WSL 22/23 | United v Reading | 12:00 Sat 17 Sept

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No shows basically. There were gaps even in areas that I know were completely sold out. I've been in a similar size United women's crowd at Leigh before - City in the Cup a couple of years ago. But this was easily the biggest crowd we've seen at Leigh since before the Covid shutdown.

Part of the issue for new fans will have been transport and parking. There were people arriving 20 minutes or more late, presumably because they ended up struck in traffic jams or had to go looking for car parks away from the ground.

The complication with Leigh is that the stadium normally has a predominantly local crowd for Leigh Rugby League matches. It's not really set up for people arriving from all across Manchester. Plus crowds like today are generally not match hardened crowds! Lots of kids and family units of parents, grandparents and little ones - they give in easier than regular matchgoers :smirk:

Incidentally actual capacity at LSV is around 8k for us because we don't use the standing area.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Grande

4-0 in the end, with Le Tissier x2, Zelem and Russo all scoring in the first half. Great result and a dominant performance. Le Tissier is gonna be a star. Batlle and Garcia were excellent together down the right. Just a shame we couldn't get more in the second half, but we were quite wasteful and Reading were set up very defensively. Overall a very positive start to the season.
4-0 at half time looks very comfortable. Le Tiss II a new favorite, but also good that Russo is continuing her run of goals. This qas a good way to give Jackie a good sending off present.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good strikes but let’s be realistic the reading goalkeeper was pathetic really. It’s an issue that holds me back from really taking to ladies football or perhaps I don’t catch enough matches. It also is bad at international level too. Are there any good goalkeepers I should watch?

MUW4Eva

Good strikes but let’s be realistic the reading goalkeeper was pathetic really. It’s an issue that holds me back from really taking to ladies football or perhaps I don’t catch enough matches. It also is bad at international level too. Are there any good goalkeepers I should watch?
Huh??

Goalkeepers have improved hugely over the past few seasons, we have one of, if not the best around, in Mary Earps, she was unbelievably good at the recent European Championships, pulling save after incredible save.

Away from her, there is Endler, who plays for Lyon, she is top class, Sheridan with San Diego in the NWSL, who are managed by our former manager Casey Stoney.

There are plenty of good goalkeepers around, and the standard has improved dramatically over the past few years.

MUW4Eva

No shows basically. There were gaps even in areas that I know were completely sold out. I've been in a similar size United women's crowd at Leigh before - City in the Cup a couple of years ago. But this was easily the biggest crowd we've seen at Leigh since before the Covid shutdown.

Part of the issue for new fans will have been transport and parking. There were people arriving 20 minutes or more late, presumably because they ended up struck in traffic jams or had to go looking for car parks away from the ground.

The complication with Leigh is that the stadium normally has a predominantly local crowd for Leigh Rugby League matches. It's not really set up for people arriving from all across Manchester. Plus crowds like today are generally not match hardened crowds! Lots of kids and family units of parents, grandparents and little ones - they give in easier than regular matchgoers :smirk:

Incidentally actual capacity at LSV is around 8k for us because we don't use the standing area.
The lack of a train station nearby is a complete farce really, it really isn't a good stadium to get to, even if you drive there (as there isn't any other option but to do so sadly), as you are battling with other supporters for a parking place as well as people going to the Morrisons supermarket opposite the stadium.

We desperately, desperately need to play our games elsewhere at a more accessible stadium.

In isolation the stadium is fantastic, I have no issues with it, it is just the accessibility to it is very poor.
The club either needs to play at a different stadium, or they need to put on coaches from different city centre locations, or from say Piccadilly Station, as right now, it isn't a good ground to get to by yourself.

MUW4Eva

I don't know how that has happened because the commentators said 7000 tickets had been sold long before the match was due to be played?.
I as a season ticket holder couldn't take my seat, work elsewhere meant that I was sadly absent, so that explains one seat difference, not too sure about the rest however, but it must be a case of tickets sold vs how many actually turned up to watch in person.

golden_blunder

Staff
Huh??

Goalkeepers have improved hugely over the past few seasons, we have one of, if not the best around, in Mary Earps, she was unbelievably good at the recent European Championships, pulling save after incredible save.

Away from her, there is Endler, who plays for Lyon, she is top class, Sheridan with San Diego in the NWSL, who are managed by our former manager Casey Stoney.

There are plenty of good goalkeepers around, and the standard has improved dramatically over the past few years.
Fair enough I don’t watch week in week out. It just so happens that on the odd occasions that I do, one of the keepers is shocking

MUW4Eva

Fair enough I don’t watch week in week out. It just so happens that on the odd occasions that I do, one of the keepers is shocking
There have been plenty of poor goalkeeping performances in the men's game over the years, so judging the whole game on one or two mistakes is somewhat odd, I must say....

golden_blunder

Staff
There have been plenty of poor goalkeeping performances in the men's game over the years, so judging the whole game on one or two mistakes is somewhat odd, I must say....
Yes there has been but I’m talking school level, thinking how did you not save that? But look that’s a whole different topic and I don’t want to derail this thread too much

MUW4Eva

Yes there has been but I’m talking school level, thinking how did you not save that? But look that’s a whole different topic and I don’t want to derail this thread too much
Yes, that can be said about plenty, heck I remember sadly Le Tiss scoring at Old Trafford v Tiabbi a goal that one could describe as such....

There is no reason to judge the whole goalkeeping community in women's football on the back of one or two errors, just as there isn't the need to do so, for similar reasons in the men's game.