WSL 21/22 | United v Reading - Fri 3 Sept 7:45pm | Live on Sky One/Showcase

redrobed

Bbc are trying to suggest Reading had a legit goal not allowed.

Got to love the dedication of the ABU media to actually try and tear down our women’s team (I didn’t think we had one so they’ve done their research) to detract from the club as a whole. Anyway sounds like we won so great stuff.

Lightbringer

Got to love the dedication of the ABU media to actually try and tear down our women’s team (I didn’t think we had one so they’ve done their research) to detract from the club as a whole. Anyway sounds like we won so great stuff.
Reading did have a goal not given, a shot struck the crossbar and bounced inside the net and out. Obviously that was impossible for the linesman to see. And there is no VAR or hawkeye they got robbed. I am not complaining now, but next time it could be us.

You should tune in and watch a game or two :-)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

To be fair when I saw the replay I was pretty sure it crossed the line. Nothing ABU about reporting that.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Btw I just noticed that Sky are showing the Spanish league as well today . Seems like a major push from them towards the women's game

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I didnt get to see the game. Do you have any idea as to how this years team compares to last seasons? I got the feeling we lost a few quality players and might have a weaker squad this season. Dont know if thats true but interested to hear your thoughts.
I guess, on paper at least, we may have a stronger squad and a worse starting 11. In practice, the midfield looked better balanced than last year, if only because Zelem looked like her old self - not last year's version.

I also liked the look of the defence. We were never weak defensively, but we now look as though we've got two strong fullbacks who can defend and attack. Sorting out the centre of the defence is still a work in progress.

It's the attack where the real question marks remain. It was an issue last year. We lacked a reliable top class goalscorer - the big three clubs are all stronger than us up front. Losing Heath, Press and James means we've gone backwards rather than forwards. We're relying on youngsters and unknown quantities to have break out season's really.

Other teams look stronger this season. I'm hoping for the best when it comes to us. :smirk:

kundalini

Zelem looked so much better than she has for awhile. Much more composed and she seemed much better at retaining possession. I've not seen a performance like that from her for awhile and it was really good to see it against Reading who are very physical.
Katie Zelem is in the England squad for the fixtures against North Macedonia and Luxembourg, as are Mary Earps, Lucy Staniforth and Ella Toone.

It would be no surprise if some players benefit from the change of United manager, while others lose out in terms of playing opportunities or struggle for form.

Last edited:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Katie Zelem is in the England squad for the fixtures against North Macedonia and Luxembourg, as are Mary Earps, Lucy Staniforth and Ella Toone.

It would be no surprise if some players benefit from the change of United manager, while others lose out in terms of playing opportunities or struggle for form.
Englands midfield options are very limited right now. They've put Leah Williamson as a midfielder in that team and she's pretty much always a CB these days, but there's no other replacement for Kiera Walsh as a CDM (Jade Moore is just coming back for Pride in NWSL). Nobbs is injured as well, but I am begging Wiegman to finally put Jill Scott out to pasture.

I think Izzy Christiansen has been very unlucky since her injury and deserves better as well.

I am amused that City had no preseason games cause of all the players at Olympics (why they just didn't use their youth team players with the likes of Shaw in at least some games), but beat Everton 4 nil at the weekend and now have gone out of the UWCL in the qualification round.

Bit annoying they go into the Conti Cup group with United now, but also some of their players went their just for UWCL. Filippa Angeldahl signed just last week for them and her previous team went through, Bordeaux who Shaw came from only just went out to Wolfburg. Its just amusing to me.