WSL 21/22 | United v Chelsea | Sun 26 Sept 12:30

buchansleftleg

Second goal for Chelsea after worst refereeing decision Ive ever seen denies United a free kick. Chelsea given throw in and run at goal and score. Heartbreaker just as United growing into game and looking threatening.

Lightbringer

Second goal for Chelsea after worst refereeing decision Ive ever seen denies United a free kick. Chelsea given throw in and run at goal and score. Heartbreaker just as United growing into game and looking threatening.
When you face Chelsea they always get 1 goal for free from the ref, it has happened every time we played them with the Womens team, its really really annoying.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
United have been dreadful up to this point.

Long balls, no conviction, weak in the challenge, disjointed defensive shape, poor in possession.

Awful so far.

RORY65

High aerial long balls not working against one of the tallest sides to visit Leigh sports village. Had better luck keeping it on the ground.
Particularly when not playing with a proper number 9. That being said playing out from the back has been a disaster too. This is an upper midtable team trying to play like an elite team against a truly elite side and they're getting shown up.

Robin

I was going to put how bad is this, then i remembered what I had to watch yesterday !!

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I was going to put how bad is this, then i remembered what I had to watch yesterday !!
I haven't seen yesterday's game, I was on my way to commentate at Barnet. But this is easily the worst uniteds women's team performance I have ever seen.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Getting fecking trashed. The defence has been awful.

Can’t watch this anymore

Robin

I haven't seen yesterday's game, I was on my way to commentate at Barnet. But this is easily the worst uniteds women's team performance I have ever seen.
I see you are a Weymouth fan, when I moved to England from Malta ( navy family ) we moved to Weymouth, my first ever game was a 0-0 draw v Yeovil about 1965, nearly put me off football for life

buchansleftleg

If we don't get an early goal I think they will continue to just stroll through us for as many goals as they want.

Biggest test of the Manager so far. Casey's team never gave up, but I saw some worrying signs at the end of that half. Low level arguments between players never a good sign.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If we don't get an early goal I think they will continue to just stroll through us for as many goals as they want.

Biggest test of the Manager so far. Casey's team never gave up, but I saw some worrying signs at the end of that half. Low level arguments between players never a good sign.
Sack Ole!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We're having a torrid time. They were all over us for the first 5 minutes, but it did look like we were starting to turn it into a match after that. Then wham.

Hoping for the best in the second half, but fearing the worst in honesty. Going by the halftime warm-ups, Chelsea look like they're going to be making some subs soon. Ouch.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I see you are a Weymouth fan, when I moved to England from Malta ( navy family ) we moved to Weymouth, my first ever game was a 0-0 draw v Yeovil about 1965, nearly put me off football for life
Yeah watching the green and white filth has that effect on people.

buchansleftleg

Again Chelsea just seem to walk the ball into the net against little opposition when we turn over possession. They are smothering Groenen and Zelim and we have no other way out from the back.

buchansleftleg

Maybe should have started with Ladd in midfield for more steel in there.

Chelsea, unlike other teams, not intimidated by Galton's pace and just controlled the key areas of the pitch. United having possession but little impact.

Game fizzling out. Disappointing performances today but can't just blame defence for result. Only upside is at least Lauren James didn't play against us today. She'd have ripped us apart!

kundalini

Embarrassing on so many different levels.

Who thought playing out from the back against Chelsea was a good idea ? Managerial incompetence. Why couldn't we have hit long diagonals over the top of their defence, in the hope that our wide forwards could beat their full-backs for pace ? Far less risky than suicidal passes between Earps, Mannion, Thorisdottir, Blundell and Zelem.

We presented Chelsea with 5 huge chances to score in the first half, simply from our inability to play out from the back. Add another from Thorisdottir's bizarre defending against Harder.

A few of our players were ok, most were poor, some were terrible. Alessia Russo's shot that hit the bar was one of the few encouraging moments.

buchansleftleg

Very bad result but Chelsea are the team to beat.
Anyone know the attendance?
2100 plus a few more...couldn't hear the exact amount over the noise made by Chelsea fans!

The most alarming thing for the Manager is that even the Barmy Army gradually dissolved into quiet chants. That's nothing I've ever experienced before.

We looked hopelessly naive, under prepared and out thought, rather than out fought. Chelsea just needed to up their effort by 5% and they cut through us easily.

The manager took off Groenen just as she was getting more space, when we should have maybe started with Ladd and kept things compact for the first 20 minutes.

I'll happily take a thumping if my team has thrown caution to the wind and played with 1 defender to try and get back into the game....but that was just a terrible performance. Maybe we are paying for all that lost time on a functioning training ground!

Lightbringer

We try to play out from the back even though we dont have skilled enough players to do so, that will always fail when facing elite opposition. Brutal reality today, it really hurts to get completely spanked on home turf.

The only positive is that we have let Russo come back slowly and trying to build her fitness up, that was more than I expected, and I am really glad we are playing that smart instead of just looking for short time results.

Last edited:

Robin

Not a good day for Manchester v London , us 1-6 to Chelsea and Arsenal beating City 5-0 , !!