WSL 20/21 | general chat | January signings?

ForeverRed1

Can’t wait to see what they can do, what they can bring.
Genuine question, how far off the top 3 are we?

Hopefully we can break into it.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Can’t wait to see what they can do, what they can bring.
Genuine question, how far off the top 3 are we?

Hopefully we can break into it.
Not to far away. Closer than last year. But Everton are also improved and beat Chelsea in the cup at the weekend. Top 3 will be the aim, and should be closer than last year. Arsenal are very much the same as last year, but Nobbs is back in form. City are a bit inconsistent, they beat Arsenal last night but they've also drawn to Brighton. Chelsea have a great squad but haven't shown it in most games so far.

The Conti cup has both Everton and City in the group.

Attack, even without Heath and Press is much improved from last year and Stoney will be able to rest players when she couldn't last year and Galton and Hanson were both injured in January.

The one place thats maybe light is central defense. Last season no points were gained vs the Top 3 in the league (even though we played well in all the games), this season theres already been the Chelsea draw.

If Press is still in her form from early this year goals should be expected and I'm really interested in how Heath can play, she's a very tricky player I think she'll draw a lot of fouls and cards. Russo also looked very good vs Birmingham. Hanson has started the season well, but Galton could be better. Ona looks a great full back and Smith is much improved from 2 years ago. Toone, Groenen and Ladd have been good, Zelem has been okay (she was poor vs Brum, goal excluded).

ForeverRed1

Not to far away. Closer than last year. But Everton are also improved and beat Chelsea in the cup at the weekend. Top 3 will be the aim, and should be closer than last year. Arsenal are very much the same as last year, but Nobbs is back in form. City are a bit inconsistent, they beat Arsenal last night but they've also drawn to Brighton. Chelsea have a great squad but haven't shown it in most games so far.

The Conti cup has both Everton and City in the group.

Attack, even without Heath and Press is much improved from last year and Stoney will be able to rest players when she couldn't last year and Galton and Hanson were both injured in January.

The one place thats maybe light is central defense. Last season no points were gained vs the Top 3 in the league (even though we played well in all the games), this season theres already been the Chelsea draw.

If Press is still in her form from early this year goals should be expected and I'm really interested in how Heath can play, she's a very tricky player I think she'll draw a lot of fouls and cards. Russo also looked very good vs Birmingham. Hanson has started the season well, but Galton could be better. Ona looks a great full back and Smith is much improved from 2 years ago. Toone, Groenen and Ladd have been good, Zelem has been okay (she was poor vs Brum, goal excluded).
Exciting stuff, can’t wait to see them play and how we line up.
One player you also didn’t mention was lauren James who is technically one of the best players we have. She looks a little fitter in training and in better shape so let’s hope she cracks on this season. Think she has such big potential. James, Heath, press, Galton and Russo can be very dangerous going forward.
I’m hoping if we can get champions league the Americans may stay another year. Wishful thinking but maybe they will want to see it through :D

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Exciting stuff, can’t wait to see them play and how we line up.
One player you also didn’t mention was lauren James who is technically one of the best players we have. She looks a little fitter in training and in better shape so let’s hope she cracks on this season. Think she has such big potential. James, Heath, press, Galton and Russo can be very dangerous going forward.
I’m hoping if we can get champions league the Americans may stay another year. Wishful thinking but maybe they will want to see it through :D
Very true about James.

From interviews it appeared Heath was more open ended but Press was very much saying a year. I think alot will depend on their personal experience and I don't think one would stay without the other. Portland (Heath's NWSL team) were very blunt about her coming here, no thank you etc and she's been there for years, their manager also made some statements. Utah (Press's team) were much 'nicer', calling her Queen on England etc. Utah have some other issues right now (their owner has made statements about BLM that have gone down very badly and he's now selling the teams) so they may be trying extra hard on Social Media because of this, Press is biracial. I think she'd also like to go to the new Angel City franchise that starts in 2022 as she's from LA.

Normally only 3 players can be on the National Team and not be in NWSL, this may change anyway as the coach has changed since 2019. If Mewis and Lavelle are 2 (they already have multi year options I believe) that only leaves one more spot. Press doesn't have an Olympic medal as she was only an alternate in 2012 so I'd suggest that will be a priority for her. After that both probably have a good chance of making the 2023 WC as some others will probably retire (Rapinoe, Lloyd, McDonald maybe from the more forward players).

All of this is of course assuming that the Olympics goes ahead as planned, NWSL has a season next year and COVID is less of an issue next year, which if far from guaranteed. Also I'm assuming they'll perform well.

ForeverRed1

Very true about James.

From interviews it appeared Heath was more open ended but Press was very much saying a year. I think alot will depend on their personal experience and I don't think one would stay without the other. Portland (Heath's NWSL team) were very blunt about her coming here, no thank you etc and she's been there for years, their manager also made some statements. Utah (Press's team) were much 'nicer', calling her Queen on England etc. Utah have some other issues right now (their owner has made statements about BLM that have gone down very badly and he's now selling the teams) so they may be trying extra hard on Social Media because of this, Press is biracial. I think she'd also like to go to the new Angel City franchise that starts in 2022 as she's from LA.

Normally only 3 players can be on the National Team and not be in NWSL, this may change anyway as the coach has changed since 2019. If Mewis and Lavelle are 2 (they already have multi year options I believe) that only leaves one more spot. Press doesn't have an Olympic medal as she was only an alternate in 2012 so I'd suggest that will be a priority for her. After that both probably have a good chance of making the 2023 WC as some others will probably retire (Rapinoe, Lloyd, McDonald maybe from the more forward players).

All of this is of course assuming that the Olympics goes ahead as planned, NWSL has a season next year and COVID is less of an issue next year, which if far from guaranteed. Also I'm assuming they'll perform well.
Ok so there’s a lot more to it than just them making a decision... it would be a shame if we get into champions league with their help and they don’t even get to play in it.

i guess if we get champions league and compete for leagues, we will make bigger signings in line with city and Chelsea.

counting down the minutes until kick off now:devil:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Ok so there’s a lot more to it than just them making a decision... it would be a shame if we get into champions league with their help and they don’t even get to play in it.

i guess if we get champions league and compete for leagues, we will make bigger signings in line with city and Chelsea.

counting down the minutes until kick off now:devil:
I don't remember if PSG were in the Champs League when Heath was there. But Press lost in the final I think when she was at Tyreso so thats one reason to want a replay.

ForeverRed1

I don't remember if PSG were in the Champs League when Heath was there. But Press lost in the final I think when she was at Tyreso so thats one reason to want a replay.
Tobin looked really good today, she’s going to be top class for us

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Tobin looked really good today, she’s going to be top class for us
Yeah I agree, just her touches and footwork were class. CP didn't seem as quick as usual, but that'll come with time. Wood be good to see her start vs Liverpool if possible.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Seems like the difference between this and Zelem is AV have more players living together in the shared houses who have to now isolate. Zelem only lives with Sigsworth (and she was already injured). Seems like about 5 AV players now have to isolate, they probably all live together.

Web of Bissaka

This is our second season in WSL after one year in the Championship.
Cheers.

Wow very fast, already competing for the title.

Season
1st - starting, promoted and won championship 18/19
2nd - adapting and surviving 19/20
3rd - competing title 20/21

Sensible good planning by the manager and the rest :drool: feels like United already, competing for titles as soon as possible.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

I like this team. Will be interesting to see what happens next season when Heath and press leaves... surely top players will want to come here now, as it seems there is a strategy to compete.

I think we will get top 3 now. Chelsea will probably win the league, although I’d love it if we could some show make it happen

Himannv

I like this team. Will be interesting to see what happens next season when Heath and press leaves... surely top players will want to come here now, as it seems there is a strategy to compete.
I'd be very disappointed if Heath leaves. I think she's a fantastic player and I think the decision to go back seems up in the air.

ForeverRed1

I'd be very disappointed if Heath leaves. I think she's a fantastic player and I think the decision to go back seems up in the air.
I wonder if we finish in champions league spots if she would consider staying for another season to see it through. Although I don’t think if press wants to leave she would stay. I think they want to play together...time will tell I guess

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I wonder if we finish in champions league spots if she would consider staying for another season to see it through. Although I don’t think if press wants to leave she would stay. I think they want to play together...time will tell I guess
If they stay it will be both. But also USWNT players arent as easy to keep as 'normal' players. Previously you could only play outside the NWSL for 1 year without being kicked off the team. This year is exempt but Press already played in Swedan a couple of years ago (after she was traded to a team she didn't want to go to and refused to play there). I don't think they want to play in Kentucky but they might not have the option to extend here. There's a good chance they want to play for the new Angel City team in 2022, so maybe we can get an extension till the end of the year at least if the USWNT agrees.

ForeverRed1

If they stay it will be both. But also USWNT players arent as easy to keep as 'normal' players. Previously you could only play outside the NWSL for 1 year without being kicked off the team. This year is exempt but Press already played in Swedan a couple of years ago (after she was traded to a team she didn't want to go to and refused to play there). I don't think they want to play in Kentucky but they might not have the option to extend here. There's a good chance they want to play for the new Angel City team in 2022, so maybe we can get an extension till the end of the year at least if the USWNT agrees.
I think Heath would stay as she’s been really important to us this season so far... but I’m unsure about press, I mean she isn’t setting the world alight just yet so I guess it depends how she does throughout the rest of the season? Hopefully she kicks on and stakes her claim in the team.
Would be a shame if we have a great season and qualify for champions league, for them to leave. Hopefully they enjoy manchester :D

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I think Heath would stay as she’s been really important to us this season so far... but I’m unsure about press, I mean she isn’t setting the world alight just yet so I guess it depends how she does throughout the rest of the season? Hopefully she kicks on and stakes her claim in the team.
Would be a shame if we have a great season and qualify for champions league, for them to leave. Hopefully they enjoy manchester :D
Press usually plays as a winger for the USWNT and hadn't played as a 9 since about 2016. So she's not been playing her current position. Casey seems really reluctant to play her on the wing, I'm not sure why as even when she came on last match for Tobin, instead of replacing her on the left (the position she played in the Semi final again England last year for example) she shifted James to the wing instead, which was a strange decision really. She even played Russo on the wing and kept Press up front in an earlier game. I'm not sure why that is, although against Arsenal for example I thought her running really tired out the defense.

They're definately a package deal now anyway so it's all or nothing.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's a difficult call really. They're only with us because of covid and the disruption to the US League. Being ready for the Olympics is essential to them. Afterwards, their national team contracts, assuming they're renewed, could decide where they play next year.

If they do get a choice - in terms of winning them over to United/Manchester, the city has basically been shut since they arrived, and the team's bubble rules will shut down more. I think they're enjoying the league and the team though - so who knows. Especially if we do keep improving.

Cloud7

Is the thread title still accurate? That's brilliant if so, considering how new the women's team is. It would be great to win something early on to set some good foundations for the team going forward.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
I believe that Heath and Press will stay, but it also comes down to if the new NWSL season kicks off in the United States but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the continuous rise in COVID cases and now 2 players on the USWNT tested positive and were replaced with 2 other players. Should they stay that will be a massive boost for morale and confidence to the team whose influence and experience has improved the squad immensely.

Is the thread title still accurate? That's brilliant if so, considering how new the women's team is. It would be great to win something early on to set some good foundations for the team going forward.
And yes the title is still accurate because we are still top of the League after matchday 7 in the League.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I believe that Heath and Press will stay, but it also comes down to if the new NWSL season kicks off in the United States but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the continuous rise in COVID cases and now 2 players on the USWNT tested positive and were replaced with 2 other players. Should they stay that will be a massive boost for morale and confidence to the team whose influence and experience has improved the squad immensely.

And yes the title is still accurate because we are still top of the League after matchday 7 in the League.
Press has just done a USWNT press conference. There's video's online but my major takes from it -

- Praised Casey Stoney and the team as a whole.
- Talked about playing as a 9 again and the differences between the leagues/styles of play. Student of the game answer.
- Talked about the NWSL Draft in the most diplomatic way possible and at the same time didn't even mention Louisville and stated that she's a Manchester United player.

Oh and I think the fact that players like this are so happy at the club is a really good thing for recruitment in the future. They're world class, highly respected players and the fact they're happy here will be a really good thing for getting more quality players to join in the future.

Last edited:

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Press has just done a USWNT press conference. There's video's online but my major takes from it -

- Praised Casey Stoney and the team as a whole.
- Talked about playing as a 9 again and the differences between the leagues/styles of play. Student of the game answer.
- Talked about the NWSL Draft in the most diplomatic way possible and at the same time didn't even mention Louisville and stated that she's a Manchester United player.

Oh and I think the fact that players like this are so happy at the club is a really good thing for recruitment in the future. They're world class, highly respected players and the fact they're happy here will be a really good thing for getting more quality players to join in the future.
If Tobin Heath said the same thing that she is a Manchester United player I can die a happy man hahahaha

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Chelsea are three points behind us with a game in hand, and better goal difference, but yes, we're top and doing great. Particularly as we've already played the big three (City, Arsenal, Chelsea) and picked up a win and two draws.

Of course, one quirk of this covid year, is that those games were all at home - with no crowd. By the time we play them away, they may have fans in the ground.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A couple of things from the international break. Zelem has joined Toone, James, Turner and Staniforth away at England camp.

And here's a write-up on Christen Press' interview while she's with the US team. They are playing the Netherlands tomorrow at 5:35

https://www.forbes.com/sites/asifbu...chester-united/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm not sure if/how we'll see any of the games (including the England v England matches) but for UK watchers here's the BBC coverage of the Euro qualifiers.

Women's Euros qualifiers on BBC Sport
Friday, 27 November: Northern Ireland v Belarus (19:00 GMT) on Red Button & BBC Sport website, Portugal v Scotland (19:00) on BBC Alba & BBC Sport website
Tuesday, 1 December: Wales v Belarus (19:10) & Northern Ireland v Faroe Islands (19:00) on BBC Sport website, Scotland v Finland (19:30) on BBC Alba & BBC Sport website