WSL 20/21 | United v Brighton - 12 noon on Sunday 4th October

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Some decent chances missed, and a lot of good pressure ending without a shot. Brighton could easily get back in this. Still, we're usually better in the second half, so lets hope that will be true today.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I wasn't paying attention to the commentator. But, for a first language English speaker it's easiest to describe it as (more or less) Bat-ye (where the e is a soft e - like in Ben).
He said it more like "batchay", either way it's a lot better than what I was saying :lol:

Ubik

Should've been 2-0 from Galton, good save from the keeper.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Groenen puts Galton through 1v1 with the keeper, but the keeper makes the save. Another great chance.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I think Staniforth has come on. Not sure who has come off.

EDIT: Looks like she replaced Toone.

Ubik

Awesome from Russo!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Press and Ross come on. I think they've replaced Galton and Hanson. Press immediately gets a yellow for a late challenge.

thedano

Missed a lot of chances today, first half Russo looked very slow then for her goal outpaced the defence and finished well. Press and Heath both looked good.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Fairly comfortable in the end. Heath looked class, even with the little time she had.

Ubik

Good stuff, could've won that by a few more. Nice to get the new players up and running.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Solid win in the end. We still don't have that kind of clinical edge on front of goal that the big teams have, but we've got more depth and options now - and that's with James and Ivana Fuso injured.

A shame that Press didn't get that goal - that would have been a perfect statement of intent really.

Next up is a WSL Cup match against Liverpool, which should be a good game to keep building up strength/cohesion for the team.

Ubik

Russo's goal

Himannv

Finally got down to watching this game. Top performance and easy game on the whole. 3-0 is just about right. We're all about playing out from the back and Brighton are all about pressing from the front so it was an interesting contest, particularly in the first half. We were well on top from the get go I think. Brighton had a couple of good spells here and there but I'd say we weathered it well on the whole.

Amy Turner: Was fantastic at right back and defended brilliantly. That's two very good performances in a row for her.

Kristy Smith: Didn't know she could also play LB. Had a lot of work to do as most of Brighton's attacks came from their right.

The CBs: Both did ok and passed out of the back well enough.

Haley Ladd: I'm starting to see why she won POTY last year. Her positioning is vital because Groenen doesn't really shield the defence much and if Ladd isn't on the pitch, I don't see us being very balanced. Lovely dribble late in the game to create a chance in the opposition box.

Jackie Groenen: Quality on the ball as usual. Some lovely passes and nice attacking play. I'm of the opinion that playing her in a midfield two is slightly risky, but she's obviously quality.

Ella Toone: Good game before being withdrawn. Scored the penalty of course, but also made some lovely runs on the ball that resulted in chances. Left her shooting boots at home apart from the penalty though and I think she could have scored if she was more clinical.

Hanson and Galton: Ran a lot and worked hard. Galton played CF for a few minutes in the second half; enforces my opinion that she's actually better there than at left wing. Hanson was immense with her workrate in the first half but tired in the second half.

Alessia Russo: Looked a bit tired after a while and was taken off immediately after scoring the goal; but what a goal it was. Created the chance herself by moving the ball past the CB and beating her followed by a good run and a finish. Generally looked lively and a proper CF. Also dropped deep nicely and got involved at times, while also leading the line well. Excellent signing I think. Not a big fan of the striker taking set pieces although she seems to like doing that.

Staniforth: Came on in the 2nd half in place of Toone - nothing major to write home about in this game.

Tobin Heath: Yes. We have a player here. You could sort of tell when she slouched and strolled about on the touchline as a sub that there was something about her. Got an assist in the end and just looked fantastic on the ball. Dribbles really well and can pick a pass and get around players. Hope we can keep her around for longer than just 1 season; she's world class IMO.

Christen Press: Smiles a lot. Came on as the last substitute and got a yellow before she even touched the ball. Hit the woodwork and made a great run in the last minute of the game with 4 defenders trying to stop her. In general I'd like to see more energy from her and more movement up front.

Jane Ross: Good strength to get to the ball and score the header.