WSL 21/22 | United v Birmingham - 12:00 on Sat 15 Jan

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Up until last weekend, Birmingham were bottom of WSL with one point. Then they shocked everyone by (deservedly) beating Arsenal 2-0. In other words, I guess it depends which team turns up. The same question applies to us as well. They'll certainly be coming in ready whereas this is our first game for four weeks.

Match is live and free in most countries (though you need to register) on FAPlayer
https://faplayer.thefa.com/

Last edited:

Grande

Curious to see who will play in midfield. Hayley Ladd has been instrumental to the last few convincing wins. Jackie Groenen is hopefully returning. Vilde Bø Risa has been picking up speed and seems to fit skinners play. Katie Zelem has been variable in general play this season, but she is captain and has set piece danger in her. And Lucy Stanisforth knows the way of the coach and the opponents.

I have a feeling if Skinner can find the right midfield combination for his tactics, that may be the difference between breaking the barrier (3rd place) or not.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Game about to start:

Zelem, Ladd and Boe Risa in midfield, which I think is potentially our best midfield set up (at least until Groenen is back), but it does mean Toone is likely starting in the right wing position. Should be strong enough to get the win here, but Birmingham on the back of the win against Arsenal could definitely pose problems for us.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Great early chance for Boe Risa, who's put through on goal, but Ramsey closes her down.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Zelem!! 1-0

Great move down the left and Galton pulls back a low cross for Zelem to dink it over the keeper.

Lightbringer

Good lasses, you make me happy now :-) And I am always so grumpy, so thats very hard, haha. Just keep it going!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Galton again! Like her first, she's in the middle to tap in a cross from the right. Dominant so far, this could be a thrashing!

Lightbringer

Galton again! Like her first, she's in the middle to tap in a cross from the right. Dominant so far, this could be a thrashing!
We need a 10-0 win to increase or goal differential ;) Just get 3 goals every 20th minute and its a wrap!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
4-0, and Ramsey is unlucky as Toone's long range shot hits the cross bar and bounces off the back of the diving keeper to roll into the net.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Actually, it looks like it is 5 subs. Groenen's just come on as our 3rd and it looks like Fuso and Thorisdottir are preparing to come on soon.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Full Time. United were dominant in the first 20 minutes, making it 3-0, and then controlled the rest of the match, adding a couple more. It was a near perfect performance and a result to match.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good performance from us and crucially Leah Galton in particular looks like she's getting her form back. Nice to see Jackie Groenen return as well.

We're a different looking team when Hayley Ladd plays, and I think we've struggled to find a formation that works without her.

Cold day at Leigh sports Village :lol: though. Crowds still haven't got back to their pre-covid normal. It feels like there are fewer kids and multigeneration family groups for example. A good run from now might help rebuild that. Plus, there's the opportunity of the United v Everton match at Old Trafford to maybe pick up some new watchers.

Let's hope the team can maintain the form. We're now in third place, ahead of Spurs on GD, so the 5-0 is a big deal.