WSL 22/23 | West Ham v United | Sun 25 Sept at 3pm

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We go into our second match with a flying start to build on.

Meanwhile, West Ham beat Everton 1-0 in their first match, scoring from a corner. I didn't see the game but the raw stats say that Everton had the possession (66%) but couldn't turn it into goals which sounds like a warning.

Last season's away to West Ham was one of those really annoying draws we had - they scored from a corner during injury time to cost us two points.

Match is live (and free to view) in most countries on FA Player.

MUW4Eva

I have seen a fair few people bizarrely complaining about our 4-0 at Reading, & saying that we didn't score more in the second half, and come the end of the season that could cost us in terms of GD....

Nope, it is games like the West Ham away game last season, where we through away two points which hurt us far more, than not scoring 5 or more goals in a single game.

We need to rectify what went wrong last season, and certainly starting with two players who are naturally centre backs, will definitely be an upgrade on what we started with in the same game last season.

This game will not be an easy one, West Ham I thought played well against Everton, and they will certainly be confident of picking up something against us, so we need to be ready for that.

I am confident that if we start with the same team that started against Reading, that we can pick up the full 3 points, no matter what the winning scoreline is (if indeed we do manage to win), that is already a step up from last season, so putting to bed all of those people that are ever so strangely be critical of our 4-0 win...

Give me a 4-0 every game, and I will be delighted!

MUW4Eva

Hope we practice defending corners this week.
Well the difference is, this time around, we should start and hopefully finish the game, with two players who are naturally centre backs, so that should help us out hugely....

MUW4Eva

It’s a good start, no doubt.
Yeah, and thus hopefully Zelem will play more in her more natural position, and not as a CB, which as we saw against Reading, is where she can hurt sides...

Another two assists and a goal, would certainly go down very well with myself at the very least!

Grande

Yeah, and thus hopefully Zelem will play more in her more natural position, and not as a CB, which as we saw against Reading, is where she can hurt sides...

Another two assists and a goal, would certainly go down very well with myself at the very least!
[/QUOTE

I think Katie Zelem and Hayley Ladd is not the worst partnership to have between defence and attack.

MUW4Eva

For all of what Jackie did offer us in a hugely positive sense, sadly goals was not one of them, so for me, this Ladd and Zelem partnership is a much better fit for us.
This isn't to say that we will not miss Jackie, because we will for sure, but I think it is a better balanced two for me.

Grande

For all of what Jackie did offer us in a hugely positive sense, sadly goals was not one of them, so for me, this Ladd and Zelem partnership is a much better fit for us.
This isn't to say that we will not miss Jackie, because we will for sure, but I think it is a better balanced two for me.
Well put.

RomfordRed75

Does anyone know if you can just turn up and pay on the door on Sunday? All I can see is that i need to register with West Ham to get tickets.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

madi5h

I have seen a fair few people bizarrely complaining about our 4-0 at Reading, & saying that we didn't score more in the second half, and come the end of the season that could cost us in terms of GD....

Nope, it is games like the West Ham away game last season, where we through away two points which hurt us far more, than not scoring 5 or more goals in a single game.

We need to rectify what went wrong last season, and certainly starting with two players who are naturally centre backs, will definitely be an upgrade on what we started with in the same game last season.

This game will not be an easy one, West Ham I thought played well against Everton, and they will certainly be confident of picking up something against us, so we need to be ready for that.

I am confident that if we start with the same team that started against Reading, that we can pick up the full 3 points, no matter what the winning scoreline is (if indeed we do manage to win), that is already a step up from last season, so putting to bed all of those people that are ever so strangely be critical of our 4-0 win...

I think people may be feeling its two symptoms of the same disease, not finishing out games as strong as we start them.
this could be down to letting complacency kick in, the players not bein quite fit enough for 90 mins, or just a general lack of killer instinct

maybe completely unrelated but i personally would hope skinner would be at least asking these questions

MUW4Eva

I think people may be feeling its two symptoms of the same disease, not finishing out games as strong as we start them.
this could be down to letting complacency kick in, the players not bein quite fit enough for 90 mins, or just a general lack of killer instinct

maybe completely unrelated but i personally would hope skinner would be at least asking these questions
We are talking about a 4-0 win here......why would we put extra unneeded energy into trying to score more goals in the second half, when the game was already over?

With respect to Reading, they knew that they were not going to come back, even to get a draw, so just take the win and move on.

Are there anyone who is complaining about Arsenal only scoring 4 past a side who were down to 10 players, for most of the game??

I bet both City & Chelsea would love to have the thought of scoring 4 in a single game!

The important thing here is the win, and thus, the three points, trying to be critical over this, is just unbelievably petty, and nit-picking for the sake of it.

Why can't we just be happy with a fabulous performance in the first half??

Comserve energy for when it is needed most, and when your 4-0 up, isn't the time nor place, to be over exerting players.

If, as I would hope, we all want to see us go far in every competition (WSL, FA Cup, & Conti Cup), then that will require our players to be fresh for as long as possible.

So, overall, I am simply delighted about the opening day win, it really couldn't have gone to plan any better than it did.

croadyman

We are talking about a 4-0 win here......why would we put extra unneeded energy into trying to score more goals in the second half, when the game was already over?

With respect to Reading, they knew that they were not going to come back, even to get a draw, so just take the win and move on.

Are there anyone who is complaining about Arsenal only scoring 4 past a side who were down to 10 players, for most of the game??

I bet both City & Chelsea would love to have the thought of scoring 4 in a single game!

The important thing here is the win, and thus, the three points, trying to be critical over this, is just unbelievably petty, and nit-picking for the sake of it.

Why can't we just be happy with a fabulous performance in the first half??

Comserve energy for when it is needed most, and when your 4-0 up, isn't the time nor place, to be over exerting players.

If, as I would hope, we all want to see us go far in every competition (WSL, FA Cup, & Conti Cup), then that will require our players to be fresh for as long as possible.

So, overall, I am simply delighted about the opening day win, it really couldn't have gone to plan any better than it did.
Yeah very true,if we have ambitions of finishing in that top 3 then need to improve record against Arsenal,Chelsea & City.

Grande

Where you thinking of my joke that we have been goalless the last half of the season so far? It was not meant as a complaint, quite the opposite. It was more a wannabewitty temperamce of some dawing a little two much out of the league stNding after one game. 4-0 is brilliant, and if we can cut down a bit on the goal difference advantage of Arse, Chelsea and Shitty, I’ll be delighted.

Yeah, but, naaah. It’s normal easing up abit at 4-0, there will be more important games.

MUW4Eva

Where you thinking of my joke that we have been goalless the last half of the season so far? It was not meant as a complaint, quite the opposite. It was more a wannabewitty temperamce of some dawing a little two much out of the league stNding after one game. 4-0 is brilliant, and if we can cut down a bit on the goal difference advantage of Arse, Chelsea and Shitty, I’ll be delighted.

Yeah, but, naaah. It’s normal easing up abit at 4-0, there will be more important games.

No I wasn't thinking of you or your posts, sorry if it came across like that, it was more to do with what I have seen elsewhere.

I just don't see how people can be in any way critical in a 4-0 win, that is sooo self entitled, it is a 4-0 win for crying out loud!!
Just enjoy it!!

If we can beat the sides we drew with last season, starting this weekend with West Ham, then that will go a long way to helping to improve upon our standing of last season.

So, worrying about GD at this stage is utterly bizarre and crazy.

Grande

No I wasn't thinking of you or your posts, sorry if it came across like that, it was more to do with what I have seen elsewhere.

I just don't see how people can be in any way critical in a 4-0 win, that is sooo self entitled, it is a 4-0 win for crying out loud!!
Just enjoy it!!

If we can beat the sides we drew with last season, starting this weekend with West Ham, then that will go a long way to helping to improve upon our standing of last season.

So, worrying about GD at this stage is utterly bizarre and crazy.
I agree with that.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

MUW4Eva

Do we think that he will change a winning side, or go with the same starting 11 that blew away Reading soooo easily??

Personally, I don't see why he would charge it, but he has to try to keep as many players as happy with game time as possible, & Tounkara & Parris presumably didn't join us to just be bench options....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If they're serious about growing the women's game, they should be televising all the matches, ffs.

phelans shorts

0-0 at half time. West Ham came into it a lot more near the end pressing us back, which did allow fast breaks from the likes of Galton.

Millie Turner put a header wide with the last touch of the half which if it was on target would likely have gone in.

RORY65

1-0, well taken goal by Garcia to get her first for the club.

phelans shorts

2-1, United furious that it should have been offside and I’d have to agree with them.

EDIT: with the ball already on the centre spot the referee went to the lino and then ruled it out, probably the right decision but a weirdly late one

madi5h

Zelem and Ladd partnership was excellent, as i suspected losing groenan might have its bright side (still sad:()

Grande

Zelem and Ladd partnership was excellent, as i suspected losing groenan might have its bright side (still sad:()
Yeah, Groenen is a fanrastic player in the right set up, but only Ladd can do what Ladd does for us, and Zelem is a huge threat on set pieces.

2-0 where we drew last year is a good way to continue!