WSL 22/23 | United v Villa at OT - Sat 3 Dec at 12:30

RomfordRed75

Brilliant performance. Russo and Toone were great but for me Ladd and Battle were the best players on the pitch.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Still not sure but that might make almost 3 goals per match ratio.

The only team able to score 3 goals vs Arsenal this season for sure.

phelans shorts

Use the Ronaldo money to re-sign Batlle and Russo, we cant let any of them go!
Literally 1 month of his saved wages would transform the women’s team to being one of the very best, including keeping those + Earps, filling out the squad.

Even if you’re looking at this from purely a business perspective, there’s massive growth potential in being out in front in the women’s football boom.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Still trying to get my head around how that wasn’t a red?
Strange from the ref really. She blew for the foul, so should be a red, but it didn't look as if there was a great deal of contact, so she made two mistakes on that. Perhaps she'll wait a few seconds next time.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The challenge was never a red, it was a difficult spot to score from with the keeper charging out. The fact Galton did score is irrelevant.

5-0 Rachel Williams. Belting run from Batte
But it was a goalscoring opportunity, so if the ref thought it was a foul, it should be a red, regardless of where the goalkeeper was.

phelans shorts

But it was a goalscoring opportunity, so if the ref thought it was a foul, it should be a red, regardless of where the goalkeeper was.
If you ignore where the goalkeeper is then every foul is a red. Where the goalkeeper is is a very major factor in the quality of goal scoring opportunity.

It was never a red.

Andersons Dietician

If you ignore where the goalkeeper is then every foul is a red. Where the goalkeeper is is a very major factor in the quality of goal scoring opportunity.

It was never a red.
By the letter of the law it’s a clear goal scoring opportunity and that was the last defender so by the rules it’s a red card. The Ref just probably panicked as she had already just screwed up by blowing early, then compounded it by not showing the red.

phelans shorts

By the letter of the law it’s a clear goal scoring opportunity and that was the last defender so by the rules it’s a red card. The Ref just probably panicked as she had already just screwed up by blowing early, then compounded it by not showing the red.
Last defender is literally not a rule. Scoring from when the foul happened (which wasn’t a foul anyway, Galton just slipped) would have been very difficult with the goalkeepers position.

It’s just not a red card.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I was expecting this to be a closer game with how well Villa have been this season, so I was pleasantly surprised to see how dominant we were. Feels like we're turning a corner with this team, following up the win at the Emriates with this performance. Hopefully we can keep up this momentum for the derby. A win at the Etihad and we'd be in very good shape to finish in the top 3.

Andersons Dietician

Last defender is literally not a rule. Scoring from when the foul happened (which wasn’t a foul anyway, Galton just slipped) would have been very difficult with the goalkeepers position.

It’s just not a red card.
You know what you’re kinda right, the rule was amended in 2016 from what I can see. It’s a red if it’s a deliberate foul to prevent a goal scoring opportunity, tug, trip or something. If it’s an attempt to win the ball it’s a yellow.

Rule was changed to prevent the “triple punishment” of a Red in such situation resulting in a Penalty, a sending off then a ban in the next game. However that’s if it’s committed inside the box. No mention of what happens if you’re the last defender outside the box but given the jeapordy of giving a penalty isn’t an issue you would think that should then bring the Red back in to play.

I mean I don’t think it was a foul as she doesn’t even touch her, but the ref does so to me that should be a red but it seems the rule is open to interpretation by the refs and that Uefa and FiFa have different guide lines on it.

Lightbringer

You know what you’re kinda right, the rule was amended in 2016 from what I can see. It’s a red if it’s a deliberate foul to prevent a goal scoring opportunity, tug, trip or something. If it’s an attempt to win the ball it’s a yellow.

Rule was changed to prevent the “triple punishment” of a Red in such situation resulting in a Penalty, a sending off then a ban in the next game. However that’s if it’s committed inside the box. No mention of what happens if you’re the last defender outside the box but given the jeapordy of giving a penalty isn’t an issue you would think that should then bring the Red back in to play.

I mean I don’t think it was a foul as she doesn’t even touch her, but the ref does so to me that should be a red but it seems the rule is open to interpretation by the refs and that Uefa and FiFa have different guide lines on it.
Good information, thank you. And I agree with your assessment!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
@jojojo Did you have A GOOD TIME? :)
Enjoyed it! Good performance, some lovely goals and a great scoreline - especially given that Villa have been doing well this season. Good performances all round really, including from Mary Earps when the defence got a bit sloppy and lost concentration.

OT was a good change from Leigh - it's not just the crowd size, it's the nature and history of the stadium and what it means in terms of introducing United fans to the women's team.

The crowd atmosphere never hit the "buzzing" heights, but in honesty at OT it's usually adversity or the biggest of occasions that brings out the best in United fans. It would be nice to see us play a big game there - City or Liverpool say or a big Cup or Champions League :smirk: match. Hopefully soon.

phelans shorts

Enjoyed it! Good performance, some lovely goals and a great scoreline - especially given that Villa have been doing well this season. Good performances all round really, including from Mary Earps when the defence got a bit sloppy and lost concentration.

OT was a good change from Leigh - it's not just the crowd size, it's the nature and history of the stadium and what it means in terms of introducing United fans to the women's team.

The crowd atmosphere never hit the "buzzing" heights, but in honesty at OT it's usually adversity or the biggest of occasions that brings out the best in United fans. It would be nice to see us play a big game there - City or Liverpool say or a big Cup or Champions League :smirk: match. Hopefully soon.
For me moving Liverpool last game of the season there is an absolute no brainer. I’m not sure what the men are doing when we play City at home but if they’re away move that to OT too absolutely.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
For me moving Liverpool last game of the season there is an absolute no brainer. I’m not sure what the men are doing when we play City at home but if they’re away move that to OT too absolutely.
Unfortunately the final day Liverpool match is an away. Our home game against them is scheduled for February - the same weekend as the men are at home to City. So no joy there either.

We do play City as our final home game of the season though, in what might be a big game for us. The men are away that weekend at Bournemouth. That said, forecasting the actual OT schedule around then isn't easy - we might have a Europa League SF match to play and we may have rearranged (due to Cup matches etc) PL fixtures to fit into the midweeks. If that happens they'll get nervous about end of season pitch condition.

Demon Barber

Shout for me. I’ll watch on telly from Norway!
I did!

Excellent performance once again. Batlle in particular was excellent. Guys, if you have never seen our women play live then make it a priority for the new year.

As a side note, well done to the club for opening up OT for the community for the winter.

Grande

I did!

Excellent performance once again. Batlle in particular was excellent. Guys, if you have never seen our women play live then make it a priority for the new year.

As a side note, well done to the club for opening up OT for the community for the winter.
I heard you! At least I heard a lot of people, and pretty well too. Sounded like a kind of 80’s atmosphere. Great vibe.

And great game. Aston Villa has become a really tough side, beat City 4-3, and we walz over them 5-0! Even if it wasn’t a typical five nil match, Villa had some very dangerous patches in the game and where mostly solid until the end.

Our team is beginning to look quite rich on characters.

Demon Barber

I heard you! At least I heard a lot of people, and pretty well too. Sounded like a kind of 80’s atmosphere. Great vibe.

And great game. Aston Villa has become a really tough side, beat City 4-3, and we walz over them 5-0! Even if it wasn’t a typical five nil match, Villa had some very dangerous patches in the game and where mostly solid until the end.

Our team is beginning to look quite rich on characters.
"Rich on characters" is a good phrase and pretty accurate. 70s/80s atmosphere without the aggro!

You are in Norway? I once went to a Tromso game on my way to Oksfjord and Hammerfest. But that's another story.

GlosGroundhop

The challenge was never a red, it was a difficult spot to score from with the keeper charging out. The fact Galton did score is irrelevant.

5-0 Rachel Williams. Belting run from Batte
a review of the game and Manchester United’s ground is available to read here. I’ve written a piece on why the women’s team playing at Old Trafford is massive for the sport. Any feedback would be most welcome

https://gloucestergroundho.wixsite.com/gloucester-groundhop/post/old-trafford-manchester-united

Grande

"Rich on characters" is a good phrase and pretty accurate. 70s/80s atmosphere without the aggro!

You are in Norway? I once went to a Tromso game on my way to Oksfjord and Hammerfest. But that's another story.
yes, minus the aggro, no small feat.

I’ve been to Alfheim stadium in Tromsø too, a few times. You could get in for free during mid winter because the south end was covered in a twenty foot high block of ice and snow that you could just walk in on top of. Nobody would charge you as long as you stood on the block watching (it was cold (this story is not an exaggeration!)).

Morten Gamst Pederson went straight from those conditions to becoma a star at Blackburn, so you never know.

Demon Barber

Cheers, buddy. There's an awful lot of effort put into that blog and you deserve credit.

Of course we should play at Old Trafford more often, rather than Leigh Village. One thing I particularly enjoyed (apart from the result) was the fact that 30+ thousand paid very little to watch the game. Mostly locals too. Oh if only the men's game could be like that!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Cheers, buddy. There's an awful lot of effort put into that blog and you deserve credit.

Of course we should play at Old Trafford more often, rather than Leigh Village. One thing I particularly enjoyed (apart from the result) was the fact that 30+ thousand paid very little to watch the game. Mostly locals too. Oh if only the men's game could be like that!
Unfortunately it's more likely to go the other way as the increased popularity of Women's football sees ticket prices going up so make use of the good value tickets while you can !

Was only £6 at Old Trafford and Spurs asked £15 for the Womens game at their main stadium but Arsenal were charging £30+ for the women's match at the Emirates

Demon Barber

Unfortunately it's more likely to go the other way as the increased popularity of Women's football sees ticket prices going up so make use of the good value tickets while you can !

Was only £6 at Old Trafford and Spurs asked £15 for the Womens game at their main stadium but Arsenal were charging £30+ for the women's match at the Emirates
I suspect you are right re: pricing. £6.00 was excellent value, although prices went up as far as £65 if you wanted to pretend to be Infantino for a few hours!