WSL 20/21 | United v City | 12:30 - Sat 14 Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Next up: 2 games against City! The first one is a League fixture at Leigh (we then play them at Leigh again on Thursday 19th in the WSLCup).

Our first ever WSL1 match was against City at the Etihad and we lost 1-0, the reverse fixture was cancelled due to the covid shutdown of the 19/20 season. But that season, we beat City 2-0 at LSV in the WSL Cup, and lost 3-2 in the WFA Cup. This season? Well, it's interesting - they're currently on 11 points after 6 games, we're on 16.

Whichever way you look at it, this is a big game for us. A win and we reinforce our place as serious contenders for top 3. It'll be tight though, they've got a high quality squad and (lets say it now, because it's true!) they have a couple of England players who referees think are saints :smirk:

Edited... In the UK, this match will be broadcast on BT but it will be available on the BTSports app and their youtube site free to view. It will be live on FAPlayer in some other countries, and available on FA Player in full match or extended highlight format everywhere later.

Last edited:

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
That loss to City in the FA Cup was a joke when the officials screwed us over. But I am hoping for another hard fought performance against City at the same level we performed against Arsenal yesterday and open up the gap at the top of the table

PoTMS

More excited for the women's team than I am the men's. At least I can pretend we're one of the best teams again.

sillwuka

I haven't watched much Womens football regularly up until this season but I've been excited for every game.

Should be a good one.

Last edited:

Himannv

Does that mean it'll be live on MUTV? Probably not with my luck.

I have to say I've been less than impressed with MUTV. I mean, I'm ok with getting a blurry picture, but at least show the games. I can understand them showing the men's game a day later, but I'm finding it hard to accept that they don't even show some women's games (like the one against Liverpool for example) and it's never live. The game is still growing and still in the process of garnering a fanbase, so it just seems strange to restrict this. Expected better. /End hissy fit.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Does that mean it'll be live on MUTV? Probably not with my luck.

I have to say I've been less than impressed with MUTV. I mean, I'm ok with getting a blurry picture, but at least show the games. I can understand them showing the men's game a day later, but I'm finding it hard to accept that they don't even show some women's games (like the one against Liverpool for example) and it's never live. The game is still growing and still in the process of garnering a fanbase, so it just seems strange to restrict this. Expected better. /End hissy fit.
It's not on MUTV live but the full match will be on there at 2:30, apparently. That might change between now and Saturday though. United sometimes renegotiate these things once the rights owners set them as free to view.

The BT online and YouTube feeds are free, but I'm not sure in which countries. Same with the FA Player feed outside the UK. I think the main problem regions are the US and Scandinavia, where there are local TV rights owners. Some people find VPNs helpful :smirk:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
It's not on MUTV live but the full match will be on there at 2:30, apparently. That might change between now and Saturday though. United sometimes renegotiate these things once the rights owners set them as free to view.

The BT online and YouTube feeds are free, but I'm not sure in which countries. Same with the FA Player feed outside the UK. I think the main problem regions are the US and Scandinavia, where there are local TV rights owners. Some people find VPNs helpful :smirk:
Casey Stoney's complained before they can show only 3 games live a season. That doesn't seem to include the Conti Cup so she's probably only talking about the League (and maybe FA Cup). They showed the Arsenal game so I understand why they wouldn't show one the week after. Should mean there are 2 more live games remaining this season.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Tobin Heath and a couple of City players were interviewed by the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/sports/soccer/uswnt-manchester-united-city.html

And here's what Tobin has learned from her teammates:
“We were taught that there is only one club in Manchester.

“Like nobody goes to Manchester City games. I feel like, City, because they’re this modern global team, in the United States we think they’re a really big club. But here in Manchester, it’s not a big club."

:devil:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Tobin Heath and a couple of City players were interviewed by the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/sports/soccer/uswnt-manchester-united-city.html

“Like nobody goes to Manchester City games. I feel like, City, because they’re this modern global team, in the United States we think they’re a really big club. But here in Manchester, it’s not a big club."

She's learning quick.

Andersons Dietician

I think I love her now :lol:

Himannv

Tobin Heath <3

Dudu

:drool:

Dudu

Jess Sigsworth starts. Zelem, James, Hanson on the bench.
Jess did make a instant impact against Arsenal.. so I guess she earnt that.

Jeez, our bench is strong!! Excited for this one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
That is a very strong side Casey picked, I think it's going to be a very even battle in the first half with both sides testing each others defenses

Dudu

City Lead. Awful defending. Pinball around the box

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That attempted clearance before the goal was probably the worst clearance attempt I've ever seen. City definitely playing like the side who've been fighting for titles the last few years. Some nerves from our players - we need the next goal.

Dudu

We haven't really got going today. Looking nothing like as sharp as we did against Arsenal. That said, this is the best I've seen City play this season. Batlle struggling with Stanway so far.
Was wondering this since I mostly follow just the United games.. were City supposed to look this good?! They are passing circles around us at the moment.

We need to calm down and keep the ball a little.

Dudu

Kelly, 0 - 1 City

That clearance looks worse every time I see it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Opposite of the Arsenal game so far, getting beaten all over the pitch and very sloppy when we have it. City carving us open at times, Batlle having a tough game.

Andersons Dietician

Batlle having an absolute mare. Did the same vs Chelsea then 2nd half turned it around.

feel like need the extra body in midfield that can get on the ball. Getting too easily exposed.

ForeverRed1

if we can get to half time only 1-0 down then we are in this. Stoney needs to make some serious changes at half time! They are all over us and it’s frustrating to watch. Sloppiest half from us so far and awful in possession. Just seem to be kicking the ball anywhere. Awful stuff

Andersons Dietician

What is going on with this midfield. That’s like the 4th time there has been 5 or 6 city players vs 4. Ladd and Grojn just don’t seem to be able to match City physically at all.