WSL 20/21 | United v Chelsea | Sun 6th Sept at 14:30 - BT Sport

Grande

Incredibly impressive! They have Sam Kerr up top, we have Jane Ross. Still not an unfair result!

Zelem good, Batlle promising, Leah Galton keep being dangerous. Great start!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It depends.

If Lauren and Ivana come on well this season, I'd be happy to see us stick to our "we're developing a team" principles. I'm hoping that signing Tobin Heath / Christen Press for a year will do enough to take the pressure off the youngsters for this season. :wenger:

But yeah, as much as I like Jess Sigsworth, when it comes to the crunch I don't think her or Jane Ross is a good enough goalscorer to turn us into champions.
Like the way United are dealing with the building of this squad, just a few tweaks here and there each season and not just throwing big contracts out there. Think Jess is still very useful. As you say it will be interesting to see how those youngsters develop. Looking forward to seeing the two American girls and how they fit in.

Andersons Dietician

But yeah, as much as I like Jess Sigsworth, when it comes to the crunch I don't think her or Jane Ross is a good enough goalscorer to turn us into champions.
Kind of agree, Sigsworth is an absolute workhorse and tends to make things happen in my opinion by shear workrate and hassling people in to mistakes. Not sure if she has know how or instinct to be top class.

Ive only seen Kerr twice and although in both games she has missed a load you can tell she is a proper striker just by her movement and seems to just know where to be and where the ball is heading.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Kind of agree, Sigsworth is an absolute workhorse and tends to make things happen in my opinion by shear workrate and hassling people in to mistakes. Not sure if she has know how or instinct to be top class.

Ive only seen Kerr twice and although in both games she has missed a load you can tell she is a proper striker just by her movement and seems to just know where to be and where the ball is heading.
That's why I think Jess would be useful off the bench to harass teams if needed into making mistakes as you say. Really pleased for Leah Galton that will give her confidence no end of a boost.

NotThatSoph

After several close matches against Chelsea last season 1-1 is a very nice result against the reigning champions, especially without most of the new signings and with a few injuries.

Not the right thread, but for people who know more about the league than me, what happened to Liverpool? From consecutive championships to several years mid table to relegation. I'm not complaining, but I was surprised to see them go down.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Not the right thread, but for people who know more about the league than me, what happened to Liverpool? From consecutive championships to several years mid table to relegation. I'm not complaining, but I was surprised to see them go down.
The easy answer is money - Chelsea, City, Arsenal took the step to a professional League seriously, Liverpool didn't. That said, they didn't have the worst budget in the division, so the more serious answer is probably a combination of incompetence and bad luck.

They let player contracts run down without discussion, they had troubles with their pitch and with training facilities. Apparently they just stopped paying attention. The bad luck included United showing up and poaching a few players off them.

That said, they weren't really as bad a team as they looked from their League position. They drew with Chelsea, and had lots of narrow defeats against top teams. They lost games they should have won - mind you, I think I said that about Norwich in the PL. :lol:

Himannv

Our goal was scintillating. Lightening quick passes on the counter and a good finish by Galton (who I think should play CF). Great result against a team that was obviously better than us and all set to be Champions again.

I don't know if Ross is the right player to be CF for us and I think we're missing a proper midfield general and a world class CB to really take us to the next level. I thought our defence worked very hard but it was a difficult job against what is probably one of the best forward lines in this league. Keen to see the US players coming in and hopefully adding to this team.