WSL 21/22 | United v Villa - 12:00 on Sun 19 Dec

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Last women's match of the year and we're at home. Villa have been through a rough patch for results recently, United need the points if they're going to keep a glimmer of hope of getting into the top three.

Cancellations? City women v Reading is already cancelled. Chelsea's manager was talking about her players' minds being on Covid risks rather than their CL match when they lost 4-0 to Wolfsburg midweek. Two days is a long time at the moment. We'll see.

Live on MUTV and FA player.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Batlle not in the starting XI or on the bench. Must be injured then as she's one of our best players. There's only one natural full back in the team so it'll be interesting to see how we line up. My guess is Galton will drop back into that position. Something like this, with Toone and Staniforth playing quite narrow.

--------------------------Earps
----Smith - Mannion - Turner - Galton
Toone - Boe Risa - Ladd - Zelem - Stan
--------------------------Russo

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Batlle not in the starting XI or on the bench. Must be injured then as she's one of our best players. There's only one natural full back in the team so it'll be interesting to see how we line up. My guess is Galton will drop back into that position. Something like this, with Toone and Staniforth playing quite narrow.

--------------------------Earps
----Smith - Mannion - Turner - Galton
Toone - Boe Risa - Ladd - Zelem - Stan
--------------------------Russo
If Twitter is right, Ona and Blundell had covid +ve tests. Not sure if that's true of course.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Zelem penalty makes it 2-0. I'm 50/50 on whether it was a penalty. The goalkeeper did get a touch on the ball, but did she go through Ladd first to get there? Not sure.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Lovely finish by Staniforth after we win the ball high up the pitch with another press. 3-0

buchansleftleg

With Turner and Ladd starting the game it felt like the team found it's spine again. Zelim still very hit and miss...something not quite right there.

A much better team performance, although Villa looked well out of sorts.

Grande

With Turner and Ladd starting the game it felt like the team found it's spine again. Zelim still very hit and miss...something not quite right there.

A much better team performance, although Villa looked well out of sorts.
Fiesta in the fog! 9-0 now in three games atm. Hayley Ladd at her best has something to complement the other midfielders. Millie Turner is somewhat of a boss behind there that Thorisdottir in a way lacks. It’s good if the pieces are starting to fall in place.

kundalini

I liked Mannion's super run from deep then shot that was saved. Good move for our first goal, super finish from Ella Toone. Our patched up defence limited Villa to very few chances.

The packed midfield seems to work better than having Galton and Hanson wide, though Kirsty did very well to create an easy goal for Hayley Thomas.

RORY65

3 much more positive performances to end the year in a decent position, very pleasing to see the team playing well. I'm not sure if that's because the formation with loads of midfielders works better (potentially true given that neither of the usual wingers have been up to their previous form) or if it means Skinners is actually just obliged to pick the best midfielders along with his favourites who aren't as good.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
3 much more positive performances to end the year in a decent position. I'm not sure if that's because the formation with loads of midfielders works better (potentially true given that neither of the usual wingers have been up to their previous form) or if it means Skinners is actually just obliged to pick the best midfielders along with his favourites who aren't as good.
I think Skinner's struggling to find a formation that fits his players. If you think of a flexible 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 you'd want Russo and Toone up front, or to let Toone roam. If you then play with wingers it means you rely on Zelem to control midfield and though she's got the passing skill she often lacks the consistency and touch for that role.

Ladd brings us a lot of stability. A fit Boe Risa adds an edge to our play, particularly as a replacement for an out of form winger. I don't underestimate the importance of Millie Turner's return either though she wasn't great at the start of season. We've looked better going forward for being more solid in midfield.

It would be great to see Leah Galton find her best form again in the new year. She had a good day today, so I'm hopeful on that front as well.