clubs like Barcelona, Bayern, City, Chelsea, United, PSG will most probably be dominant on the big stage for years to come.
He thinks that his club should have been merged with a much bigger club in Göteborg long time ago to give them a much better chance of competing on the big stage. There is probably more to it but he might have a point in that it will be impossible to compete in the future as the big clubs allocate more money and effort towards their womens teams.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
It seems the chairman Peter Bronsman thought they (probably Swedish football in general) couldn´t really compete with the best in europe anymore. Because these days most big clubs around have womens team and they have resources small clubs like Kopparbergs/Göteborg FC can only really dream of. These big clubs seems to put in more effort in to this every year and clubs like Barcelona, Bayern, City, Chelsea, United, PSG will most probably be dominant on the big stage for years to come.
He thinks that his club should have been merged with a much bigger club in Göteborg long time ago to give them a much better chance of competing on the big stage. There is probably more to it but he might have a point in that it will be impossible to compete in the future as the big clubs allocate more money and effort towards their womens teams.
I definately think he has a point about how things are going now the big clubs have got interested. Naturally they will have more financial backing and start to get the better players as they can pay proper money for them.

But it appears this decision came from nowhere. Only weeks ago he was talking about how commited he was to the team, they signed players to new contracts for next season and now he pulls the plug.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I definately think he has a point about how things are going now the big clubs have got interested. Naturally they will have more financial backing and start to get the better players as they can pay proper money for them.

But it appears this decision came from nowhere. Only weeks ago he was talking about how commited he was to the team, they signed players to new contracts for next season and now he pulls the plug.
Potential good news for them, might have been saved.

https://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/fotboll/damallsvenskan/vandningen-raddas-kvar-i-damallsvenskan/